Jimquisition: Free To Wait

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
The moment I read your review on Loadout I knew this was going to be the topic for the week and I cant agree more.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Oh silly, silly Jim. The real reason why you're not having any fun with this game is that you're not play... hrm... you're not playing... heeeegggg... you're not playing it the right wa-

(smiles)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
People whine about Team Fortress 2 and Flappy Bird when one can be played with spending no cash, allowing you to find or trade any of the guns you want (I know because I've done it- and the other, Flappy Bird was free that was ad supported.
No reason to be mad at either- well unless you bought TF2 the day before it went free I guess, but Dungeon Keeper and all this shit? I have no idea how they're around still. I don't know who's the worst here, the dev, the store allowing it to be sold, or the people supporting it.

Mind boggling.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
[/quote]You don't HAVE to play it.[/quote]

Thats what i ment. There are so many games out there, let EA run this game with this scheme against the wall, who cares? Sure, it's sad to see a great game remade to shit.
When you are mad about the new game, do what i do when i get mad about the shitty Lord of the rings movies:
Ignore them and read the books again. Remind yourself of the good original.
So, buy the original Dungeon Keeper, play it and feel like a kid again.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Since when has something the Games Industry done NOT disgusting? Though yeah, I think Extra Credits talked about this; waiting for something to restore (unless you paid actual money for it) made sense on Facebook because it was assumed that you would have other things to do on Facebook to pass the time. Not so with every other game made NOT on Facebook since.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
So the message is "fuck you if you worked on a bad F2P game"

Next week on Jimquisition, the gaming public is chastised for saying mean things to a developer.

Jim Sterling, Who You Crappin?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
What really scares me is what might come next. Say they decide to make a bigger Mass Effect transmedia push. They want the ME universe on phones and tablets in a bigger way. Guess what?

"Here comes Mass Effect: Corsair! Pilot your own ship during the events leading up to the Reaper War! Crush your opponents, expand your fleet! Earn your spot as a named War Asset in our new re-edition of Mass Effect 3!"

Then, we learn that everything takes anywhere between a second or two to an entire day to complete. Want to upgrade your ship and crew? Minerals are required. You can mine for minerals, but why spend so much time collecting a few dozen Eezo points at a time when you can snag yourself five hundred thousand points for JUST 69.99!

If they reach that point, they'll burn themselves. There's no freaking way in Hell the Mass Effect fanbase will let that slide.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Thank you, Mr. Sterling. I was hoping you'd throw some well-deserved hatred at this topic this week. That was some quality, enjoyable bile.

I'm not one who usually enjoys shitting on someone specific like this, but this whole Dungeon Keeper fiasco has left me really fucking insulted that someone like EA would stoop to these blatant, despicable levels to milk cash out of the gaming community. Dungeon Keeper mobile is appalling, and there cannot be enough hatred thrown at everyone involved in it's creation.

Beetlebum said:
On the brighter side, it has given us one of the most accurate image ever:
The irony is palpable.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
I dunno, Jim. Phoenix Wright is a game as Tapped Out is a game. Sure, the reason Tapped Out uses the FreeToWait model is because it's based on the Simpsons television show and because of that the "game" fits the show. The way the "game" works is by having each Springfield citizen animate differently for a designated amount of time. True it's not very much. Okay, it really does suck. However I like it: I like the animations, the dialogue, the pixels...etc. So, I think it can be salvaged. Just add a game to it and you're done.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Damn good video Jim, I concur on every single point. I will never touch a game of this shitty merit and hopefully no one else on this forum (and hopefully the rest of the world) will either.

Time to run shit devs like these into the ground.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wow, I don't think I've seen Jim so pissed off. He's right though, this practice is utter shite and should die in a fire along with every developer/publisher that utilizes it.

CarbonJames

Feb 10, 2014
canadamus_prime said:
Wow, I don't think I've seen Jim so pissed off. He's right though, this practice is utter shite and should die in a fire along with every developer/publisher that utilizes it.
You sound pretty enraged about it. I would appreciate your critique of how AirMech fits what you describe. AirMech Prime for $20 lets you buy the game. The free part lets you try it out. This is a good thing for gamers...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
CarbonJames said:
canadamus_prime said:
You sound pretty enraged about it. I would appreciate your critique of how AirMech fits what you describe. AirMech Prime for $20 lets you buy the game. The free part lets you try it out. This is a good thing for gamers...
I haven't played that one. Although I have played a couple of games on Kongregate that use that business model. Although calling them games is being more than a tad generous since there is absolutely no gameplay whatsoever. This one called Time World is the worst. While technically you don't have to pay anything, all you do is sit on your ass and do nothing while you wait for your buildings to upgrade or your ships to be built or some other damn thing. And even when you get into the story the battles consist of sitting there watching ships shoot at each other with 0 involvement on your part. And of course you have the option to pay real world money to recruit additional heroes and presumably speed up building/research times and whatever. Ugh!

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
That righteous rage at the end was marvelous.

