Is Iron Man Ripping Off the Prince of Persia?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I don't think it's intentional they made Whiplash look like the The Artist Formerly Known As Prince of Persia.

DoctorDisaster

Apr 14, 2009
Not exactly an unusual composition there -- and not really all that similar, to be honest. Neither the PoP cover nor the poster is going to win any awards for groundbreaking visual design. Barely even qualifies as a coincidence, to my eyes.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
MAY 7TH!?

Seems that most superhero movies are released on or near that date. X-Men: Origins, Spiderman 3, Iron Man 1.

Which is good.

mmkorn22

Jul 28, 2009
Here's the way I think of it - I didn't know the Iron Man poster existed until this article was posted. Maybe the creators, aware that fan-boys (and also some normal fans) would shit themselves upon noticing the resemblance, made it slightly similar on purpose to create a mini-buzz for the poster itself, which bares the release date for the moive.

But that's just my paranoid brain at work.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Wha? That's such a cliched pose for 'edgy hero/anti hero #155' that it's more than likely coincidence.
Hundreds of posters, covers and the like have that kind of pose/styling, it's not like PoP was the first.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
docsax said:
(Yes, folks, you really are supposed to read what's between those little parenthesis.)
Funk edited the news post.

Anyway. Coincidence and Funk stop trying to find conspiracy theories on random when they don't exist.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmmm, i just dont know.
As long as they make War Machine is as B A as i remember and dont ruin him, then im good.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
maybe thats the point, you've made that association between prince of persia and ironman 2, so now your thinking, what does that mean for the series, so now your thinking about seeing it to see if there are any more comparisons
and thus you made the movie a bit of cash and the poster has done its job

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Is Iron Man Ripping Off the Prince of Persia?

The recently-revealed teaser image for the upcoming Iron Man 2 feature film looks more than a little familiar.

There are many things to be surprised about in the newly-unveiled movie poster [http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/] for next May's Iron Man 2, starring Robert Downey, Jr.: Who is this scraggly, long-haired man, and what is his connection to businessman superhero Tony Stark? (Answer: It's Mickey Rourke as Whiplash, the film's antagonist, but pretend you don't know that - I certainly didn't).

But if you're a gamer, there's another question that comes to mind: Why the hell does this poster look virtually identical to the cover art for 2004's Prince of Persia: Warrior Within [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6f/Prince_of_Persia_-_Warrior_Within_Coverart.png]? The pose is almost identical, and while Whiplash's energy whips are a bit more high-tech than the eponymous Prince's choice of weaponry, he's holding them in the exact same way. The two even have similar tattoos and long, scruffy hair that covers the right side of their face.

It's hard to imagine that this is coincidental, seeing how the two images look so very alike. Does this mean that Iron Man 2 will have improved combat, but a overall darker and grittier atmosphere and out-of-place heavy metal soundtrack featuring Godsmack that ultimately isn't very well-received by the fanbase resulting in a third installment that gets back to the more fantastic, lighthearted tone of the first game? Er, movie?

Going out on a conspiracy-theorist limb here: The release date on the poster is May 7th, just nineteen days before Paramount rival Walt Disney Pictures releases the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced film adaptation of... wait for it, wait for it... Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, starring Jake Gyllenheimerschmidt. Iron Man was a huge hit in its own right, and so the sequel doesn't really need to piggyback on any other films, but it's hard to imagine Paramount executives not considering an Arabian-Nights Pirates of the Caribbean a threat in the least.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Anyway, if movies were going to start taking their cues from video games instead of the other way around, the fantastic Sands of Time trilogy is hardly a bad place to start.

What do you guys think: Intentional, or is this just a coincidence?

(Poster via IWatchStuff [http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/12/iron_man_2_poster_whiplash_has.php])

That's Whiplash from a comic book series starting from back in 1968, so while Mickey Rourke's posture might mimic PoP, the character predates the prince by at least 20 years, and that posture has been used everywhere

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
I love how everyone acts like the posture is the only resembling factor. What, the exact hair style, similar armour and shading don't apply?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
It's not just the pose that's similar, but the look of the hair and costume, as well. No-one is suggesting that the character himself was ripping off PoP, just the styling of the poster.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
What gets me is how badly thought out the imitation was. I mean sure maybe if you came up with some random film and ripped off a game's boxart, you could possibly get away with it; but a film tied in to an existing COMIC BOOK CHARACTER? Yeah not exactly a smart move, considering the large amount of overlap between fans of comics and fans of games.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I've watched the Iron Man anime series thing (and i acually quite like it) and the thing is, while im probably wrong since im no Iron Man expert but whiplash has always worn a mask, an awsome mask, but none the less, a mask.

Of course I havent read any of the comics and i don't think i will anytime soon.

Either way, im still seing Iron Man 2.