Iran Sentences Game Developer To Death

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I have a penpall (well, e-mail, youknowwhatImean) in Iran who pretty much shares my opinion on this matter.
this is getting pretty ridiculous.

the irony is, a lot of people there find this case fishy, many think he's innocent but nobody is gonna protest this out of fear for a violent crackdown.
and if the shit hits the fan, the ones who've been pulling the strings are the last who will pay for it.

Avae

Aug 26, 2011
A Former US Marine who has links with the CIA and he skips onto a plane and flies to Iran?

What the heck was he thinking? This is the same as those US campers who ended up hiking into Iran from IRAQ................... Like really, what goes through these peoples heads? This is real life, not a TV show.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Planting the seeds of sedition in your nation, if true, is a valid reason to be put to death for.
To all those who protest otherwise, what does the USA do to spies? Or don't you know?

Empirically speaking, if you're calculating what sort of effect this would have on the future of the human species, I'd say most likely next to nothing.

SOPA is many orders of magnitude worse than this.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Wow.

Iran sure just went up on the U.S.'s shit list. I picked an interesting time to enlist in the US army.
Blue Hero said:
I've always wondered what it'd be like being executed. Maybe this guy can make a game about it afterwards so I can experience all the fun of execution with none of the death.
I... what? It's one thing to try and make a joke to ease tension off the situation. But this wasn't even close to kind of being funny.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You know, this could really kill their tourism...

Other than that, this is Iran; Their own citizens don't even wanna be there, why the hell would anyone else?

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
SteelStallion said:
funny how that place is shrouded in news propaganda, and we're so easily swayed and influenced by our own news and media.

"Iran fucking sucks and is killing people"

"DEATH TO IRAN RAAAVGGHHHH"

makes you wonder if it isn't just one side that is doing the manipulating. hmmmmmmmm...
My thoughts exactly, I read this and I just feel a bit weary on how much of this story is true ansd how much is exageration,fabrication or cherry-picked. Cause you can do the same thing to pretty all countrties, report only on the bad happenings and none of the positive aspects.

But they still shouldn't kill him for making video games, just deport.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
Planting the seeds of sedition in your nation, if true, is a valid reason to be put to death for.
Even if those planting the seeds of sedition believe they are bettering your life or to change what they feel is an unbearable government? Well I guess we need to start gunning down all of the "occupy" protesters... Or do they get trial first?

To all those who protest otherwise, what does the USA do to spies? Or don't you know?
Depends, is the spy captured in America or not? Is the spy an American citizen or not? If they are a citizen are they in the military or not? What kind of information was being passed along? Lastly, does the spy's country of origin have any of our spies captured at the time?

Depending on the severity of the espionage the consequences range from a FAIR trial and death in one extreme to a simple prisoner exchange in the other extreme. Barring any possibility of flipping the spy, of course.

Empirically speaking, if you're calculating what sort of effect this would have on the future of the human species, I'd say most likely next to nothing.
I honestly hope you are right. I really do. Worst case scenario- Iran kills him, US declares war, Iran unveils nuclear weapons, begins Cold War part 2 (except Iranian leaders are bat shit crazy and will launch), US either stands down and emboldens Iran or calls the bluff and....

SOPA is many orders of magnitude worse than this.
Depends, I have actually read the bill and it does not seem that bad. I take issue with one part of it, but it is not the "interwebz is gonna die" bill people make it out to be.

Seriously, read it. All of it. I did.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:

OT- Anyway Iran is going to have to be shown their place at some point in time. If the world does not stop these shenanigans now we will have to do it when Iran starts waving around nuclear weapons, and that will be a much more difficult situation.

Jan 27, 2011
*facepalm*

Modsbannit, Iran...What the hell are you doing?

