Japanese Analysts Speculate on Nintendo Crash

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
KDR_11k said:
The game that's "not selling" is a sequel to a game that worked primarily through deception (by pretending to be related Wii Sports but having a completely broken implementation) selling 2.5k on the first day. Even if we leave aside the "fool me twice shame on me" issue these are FIRST DAY SALES. They're meaningless, there's still about 364 other days for the game to sell on. If you want to point at other platforms keep in mind that the Wii market does not work like that, Wii game sales are not front loaded.
It has been enough to start worrying Nintendo, so the paranoids are them in this case, that and the fact that the PS3 started to outsold the wii recently in Japan.

"Setting new standards in gaming" and "shovelware" is not a dichtomy. By that approach about 99% of the software on all systems is shovelware, including all the big titles. Shovelware is stuff produced at the minimum level of effort to be put into a box and on shelves in the hope that people buy it by accident. Games like Wii Music and Wii Fit had tons of effort put into them. Just because it doesn't appeal to YOU doesn't mean it's shovelware.
Considering all the people that claim how the Wii is such a "revolution" in gaming and what not i still don't see said revolution. They captured a new market, that's it, they're not making anything groundbreaking. So, good that we can agree on that.

The core games, let's see... Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Strikers, Wario Land Shake Dimension, Exite Truck and Excite Bots, Punch-Out, Battalion Wars 2, Disaster, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Animal Crossing CF, Mario Sluggers, Mario Party 8, DK Barrel Blast
I guess i was thinking of another thing with "core", also, a bit of a shame that not a single game there, with the exception of Disaster, is a new IP.

The plan IS to make good games but good by different standards. To the people Wii Sports was aimed at something like Fallout 3 or Gears of War is a horrible game and Wii Sports is much, MUCH better than those because it's actually fun to them. That's what the whole Blue Ocean Strategy and making the competition irrelevant means, to many people who buy a Wii the other systems are not even worth considering because they do nothing these customers want. Of course Wii Fit wasn't so much designed to be fun but neither was Microsoft Office. Some software isn't meant for entertainment but for doing certain tasks and well, there's quite a demand for software that helps you lose weight.
Different standards? Also, when will these new good games will come? For a console that doesn't require a lot of tricky programming it seems that it's taking them a lot of time.

The fact that you compared Wii fit, a game, with something that is not suppose to be a game but actually a working tool, Microsoft Office, speaks volumes here as to what is going on with the Wii. Nintendo themselves are the first to point out that Wii fit must not be taken as a serious fitness tool.

Lios said:
The Wii itself is quite innovative, but the games they make for it are not. People need to start thinking of ways to make that motion-sensing an innovative godsend for action games. Don't forget that not all games released on the Wii are just made by Nintendo. Nintendo just sells the license. It's up to the devs to think of a way to make a brilliant action game that makes the wiimote seem... seem.... I hate when I forget an obvious word, someone help me out here?
The wii is really not innovative at all, it's a very glorified light gun device. Just in the same way hardly any games for the DS, with some exceptions, truly need the stylus and touch screen to be good games. That innovative "godsend" motion-sensing in the Wii still sounds hardly the way to go to play games that would require a lot of precise movement.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Hey! Maybe this is a good time for them to release a new console with better graphics and no stupid controllers!

Hey Nintendo, you should give me a job.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Considering most of their solid lineup depends completely on in-house games, and considering they refuse to take risks with them, this comes as no surprise to me.