Jack Thompson: "I'm Surprised I Lasted That Long"

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Ah, Jack Thompson. Where would we be without your brilliantly insane mind to jab at?

A better place, probably. But you're entertaining, nonetheless. Troll on, good buddy.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Seminary? Dang it, the last thing we need is someone like Thompson in a position like that. He claimed to be a Christian, but all he did was project extremist views in extremely non-Christian ways. Now he's in seminary? Cue predictable and ignorant Christian bashing...

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Bah. I'm not going to say that I'll be happy when another human being dies, but when his black heart decides to stop working, I'll shed no tears...

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
I really have got to ask, how did this dipshit get barred in the first place? It almost knocks of a conspiracy where the person that gave him his career was a gamer and knew Thompson was a complete idiot who would irreparably damage if not flat out destroy the campaign against video games.
...probably someone who helped write Deus Ex...

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
How exactly does this prove that he doesn't think that way anymore? He's allowed his opinion, but he's tried to make his opinions federal opinions.

I don't have opinions on the man, good or bad, but I don't buy that he's a more open-minded person now. He could be, but there's no proof of that. More to the point, why would it matter? Could this be the final chapter of The Escapist's coverage of Jack Thompson? Please?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
DevilWolf47 said:
I really have got to ask, how did this dipshit get barred in the first place? It almost knocks of a conspiracy where the person that gave him his career was a gamer and knew Thompson was a complete idiot who would irreparably damage if not flat out destroy the campaign against video games.
...probably someone who helped write Deus Ex...
That was so long ago. Getting accepted past the bar association test was a lot easier back then. Once you're accepted, it takes a lot of work to get disbarred. There are only two cases that I know of that were public enough for me to remember. The first one is obviously Jack Thompson. The second would be Mike Nifong. If you need a reference to that, think Duke lacrosse team.

I'm sure that most disbarring cases are not that public though.

northeast rower

Dec 14, 2010
I won't lie, I respect Thompson. He's smart, he's got convictions that he stands by, he's eloquent, he's occasionaly funny, and, most importantly, he's damn good at inciting the public. He's something of a Cicero for our modern age, just without a worthy Catiline.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
I am honestly surprised. When I first saw the quote, "I'm surprised I lasted that long," I assumed it was some crack at how video gamers are violent, social outcasts that would have used Grand Theft Auto to plan his assassination and the Sims 2 to plan the raping of his corpse.

joebthegreat

Nov 23, 2010
Oh god, all you need to do is mention someone on the "gamer hit list" (which I will be calling it from now on, to include Thompson, Atkinson, and Kotick) and you get this list of hateful insults. This is especially bad because he isn't doing ANYTHING here.

Come off it already. He was wrong, he had some bad ideas. That doesn't make him the devil, or even necessarily a bad person. That doesn't make him insane, or stupid. All it makes him is someone who disagrees with you. His argument was wrong, nothing happened. Stop acting so personally hurt.

Think about the way you treat your enemies the next time you end up having an unpopular opinion, or an opinion based on something you later find to be completely wrong. Or, you know, just live like plankton going wherever the current takes you.

For the record, I could care less about this guy, won't be reading the book, and I'm wearing a paintball mask right now.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yes Jack, it was God's will that saved you from the corruption of games and let you last that long.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
moretimethansense said:
"Sanest people I know" "too smart for his enemies"
I... Words, can't describe the idiocy.
I really have nothing more to say, I'm just flaberghasted at the sheer insanity on display here.
Lightslei said:
So he still hasn't figured out where to quit?
31 years ... not a whole lot of learning going on he's really slow

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
For clarification, God does not frown on video games any more than movies or comics.

But anyways, if he's "too smart for his enemies", please explain the intense fail that was the Sims 2 "controversy". Or his being disbarred.
To be fair, if "smart" equaled "success," the video game industry itself would look radically different.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I hate when idiots procclaim themselves as God's messenger, sent here by God himself to save the world. Soon to take on the acursed satanic games that control humanity... F!ing moron.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"But I had a responsibility to try to be God's voice in the world."
Jack Thompson is also an Evangelical troll now?

MY GOD, HE'S EVOLVING TO THE NEXT STAGE OF BLOWHARD DOUCHEBAG.

tl;dr:

Yep. Still works!