Is it possible to get through Dragon Age Origins without a healer?

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
Well I've read about people soloing the game on nightmare difficulty, so I guess it is possible. You sort of have to know what you're doing when you build the character though.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I got up to the last mission without a healer and halfway through realized what a terrible mistake I had made by not recruiting one. I used all the potions at my disposal and still died...

Cracktopus

Apr 6, 2010
It is, I did a run a few months ago with only using warriors. More specifically, 3 Two handed warriors (Me, Sten, Oghren) and a tank (Shale or Alistair).

Great fun :)

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
You should probably be a Dwarven noble so you can sell everything to Gorrim, which will result in you having a lot more money for potion supplies. Which you'll need.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I will just say that the restealth ability of rogues is like a wow vanish and pretty overpowered once you have that your rogue can solo most groups. Its pretty funny.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I did, on my first play through Because i am awsome! That and i was playing as a mage so i was the healer lol, so yeah doabpe if your are healing your party . But aside from that buy potions galore like in the old school finalfantasy games.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
Very possible. You will need:

A 'controller'. A mage with multiple debilitating moves such as sleep, paralyze etc.

A defensively built warrior. Maybe not a tank as such, but one who you can send in first knowing he won't die instantly.

Grenades. These are seriously powerful, make lots and use gratuitously.

Potions. You have no healer, get loads of these things!!

Lots and lots of DPS. Drawn out battles will be the death of you!

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I always wondered personally if it was possible to get through DA:O without gouging your eyes out in boredom myself...I know I sure wasn't able to do so.

That and the fact leveling up is completely pointless, taking out the entire point of playing an RPG, they honestly might as well just start you out at the max level and not have level ups at all. Terrible game.

Kizo18

May 2, 2011
It isn't all that hard you just need to have a herbalist so you can stock on potions.
On my first playthrough on normal I killed Wynne and didn't even miss her all that much.
I was a dual-wielding dwarf rogue and had Morrigan (without any healing spells) plus Alistair
as a tank, the last slot I rotated.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's very possible.
Won't be easy, and you'll be hooked hard on potions, but it's possible.
Wouldn't recommend it though.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Yes, you can play the whole game without a healer. Easily. I never bothered having a healer in my party in that game, because I found Wynne a bit boring as a character. So I'd usually go with me (a rogue), Sten, Shale, and usually the dog. If you make Sten a Champion he gets an AOE stun shout. So does the dog. So does Shale. So fights usually broke down like this: CHARGE SHOUT (everything's stunned) DAMAGE DAMAGE DAMAGE rinse repeat. On the rare occasions when my party members ever got hit, I'd just down a health poultice and move on.

It's even possible to do this in DA2.

Granted, I don't bother playing nightmare, but I know people on the Bioware forums who solo'd nightmare mode in Origins on a rogue and never used a single health poultice. So it is certainly doable.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Just get a shit-load of potions and focus on maxing damage so you can kill them before they kill you.

Or just build your character as an Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage and become immune to damage, that's what I did.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
I managed to do it on hard, through what I must say was some incredible crowd control, strategic decisions and a fuck load of potions.
I played a crowd control mage that used as many combinations as possible, with Alistair as a tank, Leliana as a buffer and Zevran as a assassin.
It took me 120 hours to complete the game, that shit was hard!
'twas my second playthrough though, so I sort of knew what I was doing, so I'll applaud you for trying and say good luck : D

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
On easy, yeah, I was able to get past the fucking Brood Mother without a healer on easy. On normal, maybe but it's gonna be about 5000 times harder. Beyond that, it's probably technically possible, but it's also technically possible to knock down a brick wall with your forehead.