Is gaming dead for you?

Feb 24, 2011
CarlMinez said:
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
as totalbiscuit said , gaming is maturing and with that come changes and people start accepting those kind of topics (in this case rape)
Not that I'm in a habit of agreeing with TotalBiscuit, but that's by far the best explanation of what's going on in the gaming world today. Namely what has always been going on, irrational people worrying about some sort of end for decent gaming, when really the market is just changing.
i don't really think that the market is changing as much as the main audience for games are growing older, the people who enjoyed games were the kids who played games when gaming was still a new thing.now they are adults who are able to handle this kind of thing and they also will be able to have the right emotions when a character gets involved with these kinds of moments (rape , torture etc.).
well... this is what i get from all of this , and from me growing up with games and brothers who play games.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
You're asking the users of a very popular gaming website if they think gaming is dead? Surely the popularity of websites such as Kotaku, Destructoid and The Escapist is evidence against that.

For me, no, gaming is not dead. I'm currently going through a lull where I am a bit bored of gaming, but I'll pick it up again soon. This happens for a few months every other year.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
If gaming is dead, then I'm going to continue digging up it's corpse and toying with its decaying nadgers as long as it entertains me.

Dante DiVongola

Jul 1, 2011
Gaming is kinda meh to me. More or less because I'm growing up as a person rather than games potentially getting shittier. As a kid, I would spend all day playing one game. Now, I spend maybe 2-4 hours on a game, then I'm done for the day (possibly stretching out till the next day). The only thing I will say about games these days is that I would really like it if they made something like Conker or Gex again. Just some wacky, goofy game with a loose plot and filled with lots of humor. I might be missing it since a lot of indie games have come to fruition these days, but feel free to point 'em out if there are games like that.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Grenge Di Origin said:
Idea for a social experiment:

1. Get an indie developer to develop a SNES game (or a game that was within the SNES' hardware limitations)
2. Release it on some ROM site, with a couple of "fan made" trailers for it to promote it
3. Claim that it was released in 1993/4/5
4. See gamers play and love it
5. Reveal that it was made this year
6. ???
Well, um, what exactly would you prove by doing something like that? Plus, I doubt thhat would fool anyone who seriously gamed in the SNES era. It would be really hard to believe that suddenly a new game from mid-nineties popped up that the entire SNES bunch completely forgot about.

But yes I bet you'd get some hipster kids, yes, of course, but we know that without doing the experiment.

TheLizardKing

May 4, 2012
Gaming isn't dead for me yet, but the way things are going it will be.

Btw this is my opinion so don't go around saying that i'm claiming it to be fact as alot of you do on here.

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
I think it's all perspective, at least for me. Most of us started when we were coming of age (I assume) so there were things back then that just WOWED us and blew our minds. While gaming may be in fact getting better, we just don't have that mind blown effect. We'll look forward to a game, buy it, play the stuffing out of it, and set it down to either never been seen again or picked up here and there, but it lacks the nostalgia that our former games have had. And to that, I believe it's all perspective.

Take this year for example:
Resident Evil 6
Hitman Absolution
Splinter Cell Blacklist
New Tomb Raider
Halo 4?

The Last of Us
Watch Dogs

I was contemplating retiring gaming altogether around a year ago or two, the remakes weren't interesting, the friends list was slowly disbanding, and yet, suddenly, a lot of games I'm looking forward to are coming out all around the same time. Sure they won't be great, new, or mind blowing, but I'll have a helluva lotta' fun, so why hate just because it won't become your new #1 fantasy blowing away all the dreams of your past, Ya'know?

Aug 1, 2010
Is gaming dead for me? Fuck no. As far as I am concerned, gaming is better than it has ever been.

The better question is: Is this forum dead to me? And the answer is..... Almost. No other site I have seen has festered the silly arguments as much as we have. I straight up left for several months during the whole ME3 shitstorm. For the last few weeks, the news, the threads and the videos have been almost entirely about things like the nonsensical accusations of sexism that the OP brought up.

Yes, SOME discussion of these things should take place, but when the entire first page of threads is how much someone thinks ME3 sucked, how bad sexism is and how taboo rape is, something is very wrong.

Damn.... I've needed to get that out for a while.

