is 0 even or odd?

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Um, Zero is even. It is also an integer. I won't bother reposting the relevant links.

Holy shit.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Even, yo. It's between 1 and -1, and all numbers ending in a zero are even.

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
Fagotto said:
poppabaggins said:
the lack of math knowledge here is appalling.

zero is even
proof by definition:

a real number n is even if 2*n is an integer.
0 is an integer (by the definition of the set of integers)
therefore, 0 is a real number (the set of integers is a subset of the set of real numbers)

2*0 = 0
0 is even QED

this site has a fairly multinational userbase, and I have counted answers both correct and incorrect from 3 separate countries. so much for "stupid americans" and their bad math skills.
I think you need to correct that first part. It should be more like 'A real number k is even if k = 2*n where n is an integer"
Good catch, sir. outrage blinded my typing. Fixing
If I knew how to use latex, I would have done that.
More precise:
Even = {2*n : n is an element of Z}

cyberblade507

Apr 30, 2011
I believe three things qualify me to say that that zero is, in most if not all meaningful cases, zero is even.

1: I am a college senior majoring in Astronomy (heavy mathematics requirements).
2: I have a friend who is a high school math teacher who agrees that zero is even.
3: The definition of an even number: any integer (3.5: which does include zero) that is divisible by two with no remainder. (Satisfies the equation @=2*N, where @ is the even number and N is some number; both @ and N must be integers).

Moreover, zero is most definitely not odd, as an odd number must follow this equation:

#=2*M+1

Where # is the odd number and M is any other number. Both # and M must be integers. Zero cannot satisfy this equation in the # position, thus it is not odd.

Finally, zero is not neither because it can satisfy one of the above two equations, making it either even or odd.

EDIT: Changed a couple of symbols for clarity.

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
Heathrow said:
Scipio1770 said:
please enlighten us then.
I suppose the simplest way would be to stop trying to quantify 0 as an integer, that means parity wouldn't try to describe it at all. Unless of course there's some reason an unquantifiable concept absolutely has to be counted among the natural numbers.
well what is the alternative though? if you don't qualify 0 as an integer then is it still a real number at least? if not then you're basically cutting up the number line, you get -.000... ...1 and .000... ...1 with a hole in the middle.

It's not like zero is such an intangible concept anyway..

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Three answers:

Even. -1 = odd, 0 = even, 1 = odd, etc.

Even. 0 / 2 = 0.

Not a number, it's nil. Or the lack of a number. (I don't really get this argument, but it's pretty common.)

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Zero is just zero because of conflicting mathematical rules. There's reasons for it to be even and odd so it's just classified as zero.

/thread

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
It amazes me how much people think they know math.

There are a lot of definitions of the even numbers (my favorite is the ideal generated by 2) and 0 fits all of them. I am, of course, assuming that we're working in Z.

Stako

Apr 2, 2011
Now, let me introduce my mathematic logics:

since 2 = 1+1 therefore 2=1, therefore every number except 0 is equal to 1, which means 0 isn't a number.

Vulcan logic. Pure.

PS: Neither.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Buchholz101 said:
Nothingness cannot be classified into any category or class. It simply isn't.
But Zero isn't nothingness.

And wouldn't the fact that nothingness has attributes such as being unclassifiable, make it have it's own special class of being?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Zero is neither.
It is a mathematical concept that tries to define nothingness or the lack of something.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
well assuming you believe zero is a numeric representation of nothing. even.for if you were to take zero of an object and evenly split it for two (actually any number of) people, neither would have more than the other.