Is 'The C Word' Sexist?

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
No, it is not sexist. It is just a word and since sexism sort of requires some bias or discrimination towards one gender, it is the attitude and tone of the person, not the word that seems more the determining factor, especially taking into account that it can be and often is used on both genders, it is the flip of calling someone a dick or cock and it can be used casually without being offensive or sexist in nature. If it was sexist, none of those would apply.

From what I read, the people calling it sexist do so based on the reaction it gets from others. I am sorry, but being offended is not the same as sexism, regardless if the word itself has relation to female organ. Trying to use the "women have been subjugated" bullshit ignores the reality of the present, the evolution of language and presents a (rather sexist) idea that one gender has to be treated differently then the other because of shit that happened in the past. And no, before anyone jumps at me for it, I am not saying there isn't equality issues in past of present, merely the stupidity of using that to justify creating different equalities. Same reason why I think use of the "N" word being alright by some races but not all is inherently racist.

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
It's sexist. The implication is that female sex organs are bad and, by extension, anything associated with them. It's not neutral because dick isn't sexist, too; that's backwards. Dick and cock are just as sexist, although it could easily be argued that they're not as damaging since men still command a greater quantity of power in most societies.

It's impossible to have insults without demeaning someone or something. If you call someone an asshole or a fatass or a crooked tit you're promoting negative body image issues. If you call someone a bastard you're hostile to single-parents. If you call someone an assfucker or fuckface or slut or whore you've got backwards ideas about human sexuality. And really, are cocksuckers really so bad? They certainly make me feel good. Retards and lunatics really can't help the way they are, either, right? Not even psychopaths, even though they're not technically crazy. They didn't consciously choose a life fraught with the perils of blunted affect so maybe we should be a little more sympathetic to their unfortunate condition as well.

During a previous conversation about the political correctness of 'retard,' someone kept mentioning alternative insults, like "bell end." I chuckled a little when I read them. I think you have to break taboos in order to adequately insult someone. They're expressions of your irritation, or anger, and going out of your way to protect the delicate sensibilities of bystanders betrays a certain restraint or calmness that contradict what you're supposed to be feeling. Likewise, unless you're what I would consider unusually sensitive to people insulting you(and then you would be more gullible than they would be effective), you're going to miss the non-verbal queues associated with totally losing your shit. Speaking without inhibitions could indicate genuinely threatening or provocative behaviour; that's serious business. Calling someone a bell end conveys, at best, a cool air if disapproval, something else that's sure to send one into hysteric laughter.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
I live in Australia, so I hear it a lot. That being the case, I'd never really thought about it, or cared much, though I don't say it often myself. I'd say, like other people, that no, it isn't sexist, but can of course be offensive. Context.

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
here in Zealand (and more so in Australia) its probably used more as a greeting/minor joking around insult, its become so common here people say it almost automatically.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
I think it's just the new curse word now that "fuck" has lost its impact. There will probably be a new one in a few years that's worse.

OutrunCam

Oct 16, 2012
Froggy Slayer said:
I'm not going to mill around. This thread is about the word ****.

I've seen a lot of people get incredibly offended by the word **** being used as an insult. Obviously, it's a very strong word, but the people who dislike it that much usually say that it is sexist. Being British, I believe these people to be wrong, but I would like some bloody Yanks to explain to me how sexist it really is over there, for I have heard conflicting reports.

Any people of differing nationalities may also give perspective on how **** is used in their nation.
Over here in new zealand we call eachother cunts... the only people that take offese are women yet we can still call eachother dicks and no one gets offended.. Would they rather we call each other vaginas?

Jul 5, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
ToastedCorpser4Lunch said:
OhJohnNo said:
Not in Britain.

I once participated in a 67-post Facebook discussion about how much of a **** Jeremy Kyle is. The word came up in basically every post.

Yeah, not exactly a big deal.
Jeez! You said that as if butter would melt. You should put something on the end of it mate!
Uh... were you trying to tell me that was a sick burn?
No idea. My brothers watch his show and he says that a lot. That said, he is a massive ****.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think it is sexist, just like calling someone a dick isn't classed as sexist. I don't even find it that offensive as it means the same as twat or pussy, it is also my go to for when I'm angry as it has that nice bluntness to it that makes you feel better.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
What matters is the message, not the words used in it.
It could be offensive if the target's immature, sure, but hey, it's fun to offend anyone that gets easily offended.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Mr F. said:
However, despite my lack of being a linguistics professor, I am still infuriated when people try and make the baseless claim that words lack any meaning. Its a very, very stupid argument. If it held true, communication would be impossible. And there are those within this very thread who are attempting to make that claim (You are not one of them.)
Wait... what?

