Jimquisition: BOYCOTT!

TheyTookOurJobs

Dec 22, 2009
I
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Christ, is Jim finally getting rid of that stupid "I'm an arrogant asshole, but only at the beginning and the end of the episode" thing? Because it wasn't helping the show at all.
I'm almost certain he will continue with it next week.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's hard enough to organize a boycott around something that actually matters: human rights, civil rights, corruption, etc - there are many boycotts of companies, governments and groups going on right now, and most people don't even bat an eyelid.

So what chance in hell do Video game boycotts have? I'm sorry, as much as I love video games, I am mature enough to recognize that the world is far bigger than games. I play video games all the time - 30 or so hours a week. But I recognize that at the end of the day, it's just entertainment.

I don't like some corporate practices - like on-line DRM, pre-order bonuses, etc, but I honestly can't bring myself to rage at EA as if it were some sort of horrible demon from the abyss of evil!

So that's why video game boycotts won't work: because it's just NOT that emotional an issue. Hell, if you can't get people to boycott a company that poisoned the ocean by releasing millions of gallons of crude oil and killed 13 of its own workers due to sheer cost-cutting and incompetence (you know which company I'm talking about), how on earth are you going to get them to boycott a VIDEO GAME publisher?

dicksmcerson

Sep 6, 2008
TheyTookOurJobs said:
I
Christ, is Jim finally getting rid of that stupid "I'm an arrogant asshole, but only at the beginning and the end of the episode" thing? Because it wasn't helping the show at all.
If he does, I'll boycott the show.

Mar 30, 2010
Absolutlely spot on with this episode. There are too many gamers out there who overreact to changes in popular series, and this excess has led to a lot of others who immediately dismiss legitimate complaints as fanboy-isms. Well called.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
I honestly thought he was going to talk about people choosing sides and yelling for a Boycott of the Escapist for the leave of Extra Credits. Well I thank God of Jim to prove me wrong and bring me something good this monday. Awesome.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
I've been a member of WWE Smackdown video game boards for years, and I bet you everyone who says "it's just the same old ****" ends up buying it anyway due to lack of competition. They cling to 10 year old models like No Mercy as some holy grail, and if it doesn't have "branching text based stories," or "proper physics," they just pan the new game weeks before release. Yes, THQ lies all the time, but I've never felt the games denied me enough enjoyment. I play it 200+ days a year, so it's not something I can just throw in the towel. That is unless they bring back female weapon restrictions from a few years ago...that was the worst decision ever.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
dicksmcerson said:
TheyTookOurJobs said:
I
If he does, I'll boycott the show.
And by boycott, you mean not watch it until it's been up for maybe, an hour? :D

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
That handful of gamers yelling boycott and actually going through with it (unlike most), never make any difference.
There can be no boycott if it isn't organized.

More importantly, for most of us there can be multiple reasons not to buy game X. I cannot say for example I boycotted Spore for use of intrusive DRM, because I never had any interest in that crappy game in the first place.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
TheyTookOurJobs said:
Has anyone made a joke about boycotting the Jimquisition yet? I hope not.
There's been some (translation: a lot). And guess what? None of them have accomplished anything either ;)

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I am NOT buying Diablo 3 nor any of Starcraft 2 parts 1/2/3 due to Blizzard's (and Activision's) poor business practices. I am not paying full price for a third of a game, I am not buying a single-player experience that requires me to always be online just so they can be secure in digital rights that fuck the consumer. And I certainly am not going to be a gold farmer for Blizzard and pay them more for nonexistant bling.

I call it a boycott, but others my disagree. In any case, Blizzard games are on my do not buy list.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Thank you Jim. Thank you. I am so sick of every one wanting to Boycott over the most stupid shit. None of it is for good reason.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I agree on nearly all points ( the L4D2 boycott was one of the justified ones at the time)

Many gamers jump to boycott so often that the industry doesn't take it seriously anymore. And that's a big problem.

I am so sick of every one wanting to Boycott over the most stupid shit. None of it is for good reason.
Did you watch the show? He made an appeal to people who say this kind of thing. That some boycotts are needed and should not be quick to be dismissed.

Jan 27, 2011
*applause*

Well said. If someone doesn't like something, they can choose not to get it, but they shouldn't scream boycott over everything, especially if they're just gonna turn around and get it anyway.

Mildly-partially-maybe-related-to-topic:
Oh, and BTW. The physics of Sonic 4 WERE borked. Specifically the spindash physics (I didn't mind the floaty jumps. The spindash was the big problem for me). I have an ingrained habit of tapping down when going down a hill or a loop in 2D sonic, because in all the old games, it makes you go in to a ball and accelerate.

In sonic 4, curling into a ball when going down a hill SLOWED YOU DOWN. Not nly does this not make sense, but it contradicts a very important instinct I have learned over YEARS of playing sonic 3 and Knuckles (even doing a speedrun for a contest).

...that said, I still liked Sonic 4. I have no plans to boycott Episode 2. Even if they don't fix those stupid spindash physics (although Sonic Generations did it right in the demo. I was happy about that)

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Plazmatic said:
Im sorry, but Jim was wrong on the Left 4 Dead protest, the problem wasn't simply that it was released one year after, it was that it was practically the same game, and that anything else that was added could have been added as an update, and things that weren't fixed in the origional left 4 dead still have not been fixed to this day, were added when left 4 dead 2 came out. and that's just the tip of the iceberg, and if you look, it actually worked, the studio that made the game got kicked out AND they didn't make another game for valve afterwards.
I like your arguement, except the parts where you're wrong.

Left 4 Dead 2 wasn't the same as L4D. Saying so is like complaining about any sequel being the same as the game its based off of. Thats kinda the point of sequels. A lot of the changes done to L4D2 were under the hood. They changed how the Director worked, modified the engine to allow for different features (branching pathes, new melee system, modifiers and deviations from the standard L4D weapon/health system, enhanced matchmaking features), etc. You could argue they could do that in a single update, but I'd then have to ask you why you're being so self entitled. They made a lot of updates in L4D2, people are just bitching because it used the same engine. Its literally the same arguement ignorant people use to complain about Pokemon. "They're all the same" - if you don't know what you're talking about. "They don't add any significant features with each iteration" - if you've never bothered to pick up a copy of the game.

Last time I checked, the Studio that made L4D is STILL creating content, and tweaking content for both games. The original doesn't see as much traffic anymore - its how Halo 3 is to Halo Reach.

Also, the point of the boycott was to tell Valve this would not pass as a fully priced retail game. If you look at the facts and the sales chart, it sold well. And even the creator of the biggest boycott against Valve visited their HQ, played the game, and said "this was actually pretty good". The L4D boycott was an embarassment.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
DJDarque said:
My god. I haven't watched Jim since the first two episodes and dismissed his show as shit. Something about this one caught my eye and I actually decided to watch it. I'm surprised. This episode actually seems sincere, and I actually agree with him. I may have to give you another chance Jim.
My thoughts exactly, perhaps in the past I've been put off by the intro portion that got paraphrased in this episode.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat in the Apathy camp here, but I think that's because of the nature of the entertainment industry versus, say, the retail industry. It's very easy to boycott, say, Walmart when you can go to a different store to do all the shopping you would have done there, but each video game is unique, and even if other games are in the same genre you can't call them the same. If I want to boycott a video game (or a video game company), it means that I definitively cannot obtain the game they're making, I can't just shop for it somewhere else.

So someone would have to make a damn good argument if I were to boycott the release of a game I wanted.