Japanese Mag Claims PlayStation 3 Was the Best Platform in 2010

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
In Japan it was always PS3 vs Wii.
And Nintendo holds the sales, but the PS3 did have a good year in review.

I'm not big on console wars, but having a PS3, any news like this seems nice to me.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I have to say the Wii was the best. It showed the more innovation than the other consoles. Sure Motion Controls aren't the best now but they will become really great soon and the Wii was the gateway.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Xbox definately wins in terms of variety and quality of games I think.

But if you're comparing which system has the better games I think you need to look at the exclusives only (Even then the Wii is still rubbish.) PS3 does have some mighty fine exclusives I have to say...
I disagree. The best titles on the 360 are almost all shooters. Alan Wake was a nice break from that, but it bombed in sales. Quality I agree with you the 360 has great quality exclusives but it's variety is very lacking. Yet another Halo game, and yet another over hyped Fable title that showed no innovation.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Varanfan9 said:
I have to say the Wii was the best. It showed the more innovation than the other consoles. Sure Motion Controls aren't the best now but they will become really great soon and the Wii was the gateway.
Gotta disagree there. The Wii may have motion controls but there are next to no games that use them in a non-gimmicky fashion. Hell, Nintendo's flagship franchises don't even use the motion controls. If anything the Wii has shown the least innovation in 2010. I have to hand it to the Kinect on having the best motion control option. And that's coming from a PS3 guy.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
DevilWolf47 said:
Proverbial Jon said:

But if you're comparing which system has the better games I think you need to look at the exclusives only (Even then the Wii is still rubbish.) PS3 does have some mighty fine exclusives I have to say...

...wait... you're joking, right? Variety? Quality? I really have to struggle to come up with a 360 exclusive title that wasn't mindnumbingly stupid, an XBLA game that i can't play anyway, or another shooter. Mind you neither standard console has that large of an exclusive library if you don't count the PSN and XBLA games, and the Wii games are almost all good games or massive fucking failures. I say that so far we just haven't seen enough from any console to call a winner.
Well there is:

Alan Wake - I know it had some issues but overall it was a quality game
Mass Effect 2 - Although no longer exclusive to the Xbox it WAS in 2010
Halo Reach - Despite what people said, was Bungie's best Halo game

But I guess they're my personal choices, games I feel it's worth owning an Xbox for... or at least my justification for still having an Xbox :p

But I guess you're right, we haven't seen enough of either console yet. The PS3 is definately the stronger console in terms of service and technology so I'm thinking it has the most potential to blow the Xbox out of the water with games this year.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
DevilWolf47 said:
Proverbial Jon said:

...wait... you're joking, right? Variety? Quality? I really have to struggle to come up with a 360 exclusive title that wasn't mindnumbingly stupid, an XBLA game that i can't play anyway, or another shooter. Mind you neither standard console has that large of an exclusive library if you don't count the PSN and XBLA games, and the Wii games are almost all good games or massive fucking failures. I say that so far we just haven't seen enough from any console to call a winner.
Well there is:

Alan Wake - I know it had some issues but overall it was a quality game
Mass Effect 2 - Although no longer exclusive to the Xbox it WAS in 2010
Halo Reach - Despite what people said, was Bungie's best Halo game

But I guess they're my personal choices, games I feel it's worth owning an Xbox for... or at least my justification for still having an Xbox :p

But I guess you're right, we haven't seen enough of either console yet. The PS3 is definately the stronger console in terms of service and technology so I'm thinking it has the most potential to blow the Xbox out of the water with games this year.