If they go through with this, there will be a shitstorm and a half. And I for one hope that the fallout doesn't reach Canada.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
*kggh* "This is agent Amir Mizra Hekmati to HQ, their legal system is bullshit!" *kggh*

*kggh* "Copy that, agent Hekmati, good work." *kggh*

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Sarge034 said:
Worst case scenario- Iran kills him, US declares war, Iran unveils nuclear weapons, begins Cold War part 2 (except Iranian leaders are bat shit crazy and will launch), US either stands down and emboldens Iran or calls the bluff and....
Huh.
Are you serious?

Obviously your opinion of SOPA is completely worthless if you think that is even a possibility.

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
Its been said many times.. but

What The hell is a former Marine/US citizen doing developing videogames in Iran.
Oh and Also.. -> Iran and the Us are having beef over the oil transport n what not.. This probably has something to do with it.. Now Iran has leverage: "keep your ships out and we´ll give you back your guy"

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Seraj said:
Why on earth hasn't there been a revolution there then?
There has.. that's why the Iranian government exists.

Revolutions don't always go well.

Sodoff said:
What The hell is a former Marine/US citizen doing developing videogames in Iran.
He has dual nationality.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
Sarge034 said:
Worst case scenario- Iran kills him, US declares war, Iran unveils nuclear weapons, begins Cold War part 2 (except Iranian leaders are bat shit crazy and will launch), US either stands down and emboldens Iran or calls the bluff and....
Huh.
Are you serious?

Obviously your opinion of SOPA is completely worthless if you think that is even a possibility.
I'm confused, did you quote the wrong part of my post? This is the section where I say what the worst case scenario for the world is. Or are you implying that SOPA is worse than a nuclear war?

Also I would just like to point out that my opinion of SOPA is worth just as much, or more, than yours is. I only say "or more" because I don't know if you are in the US and have voting rights or not. However, I know I am in the US and I do have voting rights. Both of those things makes my opinion pretty important.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, basically Iran is being Iran. But did I read that right that they aren't allowing him to speak to foreign counsel? That's just wrong. I know the U.S. will not enter the country, but Sweden has always represented U.S. interests there. Why aren't they being allowed to speak to this man?

ReinWeisserRitter said:
I feel badly for the guy, as our government is shady and lacking in credibility at best, and horrendously manipulative and self-serving at worst. While he probably felt he was doing the right thing, he was probably convinced to do it just to further some asshole's political agenda, not the greater good.

I'd like to be wrong, of course, but it's not where I'd put my money if I were a betting type.
You realize that claim is being made by Iran, right? A country that isn't exactly the most honest or trustworthy, right? I mean more so than usual. Iran is known to create false confessions. If fact...

Combustion Kevin said:
I have a penpall (well, e-mail, youknowwhatImean) in Iran who pretty much shares my opinion on this matter.
this is getting pretty ridiculous.

the irony is, a lot of people there find this case fishy, many think he's innocent but nobody is gonna protest this out of fear for a violent crackdown.
and if the shit hits the fan, the ones who've been pulling the strings are the last who will pay for it.
This. Even the Iranian people find this fishy. It's almost like they have reason to distrust their government. You know like, fixing an election and then violently cracking down on the populace and jailing large numbers of people who protested it for months on end.

Avae said:
A Former US Marine who has links with the CIA and he skips onto a plane and flies to Iran?

What the heck was he thinking? This is the same as those US campers who ended up hiking into Iran from IRAQ................... Like really, what goes through these peoples heads? This is real life, not a TV show.
First, the allegations of links to the CIA are being made by Iran. I would bet money that if Joe Q. Public entered Iran, he would be picked up and charged with espionage and accused of having connections to the CIA. Just because, according to Iran, every American is working for the CIA. Makes sense, right?

Second, there was some reason to believe that the U.S. hikers were abducted from Iraq. They were very close to the Iran/Iraq border. It wouldn't have been hard to cross in and out. Personally, I think they accidentally crossed the border without realizing it and were taken into custody. The border isn't exactly marked out there.