I don't think people are claiming that words have zero meaning, on the contrary, I think that most people are arguing that they have multiple meanings... many of which don't get considered when it comes time to compile a dictionary because they're too regional, or potentially controversial. "Controversial" not being a synonym for "wrong".

"Appropriate language" is informed by cultures, which develop their own brand of humour which is itself subjective and forever evolving. It's all in flux. It's simultaneously meaningful and not. So I can't really begrudge anyone for not showing deference to the sanitised, formal iteration of a language that is handed to them. Language is ours, it doesn't belong to dictionary publishers, and different perspectives are valid. Especially considering that the people who tend to get offended, tend to get vocal, and they end up being the people that need to be appeased. It doesn't make them right, it just makes them awkward.
This comes back to my context content argument. I am not saying that everyone who uses the term is sexist, nor that everyone using the term is intending to be sexist. But, much like using the term "Retard" instead of "Idiot" is ablest, regardless of intent, using the term "****" to mean, well, ANYTHING negative is sexist. ****** is homophobic, regardless of intent (Unless it is being used in literature that predates the use as a negative way of referring to a homosexual).

You see the logic here? Its the associations, the meaning of the word. Yes, it can currently be used to mean something else, but that does not change why it is sexist. That is actually why it is sexist. The same logic follows for using "Gay" to mean "Bad" (Used by a hell of a lot of people, including quite a few gay guys that I know.), its homophobic. The fact that they are using it does not change it away from being homophobic.

I am not saying stop using the word, I am not trying to sanitize the word, or your use of language. I am simply trying to explain why it is an insult and why the fact that it is an insult shows that it is sexist. If it is being used as an insult, it is sexist. If gay is being used as an insult, it is homophobic.

Language IS ours. But it is also the creation of hundreds of years of history. One day if the word lacks any form of baggage, perhaps it will no longer be sexist. But until that day, until the day (In this case) that women and men are truly equal and that feminine traits are not seen to be negative, it is a sexist term.

Because I tire of this endless discussion, I would just like to close this by saying "Go read some Judith Butler."

I find it annoying how some people seem to think this sorta stuff is massively open to discussion by everyone. I do not claim to understand Physics. Its a closed book to me. In comparison to my friend, who is doing a masters in the subject, I know nothing. I will not try and claim that he is wrong since I do not have a fucking clue. I have not read the literature. Yet people are so willing to try and claim a fixed understanding of linguistics and identity without having done the reading. Read some Butler, Lawler, Goffman, Garner, although Garner did lots of work on Race, his stuff on Identity as an 'othering' experience is quite interesting and applies somewhat to the topic of this discussion. (This is not directed specifically at you and I do not mean to be insulting).

Meh. I should get out of this thread. I am starting to sound elitist. I guess my standpoint is 'Either accept that it is a sexist term and just live with it or go and do the reading around the subject and then try and have a discussion on the matter.'

If you are interested I could probably send you a few of the readings. *reads the copyright notice at the start of the Goffman* Actually, I can't. Its being used under licence for my course and although I can retain electronic copies, they must be 'strictly for personal use' and 'no further copying, storage or distribution (including by email) is permitted.'

Not claiming to be an expert (Yet. One can dream) just saying that I am probably ever so slightly more well read on the subject.

FalloutJack said:
*Two pages later*

Whelp, Mr. F didn't get a warning for being a deliberate irritant towards me. You know, trying to make a statement about mere words when I don't even get ONE TENTH as annoyed at words over action (such as the internet VS real life) is silly. No, **** is just a word. Much like F is just a letter. Though, it WAS a devious plot. If his words were really that much impact when he insulted me, the mods would've decked him for it. And if they didn't - which is what happened - then he's proven wrong. I love being me.
The reason I did not get a warning is because I did not insult you. I stated that your ARGUMENT was stupid, not that you were stupid. Smart people make stupid arguments all the time. Look at our politicians. That is why I did not get a warning, not because you are right, not because the mods think I was wrong or anything. Because I did not, and will not, insult you for being wrong.

Interesting note, apparently a lot of what gets flagged up for mods is just stuff that people disagree with.

At no point am I stating that words are worse then actions, or that actions matter less then words. But words are actions, your choice of language reflects who you are. I am not getting, nor is anyone else who is making the same or similar arguments to mine, more annoyed at words then actions. I am, again, simply trying to explain to people why the term is sexist. Because it is sexist, inarguably so.

I would have got moderated if I violated the CoC. Which I did not.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I think it is the same as calling someone a d**khead.
Or calling someone gay.