This might come off as hypocritical, but i'm absolutely with you as far as Halo Reach is concerned. I love that it catered to players like myself who preferred precision based shooting in a way not honored since Combat Evolved. But it's still HALO, not much variety. Plus considering it's predecessor Halo 3 and the ODST expansion, calling it "Best of Halo" isn't really high praise. The Brutes always were just one stupid fucking joke of an enemy. Plus i can't really choose Halo over the PS3 exclusive Resistance: Fall of Man because i haven't played Resistance: Fall of Man.
...nor will i anytime soon. I'm planning to get a PS3 for inFamous and The Last Guardian.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
I don't see how my opinion based on releases we saw in the US has much in the way of relevant comparison to a market flooded with alot of japan only releases.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Tim Latshaw said:
I wonder how many of the games counted actually made it outside of Japan.
The good ones did (or are on their way to), if that's what you're asking.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
ToonLink said:
WHAT?!?!

A Japanese system wins Best Platform by a Japanese Magazine?!?

I am shocked and appalled!
Err, you do realise that Nintendo is a Japanese company, right? And that the Wii was ranked last? The Wii is made by Nintendo, in case you didn't catch that connection either.

I really don't think the article is as biased as you seem to think.

Oct 14, 2010
boholikeu said:
Tim Latshaw said:
I wonder how many of the games counted actually made it outside of Japan.
The good ones did (or are on their way to), if that's what you're asking.
I'm more wondering if the percentages here are reflective of the percentages in the rest of the world.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Andronicus said:
ToonLink said:
WHAT?!?!

Err, you do realise that Nintendo is a Japanese company, right? And that the Wii was ranked last? The Wii is made by Nintendo, in case you didn't catch that connection either.

NINTENDO IS A JAPANESE COMPANY!?!?! WHAAAAT? Since when?! How long have you been withholding this information?!?!

You obviously dont recognize sarcasm when you hear it. I had one of the first Nintendos and still play it to this day. Since we're throwing out facts, did you know that Nintendo started off as a playing card company? And that they once had a deal in place to make a CD addon for the Super Nintendo that would later become the Playstation?

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Many people will argue "No, it's Xbox that is better. Japan is just biased". Well then let me ask you, which countries/websites give the highest ratings to the Xbox and it's games? North America, also known as the home of the Xbox360. Plus I've heard before, 90% of statistics are BullShit (If you don't get that joke, then your counter statement is invalid). I've met 'NUMEROUS' gamers over the last couple years, and the majority own a PS3 or prefer to game on a PC. The fact of the matter is, NOBODY would play Xbox360 if it wasn't for Microsoft buying all the Xbox Exclusive titles like Halo (Because even looking at the BlackOps map, you can see that only North America is lit up like a freaking Xmas tree 24/7). To me it just shouts "HEY! We're North America and the only games we will rush out to buy en'mass are Shooting games. (If you doubt my shooting game theory, refer to 'Bulletstorm','Crysis 2','Killzone3','DukeNukem Forever','Homefront', and any other games that are coming out this year. Or 'BlackOps','Red Dead Redemption','ModernWarfare2','Bad Company 2','Halo:Reach', 'ME:2',and the other 100+ shooters released in previous years that all ended up as being the most popular).

Just ask yourself honestly (This only applies to people who own or have played both, cause they will have the least bias), if it wasn't for the Xbox360 exclusive games...would you honestly have bought a system where you PAY for online gameplay that PS3 or PC offers for free? (I personally only bought my Xbox so I could play Mass Effect 1...now I have ME2 for PS3 and ME3 is on the way).

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
ToonLink said:
Andronicus said:
ToonLink said:
WHAT?!?!

You obviously dont recognize sarcasm when you hear it.
Actaully, it was quite obviously sarcasm; you were making fun of the fact that a Japanese magazine awarded best platform to a Japanese console, alluding to some kind of bias for Japanese hardware. It just appeared to me that you failed to take into account the fact that another Japanese console was placed last, so I just thought your "sarcasm" was unfounded and irrelevant.

If you meant something else entirely, then I sincerely apologise. However, if this is the case, then you're, like, totally the smartest guy ever and should definitely use sarcasm in all your posts from now on, because they're so obvious and funny.

