It's not THAT bad.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Luminous_Umbra said:
FalloutJack said:
To be honest, I think people just complain too much, overall. Alot of people can't just enjoy a movie like I can, so out come the complaints and nit-picks. Some things ARE bullshit, but not as much as most would say.
This, so much this. Although if I had to go for something a bit more specific, spin-offs, particularly video games. Yes, they are a bit different, but that's not a bad thing good grief.
Aha, like say how Evil Dead games can be quite alot different, especially the last one, but they ARE good.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Zontar said:
Speed Racer's live action movie, to the point I think it's the best movie the directors have ever made and is one of the best and most faithful adaptations I've seen to an animated series.
I thought the film was great but in saying so I never really watched the original. I just like how over the top hotwheel the races were!

OT- Do I dare say Bay version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Just to be clear, YES the film was still BAD but I was expecting ALOT WORSE (don't asked me how worse). I mean the franchise or the old cartoon was them getting into crazy situation like fighting giant robot in the city and fighting giant mutant cows (the latter did happened in the old cartoon)!

Still the film did had this spectacular scene-
This has got to be the greatest incarnation of Raph ever talking nice and praises his brothers!!

In saying so, this is coming from a guy who has seen alot of Bay movies so I guess I am used to his explosion, sexyness and sloppy action and writing.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I know a bunch of you share this disposition, but I'll cast the first stone. The Original Witcher isn't THAT bad. Then again, this gave could probably be described as having mixed opinions rather than overwhelmingly negative ones, so it might not apply here. Anyway, as one of the guys who was able to enjoy the game's strong points well enough to forgive its many flaws, that's my take on the game.

Nov 28, 2007
Throwing my hat in with the Mass Effect 3 group. Don't get me wrong, the original ending pissed me off. But if I hadn't enjoyed the game up to that point, it wouldn't have upset me as much. My biggest issue with the game was Kai Leng, who apparently had the special power of "plot". Why didn't he end up smeared against one of the overhangs on the Presidium? Because the plot said so.

Other than that and the original ending (EC wasn't great, but I was more able to accept it) and the biggest Villain Sue of the series, I really liked ME3.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Callate said:
I didn't hate The Amazing Spider-Man. It wasn't a fantastic movie; it jumped through a few too many trite genre hoops to really fly. But I didn't hate any of the performances, and I was kind of impressed to find out that some of the web-slinging was done with practical, rather than digital, effects.
I remember seeing that after watching Moviebob's extremely angry review on the subject....and felt it was pretty meh. I didn't like it as much as the Sam Ramie movies by far(I actually though "Evil Peter Parker" in SM3 was hilarious just because of how dorky it was, because that's truly his idea of being "bad") and it certainly felt like parts of the script got lost(The SWAT team gets turned into lizard-men and...nothing. Later on you find out it's okay, they got better) and a lot of potential was wasted, but was it terrible? Nope.

I saw it, was somewhat entertained and have no urge to ever watch it again. I didn't bother with the sequel though.

Also, the ending of ME3. Was I hoping for more? Hell yeah. Did it feel like the writers wrote themselves into a corner by ME2 and couldn't find a way out, running out of time and money and eventually just putting something together? Yep. Did I feel like the ending ran over my dog, made me watch and then served it to me for dinner like some people seem to feel like? Nope.

And frankly, I've seen far worse endings to both individual games and trilogies(especially trilogies. I've long since automatically assumed that the 3rd book/movie/game in a trilogy will always be the weakest of the three and I've rarely been wrong). Also, concerning the Reapers justification, it worked for me as in they believed in in the logic of "preserving life in reaper form to prevent it from going extinct" despite how evil and soulless that sounds to the species getting reaperized(and probably worked better then the "Dark Energy" explanation they were originally gonna go with). The star brat was the mistake they made in explaining it, not to mention the "push a button, get an ending" method of affecting how it all turned out.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
BlackBark said:
Doom, the movie. I mean, it's hardly the best film ever made and it didn't live up to the games, but I think it's pretty reasonable overall.

+1 to FF Spirits Within as well. I guess it just didn't live up to expectations, like most anime films to be honest, but it was still decent enough.
Doom wasn't terrible, but it's biggest problem can be summed up as "I liked this movie better when it was called ALIENS(and to a lesser extent Event Horizon)". Ironically, my favorite scene in the entire film is the 5 or so minutes when he's shooting things from an FPS POV. I wonder if it would have been better if they'd just filmed the entire movie like that and cut out some of the slower parts.

