Is there any good anime left?

IDS3Remix

Jun 10, 2011
Nile McMorrow said:
Verzin said:
For Anime that's aired recently, I'd suggest Deadman Wonderland, that is, if you don't mind a dark, cynical, and moar dark, though exceedingly well written plot.
EDIT: and violence.
Yes, this one! It is a really good anime. Though I kinda dislike how they ended it. It felt unfinished and according to the Manga theres a whole lot more. I hope they continue it.
I personally loved the Manga, but thought they really overplayed his "I need to be stronger to protect my friends" mentality in the anime, which pretty much killed it for me. Seeing someone cry and whine for so long in an anime is not quality entertainment as far as I'm concerned, which makes me profoundly sad, as I really wanted to like this show. And as far as the Manga goes, it's wrapping up it looks like, but it's still taking awhile. Good stuff so far, though still a little confusing...

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Your implying anime was good to begin with.

I've never understood why kids tv being in a different language or from a different culture makes it any more acceptable for grown men and women to watch.

Right, now bring on the hate.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
galaktar said:
I've spent a good chunk of my free time these past years watching the animes that caught my attention. At first it was refreshing to see new ideas, settings, and plots explored. As time went on though, I started actively searching for new things to watch. I stumbled upon a few hidden gems, but things progressed, the pickins got slimmer. I'm sick of the cliches. I'm sick of the stereotypical characters. I'm sick of the wasted storytelling opportunities that Japanese animation revels in.

I've seen too many to list here, but I want to ask if the internet has any other recommendations before I swear off the medium entirely. Is there anything left for a jaded anime fan?
There has only ever been a handful of good anime to come out each season.

You should know this if you actually followed anime closely.

Last Season Tiger and Bunny was the best thing ever, did you watch that?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, there have been several good animes of late, such as Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Usagi Drop, and Steins;Gate (though the VN is slightly better).

And there's always Manga and Visual Novels if one wants more fleshed out stories. A fair few animes are watered down adaptations to cash in on those, which do not do their source material justice (notable exceptions being Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Steins;Gate, and Monster).

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Matt King said:
highschool of the dead is pretty good and soul eater is awesome
Highschool of the Dead is sooo bad, its good, and only if you get some buddies and riff on it while driking..... heavily.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Ah, I see. You suffer from the infamous "Been there, seen that" syndrome. Allow me to give you some specifically non-generic-(mostly)-devoid-of-archetypes titles then:

Steins;Gate - I've currently reached uber fanboy status on this one.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Satiric humor always works.

Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari - You can't get much farther from generic than this.

Tatami Galaxy - Supersonic sub reading speed ahoy! (Twice as fun if you're in college)

Durarara! - Likable characters make the difference between shit and gold, you know.

Baccano! - ^ Ditto

Mawaru Penguindrum - Mind. Gets. Blown. Every. Episode. You think you know it all, but you know nothing.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - Durr, this is probably the most overhyped show I've come across these past few years, but I'd say it's justified.

I think this list meets your criteria; these are some of the "gems" that I found in the huge piles of garbage that we get every season.

Enjoy!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ooooooooooo! I thought of one that no one's mentioned thus far!

Bobobo-bobo-Bobobo
It's an action/comedy (mostly comedy) that parodies all the "never ending fight-based" animes, such as DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, ect. It's essentially like watching an animated acid trip as quite literally anything can happen, and more often than not that "anything" will make absolutely no sense. :p

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
OP implying that good and bad anime is completely quantifiably and objective instead of just their opinion.
Anime's still good to me.
Togs said:
I've never understood why kids tv being in a different language or from a different culture makes it any more acceptable for grown men and women to watch.
Implying cartoons are for kids and that kids tv shouldn't be enjoyed by adults.
Being closed minded towards animation is silly. Being closed minded towards children's television is silly.

Who said animation was children's tv? Who said it wasn't okay to watch Western animation other than anime purists and Japanophiles?

Also, there are cultural differences. I love many pieces of Western animation, but it is true I think that Japanese animators tend to include more mature content and themes of a non-comedy variety, than Western counterparts. In the 1990s, when anime really took off in the West, it filled a gap and desire in many viewers to view serious drama animation, which the West wasn't as interested in providing. Adult comedy, yes, but adult drama, no. The West was given things like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, which fueled an interest in anime in general because it filled that gap.

It's very ignorant and anti-art to ridicule an entire medium or art such as animation as "for children". Is drawing for children? No? Then why are animated drawings for children and children only?

