Japanese Nier Hero was "Too Girly" for Americans

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Dark Templar said:
Maybe FANTASY games aren't for you XD
And what about a sword being of average size, but chopping through a huge ass monster like nothing? That not fantasy?

Actually, while we are at it, arn't all games fantasy?
-_^

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
I find it quite hilarious that the team would lose heart if they didn't make a skinny, waiflike, feminine hero.

But it's really two sides of the same coin: The Squeenix side, with longhaired pretty boys, and the Epic Games side, with men with biceps large than their heads and testosterone-powered chainsaws. It's why I appreciate, say, Bethesda: characters in their games are reasonably proportioned and don't look anorexic or 'roided up.
They're still ugly as all hell though. Ah well.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
The design team would have "lost heart" if the nancy-boy character was removed? What the hell is wrong with them? It's not like fighting works any different in Japan - big and strong wins fights. If they insist on idolizing little girly-boys, that's up to them - but why in the world would they make them the lead characters in combat games?

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
DarkHourPrince said:
I've never played Nier, but I do like the sound of a father/son viewpoint. If it comes form japan,y ou almost expect the main hero to be "girlier" escpecially after years of Final Fantasy.
Not only from the success of final fantasy, the 'girlier' sort of men heroes are actually a part of larger cast called 'Bishonen'. They are very popular, in part due to a LOT of manga, anime, and games using it for a basis on the main hero.I think it is easier for people to sometimes relate to a seemingly weaker hero that rises up over the odds. Also, it might make it easier for some female gamers to get into it to.

AndreyC

Mar 18, 2010
That's cultural, really. Japanese standards of beauty are different from western standards of beauty. If you look for Japanese idols that all japanese women love, you'll see they all have very delicate traces and are very androgynous. See: L'arc~en~ciel's Hyde, TVXQ's Hero, Gackt, Miyavi etc. Also, japanese women tend to like the "sensitive guy" more than the "tough guy", that's what's mainstream there since... well, ever. In the US, that's considered gay. In Japan, that's considered cute, and even sexy.

When it comes to western idols/heroes, they're mostly tough, musculous and "macho". The western difinition of "manly" involves being insensitive (or at least to not demonstrate your feelings too much), drinking beer, watching football, having short temper and being less than rational. If, say, this Nier hero is the extreme stereotypical japanese hero (at least from the looks of it), I'd say Marcus Fenix is the stereotypical western hero.

Anyway, times are changing. The androgynous "cute" kind of guy is already getting a lot of attention for western audiences, at least women (look at Justin Bieber, for example). If you look at the infamous "Twilight" series, you'll see the two stereotypes face each other and divide the fangirls. Half of them like the "werewolfs" (representation of the "macho" kind of character), and the other half like the "vampires" (representation of the more delicate, sensitive, less impulsive and more rational kind of character). Of course, what western men will say to those tendencies is "that's gay" (I admit I do that sometimes when my girlfriend admires androgynous characters/actors). It's easy to deny the situation like this, but fact is they'll still have women at their feet without being as "manly" as you.

About Nier: I'd like to play the original version, as I'm totally against ANY kind of localization/adaptation. I try not to let my culture interfere with what I watch/read/play, I ALWAYS try to be a global person, to have a better understanding of the world rather than being biased because nof the place/culture I was born in.

Aug 25, 2009
Lots of people saying that they feel insulted when they're told they couldn't handle the hero unless he was an overmasculine wanker but what other impression is supposed to be taken from looking at our game market? It was either that or making him Batman.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
They'll "lose heart" without the girly character.
Lose heart...like they HAVE to make beautiful and androngenous male characters.

NickCaligo42 said:
I can't help but feel that this was an incredibly patronizing and insulting turn.