That last part was sarcasm, by the way.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
SteewpidZombie said:
Just ask yourself honestly (This only applies to people who own or have played both, cause they will have the least bias), if it wasn't for the Xbox360 exclusive games...would you honestly have bought a system where you PAY for online gameplay that PS3 or PC offers for free? (I personally only bought my Xbox so I could play Mass Effect 1...now I have ME2 for PS3 and ME3 is on the way).
Having tried both, I do have to say I think Xbox Live does offer a better service in general. Plus I remember reading on here recently about the Katherine demo getting pulled from the Japanese PSN because of some crazy bandwith costs the dev or pub has to pay Sony. Yeah, if a "free" service means limited content then I'd rather pay the 75 euro cents a week and go with XBL. Plus with the amount of stuff I buy with gold discounts it really does pay for itself over the year.

Honestly the Xbox Live Arcade selection is the real deal breaker. Castlevania HD alone has lasted me much longer than most other games, then throw in other gems like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, DeathSpank, Trials HD, and Limbo to name a few.

What has the PSN got? 5% Mediocrity and 95% Nostalgia. If the shining reason for owning a modern gen console is to play games like FF7 they released 15 years ago then something's VERY messed up.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Andronicus said:
Actaully, it was quite obviously sarcasm; you were making fun of the fact that a Japanese magazine awarded best platform to a Japanese console, alluding to some kind of bias for Japanese hardware. It just appeared to me that you failed to take into account the fact that another Japanese console was placed last, so I just thought your "sarcasm" was unfounded and irrelevant.

If you meant something else entirely, then I sincerely apologise. However, if this is the case, then you're, like, totally the smartest guy ever and should definitely use sarcasm in all your posts from now on, because they're so obvious and funny.

That last part was sarcasm, by the way.
Oh come on, you're being needlessly unfair. Out of the 3 consoles it's pretty obvious the Wii is spiraling to 3rd place. The argument here is out of the 2 consoles which have a realistic potential to hit 1st place they placed an unfair bias and bonus to the Sony machine.

Broken Dreamer

Jul 7, 2010
Perhaps cultural bias exists in choice. Not because the Japanese believe a Japanese thing to be best, and they are wrong, but it is best, for them, and there fore they are right?

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
It might just be personal PS3 bias that causes me to notice that most people's argument is "Japan hates Microsoft" which may be true, but if they were THAT biased wouldn't it be:
1.) PS3
2.) Wii
3.) 360
?

Because Nintendo is still technically a Japanese country, so I'd say that they were being at least a LITTLE more objective than you're accusing them of.

Then again I've always considered PS3 to be better than the 360 by sheer virtue of disc space, I'm still waiting for developers to realize that the PS3 version of a multi-platform game has a TON of extra space that is just not used.

If they'd actually used the full potential of the hardware and disc space the 360 would only be able to compete through exclusives, which are becoming a rarity.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Since this is a console debate, I'm just gonna say that PS3 and 360 can duke it out all they want because they are still only fighting for second place. :p

That said, I am a PC gamer and I call the shots on console wars like I see em.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sorry, have to say it, no mention of the PC?
It appears to me that a lot of places don't consider the PC to be part of the console wars, or even part of the wars at all.
Such a thing is shameful given that PC's can/have/will give us some of the best gaming has ever offered.
You can't count a PC in the console wars because PC's aren't standard. Every PS3 and 360 is made to factory specs and dumped on the market, whereas a PC has too many variables, one PC may be GODLIKE with all the top-of-the-line hardware, while another may be obsolete garbage.

So PC always CAN be better than a console to the point it doesn't compare, but not all PC's ARE better than consoles. So you really can't compare the two. It's like comparing a red apple (PS3) to a green apple (XBox) to an orange (PC), the orange may be better, but it's disqualified for not being an apple. (Note: the Wii wasn't there on purpose, it's not a game system, it's a toy for old people and children.)