Is Nintendo holding the industry back?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
NiPah said:
spartandude said:
Ok i am by no means the biggest fan of Nintendo, heck it took me til last year to get a Wii, but seriously what the fuck is it with all the Nintendo hate over the past couple of weeks?
No one here hates Nintendo, some will poke the fanbase with a stick (ala this thread) but here actual hate revolves around:
Half Life 2
Steam/Valve
Power in game systems
Consoles in general
Sexuality in gaming
Things that I don't enjoy

Nintendo falls into the category of "things that people say others hate", which is a complete lie people tell themselves to become the underdog.

Now the Nintendo fanbase, that's something quickly becoming hated, or a source of amusement as in Jeffer's case.
to me it just seems that way because over the past few weeks there seems to be alot of anti Nintendo, and i hadnt expereinced that here until now, so im just curious why its happening recently

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Apple may have taken the touchscreen ball and ran with it, but Nintendo were one of the companies revolved for making touchscreen gaming popular.
Technically if you wanna go further then the Microsoft XP Tablet sorta did it first. Nintendo went and applied it more to certain games, and Apple made touch screens and more importantly tablets a lot more popular today. Really the same could be said with motion controls when it came to the EyeToy, but motion controls didn't catch on until Nintendo made them popular with the Wiimote and nunchuck.
Mainly nowadays while Nintendo did start to make touch screen gaming more popular, it's more Apple's doing that made it as popular as it is today.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Problem with relying on X though is if Nintendo decides to actually localize the game itself.
I'm highly confident that they are going to localize it because they put the thing on Nintendo Direct for the whole world to see, saying that it's going to come out this year. Unless there are a bunch of malicious assholes in the EU and NA Nintendo department that refuse to localize anything for Nintendo of Japan, they aren't going to publicly announce a game on their Direct and not localize it to any countries outside of Japan and it's surrounding areas.

As for not branching out that's something one must do sometimes, you gotta take risks and get out of your comfort zone sometimes because there can be very interesting results from it. From your Valve example, I don't think Portal is considered a shooter really, or DoTa 2 for that matter so yes they've gone out of their comfort zone.
But then, they have Mario and RPG/Adventure game, Starfox Aerial Simulator shooter, metroid an actual RPG shooter, and SSB a fighter game.
So they have stepped out of the comfort zone. It's just not their forte. With the exception of Starfox, they have always made sure to make these games once for every console cycle. Hence why I'm not so worried about them not releasing anything.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
spartandude said:
NiPah said:
spartandude said:
Ok i am by no means the biggest fan of Nintendo, heck it took me til last year to get a Wii, but seriously what the fuck is it with all the Nintendo hate over the past couple of weeks?
No one here hates Nintendo, some will poke the fanbase with a stick (ala this thread) but here actual hate revolves around:
Half Life 2
Steam/Valve
Power in game systems
Consoles in general
Sexuality in gaming
Things that I don't enjoy

Nintendo falls into the category of "things that people say others hate", which is a complete lie people tell themselves to become the underdog.

Now the Nintendo fanbase, that's something quickly becoming hated, or a source of amusement as in Jeffer's case.
to me it just seems that way because over the past few weeks there seems to be alot of anti Nintendo, and i hadnt expereinced that here until now, so im just curious why its happening recently
It's very sporadic. When I got on here a couple of months ago it was all about the "Nintendo should go third party to suit my gaming needs!" and "Nintendo is a monopoly for only having Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Metroid on Nintendo consoles!" They caught a break when Microsoft screwed the pooch so to speak, but now since that's dying down, both Xbone and Nintendo are getting flack (Of course one should note that Microsoft still hasn't received the go third party route.) Escapist users are generally not friendly towards Nintendo. I would say Gamespot are even worse to a degree.
But hey, they were wrong about the 3DS, so they are probably going to be wrong about the Wii U. Let them vent.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
MetalDooley said:
VG_Addict said:
I say this because they seem to always be the last to follow trends
[/img]

Yup Nintendo are always last.The other console manufacturers are such trailblazers
You mean Nintendo didn't immediately release the following after realizing that playing some games with the WiiMote alone was infuriating as hell?

This is putting aside the fact that Kinect and PSMove aren't entire consoles based ground-up on motion controls, props to Nintendo for inventing such a godawful control scheme (that is mysteriously absent from the Wii U, yes?). Sony and MS released attachments i.e. afterthought cash-grabs aimed at the casual pastel-shirt-wearing happy family demographic (and nothing more).