BlueHighwind said:
So in the world of gaming today I can either play as a gritty ugly behemoth of a man drowning in violence and misery, or I could play as a bitter androgynous teenager. Is it too much to ask for some kind of third option?
Yes, that too. What the hell, Square? I hate both of these stereotypes.
Well said the both of you.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I like the teen version better. Then again, it wouldn't be horrible to have a choice between the two.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I think that I would actually prefer the girly version.Because he seems to know how to dress properly.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
The irony is that if you have ever heard of SEVEN SAMURAI, an film by the legendary Akira Kurosawa, you will notice that the seven are played by a bunch of macho manly men

I don't mind effeminate. I prefer the Ricky Martin kind over the "blow air at him and he'll fall over kind"

Look at Brad Pitt, pretty boy but still macho.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Rect Pola said:
It wouldn't be the FIRST time they've acted like a bunch of big children, that's for certain. "Making towns would've been too hard!" Meanwhile Ubisoft goes and makes ALL OF FLORENCE and Bioware releases two entire Mass Effect games in the time it takes them to make FF13, whose environments are BARELY above Playstation 2 quality--all because they couldn't be bothered to learn a better development pipeline like the rest of the gaming world. Square needs to quit whining to the world about their games, act like adults, and do their fucking jobs.

Cod of War said:
The irony is that if you have ever heard of SEVEN SAMURAI, an film by the legendary Akira Kurosawa, you will notice that the seven are played by a bunch of macho manly men

I don't mind effeminate. I prefer the Ricky Martin kind over the "blow air at him and he'll fall over kind"

Look at Brad Pitt, pretty boy but still macho.
Dunno about Ricky Martin, but yeah, Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Junior, those guys are both kick-ass actors in addition to being a little bit on the pretty side. It aint like we're short on middle ground here!

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Rect Pola said:
It wouldn't be the FIRST time they've acted like a bunch of big children, that's for certain. "Making towns would've been too hard!" Meanwhile Ubisoft goes and makes ALL OF FLORENCE and Bioware releases two entire Mass Effect games in the time it takes them to make FF13, whose environments are BARELY above Playstation 2 quality--all because they couldn't be bothered to learn a better development pipeline like the rest of the gaming world. Square needs to quit whining to the world about their games, act like adults, and do their fucking jobs.
Quoted for truth. If Hitman 5 ever comes out, 47 will be replaced by a long haired pansy

EDIT:
The developers would have lost heart if not for the pansy character? WOW?
WAAH! WAAH! WAAH! That's all I hear. For shame!

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I'd just like a choice between characters. If I can't have "reasonable-normal-looking-guy-who-isn't-stupid" (Did I just describe Batman?), at least don't FORCE me into either "teenage-girl-who-happens-to-have-a-penis" or "extra-from-Cho-Aniki."

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
At least the burly Nier fit the setting and environment. An ugly, tough old man forged from a harsh life of hunting and fetch quests actually makes sense as opposed to a pretty boy pussy.

RanD00M said:
I think that I would actually prefer the girly version.Because he seems to know how to dress properly.
I wouldn't call anything Square puts their characters in "dressing properly." Just think about Vaan from FFXII for a second.

qaztim

Feb 17, 2010
WafflesToo said:
There does seem to be a definate divergence between Japanese and American tastes that can be summed up in one quote taken from a man who was shown Gears of War.

"Why would I want to play as the bad guy".

To us, Fenix looks ridiculous, to them he looks villainous.

PS I hate the nancy-girl emo fucktard direction they took things in after FFVI. Gimme Setzer, Locke, Edgar, and Cyan back! You know, actual functional human beings!
Bring Terra and Firion back too

OT: It seems that squares decision to have the MANLY-MAN version would be because most if not all of american game heroes are old shallow veteran war heroes that have no depth and they thought it would sell better.
I think we need more characters like the ones in Silent Hill(Before american devs made it suck)
I would go with the Girly version of the game it just appeals more to me

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
Yokai said:
I find it quite hilarious that the team would lose heart if they didn't make a skinny, waiflike, feminine hero.

But it's really two sides of the same coin: The Squeenix side, with longhaired pretty boys, and the Epic Games side, with men with biceps large than their heads and testosterone-powered chainsaws. It's why I appreciate, say, Bethesda: characters in their games are reasonably proportioned and don't look anorexic or 'roided up.
They're still ugly as all hell though. Ah well.
I kind of find the uglyness in Bethesda's character models kind of refreshing myself. More 'real' less 'beer commercial'.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
I hope to god they never make a remake of Final Fantasy 6.
All the cool looking characters will be ruined.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Both are pretty extreme either ugly, old and uber-macho or skinny, young, pretty/girly boy. I prefer the skinny one myself don't really know why ("it must be becuz your TEH GAY!!!11").

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
WafflesToo said:
I kind of find the uglyness in Bethesda's character models kind of refreshing myself. More 'real' less 'beer commercial'.
What is it with people wanting realistic FANTASY heroes?