Never got the hates for Spirits Within. Sure, it didn't have much to do with the series but most of the games don't have that much to do with each other and frankly, it's still one of the better FF-related things put on film(counting some of the series as well). The biggest problem it had was being WAY too expensive to compensate for the small core audience.

Jun 20, 2013
Uncle Grandpa, I'd go as far to say that I actually like it a lot.

Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop, It's actually a lot of fun if you give it a chance. No, it doesn't hold a candle to the original, but I'd still play it over the sequels any day.

Elebits, yeah, it's a children?s game. It also has pretty cool music and fun gameplay.

Dec 10, 2012
ME3, absolutely. I actually understand why so many people abhorred the ending, and the problems others had with the game in general. Kai Leng is a *****, and the excision of the neutral dialogue option is worse. But I think I see it differently than a lot of people. I found the good parts more than good enough to completely drown out the mistakes they made. It was a great finale to a great series.

And, here's one I don't even get: Days of Future Past. Wha? Why do so many people dump on this movie? It wasn't just NOT bad, it was really good! Every time I hear that someone hates it, my mind is boggled all over again. If you ask me, it's just as good as First Class, and everyone liked that one. Someone, please explain this to me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Arkham Origins isn't that bad if you don't take into account all the glitches and game-breaking bugs.
I can second that. I never took the criticism about it being an iterative sequel very seriously either since that never comes up for the various CoD and Madden re-releases.

Silentpony said:
Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Its actually a really decent sci-fi story with great animation. Too bad it was named Final Fantasy
Agreed. It was a really interesting premise after all...also, gotta love James Woods as a villain.

---

Metroid Other M wasn't that bad. It was definitely different and the story was absolutely garbage but unlike many other Wii games, the control gimmick funcitonal (for me). I genuinely can't play the Prime collection and Skyward Sword would have been much easier if I could use a real controller but at least for Other M I could play the game properly (not counting the first-person shooting that you have to do for some reason).

Watch_Dogs wasn't that bad either...then again, I don't think people called it BAD necessarily. Once the game launched some people realized that no, the game won't bring your childhood dog back to life but it was a pretty solid open-world. I would almost go so far as to say it's the best open world game on the Wii U but I haven't played Lego Batman 2 or 3 yet.

Modern Simpsons isn't great. Modern Simpsons is definitely worse because of its lack of people like Sam Simon, Phil Hartman and, Conan O'Brian. Modern Simpsons is still pretty entertaining if nothing else is on. It's been going on for way too long but it hasn't aged too terribly badly considering it's been on the air for nearly as long as I've been alive.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
The Chronicles of Riddick anyone? I thought it was a really fun action movie romp.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. Now, the writing is all over the place and the stealth sections are atrocious, but the graphics and the music are gorgeous and the combat is wicked fun.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
RealRT said:
The Chronicles of Riddick anyone? I thought it was a really fun action movie romp.
Shit, I was going to say that. But yeah, I'm totally with you on that. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but I still thoroughly enjoy the film on the whole.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Luminous_Umbra said:
Blank-slate...yes...because the phrase "actions speak louder than words" is just a phrase.

And come on, I doubt most people complain about the "what" of the Varia Suit bit. It's the "why" and honestly the whole "permission" business with her gear was completely idiotic.