All three companies should be ashamed of their attempts at motion controls, it's like a blind man guiding 2 other blind men.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
TheEvilCheese said:
Brian Tams said:
Link_to_Future said:
So the touchscreen and motion capabilities weren't pioneered by Nintendo? o_O
To be completely fair, Apple technically got the ball rolling on touch screen gaming with the iPhone and iPad.
Would now be a good time to point out that the DS was released, with touchscreen, two and a half years before the iPhone/iPod touch and a full five years before the iPad?

Because that's what happened.

--

OT: Bad way of asking an interesting question frankly, Nintendo aren't holding anything back for a few reasons,

1: Because no-one is setting their pace by Nintendo.

2: In the last decade, Nintendo have experimented with hardware more than the other big companies combined. This may not always be successful but you only have to look at the DS to see what happens when it pays off. Experimentation is always beneficial because you learn from it.

3. The primary audience of Nintendo products is not the same as the primary audience of Microsoft / Sony. This detachment means less competition and potentially more stagnation, but it also allows them to work at their own pace.

I agree that they are over using Mario to a silly degree at this point and need to generate some new interesting 1st party IP, but the issue then becomes people not giving it a chance. There's a certain level of insanity in not making the games the sales figures suggest people want.
Except the touch screen controls for the DS were total ass, and a lot of the games (the good games) towards the end of its life span maybe had one or two gimmicky features with the touchscreen. I said got the ball rolling; Nintendo put the ball out there, Apple pushed it down the hill that showed games controlled entirely through touch and rotating the iPad were functional. The WiiU controller is, after all, merely a tablet with joy sticks.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
HalloHerrNoob said:
They are so goddamm conservative. Theyll buy the stupidest washed out mario sequel, as long as it has the same sound effects and graphics as a game from the NES and, while crying for Nintendo to release new IP´s, never actually buy them.
Thats why Nintendo is making the same game over and over again, cause when they are trying to invent a new IP (see wonderful 101...at least published by them) nobody actually wants it.
To be quite fair here, most of the "make new IP's" complainers aren't Nintendo fans by a large majority. Those are the ones that are on the fence about leaving Nintendo and were making a bunch of ruckus. They are also people who criticize Nintendo and state lack of new IP's as one of them to even louder degrees. W101 flopped because Nintendo couldn't advertise it for shit.
Then again, Platinum games have a history of failing pretty bad and the genre of the game itself is becoming increasingly niche.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I would write up a proper response, but I am far too busy playing Animal Crossing on my 3DS.

*goes back to picking Peaches Butts*
Fixed.

spartandude said:
It's all just a bunch of people who're butthurt because they suck at Smash Bros.

Wow, this was like a...butt-themed post or something. Tee hee. Butt. That's funny to say.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Yuuki said:
MetalDooley said:
VG_Addict said:
[/img]

Yup Nintendo are always last.The other console manufacturers are such trailblazers
You mean Nintendo didn't immediately release the following after realizing that playing some games with the WiiMote alone was infuriating as hell?

This is putting aside the fact that Kinect and PSMove aren't entire consoles based ground-up on motion controls, props to Nintendo for inventing such a godawful control scheme (that is mysteriously absent from the Wii U, yes?). Sony and MS released attachments i.e. afterthought cash-grabs aimed at the casual pastel-shirt-wearing happy family demographic (and nothing more).

All three companies should be ashamed of their attempts at motion controls, it's like a blind man guiding 2 other blind men.
If all three should be ashamed of motion controls, then why are we praising the Oculus Rift?

Also that control example would hold some weight if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo prior to everything not the Wii made regular controllers anyway.
Put into the fact that they didn't make a big ass deal about it like Microsoft and Sony did with their move technology.

Mudokon

Jun 24, 2013
Nintendo is holding back the gaming industry ? i think nowadays gamers doesn't know history and not even the present situation of gaming industry, do some research and learn about Nintendo's current situation and history---> http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/this-is-how-nintendo-rescued-the-video-game-industry

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Yuuki said:
MetalDooley said:
VG_Addict said:
[/img]

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Nintendo trying motion controls. Most gamers (well, most truthful gamers) will admit that they were first intrigued when the Wii was announced. Most gamers I talk to at one point owned (or rented, I think that was still a thing at the dawn of the generation) a Wii. That is part of the reason why it sold so well for so long. Now, it turned out not to work well, but Nintendo should be applauded for trying something new, to try and see what gamers liked. Microsoft and Sony, though, all they saw was the $$$$ and not the complaints by gamers about the ineffectiveness of motion controls.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
For them to hold the rest of the industry back, the rest of the industry would have to be taking their cues from them and actually making games for their system. Since neither are really the case, they're really just off in a corner making Mario and Zelda games while everyone else pats them on the head telling them that's nice and gets back to doing what they do.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
After all, it's currently almost neck-and-neck with the PS2 for the title of most successful console ever. Though yeah, smartphones are currently dominating that landscape now.

