Is this a healthy attitude to have about female friends?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm kind of like that. I have waaay more friends that are male than female. It's not that I shy away from having friendships with women, it's just that I seem to gravitate to other guys more. And any of my friends who are girls, well I don't really see them as much different than my friends who are guys.

But more on the point, there's nothing really wrong with having more close friends who are guys, that's just how it happens sometimes.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
How old are you? I didn't have a single male friend until I was 19 and in the army. It's probably an age thing.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
ImBigBob said:
How exactly do you "get all the awkwardness out of the way early"? Because if I meet someone and my first impression is really awkward, I tend to not want to be around them any longer.

The other point about accepting women into my life as friends makes more sense, but it's not like I have a switch in my head that makes me no longer attracted to them. Like I said in my first post, if a girl is cute, funny, interesting, and has a lot in common with me, why WOULDN'T I want to date her?

It isn't about wants it is about needs you shouldn't need to date any girl sure the idea might be nice but you should be fine without it. If you can't handle it you need to practice some self control and just think about someone else.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
GeneralTwinkle said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Not that I am agianst women
How are you not?
Everything in your post is misogynistic.
hey man! get off my case! not everyone is the same as you!!! you can't handle my opinion?! *gasp* don't know why people get all up in my face and DISAGREE WITHMEITSNOTMYFAULTI'MALWAYSANGRYAND AAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Vault101 said:
GeneralTwinkle said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Not that I am agianst women
How are you not?
hey man! get off my case! not everyone is the same as you!!! you can't handle my opinion?! *gasp* don't know why people get all up in my face and DISAGREE WITHMEITSNOTMYFAULTI'MALWAYSANGRYAND AAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!
I'm.. I'm sorry...
I'm not cool and edgy enough to be in the dark :(

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
pretty much this. Except it applies to all my peers.

If it isn't a frilly valley girl who says "like" every 2 words and never stops talking about facebook, its a cod fanboy who cant stop talking about xbox and how every other game is "gay."

The ones that don't act like a caricature of a girl are already taken. Then again, its now the end of high school so now I can finally have a chance to meet someone that goes beyond the mold.
realy? you acually agree with that

mabye your hanging out with the wrong kind of people...even then you can't dismiss people completly because they have a few "common/mainstream/steryotypical" traits

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
I don't think it's a good idea to, as a general rule, distance yourself from the opposite sex outside of romantic situations. My closest friend is female, and God only knows where I'd be without her. Many of my other close friends are also female, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Have we all at least entertained the idea of romantic feelings for each other at some point? Probably, but I'm quite comfortable just being friendly and letting things develop naturally, rather than attempting to force a relationship in any sense. This may be why I am the King of the Brozone, the infamous inner-circle within the friendzone in which close female friends start referring to you as there adopted brother. I literally cannot count how many times this has happened to me, and I find the whole thing to be intriguingly surreal.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
ImBigBob said:
And...that's the problem. I'm a single guy. If I meet a girl who is cute, interesting, and likes the same dorky things I do, why wouldn't I be attracted to her?
See, I wouldn't really call that "attraction". It probably feels like it from where you're standing because you have nothing to compare it to, but if you're anything like me as you get older you'll probably start to recognize it as curiosity.

A lot of women feel that curiosity too, they just seem to learn much younger to separate it from genuine attraction. I suspect because, unfortunately, if you're just attracted to anyone with the right sexual organs, then your attraction can only be worth very little to anyone you might give it to.

In short, this is where you learn discrimination. This is where you dive in and learn that some women are different from others. Some will make good friends, some will come to mean something more. Yeah, you might find you want to rush into a relationship with someone who really doesn't want to, but this in itself is a learning experience.. namely that someone who doesn't want to be a relationship with you is probably not someone you would be good with if you ever did get into a relationship with them.

Too many guys fail to learn that lesson.

So yeah, at the end of the day if you want to end up like.. certain other posters then don't ever talk to women and simply observe them from a distance, making notes and collecting data like you're observing some alien species.

But if you want to be able to genuinely function in a society with women in it, you need to learn to talk to them like actual human beings. I know that might sound obvious, but trust me.. I know how difficult it is, and how rewarding it can be when it finally starts to fall into place.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Friends are people. Female or male is irrelevant, imo. Treat everyone the same and shit be alright :D

Let's all be friends ^^

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Vault 101 just fucking won this sad, sad thread of pathetic generalizations.

Normally I'd be like, "Is it okay to feel good about... THIS?" But she's having a good enough time that I'm happy to see someone else happy.

Hi-Five!

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
aestu said:
GeneralTwinkle said:
Could I call you a misandrist if you prefer the company of women?
If you despised men and though every single man would bring down a discussion, and that they are only there for sex, then yes you would be.
So what account are you on? This has to be an account you made after you got banned, no newcomer would make 100 posts within 2 days unless they were deliberately trying to stir shit.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
aestu said:
GeneralTwinkle said:
Could I call you a misandrist if you prefer the company of women?
If they'd said that they don't like the company of men because men are stupid, boring and shallow you probably could. They'd be right, of course, but it's still not a very nice thing to say.

I can't even talk about politics with my friends because their boyfriends always feel the need to butt in with their worthless opinions, so I have to talk about my hair and nails until they go away.