Is this at all acceptable?

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
AtheistGuy said:
So to make a long story short, I have dandruff. This dandruff bothers my grandfather (Who I live with). I don't want to use any shampoo for it since it, quite honestly, doesn't bother me in the least. So he's taken it upon himself to actually put some drops on my head to get rid of it. The problem? I'm asleep when he does it.

SO it's a pretty straightforward question. Is this acceptable?
Let me get this straight.

You have a severe(or at least notable) dandruff problem to the point that your father's father is bothered by all the deceased epidermis you're littering around the place and when he asks you to wash your hair when you take a bath/shower, you are saying no? Thus forcing him to take drastic measures?

What is it about washing your hair semi-regularly that bothers you? Are you afraid that it's poisonous or damaging to your scalp? Are you against hygienics in general?

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
TheGauntman said:
Abandon4093 said:
TheGauntman said:
I'm appalled that the bulk of the replies have been "yeah your grandfather is wrong, but you should do something about your dandruff".

If the OP had long hair that bothered his grandfather, and the grandfather crept in and cut it off during the night, would you all say "yeah that was wrong, but you should have cut your hair". Or if the OP had a favourite t-shirt that the grandfather didn't like, and he threw it away while the OP slept, would you all say "yeah that was wrong, but you should have got rid of the t-shirt already".

I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong of the OP to retain his dandruff (I have a mild case and damn right I use anti-dandruff shampoo), but if he's okay with it then that's good enough for me.
A personal choice in appearance and flaking all over someone's house... =/=

I'm appalled you compared the two.
My point wasn't the specifics of my examples, but that the grandfather in question has taken it upon himself to sneakily alter something about the OP's 'personal choice in appearance' and the posters in this thread implicitly endorsed it.

And 'flaking all over someone's house...'? Hyperbole much? We have no indication of the severity of the OP's scalp condition and a lot of people are acting like there's snow drifts all over the lounge room. Until provided with extra details, I'm going with 'meddling old man trying to control grandson's appearance'.
Maybe you should read the whole thread before making assumptions.
Abandon4093 said:
TheGauntman said:
Abandon4093 said:
TheGauntman said:
I'm appalled that the bulk of the replies have been "yeah your grandfather is wrong, but you should do something about your dandruff".

If the OP had long hair that bothered his grandfather, and the grandfather crept in and cut it off during the night, would you all say "yeah that was wrong, but you should have cut your hair". Or if the OP had a favourite t-shirt that the grandfather didn't like, and he threw it away while the OP slept, would you all say "yeah that was wrong, but you should have got rid of the t-shirt already".

I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong of the OP to retain his dandruff (I have a mild case and damn right I use anti-dandruff shampoo), but if he's okay with it then that's good enough for me.
A personal choice in appearance and flaking all over someone's house... =/=

I'm appalled you compared the two.
My point wasn't the specifics of my examples, but that the grandfather in question has taken it upon himself to sneakily alter something about the OP's 'personal choice in appearance' and the posters in this thread implicitly endorsed it.

And 'flaking all over someone's house...'? Hyperbole much? We have no indication of the severity of the OP's scalp condition and a lot of people are acting like there's snow drifts all over the lounge room. Until provided with extra details, I'm going with 'meddling old man trying to control grandson's appearance'.
Maybe you should read the whole thread before making assumptions.
What part of my posts led you to think I didn't read the whole thread?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I like Head and Shoulders, it works about as well as any other shampoo, and I'm ready if nitrogen based aliens decide to invade our planet.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
The great thing about Head and Shoulders is that, even though it's largely about combatting dandruff, it does in fact function just fine in the standard tasks of a shampoo, you don't have to use regular shampoo afterwards, you can do it very easily during your shower. Mind you if the idea of using shampoo is as something you'd have to start doing then I'm not convinced you're taking showers to begin with. Perhaps you'd like to start doing that, the march of history clearly shows that maintaining good hygiene staves off infectious disease and severly impairs the spread of bubonic plague. Once you've worked that into your schedule you might find that the inclusion of a quick shampooing feels like an utterly trivial addition that will pay high dividends unless you're forming dreadlocks or trying to have shiny hair like an anime character.

Tzekelkan said:
All right, everybody agrees that sneaking into your room to mess with your hair is creepy.