Anyways, think I'm gonna bow out of this thread for a bit. Everyone else has pretty much said what I would have anyways.
PS2 is still about 4 million or so ahead of the DS last time I checked, but I don't think either Sony nor Nintendo will ever release something as popular as that ever again because both of those had extreme innovations in them. The DS had a rechargeable battery (something handhelds needed), stylus, Wi-fi, and great use of the touch screen. The PS2 had popularized backwards compatibility making it's library gigantic, had a built in DVD player which helped to get DVDs even more popular, Linux online support, and had the most amazing 3rd party support I think any console has ever had.
Really nothing has really even come close to that except the Wii which broke 100 million earlier this year and is close to the PS1's sales numbers if it hasn't already surpassed them.
Anyway, see ya.

Dragonbums said:
Unless there are a bunch of malicious assholes in the EU and NA Nintendo department that refuse to localize anything for Nintendo of Japan
Thing is that if you go by Nintendo's localization history that is what has seemed to happen. This was extremely the case on the GameCube, with many games never being localized outside of Japan at all. Really Nintendo's localization is quite bad actually, with the only companies being worse probably being SEGA and Bandi Namco, the latter being by far the worse offenders out there. Yes it's getting better, but they really aren't stepping up as much as they really should, and the types of regions they made with the 3DS along with region locking it have been terrible. I know at least 5 people who bought an American 3DS who live in Europe, simply because localization times are terrible. Personally I've always been against region locks because of how bad they've gotten.

spartandude said:
Really it's always been there, but for all consoles in general really. Whatever isn't selling well will get the most flack really. Before that it was the PS3 remember? It had all the memes of it having no games and took it years to shake that off. The issue people have is that at this point there are people honestly trying to bait the more overzealous fans and it is quite obvious, and then ones the fans have taken the bait they get frothy at the mouth defending everything and basically making it seem like whatever they are defending is the greatest of all things and that it can't do any wrong at all, which is a bad thing as nothing should be above criticism.

It's been that way for Microsoft discussions, Sony discussions, Nintendo discussions, and PC discussions. What it really is is that people get so caught up in their fandoms that they tend to lose rational thinking and while they think that they are making rational and thought provoking answers it will just come off like a chimp frantically chucking their poo at anything that they don't agree with.

KingH3nrry said:
I know right?! I came here from IGN partially because of that! Now I'm looking for another gaming news sites to join and replace this one, been having no luck though.
Really good luck then as your only bet would be an Nintendo only site where people will only praise Nintendo and criticism will get maimed by all. Being critical about something doesn't mean it's hated, but you should know that there will always be people who don't like what you like and will make up stuff or point out flaws that will get to you. Really you just need to learn to ignore it and move on because in all honesty getting flustered and angry about a company seems really stupid since the one thing that must always be remembered is that generally a business is out there to make money, and if they aren't then something is wrong.

Plus, at least you didn't come from G4 like I did. That place was the worst of the worst and the mods on G4 were so powermad that they would ban you if you simply disagreed with their opinion on a game.

Also, calling all Sony and Microsoft fanboys ignorant isn't really helping your case at all really. All fandoms can be ignorant about many things.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, what pretty much everyone else said. Even if we take it as a given that their approach isn't a valid one (which I'm not necessarily in agreement with) for them to be holding the industry back, the rest of the industry would have to be following suit, which really isn't the case. The Kinect and PS Move exist, admittedly, but Kinect has kind of spun off into its own thing focusing mainly on the voice command aspect that Nintendo doesn't even do, while the Move is just kind of dying.

Mudokon

Jun 24, 2013
Neronium said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Apple may have taken the touchscreen ball and ran with it, but Nintendo were one of the companies revolved for making touchscreen gaming popular.
Technically if you wanna go further then the Microsoft XP Tablet sorta did it first. Nintendo went and applied it more to certain games, and Apple made touch screens and more importantly tablets a lot more popular today. Really the same could be said with motion controls when it came to the EyeToy, but motion controls didn't catch on until Nintendo made them popular with the Wiimote and nunchuck.
Mainly nowadays while Nintendo did start to make touch screen gaming more popular, it's more Apple's doing that made it as popular as it is today.
so the eye toy is older that nintendo's power glove for nes.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Yuuki said:

Why should Nintendo be ashamed for attempting something that didn't work? Yeah motion controls with current technology don't work, but Nintendo were the first to accept that, removing it for the WiiU.

Sony and Microsoft yes because they simply jumped on the bandwagon even though the technology wasn't ready.