Is there a dev company whose games you will play, no questions asked?

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I'll honestly play pretty much anything Rockstar Games puts out.

But as always, I'll wait for a review before buying anything.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Kairosoft! Mobile game developers. "Game Dev Story, mega mall story, cruise ship story" and many others. All are fantastic little gems.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
I'm always one to check out previews/reviews first before buying. But if I see Blizzard/Valve/Bioware anywhere over a game it will always get my attention.

Jubeigah

Aug 7, 2011
If there's a single company that fits this for me, it's Sucker Punch. Even despite Capcom's recent (or maybe just more transparent) douchery, they come pretty close. I end up buying their games used if I can manage it though.

Some companies I won't buy from no matter what include Activision and EA - the latter with the sole exception in the last few years being Henry Hatsworth. And then there's the ones that leave me with a reliably sour aftertaste. Infogrames, etc.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Rack said:
Not quite Valve because they do a lot of multiplayer stuff that I'm simply unable to play. Any single player titles though I'll get no questions asked. I'll get anything from Platinum. I think that's it though, Bioware, Blizzard and Nintendo have all dropped off that list.
Most definitely Platinum. BioWare was on the list until the announcement of the new C&C game, which I will not be getting because I fucking hate RTS games.

And you know what? Square-Enix. If it is developed by Square-Enix, I will usually go out of my way to play it. Published by them... well, not so much. But I still like most of their developed games.
If you had asked me 5 or 6 years ago I would have said Square Enix but I cannot think of a single game they have made that I liked. The last Final Fantasy that I liked was 10 and that was the last game made by SquareSoft before their merger with Enix. I never liked Kingdom Hearts (borrowed them of a friend), 10-2 was crap in every way but I like the bonus ending (it is Cheesy and a Cleché but I love it), FF 12 was Return of the Jedi without Jedi or Sith and 13 was the single worst game I have ever played (and I have played The Force Unleashed 2). So now there is no one. Bioware was the only other contender but they blew it with Dragon age 2.

rockhard556

May 6, 2009
Black Isle i guess they don't exist anymore but i can dream. They were the people who published one of the first games i ever played (Baldurs Gate) and i still think they made the best fallout game (2).

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Atlus can have my wallet for all I care. I would eat up anything that has Atlus on the box.
High fives to all my Atlus people!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nope.
I question everything at least a little now.

Developers are fallible, and my tastes obviously aren't going to be on par with everything that gets released.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
um... [small]nintendo[/small], I mean not every game like the mario sports spinoffs but all the main series. great now I feel all dirty inside.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
no. i cant enjoy a bad game or get a game im not into just because i like the developer.

i will, however, pay attention to the games they are working on and if i like what i see, ill give it a try.

for example, i recently bought Bastion and absolutely loved it, so you can bet ill be keeping an eye on whatever Supergiant comes up with next... but i wont buy it if i dont like what i see. that just doesnt make sense

letfireraindown

Jul 28, 2010
Double Fine will get a pass and at least some game time from me, but I haven't really sunk days into anything of theirs but psychonauts. Valve, Blizzard, and Bioware would all be on such a list, if I had time and money to follow it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I have bought the past 3 Bethesda games on launch day. Definitely buy all of their games.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
No, of course not. That would be a very illogical way to do things. Even if certain devs are GUARANTEED to deliver on the quality front, (if such things exist, someone point me towards them please) they could simply be aiming at a totally different audience. I love Double Fine, but I didn't buy Brutal Legend since I don't like RTS, or that... Rock music... Dealy.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
No. Every developer I can think of has let me down multiple times. I don't think there ever was or will be a developer whos games I'd buy no questions asked.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Alakaizer said:
Anyways, my question is thus: Is there a development company (or more than one) that automatically has your support when a new game comes out?
I'm just going to tell you now, you'll be getting a LOT of responses like this:

Cronq said:
Uhh, Valve.
And admittedly...I'm going to add to that number. I have a copy of every Valve game. And so far their track record has been spotless to me. So any time they announce a new game, even as I look at details and await reviews, I concede that I'm likely going to buy it anyway.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Gizmo1990 said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Rack said:
Not quite Valve because they do a lot of multiplayer stuff that I'm simply unable to play. Any single player titles though I'll get no questions asked. I'll get anything from Platinum. I think that's it though, Bioware, Blizzard and Nintendo have all dropped off that list.
Most definitely Platinum. BioWare was on the list until the announcement of the new C&C game, which I will not be getting because I fucking hate RTS games.

And you know what? Square-Enix. If it is developed by Square-Enix, I will usually go out of my way to play it. Published by them... well, not so much. But I still like most of their developed games.
If you had asked me 5 or 6 years ago I would have said Square Enix but I cannot think of a single game they have made that I liked. The last Final Fantasy that I liked was 10 and that was the last game made by SquareSoft before their merger with Enix. I never liked Kingdom Hearts (borrowed them of a friend), 10-2 was crap in every way but I like the bonus ending (it is Cheesy and a Cleché but I love it), FF 12 was Return of the Jedi without Jedi or Sith and 13 was the single worst game I have ever played (and I have played The Force Unleashed 2). So now there is no one. Bioware was the only other contender but they blew it with Dragon age 2.

Man, you must hate most games that are released. I thought FF12 was one of the best in the series, and I liked 13. As for Dragon Age 2... I really liked it. Sure, some dungeons were recycled, but the characters were awesome, and the gameplay kept me glued.
How does me saying I disliked 3 games mean I hate all games that are relesed? I must say through that i did enjoy the gameplay in FF12 (except for the summons). I just did not like the story. Rip off Return of the Jedi. Fine. Rip of Return of the Jedi badly. No. Just...No)

tumultuoustibia

Dec 16, 2011
Any Bethesda RPG. They do nothing but create fantastic open worlds; however any attempt by them to create a game in a different genre fails immesively, see Brink and Wet.