John Pepperell

Mar 4, 2011
If you are interested in older series there are a good few gems that focused more on the story than most of todays works.

IE: Gundam 0079,Gundam 0082, Slayers,, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ronin Warriors(this one is very expensive right now though), G-Gundam, and Gundam Wing. Yes this was basically a list of anime that was one toonami at one point or another but they all great series in my opinion

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Plenty. Just bear in mind if you're looking for the same sort of thing over and over and not willing to be adventurous with anime, you probably will get bored. There are plenty of good things out there. I personally recommend Monster and Serial Experiments Lain if you want something really interesting. Apologies if you've already seen them.

Hmm, this is not the first time I've heard Steins;Gate being thrown around as a recommendation. Colour me interested.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
There is a lot of subpar anime out there but there still are a few gems. Look up these, they are just some of my favorite animes I have watched recently, hopefully you like some of them.
Spice and Wolf
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Evangelion
Elfen Lied
Star Driver
Cowboy Bebop
Durarara!!
Bacano!
[C]: The Money and Soul of Possibility
Lucky Star
Eden of the East
Those are some that I can think of off the top of my head right now.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
IDS3Remix said:
I personally loved the Manga, but thought they really overplayed his "I need to be stronger to protect my friends" mentality in the anime, which pretty much killed it for me. Seeing someone cry and whine for so long in an anime is not quality entertainment as far as I'm concerned, which makes me profoundly sad, as I really wanted to like this show. And as far as the Manga goes, it's wrapping up it looks like, but it's still taking awhile. Good stuff so far, though still a little confusing...
Yea it was a bit much, but I still enjoyed it all the same even though there were only 12 episodes. Hopefully, they'll come back to it and make some more episodes though. To be honest, I've not actually read the Manga but what I gathered from reading the DMW wiki sounded pretty interesting. Maybe I'll search the good old internets for an english localisation of the manga and get reading.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
wooty said:
...Persona 4. Just waiting on the new episodes to get subbed is a pain in the bum-bum.
Heck yes it is. Thursday used to be Persona day but now I have to wait for a day or two for subs.

Anyway, have you seen Baccano? It's a great show and the the short length of the series keeps the story tight and interesting.

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist. Just sayin'.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
galaktar said:
I've spent a good chunk of my free time these past years watching the animes that caught my attention. At first it was refreshing to see new ideas, settings, and plots explored. As time went on though, I started actively searching for new things to watch. I stumbled upon a few hidden gems, but things progressed, the pickins got slimmer. I'm sick of the cliches. I'm sick of the stereotypical characters. I'm sick of the wasted storytelling opportunities that Japanese animation revels in.

I've seen too many to list here, but I want to ask if the internet has any other recommendations before I swear off the medium entirely. Is there anything left for a jaded anime fan?
I myself have watched over 400 animes including films, short films, tv series, and OVAs and I have not gotten tired of it one bit. A lot of people are listing classics so you're going to get the obvious Akira, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell etc. but if you were as into anime as you say you were I'm sure you've already seen them. It would help, what about anime have you gotten tired of, which ones have you liked, and what shows have other people praised that you've hated. Might help zero in on your tastes.

Though I would recommend Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai. The animation is absolutely gorgeous with not a trace of the generic harem of female personalities you'll see in a lot of anime.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
When you can't find a new one go back to ones you haven't seen in a while. It's what I do anyway. I would love a chance to check out Love Hina, GTO or, Suzuka again but my DVDs are out of state at the moment (except for GTO which weren't mine to begin with but I just had to be nice and return them to their 'rightful owner' dammit)

Vigilante 989

Jan 17, 2012
If you haven't already check out my favorites:

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Clannad
Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black (Season 1-2 and OVA's)
Death Note
Elfen Lied (I guess?)
Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Gantz
Ghost in the Shell: SAC/2nd GIG and movies
NANA
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
High School of the Dead
Infinite Ryvius
Gundam Wing
Gundam 00
Gundam Seed/Destiny
Serial Experiments Lain
Speed Grapher
Soul Eater
When They Cry
Twelve Kingdoms
Plantes
R.O.D. The TV
Kino's Journey
Megas XLR (not anime, but still good)
Gunslinger Girl/Il Teatrino (I don't care what anybody says, the second season is on par with the first.)
Hell Girl (Season 1-3)
Hellsing Ultimate
Kanon 2006 (not as good as Clannad, but stil alright)
Witch Hunter Robin
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Eureka Seven
Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal/Reflections

That should do it.