And lastly, there's a colossal difference between "insecurities and weaknesses" and "being so mindbogglingly stupid as to actively endanger yourself for no reason when you have to means to protect yourself." I wouldn't want Samus or any other character to have that trait.
Actions speak louder than words? 99% + of "Samus" actions are input directly by the player, and most of the rest are either finishing an action the player started, or are running away from or watching an exploding set piece. Ok, so you didn't choose to not shoot the baby Metroid, that's about 10 seconds of "not blank slate" with a few other minor moments stacked up against hundreds of hours of "blank slate..." to me, sans Other M, she easily qualifies. And yes, the "permission" thing was not written well. But again, finding some reason to take away her upgrades to set up the exploration part of the game is a staple of the series. And how many times could they pull the old "trip and fall and break all but the most basic parts of my suit, tee-hee" bit? At least they tried something different. Sure it was stupid and didn't work, but it was different. And again I question how "endangered" Samus was in the lava room. Sure, she could have stepped back into the previous room and turned on the varia suit, or even contacted what's his name to ask for "permission." Or she could have seen the room laid out in front of her and thought "ahh screw it, this looks piss-easy (because it was.) I'll upgrade the suit later. The way the rest of the bottle ship has been laid out there's probably one of those full health rooms behind that big door." Seriously, I had more problems with the story via the regenerating health and full health save rooms than I did with the "permission" thing. And those things were gameplay issues with me while the permission thing was just a story problem.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Scarim Coral said:
I enjoyed the heck out of that incredibly stupid movie. Especially the "skiing" scene.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Pyrian said:
Scarim Coral said:
I enjoyed the heck out of that incredibly stupid movie. Especially the "skiing" scene.
Haven't seen it myself, because I just simply refuse to see any Bay movies based on some things he's said. But everyone I've heard talk about it, said the "elevator scene" was their favorite part, or at least really funny.

Let's see, more Not Bads

Nickelback. Seriously people, there are far more shitty bands out there then these guys. The internet hate of them is comical in it's absurdity.

Yeah, that's the only new one that's popped up in my head recently that hasn't already been covered by other posters.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
Nickelback. Seriously people, there are far more shitty bands out there then these guys. The internet hate of them is comical in it's absurdity.
Wait, hating on Nickelback is still a thing? Either way, I never understood the hatred for them either. Yeah, they're generic pop-rock, but there are worse things in the world than that. And I actually like Rockstar.

OT: In the way of games...

Well, you lot are probably tired of hearing me say this by now, but once again, I liked Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It's the worst in the series, sure, but come on, guys, it wasn't that atrocious. I like that they actually tried something new with its gameplay; It matches the game's aesthetic beautifully and creates some interesting situations.

[sub][sub][sub](Though Kersti can still go fuck herself. She's the worst part of the game by far.)[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Oh, and also Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. Yeah, the limited amount of Pokémon you could play as was...underwhelming.[footnote]Also, why did they remove being able to choose you and your partner's gender in the non-Japanese versions? Yeah, it doesn't really change anything, but it was nice to have the option. It is an RPG, after all...[/footnote] And the writing was kinda eh. But it was still an enjoyable romp to the end, and they actually had an explanation for why your player character can come back in the post-game instead of just "Welp, here you go. Don't question it, just take it." (I said can come back because your character coming back in the post-game is actually optional this time; You don't have to bring him/her back if you don't want to.)

Hmmm...And Pewdiepie. I mean, I'm not a fan of him, and his fandom is bigger than his hatedom, but I don't really understand the vitriol towards this guy. That his fans can be annoying is in no way his fault. And outside of all the screaming, he's a genuinely kind-hearted dude who donates a lot of the money he earns to charity. It's so annoying when people start bitching about Pewds on videos that have absolutely nothing to do with him. Just...leave it be, alright? Nobody is forcing you to watch him, so just let him do his things and make the people who do like him happy.

And when it comes to other stuff...

St. Anger. No, it's not Metallica's greatest album. No, none of the songs on that album would fall into my top 5 Metallica songs, or even my top 10. But I still think it's a good album.

...And that's all the stuff I can think of right now.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

I actually think that's the best one out of the prequel trilogy, mainly because Hayden isn't in it. Yes, the dialogue is still pretty hard to listen to, but the action is good, Hayden's whining isn't there, that lightsaber battle at the end is bonkers, and Hayden isn't there. I will happily watch this movie over the other two any day.
Did I mention that Hayden isn't there? I mentioned that, right?
That was what I was thinking when I was looking at the title of the thread. What severely hindered The Phantom Menace was that people unsurprisingly compared it to the films in the original trilogy, and it suffered for it. My favourite Star Wars film will always be The Empire Strikes back.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Artina89 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

