Jack White and Jimmy Page Don't Like Guitar Hero

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
It is a little sad that people are discovering music and these great bands via Guitar Hero.
It's also sad how after they find out how awesome some of these bands are they go and buy their albums and give them more money.

Hey Malygris, just a heads up Prince said that too, it's quoted in issue 195 of Game Informer just in case you wanted to add that.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
If Steve Perry is any indication "don't like guitar hero" is codespeak for "we'll be having DLC songs in Rock Band"

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Well, there goes our hopes of a Led Zeppelin Guitar Hero down the drain.
However, it might the for the best. It would null their credibility and no one wants that to happen to Zeppelin.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
I absolutely love Rock Band, and I love music. I'm not even half-bad with an instrument (I learned a few in my childhood, but never stuck with any of them). There's a reason Rock Band appeals to me, and I'm not surprised that professionals like Jimmy Page don't share that same reason.

Many music fans only wish that they could play those songs. How many people have rocked out with an air guitar to Stairway to Heaven? Should they stop pretending and get a real guitar? The truth is, they'll never be able to attain that, but they enjoy the connection to music that comes with pretending. It's both an enjoyment and celebration of the art. It's not meant to be a replacement for the real thing.

This is exactly where Rock Band fits in. Not only do you get to pretend to play your favorite song (that you know you could never learn to play for real), but you get to do so in a way that feels much more real (than, say, air guitar) and you can get the fun and challenge of playing a game while doing so.

The assertion that kids are being exposed to music through video games sounds like a lot of marketing to me. There's still radio, there's still MTV (well, when it's not reality TV game shows), and kids are buying more music than ever before. If it were true that video games are all that kids play and the only way to reach them with music is to put it in to a game, then yes, that would be sad, but I don't believe the premise.

As for Jimmy Page, I think he should sit down and play Rock Band, just once. Sure, it's not the real thing, but it certainly does emulate it. Guitar (for the most part) is played by holding down combinations of strings at various positions with one hand and strumming those strings with the other -- almost exactly what you do with the plastic peripheral. The timing, the dexterity, even some of the awkward hand positions are the same as what you need in order to play a real guitar. Hell, they even teach you about more advanced techniques like hammer-ons and pull-offs. Sure, playing Guitar Hero won't teach you how to play a real guitar, but it will certainly train some of the skills that playing guitar requires.

And the guitar is the least realistic of the instruments. The drums, while not as full of a set, still require hitting the right drums at just the right times, including stepping on the pedal for the kick drum. The same skills that make a person a good drummer make them good at the Rock Band drums, and many of those same basic skills can be learned while playing the Rock Band drums. Singing is even more realistic -- lyrics, timing, and pitch make up almost the entirety of singing, and believe me, if you can't sing, you'll have a hard time fooling the game.

Now look at this from the perspective of teaching music. My sister uses Rock Band with her students and finds it helps teach them many basic skills: sight reading, timing, and several of the techniques for using the actual instruments. Where else could you get a drum set and guitar, with a catalog of music and a personal trainer for $200? Again, it's not the real thing, but it's close enough to be quite useful to a beginner, and it's a lot more fun than practising your scales ad nauseum.

And you know what? It gets kids interested in playing music. Many kids who enjoy music never dream that they might actually be able to play an instrument or sing a tune. I know many people personally who would never sing in public, but will sing along to Rock Band. Giving kids a chance to try their hand at perfoming, in a simpler, more approachable manner, just might convince a kid that they really could play an instrument. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen somebody buy a guitar or go for vocal lessons after playing Rock Band. Heck, an actual drummer convinced me to learn drums from him after seeing me play the drums on Rock Band. What more could professional musicians ask for than to get young people interested in their craft?

I think Jack White and Jimmy Page need to come down from their ivory tower and see what it looks like at the bottom. Not everybody is a professional musician, or even an aspiring musician. Music games give us mere mortals a way to connect with and enjoy music. Any musician should be pleased that a new medium is bringing more people to their work and allowing them to experience and appreciate it in new ways.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
It is a little sad that people are discovering music and these great bands via Guitar Hero. But it's also incredibly fun and not supposed to be some perfect simulation of playing instruments.
I discovered both Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Johnson from GH3 and I don't really feel sad for that. I'm just glad I discovered two truly awsome guitarists earlier than I would have done otherwise. Though, comparing GH with real guitar is imbecillety. Nothing beats the real thing XD.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Whats that shooting Nazi in a video game, if you had any self respect you would grab a real gun and kill real Nazi's.

Plastic buttons wont replace muscians anymore than arcade dance machines are going to replace real dancing or microsoft paint making the canvas obselete

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
Hey, as long as the games help good bands become more popular and make people forget about the shitty ones, I can't complain.

The games being fun is just a bonus.

Trifer420

Mar 20, 2009
Neosage said:
Malygris said:
I really don't understand that kind of mentality. We know that playing videogames and playing actual musical instruments are completely different things. So what? Sometimes people just want to have a little fun with their friends. You remember "fun," right? It's what rock and roll used to be before everyone got so damned sanctimonious about it.
Its true, its all for fun but when people spend their lives perfecting it and posting videos of it on youtube as if it is some sort of achievement, I completely see what the musicians are talking about. Alot of guitar hero gamers seem to think that playing guitar hero and playing guitar are similar.
the last sentance is pretty much the only reason I hate guitar hero/rock band, otherwise i don't care too much for it.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
To some degree, I agree with the guys. Most people I know that play guitar hero, act like they know everything about music there is to know, when they cannot name any songs from a known band, such as Metallica or Iron Maiden, aside from those featured on Guitar Hero. That, is a little sad.

However, what is even more sad is that all these musicians think it's not a valid source of entertainment. It might not be the same as standing in front of thousands upon thousands of people, but guess what Jack and Jimmy; you are a fucking minority. At least let the others have some sense of what it's like, eh?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The final two paragraphs are really excellent points.
It's a game to have fun, not a game to replace actual musical instruments.
And I find it weird that a band would be adverse to any new way to get their music in front of kids. Whether they hear it from the radio or their Xbox, who cares? At least the game allows for some interactivity with the song.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
To an extent, I agree with them. I mean, after all, if you can get near 100% in TTFATF, then you definately need to pick up and start playing a damn guitar already!

rowan-thats-me

Jul 23, 2008
I think rock band is both good and bad for music, bad as it draws away alot of potential musicians, but good as it gets people into rock music, hell, theres a 10 year old by me who listens to maiden, bet he wouldnt be without rockband/guitar hero

On a side note, mt freind, fat edd, is grade 8 guitar and hes awsome at guitar hero, so its not as if you can only do one of them

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Like South Park already showed us:

If people had spent half the time playing a real instrument that they do playing the game, who knows what they would accomplish.

That's why the second I get some time and a good TV show to watch, I'm going back to playing the REAL guitar. Even if I suck.

Also, don't you need to spend hundreds of dollars on plastic guitars, anyway? And a console? Because I do believe that Xbox 360 + Guitar Hero + controller is more expensive than a nice guitar, either acoustic or electric.

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
I've said this before, oh no, famous people with an opinion, what should we do?

sarcasm by the way, let them have their opinion

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Mr.Tea said:
Awesome, another reason to add to my existing mountain of reasons to hate Ctrl-Alt-Del.