Is gaming dead for you?

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
No, but the community by in large needs to be taken the way of Old Yeller.

Enthusiasm has died though, innocence of the community was rather brutally taken. Take a look at that post for Deadpool's new game and you'll behold a sea of.. "I really don't wanna get excited yet."

But beyond not wanting to get enthusiastic for games? There is so much of a lack of reason to be enthusiastic for people like me. Ashens and Guru Larry did a wonderful video on E3 that pretty much summed up nicely what it has devolved into. For me personally? E3 was an advertisement for one, long, mediocre first person shooter. 85% of which was brown.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Vegosiux said:
Actually, I never claimed that "extension". I don't even see why you'd think why taking an issue with someone's attitude would make such an "extension" necessary.

Or in other words - I didn't actually say that, nor did I imply it. You made that part up.
Because of the attitude that you took in order to oppose his attitude. You stated that his attitude was "plain wrong". That's being contrary for the sake of starting an argument. There was no reason for you to include a statement like that, and yet you did anyway. In fact, judging by hazabaza's response to your post, you actually edited your post to include stating that his attitude was wrong.

And the point of an extension is that it's indirectly implied without the person stating so. It's how passive-aggressive people on the internet like to argue.
Just read and stop putting words in his mouth so you can argue with them. I know you want to put that English degree to work since you ended up flipping burgers, but you have to debate what's actually there, not inferring additional points.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Kennah said:
So I have to ask. Has gaming died for you or what?
No because there's tonnes of fucking awesome games still left to play. I've said this before but if you can't see that then just fucking leave, this argument is bogus.
You don't like it? GTFO!.

How post-9/11 America of you.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
"With all the beautiful games in this world, why sit here chirping negativity?"

-Me, editing a quote I found on Facebook.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sylveria said:
Just read and stop putting words in his mouth so you can argue with them. I know you want to put that English degree to work since you ended up flipping burgers, but you have to debate what's actually there, not inferring additional points.
This is probably the single most arrogant and presumptuous thing I've ever read in my entire life. And I'm not going to dignify it with anything else.

Good day.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
No. No and no again. Gaming is better than ever. It's just the usual catatonic media-hungry crowd who are bringing up the issues which are flooding the gaming community at the moment.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
Golan Trevize said:
legendp said:
Definitely not, for me it's better than ever right now. Sure games are shorter but as far as I am concerned are of far better quality, games like the Witcher 2, mass effect 2 (and 3 with the exception of the ending), portal 2, batman arkam city, the firts crysis game, starcraft 2, uncharted 3, Hell I even thought bulletstorm was a great game. As for syndicate, it may have been short but the gameplay and atmosphere was actually alright (don't know why everyone hated it). Then there is the wealth of indie games like amnesia the dark decent, trine 1 and 2, Q.U.B.E and many many brilliant more. Gaming is currently better than ever but some people love to find any reason to hate on whats new, sure there are classics but they are few and far between. in the past 3 year more high quality fun game have been released than all the games released before 2003 (in my opinion, ofcourse)

also, I hate to be a grammar nazi. But I never understood why people do this this, shouldn't the phrase be "I couldn't care less". because if you say I could care less, that means you can care less than you currently are (get what I mean), then agian my own grammar is pretty bad (I just hate when people use that phrase incorrectly)
Everyone hated the new Syndicate because it was based on a mediocre isometric action game from the 90's.
hating on a game because it's not accurate to it's 10+ year old routes I think can be a little ridiculous (especailly when you can see that other than the name they are two different games entirely), if the game been called something else than I doubt people would have had such a problem, I didn't care for the original syndicate and I downloaded the advanced config tool (allowed me to turn down bloom and turn off grain) I got it cheap aswell ($30)

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Not trying to beat this dead horse so I hope no one picks up on it but for me the console market is almost dead. The PC and handheld market is actually thriving for me.

As Jim Sterling pointed out in one of his controversial episodes, consoles are just adopting the worst of PC's practices and in some cases actually making them worse. It is way more convenient and cheaper for me to stick with the PC and handheld's especially since the "exclusives" for consoles are getting a bit too bland to sell anymore.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Seeing as how its my job, a little part of it has died. The part where I separated the professional from the Casual. Seeing as how I'm making games, I pick every game that I plow apart. Its less of a dynamic sense of escapism and more psychological analysis and introspection on player behavior.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Nope, gaming is still alive for me and I'm glad to have a wide range of platforms to choose. Sure we've had flops and disappointments but that's not the sum of the gaming industry, right?

I think we're just going through a phase similar to adolescence and I point most of the blame to gamers and game creators as a whole - trying too hard to justify games.

Games has always been seen as infantile and childish, but someone came along and tried to justify games as being an art form like movies. Games as a whole is probably at a stage where it's experimenting between being entertainment and a story telling medium.

Hopefully we'll clear the air and find our identity soon.

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010
Of course not! In fact, I think we'll see now pretty amazing stuff from gaming pretty soon. With gaming become a more accepted and popular medium, and an increase in popularity with programs like Kickstarter, I think we'll see some very interesting things happening in the gaming industry as a whole.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
No. That would be ridiculous. It's video games. I just like to play games in peace and enjoy the good things instead of complaining about everything else.

KRbertsproduck5

May 29, 2010
Its not the same. I havent had that "holy shit that was awesome" feelings in some of the newer games. All these run and gun games just don't do it for me as much as a nice RPG on the PS1 or 2 did.

Yali

Jul 2, 2012
PC Gaming can never be dead to me. It?s my passion and has been for a very long time. It has changed a lot, though. Some things are better nowadays, others are worse. If I can?t find a new title to play, there are tons of older titles that I can fall back on.

Console gaming has always been dead to me, though. So dead that I don?t even bother to go and poke it with a stick. Sometime I think of it as the spoiled brat evil twin of PC gaming who insists on ?having it MY WAY!!!!? like when developers opt for pleasing the console crowd and forget that console UIs look like shit when you look at them from 2 feet away.

I just hope Kickstarter will be successful, alive and well for a good while. The way things evolve in that department are really exciting. And what?s not to like about supporting the underdog developers :D

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Games are changing. With all the talk about gaming as art, I think videogames are finding its own language. How to tell a story with interactivity. I think games are on the verge of becoming something magnificent if developers do things right.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
No, gaming is alive and kicking for me. Firstly, far as I remember, games have always been buggy pieces of shit, at least some of them.

Secondly, the sexism and violence of gaming is only an issue because games are growing up. Suddenly they don't get to protect themselves by saying, "We're just games!", instead they have to actually face being an artform.

NoobSaibot

Jun 28, 2012
Sort of. I don't like how things are changing with DLC, online passes, always online DRM, and things like that. I find myself more and more attracted to older games where you can just put in the disk and not worry about stuff like that. I'm buying less and less new titles because I refuse to dish out for DLC, or buy games with online passes, and because of such, my pool is becoming smaller. I won't stop with gaming with new consoles unless the companies do something absolutely stupid (like blocking used titles, which probably won't happen).

As for sexism and violence, we could use more decently clothed females, but that's always been an issue and it hasn't stopped me from enjoying what I already do. Those issues has existed since Doom and they're probably always going to be there.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Gaming?! Dead?!

Dear god, no! By no means is it dead, it's quite alive and well!

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
as totalbiscuit said , gaming is maturing and with that come changes and people start accepting those kind of topics (in this case rape)
Not that I'm in a habit of agreeing with TotalBiscuit, but that's by far the best explanation of what's going on in the gaming world today. Namely what has always been going on, irrational people worrying about some sort of end for decent gaming, when really the market is just changing.