Is "c***" just a replacement for "f*****?"

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
I'm not a habitual user of the term myself, but I'm sure tempted to pick it up every time I come across these kind of disapproval circles. "Only stupid kids use the gross word!" does come across as a sign that it works as intended, "stupid" having overtaken a simple "bad" as a go-to stigma for use on the patronized when they get uppity. So maybe it's better to get in on the game before it inevitably loses its power from overuse.

As for the finer points of meaning, I see it as obviously semantically connected to "cuckoo", a bird that lays its eggs in the nest of another bird and lets the other bird hatch it like a sucker. It seems to be used for people who appear to be hatching ideologies hostile to themselves in their minds in a comparable manner, like self-hating men making a constant ritual display of "checking their privilege". So there's actually quite a perceptive analogy behind the development of this obviously very evocative term that belies simplistic kneejerk dismissals. But then, the knee tends to jerk when a nerve has been tapped.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Both are still used, but '******' has kind of worn down in severity. 'Cuck' is closer to 'beta' or 'pussy' than anything else, since it is used by alt-righters towards neo-cons and 'un-committed' right wingers, as well as the entirety of the left wing.

In more general terms, it's anyone who lets someone step all over them and accept it as being the right thing to be done.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Windknight said:
The main one I think of is Othello, where the (black) title character is tricked into thinking his wife has cheated on him, which makes me wonder if that's where the racial aspect of the fetish came from.

Suffice to say, with that literally being the only place I encountered the word (in high school no less), my reaction to its use as an insult is 'my days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle'
It comes up in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales before that (Miller's Tale); from my school days too.

I find that anyone who uses the term to insult someone can be cheerfully discounted as so pointless they win the Coveted Pointless Trophy.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
StatusNil said:
I'm not a habitual user of the term myself, but I'm sure tempted to pick it up every time I come across these kind of disapproval circles. "Only stupid kids use the gross word!" does come across as a sign that it works as intended, "stupid" having overtaken a simple "bad" as a go-to stigma for use on the patronized when they get uppity. So maybe it's better to get in on the game before it inevitably loses its power from overuse.
'It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid, than open your mouth and prove you are.'

Seriously, imitating a child who's learned a swear word and says it over and over because adults gasp when they do isn't exactly the best way to present yourself.

Smoketrail

May 15, 2015
Phasmal said:
(reads thread)

...Huh.

You guys ever think about how fucking weird the internet is, sometimes? And I don't mean in the 'lul internetz' kind of way. I mean just... can you imagine meeting someone in real life who thinks "cuck" is a good comeback against someone they disagree with?
I mean, I'm sure these people exist, but I can't really imagine interacting with them.
I have the misfortune of working with such a person, once declaring that Israel had thoroughly "cucked" the Palestinians. In response I've taken to referring to him as though he were my teen aged son, which annoys him no end as he's 24.

Dreiko said:
Also, in my understanding, the term is not used literally but rather metaphorically, to indicate that someone is taking pleasure in being betrayed or that someone would gladly sell out his own.
The problem with that argument is that there is no logical connection between "your wife is sleeping around" and "you are a traitor/sell out". It is instead an insult to their masculinity, and the idea that you have failed to live up to the accusers fantasy of manly men upholding manly values (that is to say right-wing values).

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
StatusNil said:
As for the finer points of meaning, I see it as obviously semantically connected to "cuckoo", a bird that lays its eggs in the nest of another bird and lets the other bird hatch it like a sucker. It seems to be used for people who appear to be hatching ideologies hostile to themselves in their minds in a comparable manner, like self-hating men making a constant ritual display of "checking their privilege". So there's actually quite a perceptive analogy behind the development of this obviously very evocative term that belies simplistic kneejerk dismissals. But then, the knee tends to jerk when a nerve has been tapped.
Or.. you know, you could just Google the word with safesearch off.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Windknight said:
The main one I think of is Othello, where the (black) title character is tricked into thinking his wife has cheated on him, which makes me wonder if that's where the racial aspect of the fetish came from.
It more likely comes from that old stereotype that the black men are going to steal away all the white men's wives with their big penises. You know; the Mandingo scenario.

Mar 26, 2008
bastardofmelbourne said:
Windknight said:
It more likely comes from that old stereotype that the black men are going to steal away all the white men's wives with their big penises. You know; the Mandingo scenario.
I thought a recent survey showed that on average Scandinavian men had the biggest penises. Perhaps they should have been more concerned about the Vikings...

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Smoketrail said:
Phasmal said:
(reads thread)

...Huh.

You guys ever think about how fucking weird the internet is, sometimes? And I don't mean in the 'lul internetz' kind of way. I mean just... can you imagine meeting someone in real life who thinks "cuck" is a good comeback against someone they disagree with?
I mean, I'm sure these people exist, but I can't really imagine interacting with them.
I have the misfortune of working with such a person, once declaring that Israel had thoroughly "cucked" the Palestinians. In response I've taken to referring to him as though he were my teen aged son, which annoys him no end as he's 24.

