Is there a dev company whose games you will play, no questions asked?

Paul

Aug 21, 2009
I would probably say Rockstar, to be honest. Everything they have released I have enjoyed, except for Manhunt, since I'm not really a big fan of games involving stealth. Most of the franchises Rockstar publish games for I enjoy. I mean, I owned Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, but that didn't stop me also buying DUB Edition Remix since it featured the city of Tokyo, a few new cars, and a few new tracks in the soundtrack. Maybe I'm strange for that, but I wanted more from the Midnight Club experience.

The only game I've played on the current generation of consoles from them that I wasn't as fond of was Red Dead Redemption, and that's only because I prefer the Grand Theft Auto series. I still consider RDR to be a fantastic game but having played Grand Theft Auto, I simply preferred the series I was more familiar with. I admit Redemption was fun, and the story was good but it didn't feel like there was a reason to come back to it.

I'd still buy another Red Dead game if Rockstar decided to release one, though.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Blizzard. they have yet to release a game for the PC that I haven't enjoyed greatly, though Cataclysm was a bit of a downer (still had loads of fun with it, just not as much as previous WoW expansons) and counts as 1 strike against them, but not enough that I wouldn't instantly buy anything they release.

At least 1 more is needed to make my circumspect, and probably 2 more to make me shave my head and give up gaming forever (and probably go live in seclusion somewhere).

I guess Valve could make the list, it's not exactly no questions asked, but I fully trust them to deliver a great, fun experience, whatever the game.

Bioware would be a strong contender for this, but frankly it's their EA overlords that break the deal. I really don't like The Old Republic, and while I liked DA2, it would have been MUCH better if it wasn't rushed like hell, and I believe that's EA's work.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Absolutely not.

I may look into games because the dev is someone whose work I have liked in the past. And people like Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog definitely have gotten much of my attention (although I hate Crash Bandicoot, not because the game is bad but I find the characters annoying).

I like to wait and see....

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
No not really, I love Bioware and Bungie but I'm not going to blindly worship whatever they make, that's what separates people from fanboys.

Iori Branford

Jan 4, 2008
CAVE.

Putting aside brevity (each as long as an NES game), technical simplicity (95% sprite graphics), steep learning curve, high barrier to entry (frequent region-locking), 360 and iOS exclusivity, and bad luck releasing console versions outside of Japan, for pure gameplay these guys are second to none.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Valve and Blizzard. Bioware used to be on the list too, but...meh. DoubleFine'd be a good candidte if they'd ever start releasing their games on PC again.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Anything with "TOTAL WAR" on it. Dont know the name of the devs, though. No game box in sight, too lazy to google, dont wanna get up. SO yeah.

Stravant

May 14, 2011
Digital Illusions CE (Or DICE if you prefer)

Since they make almost exclusively Battlefield games, and I love Battlefield, you can see why.

But Mirror's Edge and Midtown Madness 3 were great too.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
valve
bethesda (studio, not publisher)
blizzard (for everything except WOW, it's great but it's way too time consuming)

Vorpal Chill

Mar 31, 2010
Personally, I would say no. However, there are names that I look for when purchasing games.
Bethesda Game Studios
Epic Games

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I'll buy anything from Valve and Bioware. DA2 was pretty underwhelming as compared to DA:O, but still a good game. That debacle shook my faith in Bioware but not enough to keep me away from whatever's next. Valve, on the other hand, hasn't done wrong by me. Ever. The whole HL3 thing is a bother, but at least it isn't being rushed.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Naughty Dog I suppose, I won't buy all their games, But I will certainly play if I have the chance, their series have tended to be sorta samey but damn entertaining and fun to play. I am really looking forward to The Last of Us though... So far they are the only developers who've never made a game I wouldn't love, but like I said, I wouldn't really wanna buy all the games, because the while each series has been pretty different the games are usually too similar to the other games in the series to really warrant a purchase.

There are very few other developers who I wouldn't ask what kind of game it is before someone offers me a chance to play...

EDIT: I forgot
Durgiun said:
Rockstar games.
This also, I really don't care what kind of game they make, I will want to play it, but maybe not buy... LA noire is a good example, I really do want to try play it (I've seen it be played) but I doubt I would really enjoy it enough to buy it.