Is Nintendo holding the industry back?

irok

Jun 6, 2012
No, that'd be Microsoft, the Xbox 360 has been holding back graphics for awhile now while Nintendo chose to sidestep out of the hardware race by doing things like etrian odyssey and fire emblem , not graphically demanding but still dam good all the same

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
KingH3nrry said:
I didn't say it would die immediately. With the only innovator (in the console race) out of the game, the industry would slowly die of starvation of new things.
And as I said, with indie games and Kickstarter being as popular as they are now then we don't have to worry, especially since all 3 consoles are now catering to the indie development. Plus there are still innovations in the other companies as well so innovation never will really die either. Saying Nintendo is the only real innovator is completely wrong. Yes the are most obviously the biggest ones, but they aren't the only ones at all.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Oh look, VG_Addict has created another thread with an inflammatory topic and then failed to respond to any of the valid criticism laid out against him/her.

Seriously guys, check his posts, he is doing this a lot, I don't know why you all keep taking the bait.

Still, OT: Who are they holding back, except themselves, if you actually believe that? Unless Sony and Microsoft are just waiting to copy them again then who cares what Nintendo choose to do.

Giyguy

May 3, 2011
Ironically, the company who doesn't change their main games much is actually the last bastion of creativity that the industry has.

Nintendo is ahead of the times, it ain't holding anything back.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
irok said:
No, that'd be Microsoft, the Xbox 360 has been holding back graphics for awhile now while Nintendo chose to sidestep out of the hardware race by doing things like etrian odyssey and fire emblem , not graphically demanding but still dam good all the same
Etrian Odyssey is made by Atlus even thought it is most certainly exclusive to the DS line. Still, it shows that big budgets don't mean squat when fine craftsmanship is more important. Seriously, I found that EO IV gave a sense of adventure I hadn't felt for quite some time in the RPG genre. It really did feel like you were exploring strange new lands and making countless discoveries.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
spartandude said:
Ok i am by no means the biggest fan of Nintendo, heck it took me til last year to get a Wii, but seriously what the fuck is it with all the Nintendo hate over the past couple of weeks?
No one here hates Nintendo, some will poke the fanbase with a stick (ala this thread) but here actual hate revolves around:
Half Life 2
Steam/Valve
Power in game systems
Consoles in general
Sexuality in gaming
Things that I don't enjoy

Nintendo falls into the category of "things that people say others hate", which is a complete lie people tell themselves to become the underdog.

Now the Nintendo fanbase, that's something quickly becoming hated, or a source of amusement as in Jeffer's case.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Yes Damn Nintendo for holding back gaming by not making their console.

Tv,Tv,Tv,Tv,Sports,Tv,Tv,Callofduty,Tv,Tv,Paytoplayonline,Tv,Doggy,Sports,Doggy,Tv.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Hey, Sony had it's Motion Controls back before the Wii. It sucked, but it was still there earlier. Though Move was a blatant carbon copy.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
MetalDooley said:
Hey, Sony had it's Motion Controls back before the Wii. It sucked, but it was still there earlier. Though Move was a blatant carbon copy.
Funny thing is that the EyeToy was actually sorta fun for some games. I think the whole reason they brought it back was because they saw that motion controls were suddenly becoming popular. Although there are no arguments that Move is a blatant copy. XD

I guess one could say that they were ahead of the time and it didn't catch on. A similar thing can be said about 3D as Nintendo had the Virtual Boy in the past and the GameCube was supposed to be a 3D console (scrapped because of Virtual Boy and cost of the parts to make) and it didn't catch on, yet they tried it again with the 3DS. Of course it didn't work for them on that either, but honestly 3D I don't think is ever gonna actually be huge in this industry. XD

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I'd say they're far more willing to take risks and innovate (granted, not always in great ways, such as the mixed reception to the Wii controls, and more notably, the firey blazing disaster of the Virtual Boy) then the others, which is ultimately pushing new methods of gaming forward.

On the flip side, they are the great walled ivory tower of exclusivity, and have enough decent game design talents (not necessarily in story or characterization, but in pure gameplay terms) to continue to be successful at it. Which really does hold things back.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
No, they just dont have the same sales plan that sony and microsoft do. Sony and microsoft are on the edge with graphics and power because they do those large realistic type games while nintendo relie ont he core franchises (most if not all are more in the cartoony/new school colourful style. and tehy're a japanese producer primarily, since that is their base and between the two big dogs of the island (sony and nintendo) theyve each cornered their market and have set it well. when microsoft came out they started to cut into sony and largely didnt compete in the same style of nintendo other than just it being a videogame market, and Im sure nintendo has no urge to jump and try and fight with two companies well know for graphics and power when they cna survive on what they're doing now.

besides, nintendo doesnt sell out its main properties, and that helps to make it metric shit tons of money so they likely wont drop out just cause that means mario pokemon zelda metroid smash etc would all have to go to other consoles and less of the cut goes to nintendo.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
Yeah wow geez you're right! The rest of the industry is incapable of moving forward until Nintendo adopts something! Like how no one adopted online until after Nintendo adopted discs with the GCN!

I mean, it would've just broken the law of "everyone must catch up before we can do some other cool thing" if someone had released an online console in 1999 or something.

Why gee, if someone had released an online console in 1999, they would've been so ahead of the times that they surely would've gone on to win the console race forever.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
If I'm the only one that failed a test in the entire class, am I holding the rest of the class back?

No; I'm merely behind.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Link_to_Future said:
So the touchscreen and motion capabilities weren't pioneered by Nintendo? o_O
To be completely fair, Apple technically got the ball rolling on touch screen gaming with the iPhone and iPad.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Brian Tams said:
Link_to_Future said:
So the touchscreen and motion capabilities weren't pioneered by Nintendo? o_O
To be completely fair, Apple technically got the ball rolling on touch screen gaming with the iPhone and iPad.
Would now be a good time to point out that the DS was released, with touchscreen, two and a half years before the iPhone/iPod touch and a full five years before the iPad?

Because that's what happened.

--

OT: Bad way of asking an interesting question frankly, Nintendo aren't holding anything back for a few reasons,

1: Because no-one is setting their pace by Nintendo.

2: In the last decade, Nintendo have experimented with hardware more than the other big companies combined. This may not always be successful but you only have to look at the DS to see what happens when it pays off. Experimentation is always beneficial because you learn from it.

3. The primary audience of Nintendo products is not the same as the primary audience of Microsoft / Sony. This detachment means less competition and potentially more stagnation, but it also allows them to work at their own pace.

I agree that they are over using Mario to a silly degree at this point and need to generate some new interesting 1st party IP, but the issue then becomes people not giving it a chance. There's a certain level of insanity in not making the games the sales figures suggest people want.