Dreiko said:
Also, in my understanding, the term is not used literally but rather metaphorically, to indicate that someone is taking pleasure in being betrayed or that someone would gladly sell out his own.
The problem with that argument is that there is no logical connection between "your wife is sleeping around" and "you are a traitor/sell out". It is instead an insult to their masculinity, and the idea that you have failed to live up to the accusers fantasy of manly men upholding manly values (that is to say right-wing values).
Actually, no. If we presume that most wives are not heartless bitches, it is the fault or deficiency of the man that she cheated. Be it that she felt he wouldn't mind (primary cause of usin the term from what I've seen) or that he failed to satisfy her and make her not wish to cheat.

You are a traitor to your wife with whom you made a promise to be monogamous with if you decide you don't care about it any more or if you fail to pull your end of the deal. It is a very critical failure, one that cuts deep, hence I think an apt insult for when it is fitting.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Qizx said:
Anyone who says it unironically is a fucking tool.
This. Anyone who uses this word unironically I dismiss as a nonentity. And those would be the alt-right "people".
Now that alt-right authors and activists are in the White House, running the western world, you can expect this kind of terminology to be normalized.

Expect plenty of people comming out as Alt-Right both on the internet and in real life.

Apr 24, 2008
bartholen said:
Well kind of. I think the difference is that cuck has a more specific meaning, at least in some parts. You could call someone a "fag" for liking anime for example, but not a cuck. "Cucking oneself" to my understanding means bending under pressure, giving in to outside demands, whatever they may be. The ways I've seen the word being used would point to the direction that being called a "cuck" implies weakness, lack of willpower and confidence, and an inability to stand by one's principles or a total lack of principles altogether. Based on this an example would be someone who calls themselves a feminist and agrees with everything they say just because it's their only way of getting closer to women.

But of course the word is used by mindless fuckwit drones who just parrot anything their circlejerk overlords blurt out, so it basically means jack shit.
I believe this is very close, and that the winner should get a chicken dinner.

Your KFC gift-card is in the mail.

Dirty Cop James funs said:
First and foremost, you're all a bunch of fa-wait... this ISN'T a WW thread?!?! What the fuck?

Yeah, Silent Pony summed it up. But I like to add something on the word fag/******:

Fag stopped being a slur towards homosexuals and become it's own honorific or something. Especially in places like 4chan.

Examples include:
Drawfag
Writefag
Animiefag
Touhoufag
Techfag
Eurofag
'Muricanfag
Canadafag
Newfag
Oldfag
Straightfag
Cisfag

and many, many more.
I don't 4chan, but I believe I've heard this explained as a way of devaluing the word. "If everyone is a fag, then noone is a fag".
The Lunatic said:
Well, fag has kinda become a non-insult.

I mean, I'm gay myself, and it's a word I use towards gay friends, and they use it back. I guess in some ways, it's kinda been taken back by the gay community, and in general has just lost a lot of the impact it used to have.

Kinda like "Queer", I guess.

Cuck though, is just sorta a generic catch-all seemingly aimed at leftists for lacking masculinity, or any ability to defend what's theirs.

It's not really a very logical insult, but, then again, they never are.

Calling somebody an asshole, does not literally mean they are an asshole.

Likewise, motherfuckers are a lot rarer than the usage would have you believe.

And so on.
It basically boils down to weak, submissive and overly beholden to others and/or the dominant culture. Inability to think for yourself or be principled.

It's not about watching other guys fuck your wife. That's not how it's used at all. (I know you didn't say it was, but some people seem to think the etymology actually matters to how it's used here)

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
Smoketrail said:
Phasmal said:
(reads thread)

...Huh.

Dreiko said:
Actually, no. If we presume that most wives are not heartless bitches, it is the fault or deficiency of the man that she cheated. Be it that she felt he wouldn't mind (primary cause of usin the term from what I've seen) or that he failed to satisfy her and make her not wish to cheat.

You are a traitor to your wife with whom you made a promise to be monogamous with if you decide you don't care about it any more or if you fail to pull your end of the deal. It is a very critical failure, one that cuts deep, hence I think an apt insult for when it is fitting.
And people claim that feminists are the ones trying to hold down men and masculinity.....

It would have been much quicker for you to just acknowledge that you are one of the people who uses the word unironically. Your couple of paragraphs and complete misunderstanding of relationship dynamics does the same thing.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Well, I have never used it since I am polite generally but I also don't clutch my pearls when I hear it either. Words are tools, they are there to do a certain job so why limit one's options.

As for feminists and all that, I don't know anything about that lol. Even if some group were to try to hold men down it'd be the failure of the individual who failed to endure. Each group will work for its own good in the end.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Dreiko said:
Words are tools, they are there to do a certain job so why limit one's options.
Yes, you should definitely keep open the option of looking like a stereotypical basement-dweller. It's a real plus for your CV.

Edit: I can't be bothered to address your weird ideas about relationships, but I will say that the way you appear to view them isn't healthy. But YMMV I guess. I hope so anyway.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
What's with the strange censorship of the topic title?

Is "cuck" even a swear word? I've certainly never come across any instance where it is considered vulgar.

Ironically, by ambiguously censoring "cuck" and "******" in the topic title and censoring every letter except the first, the topic title now scans as Is "****" just a replacement for "fucker"?, which is far more vulgar than what it was originally.