Is the 9/11 Pokemon offensive?

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Kortney said:
To be honest, whilst I don't find it particularly offensive, I find it extremely hypocritical from the Japanese.

The Japanese ban just about every implication of nuclear bombs in their industry. Parts of Fallout 3 were banned - simply because it contained a scene with a atomic bomb going off. It had no reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki whatsoever.

So, for a nation this sensitive I find it surprisingly hypocritical that they include Ground Zero in their game. If a Western game included the destroyed remains of Hiroshima, it would undoubtedly be banned in Japan and be cried over.
Did you just seriously compare 3,000 almost instant deaths to 246,000 deaths including radiation and a lot more suffering and the desctruction of so many buildings? Wow.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
ikoian said:
As an American, not at all. It was 10 years ago, heck, our own country's Loony Toons made fun of WW2 in some of their skits.
Donald Duck as a nazi is a fantastic episode. I love it.

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.
Honestly, the reference completely passed my mind until you brought up just now. I still don't really care, however. Seriously, I can understand the emotions around 9/11, but you American's seem to treat it as though Al Qaeda nuked half your country away when the Twin Towers fell, and seem to want everyone else to care just as excessively about it when we have no reason or care to.
Stop bringing it the fuck up. Please.
Yeah this, but also Bulbapedia states its height as 9 feet 10 inches. And that's a totally different number. ^_^
I'm not offended in the least. I'm just pissy that I can't get him yet- still transferring pokemon to Heartgold, don't have Black or White nor can I afford it now.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
I'm not horribly offended but that's definitely something they should of double-checked before they released.

I somehow doubt Pokemon did this because they are horrible people and wanted to piss off an entire country.

ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.
Honestly, the reference completely passed my mind until you brought up just now. I still don't really care, however. Seriously, I can understand the emotions around 9/11, but you American's seem to treat it as though Al Qaeda nuked half your country away when the Twin Towers fell, and seem to want everyone else to care just as excessively about it when we have no reason or care to.
1.) "You American's"
Besides being grammatically incorrect, (not supposed to be a ' inbetween the stereotype and the S) Who exactly is "You Americans" referring to? This honestly pisses me off when I'm grouped together like we're all one big huggy family that share the same opinion. We're not all racists with shotguns from Texas.

Let's move on to the next quote

HerbertTheHamster said:
People who still whine about 9/11 need to shut up. Nobody gives a crap.
"Nobody gives a crap"

Okay this seriously pissed me off. Nobody gives a crap? I understand it was ten years ago but that's a pretty fucking big statement to make for someone who wasn't affected by it in any way!

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
jonyboy13 said:
Kortney said:
To be honest, whilst I don't find it particularly offensive, I find it extremely hypocritical from the Japanese.

The Japanese ban just about every implication of nuclear bombs in their industry. Parts of Fallout 3 were banned - simply because it contained a scene with a atomic bomb going off. It had no reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki whatsoever.

So, for a nation this sensitive I find it surprisingly hypocritical that they include Ground Zero in their game. If a Western game included the destroyed remains of Hiroshima, it would undoubtedly be banned in Japan and be cried over.
Did you just seriously compare 3,000 almost instant deaths to 246,000 deaths including radiation and a lot more suffering and the desctruction of so many buildings? Wow.
Sure did.

The concept is exactly the same. Japan is an incredibly culturally sensitive nation - even disregarding the atomic bombs. This is hypocritical either way.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

As an American, I find everything you said... to be completely accurate.

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
I don't much care that everyone is under the impression that Americans are upset with this. We aren't. Cracked was just having a slow day and needed some filler.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
It's Japan, since when have they ever cared about being racially/sexually/emotionally/historically sensitive to anything. To prove a point, name five products of pop culture originating in Japan that depicts minorities of either sexuality, ethnicity, or gender in a tasteful non-offensive manner.

In seriousness: Maybe Gamefreak thought of this as a sort of tribute to 9/11 or sort of a remembrance. That even when we play our games, we remember the greatest tragedy in American history.

DirtyBurgers

Mar 23, 2011
I guess this is more important than hundreds of other video games with justified middle eastern massacres. It seems funny to me that people don't see whats right in front of them, yes 9/11 was a tragedy but it was almost 10 years ago. The present and future are a lot more important than dwelling on the past.

