Jack White and Jimmy Page Don't Like Guitar Hero

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I'm shit at guitar. Absolutely shit. I couldn't play the simplest Bob Dylan song without messing up horribly. And I've been practicing on/off for about 6 months.

In Rock Band, I could rock the solo in Train Kept A Rollin' in about 3 weeks.

Not everyone's got the commitment or the time to pick up an instrument and learn to play. And god knows only the smallest minority of those who do will get to the level of fame as White or Page.

I really don't see anything sad about it - people want to feel like a rock star. Everyone does; it's why White or Page picked up the damn guitar in the first place. Why should they be the only ones to have that kind of feeling?

blipblop

May 21, 2009
my brother is a great gitar player and plays guitar hero.
yes he´s played the guitar for many years and i think he can separate th one as a game and the other one as a instrument.

I like the white stripes but jack withe is nothing more than mediocre at he´s guitar techniques, he should not speak about the kids is´t going to be good enough

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Jimmy Page and Jack White are confused about what these games make people want to do. Two of my cousins want to play real instruments because of Rock Band. One has bought a real drum set and is looking for an electronic replacement due to noise. The other wants to play bass and will be starting soon.

Further, they had 0 respect or knowledge about 'old' music. Despite showing them it, playing it for them on guitar, and doing any number of things, they just didn't get in to it. At all. When they finally got their hands on 'playing' it on a plastic instrument. By playing it, I mean playing the actual song, they garnered a huge respect for the music that they didn't even know or care about before hand.

Page added that he can't imagine that people are really learning anything significant about playing instruments by playing video games.
It seems he hasn't really played one. Timing. They learn timing. The most crucial thing ever. Timing makes people laugh, cry, smile, get pumped, etc.

It teaches timing.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Huh. I thought The Hardest Button to Button was about Cult of Personality on Expert.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Abedeus said:
Like South Park already showed us:

If people had spent half the time playing a real instrument that they do playing the game, who knows what they would accomplish.

That's why the second I get some time and a good TV show to watch, I'm going back to playing the REAL guitar. Even if I suck.

Also, don't you need to spend hundreds of dollars on plastic guitars, anyway? And a console? Because I do believe that Xbox 360 + Guitar Hero + controller is more expensive than a nice guitar, either acoustic or electric.
You miss the point of the game.

You're playing music casually. Your average person that plays these games doesn't play above hard. They play video games for a distraction and music is one of the worlds biggest distractions. Combining video game with music creates a popular, and easily accessible distraction.

No, you don't spend 'hundreds of dollars' on a plastic guitar. It's $169.99 U.S. for everything. Mic, drums, guitar, and game. You could spend less on just the guitar and game if that's all you wanted.

Depending on what you want to do, each thing has a different cost. You could buy a crappy boxed guitar with one of those terrible 10-15w amps that sound like crap for $200. Or you could go out and buy a guitar that you'll play for many years along with an amp that doesn't sound tinny and useless for $500-750.

Then you're looking at buying all the needed accessories, strings, picks, cables. That'll get you up about $25-50 more depending on what you buy.

Then, if you want a basic distortion that sounds terrible you're looking at $25 plus batteries/power adapter and more cables.

Then you'll need to know how to set your guitar up, intonate it, know how to set the action, proper neck maintenance, stuffs like that. Or you could go bi-monthly to a luthier and spend $50 a visit to do it in case you're afraid to do it.

Then you might want lessons because you have no clue how to do anything. Depending on the person, they may look online for lessons or may pay monthly for them. Some might buy a book, a DVD, or any number of products.

Or... I could just buy a box with a guitar and game and not have to put up with the hassle because I don't really want to learn how to play an instrument, I just want to play a video game while mashing random colored buttons in time with my favorite songs.

Reg0

Dead Eye
Jun 15, 2009
tbh if anyone picks up a guitar hero guitar, plays a track, gets a kick out of it moreso than just listening to the song, then i dont see the problem

what i do see the problem with, is people who post their 100% clear of tracks on songs on youtube like they can actually play a guitar and get a little bit carried away

you gotta remember its a plastic guitar, just because you can play it well... doesnt mean you are a musician by any standards

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I hate jimmy page! Take that ****** off the stage!

Gotta love MSI's older shit. Anyway, yeah, despite that I totally agree with these guys. Never did quite understand it, and the amount of energy people put into guitar hero and rock band really just confuses me. But hey, to each his own, if they have fun pretending to play other peoples music then more power to em. I'd still much rather see this many people take the motivation and passion into writing their own music, though, and investing in real instruments.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Oh no! Someone I don't care about doesn't like something I enjoy doing! I shall now cry myself to sleep while cradling my wounded pride!

Honestly, who gives a damn? If you don't like something, you shut up and let everyone else have fun.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
First off, since when did it matter where you discovered certain types of music? Surely it's only a good thing that people are hearing music they otherwise wouldn't have come across through these games?
And secondly as Mr. White and Nickelback have already gotten cheques for their songs appearing in GH games their opinions are void.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
I'm not a music games fan either, I find them a bit stale, and honestly not too fun. But I also quite dislike Jack White, I think he's just another arrogant and stuck-up musician who has been constantly glorified by the music industry. Jimmy page? Well let's just say that he and John Paul Jones are THE ONLY reasons I ever listened to Zeppelin (I hate John Bonhem and Robert Plant), so I respect the guy.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
Malygris said:
And doesn't it all seem just a wee bit silly? I don't recall ever hearing Michael Schumacher exhorting gamers to strap themselves into real race cars or seeing a press release from Patrick Roy telling kids to put down the controllers and learn how to make a kick save. Yet many musicians behave as if they have to defend themselves and their craft from gamers who are treading on their turf.
Well a main point is that literally anyone can learn to play music. Not anyone can get a racecar or play sports. But ANYONE can play music. And if you see the way lots of little punkass kids act about guitar hero, thinking that because they can play that they are masters of real guitar, I understand the frustration. I've seen kids saying shit like "The guitar player for Iron Maiden really sucks, I 5 starred run to the hills on my first try, it's so easy!"
I share the detest for guitar hero, but I can't really explain why very well.

DonalM

Jun 23, 2009
How exactly does this draw away musicians? If you are actually passionate about music, wouldn't you want to pick up the real thing and play it? You have to be a complete idiot to think these games are an adequate substitute

I have little to no musical talent. I like these games because it lets me and my friends "play" our favorite songs. But we are under no illusions.

And when did Jimmy Page turn into the old guy telling kids to get off his lawn?