Is 'The C Word' Sexist?

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
**** is less insulting in english than in american slang, i think. so i find it less insulting than an american woukld find it, since i'm more influenced by english language.

either way. the insulting element of any word is decided more by the nature of the interaction between the speaker and the spoken to. i might call my friend an asshole for stealing my pen, for example, and mean something entirely different than when a call somone who cuts me off on the road an asshole.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
Not in Britain.

I once participated in a 67-post Facebook discussion about how much of a **** Jeremy Kyle is. The word came up in basically every post.

Yeah, not exactly a big deal.
I'd never heard of this guy before and looked him up. What a ****.

OP Depends where you are.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Bear In Heaven said:
Not in Australia. The country where everyone is a ****. We have them all: dumb cunts, stupid cunts, ugly cunts, smart cunts, foreign cunts, fucked cunts, sick cunts, mad cunts, cool cunts, clever cunts, hot cunts, and the rest.

So in the gist of things, we love the word '****' and maybe just maybe it's slowly replacing the word 'mate'. I hope not because I love calling people 'mate'.
I love the word mate but I don't think it will be going anywhere, at least where I live in Australia.

**** is usually used when describing strangers but mate is people you know but it is kinda ridiculous how many different ways we can use the word ****.

About the sexism though, not in this day and age even with its history of supposed use to shame women in history, which I can understand but honestly while our words are a product of history they don't have to stay that way because words are always changing.

I just like words being words with a meaning but you craft the context out of the specific words you use in a sentence which can give many different effects.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
Bear In Heaven said:
Not in Australia. The country where everyone is a ****. We have them all: dumb cunts, stupid cunts, ugly cunts, smart cunts, foreign cunts, fucked cunts, sick cunts, mad cunts, cool cunts, clever cunts, hot cunts, and the rest.

So in the gist of things, we love the word '****' and maybe just maybe it's slowly replacing the word 'mate'. I hope not because I love calling people 'mate'.
I love the word mate but I don't think it will be going anywhere, at least where I live in Australia.

**** is usually used when describing strangers but mate is people you know but it is kinda ridiculous how many different ways we can use the word ****.

About the sexism though, not in this day and age even with its history of supposed use to shame women in history, which I can understand but honestly while our words are a product of history they don't have to stay that way because words are always changing.

I just like words being words with a meaning but you craft the context out of the specific words you use in a sentence which can give many different effects.
Are you sure mate? Because it's the opposite where I'm living (South Queensland). Your mates are 'cunts' and everyone else is a 'mate'.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Bear In Heaven said:
Dark Knifer said:
Bear In Heaven said:

Are you sure mate? Because it's the opposite where I'm living (South Queensland). Your mates are 'cunts' and everyone else is a 'mate'.
Should have made that clear, I live In NSW east cost and here its like what I said. I don't think the word will go away but I don't doubt what you say of course and different parts of the country have different dialects and vocabulary. Sorry for any confusion.

I don't want mate going away either though :/

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
I've called someone a walking giant ballsack before. Does that mean I'm sexist? Person didn't seem too offended by it. Shocked yes. Offended not so much.

I could repeat a few things my wife has called me over the years. But they might be alittle to strong for a public forum. =D

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
Bear In Heaven said:
Dark Knifer said:
Bear In Heaven said:

Should have made that clear, I live In NSW east cost and here its like what I said. I don't think the word will go away but I don't doubt what you say of course and different parts of the country have different dialects and vocabulary. Sorry for any confusion.

I know this is an off topic trend we've started but I'd like to show you this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AustralianAccent

Don't let TV Tropes ruin your life...

Captcha: Great Unwashed
yes, that is applicable to me.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
If it is sexist, it must also be sexist when I call someone a dick or cock. I use the word **** occasionally. It's just a word. It doesn't have the same type of meaning behind it like, say, ******. It's just a nice, harsh word to use when someone has pissed you off.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Bear In Heaven said:
Dark Knifer said:
Bear In Heaven said:
Dark Knifer said:
Bear In Heaven said:

I know this is an off topic trend we've started but I'd like to show you this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AustralianAccent

Don't let TV Tropes ruin your life...

Captcha: Great Unwashed
yes, that is applicable to me.
Those are so true, especially the ones about the pronunciation of cities XD

Well enough being off-topic, if you wish to continue feel free to pm me :) but I'll be off to bed soon so goodnight mate.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Every woman I have ever met insists the c--- is terrible word that should never said by anyone to anyone. I am not sure why but I won't argue it.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I call men Cunts and women Dicks.

So no, I don't feel its sexist.

Then again I'm about the whitest, malest, least religious, straightest person you could imagine, so naturally I don't get offended.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
A word can have no meaning unless said meaning is given to it. **** is both sexist and non sexist based on who says and hears it. I have heard people claim (Sadly, they were genuine) that "Erecting a building" is sexist due to men getting erections and this is stating only men can build(Somehow ignoring the Clitoris can also get an erection)

In short. It's an individual thing.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Is ****** racist if you call a white guy that?

Dick and **** aren't the same level of insulting, a more equal feminine slur would be pussy.

Nopenahnuhuh

Nov 17, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
I'm not going to mill around. This thread is about the word ****.

I've seen a lot of people get incredibly offended by the word **** being used as an insult. Obviously, it's a very strong word, but the people who dislike it that much usually say that it is sexist. Being British, I believe these people to be wrong, but I would like some bloody Yanks to explain to me how sexist it really is over there, for I have heard conflicting reports.

Any people of differing nationalities may also give perspective on how **** is used in their nation.
Let me answer this with a question: Do you consider calling somebody a dick to be sexist?

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I guess technically it's sexist in America because it's mostly used against women. I wouldn't call it misogynistic though.

greatcheezer2021

Oct 18, 2011
language is all about interpretation. depends on how you feel about being called a "****" due to your choice of actions that resulted in somebody labeling you as therefore.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
If somebody's a ****, which means vagina, calling someone a dick, which means penis, would have to be sexist, too. We can't have double-standards.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
The word **** has long been established as a gender neutral pejorative in these parts and apparently it's the same case in Australia. The impression seems to be that word carries much more weighty connotations in the States and while I think a few American posters have been a tad misled about how common the usage of it is here, I will say that I think over time it's basically been watered down to the point where it's really just a stronger variant of calling someone an asshole/prick/*****. Context is everything of course, but in most cases I wouldn't think twice about someone referring to a guy they find objectionable as a ****, so I don't see why an exception should be made for women. To me it should be more about why they're using the word, not the word itself.