On the other hand, apparently every single poster would do it to you anyway, since wanting to have bad personal hygiene is creepy as well.
At the very least I, were I in the grandfather's position, would want to limit the quantity of dandruff in my house.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
It looks like I'm going to be different here and be one of the only people here to say I don't quite believe it's creepy.

Hell he's family and an authority figure. Plus it's just your hair. Parental figures come into rooms of their dependents often and there's nothing creepy about those times.

That being said, dude. You should shampoo your hair.

My mom said if she were your grandpa, she'd just force you to do so.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
AtheistGuy said:
So to make a long story short, I have dandruff. This dandruff bothers my grandfather (Who I live with). I don't want to use any shampoo for it since it, quite honestly, doesn't bother me in the least. So he's taken it upon himself to actually put some drops on my head to get rid of it. The problem? I'm asleep when he does it.

SO it's a pretty straightforward question. Is this acceptable?

GET SOME HEAD AND SHOULDERS DUDE!!! thats fucking nasty!!!

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
TheGauntman said:
What part of my posts led you to think I didn't read the whole thread?
The part where you said, 'we have no indication of the severity of the OP's scalp.'

Go read.
Fair enough. I missed the OP's reply to your post.

However, his response reinforces my opinion his dandruff isn't that bad and the grandfather is being intrusive beyond the reasonable expectation of a guardian/grandparent. IF the OP's condition was as bad as the 'C' in your post I'd agree extreme steps were needed. But 'A' and occasionally 'B' don't warrant sneaky application of scalp treatments.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
To reiterate. It's that bad in an absolute worst-case scenario like a pipe breaking, medical emergencies or natural disasters. In every other situation you can only tell if you press your face against my skull to look for it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So you are unwilling to do a minor thing that will make both you and your grandfather's life better? Clearly your grandfather is the one who's crazy here...

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
AtheistGuy said:
To reiterate. It's that bad in an absolute worst-case scenario like a pipe breaking, medical emergencies or natural disasters. In every other situation you can only tell if you press your face against my skull to look for it.
Sorry but this is not how it works. You would have to take a photo, or better yet, let your grandpa take a picture. Because there are people people who tell you they are not too fat even though they are not able to reach their damn toes. People overestimate themselfs and underestimate others.
Your grandfahter is right to do so and you should do something against your bad hair.

BTW. Here is a nice Cracked article that explains it.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19177_5-shocking-ways-you-overestimate-yourself.html

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
AtheistGuy said:
Snippedy snip
No - you don't touch someone's body and interfere with just because they're unaware. If he has that much of a problem with it he can choose to throw you out. If, as you indicate in previous posts, it is not leaving a consistent mess it is not his problem. I'm very surprised so many people from the Escapist insist your granddad is right, considering how often they jump to words like 'freedom of...' or 'rights' when arguments arise over who can do what. I guess interfering with another's life is only a problem when it involves the proper authorities.

That aside - would you mind if I ask why you do not wash your hair with anti-dandruff shampoo? I've read through the thread and didn't stumble across the reason.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Skarvig said:
AtheistGuy said:
Sorry but this is not how it works. You would have to take a photo, or better yet, let your grandpa take a picture. Because there are people people who tell you they are not too fat even though they are not able to reach their damn toes. People overestimate themselfs and underestimate others.
Your grandfahter is right to do so and you should do something against your bad hair.

BTW. Here is a nice Cracked article that explains it.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19177_5-shocking-ways-you-overestimate-yourself.html
It's already been done. It is very mild.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
AngloDoom said:
AtheistGuy said:
Snippedy snip
No - you don't touch someone's body and interfere with just because they're unaware. If he has that much of a problem with it he can choose to throw you out. If, as you indicate in previous posts, it is not leaving a consistent mess it is not his problem. I'm very surprised so many people from the Escapist insist your granddad is right, considering how often they jump to words like 'freedom of...' or 'rights' when arguments arise over who can do what. I guess interfering with another's life is only a problem when it involves the proper authorities.

That aside - would you mind if I ask why you do not wash your hair with anti-dandruff shampoo? I've read through the thread and didn't stumble across the reason.
There is none available. It's a very long, complicated story and I don't quite feel like talking about it.