It just generally points to the concept of the term, and is not an attack on that gender or sexuality

Apr 24, 2008
Mr F. said:
Of course you wouldn't debate him. Physics is hard-form, language is far more nebulous. Gravity is what it is because it is what it is, and "****" is only definitivly offensive if we uniformly decide it is, which we clearly don't. Our choice of words might say something about us, but the flip of that is obviously that our interpretation does the same thing. Judgement feels a little arbitrary.

The problem I have with a literalist view on language and definitions is that I think it assumes that we're all stupid. I think that modern humour is sophisticated in ways that makes a mockery of literalism.

For the sake of clarification, is "prick" a sexist term? Am I being sexist if I call someone a "ball-bag"?

jackalblue3141

Jun 29, 2011
You know there's some areas where strict equality doesn't make sense (men deserve gynecological services if women get them!) and some where strict equality is only logical. This is one of the latter. My view is, "****" is no different then the word "dick", it's profanity referring to genitalia. If it's ok to say the word dick in a situation, then it's ok to say ****. I'm an Equal Opportunity Offender and I'm proud of it!

Kakistos153

Aug 9, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
Not in Britain.

I once participated in a 67-post Facebook discussion about how much of a **** Jeremy Kyle is. The word came up in basically every post.

Yeah, not exactly a big deal.
Jeremy Kyle IS a fucking massive **** (he's pretty much always right though).

On topic though. There are some things about political correctness in america that just don't make sense at all to me so i've just put them down to trying to have a better argument than "I don't like it".

In a similar vein to "I don't like gay marriage because it offends my religion" when in reality they just don't like gay marriage because of gay sex and EWW.
"I don't like the C word because its sexist" sounds a lot more meritorious than just saying that its a dirty word that should be hidden.

As someone pointed out earlier its like saying that calling someone a dick or a cock or any of the other 50 different words for penis are sexist against men. I acknowledge that its kind of a false equivalence though because the issue is WHY the word has that weight of negativity in society and calling someone a dick just doesn't. I just wish Germaine Greer had succeeded in her quest to normalise the word **** as a general euphemism for vagina that could be used as freely as dick.

Either way though, the solution isn't saying it less, its saying it more, to the point where no one cares anymore. I will enjoy how fun the word is until that day comes.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I'm Canadian, I call people cunts all the time, last time I called my buddy a **** in a joking manner, this chick got up in my face about it, I just calmly asked her if she'd ever called anyone a dick, she was all like "OF COURSE I DO< ALL THE TIME, WHAT'S YOUR POINT!?" and I just said "That's my point, think about it for a minute, then unbunch your panties." she stormed off all angry, personally I don't care what anyone thinks, I rarely see anyone get angry, and it's part of my everyday vocabulary, I'm always calling my male friends/coworkers lazy cunts, stupid cunts, silly cunts, or any other variety of **** that I believe fits the situation, and it's mainly just me being a silly **** myself, jokin' around if you will.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Froggy Slayer said:
I've seen a lot of people get incredibly offended by the word **** being used as an insult. Obviously, it's a very strong word, but the people who dislike it that much usually say that it is sexist. Being British, I believe these people to be wrong, but I would like some bloody Yanks to explain to me how sexist it really is over there, for I have heard conflicting reports.
Born and bred in the US of A.

In my humble opinion, "****" is not any more sexist than "dick" is, but (1) in America it is a far stronger curse word and (2) it very much can be used in a sexist manner (and often is).

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
You're all cunts. I don't mean that...

I've seen **** used as a sexist word but I agree with the majority of posters here; it's as sexist as cock or dick or knob or bell end. Of course, like any word, it can be used in several ways. I've heard it used as a derogatory term for a woman before.

It's just a word, really...

But I find it odd that so many people think those in the UK use it casually. It's on the top of the list of swear words you're not allowed to say on TV, higher than fuck and shit. Swear words in general are used with less fear here, though so maybe that's why people think it's a casual thing. But we're not all "Hey, ****, what's up? Nothing, taking my little **** to the cunting shop to **** **** the ****. Been nice cunting with ya."

Feb 24, 2011
Mr F. said:
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
no not at all, i've always found the notion of that retarded...
if i say dick or dickhead am i a sexist?
thought so
You are aware that you just used an ablest term to state that you find the idea that a sexist term is sexist to be stupid? The irony is amazing. I assume retard is also totally not offensive?
but **** is not sexist, tell me, how is it sexist? **** is used to insult men AND women, i guess it would be sexist if it were used only on men... but it's not.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Froggy Slayer said:
I'm not going to mill around. This thread is about the word ****.

Any people of differing nationalities may also give perspective on how **** is used in their nation.
I can say that here in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus etc. this word is extremely offensive... Because no one wants to be someone's genitalia. There is no sexist colouring in it. "Dick" is considered as offensive for the same reason.