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
As quite a few others have said, gaming for me is better now than ever. I?m 35 and have been gaming since I was about 4 or 5 years old, but I am still not jaded by it at all.

There is so much choice now for game type and gaming platform, gaming is also now even more convenient than ever.

I play fun games like?Hero Academy and Plants v Zombies on my way to and from work, and can then settle down with something like Max Payne 3 or Skyrim when I get home.
(wife permitting.... ;) )

What?s not to like?

Oct 30, 2010
Just on distribution alone this is the best of times. Until next year.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Vegosiux said:
hazabaza1 said:
I hate when people nostalgia it up and say how gaming was better in "the old days" because there was still a fair amount of shit back then, we just remember the good stuff.
I hate it when people assume that there's no way someone could have actually truly preferred gaming in the old times. Nope, just nostalgia. Gaming is bets it's ever been and all you need to do to agree is take those rose-tinted glasses off.

Seriously, that attitude is just appalling. Not to say plain wrong. Sure, you might think so, good for you, just don't expect everyone else to agree with you.
I agree with everything this guy said.

Last year I played Gothic 2 and Deus Ex for the first time, and they were vastly superior to everything made in the past few years, except maybe for Mass Effect and Risen. The sense of wonder, exploration, discovery, DANGER, and immersion are something that game studios have forgotten how to make. This isn't nostalgia talking because I never played them before.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I wouldn't be reading this topic in the Games Discussion forum if gaming was dead for me.

I like videgames. Very, very much so. In fact I might play a videogame soon. yeaahh

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Gaming is by no means dead to me (in some ways its never been better) however you did touch on a point close to my heart. Buggy releases. It seems these days its perfectly acceptable to release a game - at full price, with known bugs, sometimes even gamebreakers, and use the paying public as some sort of free beta testers. Then release a patch "some time later" that fixes the bugs, but only the ones that people shouted loudest about. It seems the advent of online updates for games has allowed developers to become sloppy with their release standards. And that just really grinds my gears....

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
TallanKhan said:
Gaming is by no means dead to me (in some ways its never been better) however you did touch on a point close to my heart. Buggy releases. It seems these days its perfectly acceptable to release a game - at full price, with known bugs, sometimes even gamebreakers, and use the paying public as some sort of free beta testers. Then release a patch "some time later" that fixes the bugs, but only the ones that people shouted loudest about. It seems the advent of online updates for games has allowed developers to become sloppy with their release standards. And that just really grinds my gears....
To make matters worse, the people who paid launch price experience the most bugs but by the time the patches are released, they are finished with the game. The people who waited for a price drop are getting the better experience.

Not free beta testers, beta testers that pay $60 for the honor.

As for the OP, yes, gaming is dying for me. I look at the 360 with disgust seeing what it has become (an ad filled cable box) and I have no intention of giving Microsoft anymore money. Not for Live and not for the Adbox 8.

I look at the WiiU and I shake my head. I don't want a home version DSi. I hear about the PS4 possibly integrating commercials into my games, that's an absolute no-go.

PC gaming is great though.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Nope.

What's awesome is that there is always a genre that I enjoyed or have discovered to be entertaining and then just dive in to the various great games that are associated with that genre.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If gaming is dead to you because of discussions of sexism/violence/etc... you're doing it terribly, TERRIBLY wrong.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Video games have entered a direction I largely don't want out of video games. As they become more cinematic and attempt to push more and more toward this "video games as art" movement I hate so much, the games of reflexes, simple and engaging gameplay, and catchy tunes is getting left further and further behind.

I'm not saying the kinds of games I like are better, but they way they're largely turning out now isn't for me. Grittiness, realism, presentation, wow factor, plot, dramatic cut scenes, big budgets, and artsiness isn't what got me into video games, and now that they're favored over what I consider the real sustenance of a title - the gameplay, playing the actual freaking game being the primary draw - there may soon be a day where I don't feel the need to play a new video game ever again.

The games I do enjoy are still there though, still playable, and I'm still finding games of the past I never got to have a go at in their own time, and even one or two in the present that emulate their style, so there's still enough for me to play here and there. And don't get me wrong, not every modern game isn't something that I can't stand, but a trend has developed, and it's leaving me behind.