It's the End of the War as We Know It

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Halo was just one game that decided to go with P2P and look how that clusterfuck has spread to so many other console games.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
dogstile said:
I'm sorry, two games decide not to have dedicated servers and you are all up in arms?

Seriously? I agree with the funk.
Please reread the article, you missed the point of it.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I feel for the PC crowd, I really do. But I refuse to shed a tear since they helped to make it the best selling title of all time. The solution is simple DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME! Sign the petition AND THEN STICK TO IT!

Infinity Ward has no reason to listen to you or anything you say because they're still making money hand over fist.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I'd add that removal of dedicated servers actually takes us BACKWARDS in terms of PC gaming. All the negatives listed were primary reasons that dedicated servers developed into a commercial product in the first place. This smells of greed and hubris on a certain level.

It seems possible to me that the publishers may be a bit more concerned with allowing follow-on services that they themselves don't control. I mean, why should they (publishers) design something to enable someone else (dedicated hosts) to make a minuscule fraction of the money the original publisher does? I don't buy the argument, but I can see it seeming reasonable to a sufficiently warped MBA decimal shaver.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
VanBasten said:
dogstile said:
I'm sorry, two games decide not to have dedicated servers and you are all up in arms?

Seriously? I agree with the funk.
Please reread the article, you missed the point of it.
Peh, no i didn't, i only choose to comment on one part of it.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I mean no disrespect but this all kind of sounds like a horse drawn carriage enthusiast complaining about automobiles.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Naturalized said:
SakSak said:
The point where either consoles or PC gaming dies out is the point where no-one can no longer tell the difference between the two: The point where consoles will have the modding ability of PC games and can do RTSs well while PCs will be uniform enough in system architecture to make compatibility problems nonexistent.

[HEADING=2]And that day is a long, long way off.[/HEADING]
Fixed. It is definitely a VERY long way off and to do RTS well, you need a keyboard/mouse set up. Which consoles are definitely not going to do considering they are going down the motion route (which I think is a load of BS)
I think that's a narrow-minded view to take. Who's to say we won't one day have the classic touch-interface a la Minority Report. It'd be a fantastic way of controlling your media.

ZZoMBiE13 said:
I feel for the PC crowd, I really do. But I refuse to shed a tear since they helped to make it the best selling title of all time. The solution is simple DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME! Sign the petition AND THEN STICK TO IT!

Infinity Ward has no reason to listen to you or anything you say because they're still making money hand over fist.
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

Why bother trying to vote with our wallets when everyone else will buy the game anyway, and the console players won't complain about it in the slightest?

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Souplex said:
I mean no disrespect but this all kind of sounds like a horse drawn carriage enthusiast complaining about automobiles.
It's actually automobile enthusiasts complaining about being forced to ride a horse drawn carriage because "All the Amish do it, we just wanna let you have the same great experience. Also Amish don't lean."

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Woodsey said:
Caliostro said:
There is another option. Time for gamers to put their money where their mouth is.

MW2 sucks nuts? Don't fucking buy it. Don't give them your profit. Give it to people who actually [http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/main/showthread.php?t=213789] gives a shit [http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=783&Itemid=69].

Nothing tells developers what really matters like money flow. Wanna show them they fucked up? Wanna show them what they SHOULD be doing? Send your money elsewhere. Suddenly they'll care.
Whilst I agree, if no PC gamers buy MW2 then IW/Activision are just as likely to say "fuck you" to our faces (instead of using their dastardly tactics like so far). They could then easily use this to say that they won't make PC games at all.
Frankly I'd rather have nothing at all than support condescending suits. Most gamers buying this crap have apparently forgotten the 1983 disaster which nearly ceased the videogame industry permanently.

Activision are pulling an Atari with ET, and people are actually falling for it. This is bad.

mattag08

Sep 9, 2009
Gotta agree with the comment above. Point 3 is a key the reason why I don't play online console games and I stick to gaming on my PC. Another spot on article from Mr. Young. Keep 'em coming.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
I really hope that some of these don't happen. This PC is like my child. I remember looking through the bargain table at Mircocenter, looking for that perfect soundcard in a bent box, or that DVI cable with a slight kink in it.

This article explains why I don't like what's happening better than I could. In fact, I'm staying away from Modern Warfare 2 and Rage specifically because of that. Of course, both games will sell ridiculously well anyway, but at least I'll always have singleplayer. Oh hell, who am I kidding, singleplayer is an afterthought these days. I'm just screwed all-round.

Qualifiying statement: No PC game without dedicated servers and other multiplayer features that make the PC unique as a gaming-choice will get my patronage, regardless of how awesome that game may otherwise appear to be. It is a shame, because I really wanted Modern Warfare 2, and now I'm passing it up.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Vote with your wallet, don't buy MW2. Don't even pirate it. Rent it if you have to, that way it doesn't show on IW's profit chart.