I actually think that's the best one out of the prequel trilogy, mainly because Hayden isn't in it. Yes, the dialogue is still pretty hard to listen to, but the action is good, Hayden's whining isn't there, that lightsaber battle at the end is bonkers, and Hayden isn't there. I will happily watch this movie over the other two any day.
Did I mention that Hayden isn't there? I mentioned that, right?
That was what I was thinking when I was looking at the title of the thread. What severely hindered The Phantom Menace was that people unsurprisingly compared it to the films in the original trilogy, and it suffered for it. My favourite Star Wars film will always be The Empire Strikes back.
As I've mentioned in some other thread somewhere, possibly earlier in this one, the Phantom Menace's biggest problem (in my opinion), isn't comparing it to the original trilogy, but having to face 30+ years of fan expectation buildup. Yeah, when I saw it, I wasn't too impressed, and the Star Wars fanboy in me was very disappointed in a lot of ways, but, I mean really, it wasn't that bad of a movie. Just on story structure and other factors, it was fairly well made. There are tons of worse scifi movies out there. It just had the pedigree of 3 movie classics of pop culture to deal with, and the unrealistic expectations of fans. Hell there are movies released NOW that are way worse than Phantom Menace.

Damnit, I had some new things I was going to add that I thought of during my lunch break, but I forgot. *thinks hard* Bah, can't recall. Most of the other things floating in my head now are things that I don't like, that people thought were pretty good.

Oh! Waterworld. It wasn't a bad movie, I thought it was pretty good when it came out, and I still think it's pretty good. It was one of the more original post apocalyptic premises that I've seen to date, and I appreciated the difficulty in trying to produce that movie.

Just thought of another one!

Van Helsing. Sorry but I enjoyed the hell out of that movie. It was so over the top and cheezy. But it had some really fun qualities to it that I loved.

1. The comic relief/sidekick was actually useful. When Helsing was up against a threat, he ALWAYS had the needed item to help him fight it. He was Johnny on the Spot when it came to assisting the Monster Hunter in his job, including a dramatic slow motion rope swing to catch the plot device that saves the day in the end. He even got laid, something the Hero wasn't able to accomplish.

2. The whole point of the mission was to save the souls of the one family. And entire family line at risk of damnation, because of an oath they made to rid their country of Dracula. And they don't actually save the Damsel in Distress. She dies, but they are all allowed into heaven because of their actions.

3. Dracula. Oh...my...god, this guy. THIS...GUY. He was so damn funny. SO over the top. Chewing up every scene he was in, including when he's hanging upside down and bitching at his 3 wives. He was such a fun villain to watch.

BlackBark

Apr 8, 2010
Dalisclock said:
BlackBark said:
Doom, the movie. I mean, it's hardly the best film ever made and it didn't live up to the games, but I think it's pretty reasonable overall.

+1 to FF Spirits Within as well. I guess it just didn't live up to expectations, like most anime films to be honest, but it was still decent enough.
Doom wasn't terrible, but it's biggest problem can be summed up as "I liked this movie better when it was called ALIENS(and to a lesser extent Event Horizon)". Ironically, my favorite scene in the entire film is the 5 or so minutes when he's shooting things from an FPS POV. I wonder if it would have been better if they'd just filmed the entire movie like that and cut out some of the slower parts.

Never got the hates for Spirits Within. Sure, it didn't have much to do with the series but most of the games don't have that much to do with each other and frankly, it's still one of the better FF-related things put on film(counting some of the series as well). The biggest problem it had was being WAY too expensive to compensate for the small core audience.
Yeah, I agree with you about Doom, although maybe a full length film in first person would have been a bit much (I am a fan of that scene, though). Perhaps if they'd used a more over the top style, in the same vein as Sin City and 300, it would have worked better. I think the characters fit well, but the overall style was too bland and, as you said, trying to be like Alien.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dalisclock said:
I know! I never understood that either! Seriously the only thing all the games have in common is a guy named Cid, well guess what, there was a Cid in Spirits Within. So I don't know what else they were expecting to be "true to the game line". Because yeah, they were all completely different games with their own world and rules. Spirits Within at least had a comprehensible plot, unlike most of the games, and it didn't involve a "I will save the world by destroying it to end all pain!! MMMUAHAHAHA I'M NOT EVIL!!" type badguy.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Happyninja42 said:
Spirits Within at least had a comprehensible plot, unlike most of the games, and it didn't involve a "I will save the world by destroying it to end all pain!! MMMUAHAHAHA I'M NOT EVIL!!" type badguy.
Or my favorite "I'm sad that my girlfriend keeps dying when someone messes with the future(by changing the present). I'm gonna mess up time myself, crash the universe and kill everything in existence in order to fix this problem". I'm sure that sounded more sane in his mind then it does to everyone else.