Is Iron Man Ripping Off the Prince of Persia?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Coincidence, although to me the whips are reminiscent of the chain the Dark Prince had.

And that glowing yellow crap could easily pass as sand if you said it was.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's hard to imagine that this is coincidental, seeing how the two images look so very alike.
Its not for me, especially since them looking so much alike is exactly what the term 'coincidence' is supposed to cover. Its a pretty standard badass pose thats been used plenty long before Prince of Persia and they're not all that much alike. So, yeah, you're probably overthinking it a bit.

Cool theory though. We'll just have to wait to see if they'll use so much slo-mo that parts of the film run in reverse. ;D

SamSmith

Sep 13, 2008
There is no reason why Iron Man would try to copy a Prince of Persia poster. Iron is bigger and better known that Prince of Persia, and it's not as if they're trying to being in the crowd who have only heard of Prince of Persia, because there is not doubt that they have also heard of Iron man too.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I think its just coincidence, they look similar but not similar enough for me to even realise they were that alike unless pointed out.

I also totally thought that was Iron Man too..

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Iron Man or Whiplash, doesn't change the image itself being a pretty clear copy :p
Ahaha, Funk! You're a funny man.
On Topic: I don't think it's a copy. I mean, sure they look similar, but really it's this: A generic 'bad ass with weapons' pose.
I'm sure if we looked harder, we could find plenty of movie posters, album covers, and game art that has a similar pose.
Seems a bit of a stretch to say it's a rip-off.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
bmart008 said:
yeah even I could tell that wasn't Iron Man, and I have no idea who whiplash is. That's just bad journalism.
Did you even read the article? Or do you just have a crippling fear of parentheses? He flat out says that it's Mickey Rourke as Whiplash at the end of the first paragraph. The title is referring to the poster ripping off PoP, not the character. /rant

Anyway, copied or not, it just looks cool.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
^
Baby Tea said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Iron Man or Whiplash, doesn't change the image itself being a pretty clear copy :p
On Topic: I don't think it's a copy. I mean, sure they look similar, but really it's this: A generic 'bad ass with weapons' pose.
I'm sure if we looked harder, we could find plenty of movie posters, album covers, and game art that has a similar pose.
Agreed, my money is on it being a coincidence

chefassassin2

Jan 2, 2009
In an admittedly pretentious moment, I just want to say a couple things. I see the resemblance, but I've also seen that same pose anytime an artist wants to show a badass character with two weapons. I've seen it with Star Wars, X-men, Batman, generally all over the place. Plus, even if it is pretty similar, I still think it's quite a striking image, making Rourke look even more sketchy than usual.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
well...most likely the character was in iron man before prince of Persia even looked like he does now. I'm pretty sure its just a coincidences(and if anything prince of Persia ripped off iron man =P)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
CantFaketheFunk said:
Nah, I think you're looking into it too much. A triangle composition is often used in art for its strong lines and promoting the eye to be drawn to a specific point, many famous works of art are structured this way. The outstretched arms draw the eyes to the face. It's not pure coincidence or intentionally copying, just basic design structure.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think its prolly just a coincidance, but, still it looks awesone none the less!

Really intrested to see how both films will work out

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Baby Tea said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Especially considering the Prince of Persia movie is probably going to be a blatant in-name-only rip-off of one of the more original and endearing games of the last console generation.

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
hittite said:
bmart008 said:
yeah even I could tell that wasn't Iron Man, and I have no idea who whiplash is. That's just bad journalism.
Did you even read the article? Or do you just have a crippling fear of parentheses? He flat out says that it's Mickey Rourke as Whiplash at the end of the first paragraph. The title is referring to the poster ripping off PoP, not the character. /rant

Anyway, copied or not, it just looks cool.
Edit button ;)

Anyway, the article doesn't really make sense anymore. If this was a darker Iron Man, sure, I could see it and the point. But it's not, it's just the bad guy in a classic pose. It says nothing of the movie.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Of course, because Prince of Persia was the only thing in the history of cover design to have a protaganist/antagonist facing the camera with heavy shading and an intimidating look.

Other examples being:

The cover from the Xbox 360 version of Age of Conan, one of the Underworld films did it, many comics from Marvel and DC have done this (along with a fair number of the AVP comics), Batman: Arkham Asylem, Terminator 1 and 2 did this (although in both they were more centred towards medium close up shots that entire body shots), The Thing, Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick and Evil Dead Armies of Darkness along with many more.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Anyone else thinks this guy looks awfuly short in that skirt?

And my first thought is the technological difficulties involved in creating those whips. I mean, It's based on a comic book so I can accept their exsistance but I can't wait to hear how they explain them.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I'd say coincidence, largely irrelevant since he has glowing whips of lights and it looks pretty sweet.

I was always a fan of iron man comics and rather liked the film (not best film ever but still a well made film in my opinion) and I think Mickey Rourke should make whiplash pretty damn cool.

docsax

Apr 27, 2009
(Yes, folks, you really are supposed to read what's between those little parenthesis.)

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
What an utterly stupid thing to fuss over. "Oh no! The both have scruffy hair! Go do re-shoots with his hair parted neatly."

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Does this mean that Iron Man 2 will have improved combat, but a overall darker and grittier atmosphere and out-of-place heavy metal soundtrack featuring Godsmack that ultimately isn't very well-received by the fanbase resulting in a third installment that gets back to the more fantastic, lighthearted tone of the first game? Er, movie?
This, most likely. I thought the first one was great, Downey Jr. is a damn funny guy, I hope they don't go and make him a brooding, whiny ****.