We can stop this horrible change in the industry if we just band together and vote as one. The PC gaming community is still a force to be reckoned with!

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
I still don't understand why the writers on The Escapist keep saying services like IWNet saves the developers or publishers money. It's an entirely new system they developed from the ground up and made it unique to a single game. That's not a money saving venture. That's spending money.

It's spending money to make money of course (woo, map packs that could have been put together by your average PC map maker!), but they did not save any money at all by developing the system.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
UtopiaV1 said:
Vote with your wallet, don't buy MW2. Don't even pirate it. Rent it if you have to, that way it doesn't show on IW's profit chart.

We can stop this horrible change in the industry if we just band together and vote as one. The PC gaming community is still a force to be reckoned with!
not everyone has THE POWER OF WILL THAT WE DO.
as the sales figures for the game indicate, we are a MINORITY, BUT A VOCAL ONE ON THE INTERNET.
so we SEEM bigger than we are.
bad truth, the best we can do is ensure the success of games like BF:BC2, which by its very nature needs dedi servers.
actually, FUCK IT I'LL JUST GO BACK TO THE BF FRANCHISE.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I just hope that when the big cheeses see that their PC sales for these games are plummetting, they'll correctly ascertain that it's the lack of dedicated servers that lead to the downfall, not "piracy" or just the weakening of the PC market.

They easily could misconstrue it to mean something that it doesn't, and then slowly the PC gaming industry will shrink even further then it is now.

as of now, I haven't met a PC gamer who's going to buy Mewtwo or rage

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Caliostro said:
Woodsey said:
Whilst I agree, if no PC gamers buy MW2 then IW/Activision are just as likely to say "fuck you" to our faces (instead of using their dastardly tactics like so far). They could then easily use this to say that they won't make PC games at all.
Let'em. Fuck it. Someone else will take their place. Dice/EA for instances.

I promise you, if enough money is being moved around, they'll suddenly want us back... Hell, if enough money goes around, they'll sell their mothers to have us back. It's all about money.
Exactly, and since computers are more expensive than consoles, people buy consoles instead of computers.

If high end gaming PCs were not so expensive I would more people would be using them for games.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I was raised on pc games. My first RTS being homeworld. I remember sitting around in the lobbys talking to people as we set up game after game after game. There was a huge load time and we all would sit around and "race" our loading bars. However that was 1999 and there was maybe 15 to 20 of us sitting around on a dial up connection playing a niche game.

Now we have huge masses of people playing. Dedicated servers gave people that small community feel. I hate playing on the 360 because sure you might have a good game with a handful of people but when its over you jump right back into the mass of people randomly selected for some other game where you might run into some dick that screams every 3 or decides he is the team captain and barks orders at everyone and if you dont do it they spam your name for a kick the rest of the game.

I havnt games with people in a long time and it is rather depressing. Not because I have problems talking with people but mostly because I have problems with what most multiplayer communities have turned into. They seem to mostly have become a giant mob of either people so hell bent on following rules and regulations or people so hellbent on being the most awesome shit the world has ever seen. We have lost simply playing a game because its a fun game and we want to experiance it with other people.

You may wonder where I am going with this but PC players have always had a certain air of simply enjoying a game. Not that console gamers dont have this I have had plenty of fun with a handful of people playing console games. However with this whole matchmaking thing and deathmatches on small maps with caffeine junkies and 12 year olds. There is no longer that feeling of playing a game with other people that enjoy the game. Instead it has turned into what the name of the game is; a deathmatch.

True we may have lost dedicated servers but multiplayer in itself has evolved and turned into some horrible mutant monster. I no longer enjoy it and probably never will again. Maybe it is just what people have turned into or maybe it is the fact that gaming has become more widespread and popular. Maybe that old saying "you cant teach an old dog new tricks" has more thruth to it then I originally thought.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Carlston said:
As always a few bad PC apples cheat and everyone blabs about it.

You can run hacks just the same on xbox's and ps3's I seen it.

This bites because honestly, I enjoy the game but I don't FPS with a controler, I'm a mouse and keyboard shooter, I want to beable to aim where i want to, not run around fire and pray the auto target assist helps me out like most console FPS do.
yeah, but if you have been following with the news, you may have seen the article about Microsoft banning something like...600,000 to 1,000,000 Xbox accounts because of this. You can't have this mass genocide of cheaters on PC.
The real joke about that is they are not "banned" they took away all their prepaid months, xbox points ect,
So basicly all they did is slap on the wrist and say "Now pay big daddy Microsoft and we'll let ya back. World of warcraft style. They never really ban anyone...and 1 million people? They'll let them back just gotta paid again.