CommonSense1013

Mar 24, 2011
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

Everyone should also stop bringing up the Holocaust. It was like what, forty years ago, stupid Jews keep talking about it like it was... well the holocaust.

(sarcasm)

For all those people who don't think 9/11 was a big deal, I certainly know that you did not lose a family member or friend in a war crime.
YES, America commits war crimes every day... does this mean that innocent civilians who have nothing to do with it should be attacked? Those people who do think that... not much difference in mindset from you and school shooters. Just saying.

But of course, this is the Escapist, where it is cool to say you don't care about what other people care about; all about that e-peen

Get lives, gentlemen.

Did you miss all the comments here?
Much worse stuff happened in our countries. That's exactly what we were saying, get out of your American bubble.
And what happened in those countries are also a tragedy. You do realize just because a person says that 9/11 was a tragedy... doesn't mean that they don't think other terrorist attacks weren't right? Lol ignorance is bliss I suppose,

Lupin the Vapour

Nov 8, 2009
Is it not at all possible that it's supposed to be (if related at all) a tribute, if you will? Like their way of recognizing it (a bit late) and giving condolences? (Also a bit late) Does the very fact that something might, conceivably REFERENCE 9/11 mean that they're actually making fun of it?

Besides all that, we really need to move forward. Forget? No. Ignore? No. Stop harping on it? Yes. But then, few people seem to hang on to their national tragedies more than us Americans.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Kortney said:
Thats not japan, thats microsoft.
They even banned the game from my country because of some religion bullshit.
People didn't even cared.

Cai1911

Feb 19, 2011
ShadowsofHope said:
10 fucking years ago.

I'm an American... Who doen't find this offensive! I agree with him also! *powering up flame-shield*

Granted I'm not saying it wasn't a horrible thing... But its in the past... We (americans) can't forget hat day.... But we sure as hell have forgotten the firemen and police officers who died that day trying to save someone thy had never seen before! Nobody ever mentions them!

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
Yopaz said:
SirBryghtside said:
*Is from England*

It's not so much the amount of people who died - it's the fact that it was intentional.

I don't think any human-created events but large-scale wars have caused that much death, and certainly not that quickly.

And part of the reason I'm so opposed to it is because I once said something along mowin's lines, and got my first ever mod wrath because of it. And during that 3-day suspension, I realised that a lot of friends on this site were still affected by it.

I stand by my statement.
So you don't think Hiroshima's 166000 victims and Nagasaki's 60000 victims come close to have done as much as the 3000 who died in the terrorist attacks on September 11. 2001?
Yes, you have friends affected by it, thus you have some personal ties to it. Concentration camps were worse than this because that was done with a system. This was planned, but the victims were random.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki was part of a war, but far more than 3000 were killed in a flash. It should also be mentioned that the targets were chosen partially because there wouldn't be much military action, easily said, the U.S. government chose a place where most would be civilians.
I have never said that what happened with World TRade Center wasn't a tragedy, I'm just saying that it's not that big in the context. There has been, and there are so many tragedies in the past and tragedies going on as we speak. Libya, Iraq, Guantanamo, Japan, Israel.

Explain, what makes the incident with World Trade Center the biggest tragedy in history?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Once again, not trying to diminish what happened to all those people on 9/11.
Tragedy is all about "My dick is bigger than your dick" to the Euros, if you haven't noticed.
Well that and shouting down nonexistent groups of people (or at least ones not commenting here, on the original article, or any known place) to malign and stifle discussion of anything they don't approve of.
Must not be big fans of speech and debate over there. *waves flag*

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Vibhor said:
Kortney said:
Thats not japan, thats microsoft.
They even banned the game from my country because of some religion bullshit.
People didn't even cared.
Well actually, that specific example it was Bethesda.

However they don't make these decisions up for the sake of it. They have contact with the Japanese before hand - they aren't just basing it off a whim.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Is that a.... a... TURBAN ON THAT POKEMON!!!

to arms fellow patriots >_>
/thread

OT: Yeah, I'm an American. No, I'm not offended. Waaaay too coincidental for me to take seriously.

And even if it was, let them make their references. The wonders of wearing the armor of apathy. :p