I'm so sick and tired of this AAA bullcrap. I really, REALLY hope it ends up blowing up in their faces one day.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Imperator_DK said:
...well, I'd think it the responsibility of adults to choose whether or not to play games which are mostly about how well you can remember your credit card number. I'll pass, but if others are up for it, fine by me.

And really now, who's to say that buying a magical sword with $5 of real money you earned on the job is any less meaningful than obtaining a magical sword you earned by using 3 hours of grind to kill 10,000 digital orcs beforehand?

Entertainment is pretty subjective, and if someone derive pleasure from owning a vast digital dungeon by virtue of spending $250 on it, that's pretty much their business. Certainly people have spent far greater amounts on things which are objectively equally worthless.
I noticed you and a couple of other people invoking people's right to free choice here, and that's fair enough. No-one wants to stamp on anyone's freedom. But I would say there's a grey area here.

You have, on one hand, a guy randomly scanning the app store on the way to work with his mind on auto-pilot. On the other hand, you have a company which has paid lots of money to people with expensive degrees who have refined psychological manipulation into a science. (Seriously, if you research it, these companies put an insane amount of effort into understanding and utilising people's subconscious triggers.) And let's not forget the company also has brazenly falsified user reviews on their side. Free choice can be corrupted, is what I'm saying.

Now, a GENUINE free choice scenario would be that you look up the game on the app store and in the details it shows you a burgeoning, full-sized dungeon and tells you that you can have it for either $300 or 18 months, or any combination of the two. If someone makes that choice, eyes open, then I agree with you 100%. But EA knows that's not a realistic business model so they manipulate, and free choice is tarnished.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
geier said:
Well Jim what is so bad in this game type?
It's only going to affect idiots who pay, not you, me or any other sane person.

This would be the right time for a indy studio to create a "cell supervisor, vault guard, torture chamber steward, oubliette superintendent" game. The gamplay consists of little magical beings (gremlins, urchins, devilings) that maintain said structure underground and are guided by a supernatural entity. Switch the chicken for little piglets and we are set.

It's a free market Jim. With the outcry created by EA this game gets much free publicity. Don't get to upset about idiots and their games, you will live longer.

Simply put, hes probably invested in the Dungeon Keeper franchise. And second this is a cancer, they are getting away with it. Theres other things about this game that are HIGHLY UNETHICAL, like when poorly reviewing them game, on the ios store it navigates you away so its harder to finish the reivew!

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
geier said:
Well Jim what is so bad in this game type?
It's only going to affect idiots who pay, not you, me or any other sane person.

This would be the right time for a indy studio to create a "cell supervisor, vault guard, torture chamber steward, oubliette superintendent" game. The gamplay consists of little magical beings (gremlins, urchins, devilings) that maintain said structure underground and are guided by a supernatural entity. Switch the chicken for little piglets and we are set.

It's a free market Jim. With the outcry created by EA this game gets much free publicity. Don't get to upset about idiots and their games, you will live longer.
Were that we lived in a world of infinite resources that would be true. But alas this is not so, and when this pay to win scenario bubble bursts, as people like Jim keep telling it will, it will hurt the entire industry. If you see a person standing next to you using 100 tons of TNT as bonfire, will you just say: "oh well, that wont affect me"?

Also money siphoned out of our misguided gamer brothers/sisters will not only bloat the bubble to come, but will also mean less money on games you too would probably like to see succeeding. Also free publicity really only can be good so far, I don't think that EA likes the "free publicity" of having been voted worst company in america for example.

Snacuum

Nov 10, 2013
Lets not forget guys that the whole reason we use the friendly and catchy term of "Free to Play" is because it's a contraction from an ambiguous detractor; as in: "Free to play... but this bit costs X"

There are lots of totally free games that are of course 'free to play' and in fact most games we buy ahead of time are in a way 'free to play' once bought. But we don't call them that because there's no reason to praise how 'free' they are. The no. 1 thing publishers want you to know about these F2P games is that's you can play them now! No, Money Down!

The only F2P game I've enjoyed is Hawken and I'm still upset that it's F2P when I originally thought it was a traditional purchase. The grim matter of it is that every single F2P game is designed to compromise gameplay in ways to encourage spending. In my opinion they are little more than Gambling Machines; made to suck as much money from anybody they manage to addict.

We need to keep buying the game and playing the game separate. Traditionally gamers never paid to play games (except like arcade games, and although I despise that too, it's a bit more like renting the system for x minutes) but instead we paid to get into the position to play.
If the big issue is getting more accessible free games into the hands of players before they're convinced to spend then I'm all for more demos and game trials. Trials is the best option to me because it gets the proper experience in the hands of players ASAP and then with the same fun and addictive gameplay the players are convinced to purchase the game.

Also I don't mind the rage at developers like this. This is the 21st Century and if we want to advance as a society we can't let the fact that people need money become an excuse for unethical business practice. I see it the same way as Japanese Whalers: the workers on the boat are probably just experienced fishermen that work their job, but they're still the ones firing harpoons into defenceless animals, fully aware that it's unsustainable and wrong.

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
One of the few times I will say caveat emporium. If you are willing to pay money so you don't have to wait then you deserve the crappy game you are playing.