Jimquisition: How Sony Can Make it Up To You

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Wargamer said:
Loading Ready Run / Unskippable do not behave in a manner that is overtly sexist and derogatory toward women ("solving" the sexism problem). Alternatively, consult his Fat Princess 'review' found elsewhere.
There's genuine, endemic social sexism, and then there's Jim Sterling. These two things are about as equivalent as a real motorway pileup and a toddler banging Mattel cars together.

2) Loading Ready Run / Unskippable don't call us elitist cunts behind our backs if we don't like their show.
As opposed to, say, Yahtzee, who is consistently and impeccably polite to all denizens of the earth.

3) Loading Ready Run / Unskippable have decent production standards.
Unskippable is a couple of guys VOing game cutscenes. Production standards don't even enter into the equation.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I read a lot of people talking about the firmware updates, but Jim's not saying anything that hasn't already been said 1000 times before. I just don't find anything he says to be that interesting or enlightening. At least with Unskippable I'm exposed to a game that I might not've seen/played before, and watching Yahtzee is at least entertaining and humorous even if you don't agree with him. But there's just something about Jim Sterling that immediately turns me away. I don't know if he portrays the "pompous asshole" stereotype sometimes associated with gamers, or that he reminds me of my old band director (who can go fuck himself) but when I see the guy I immediately don't like him or give a rip about what he has to say.

But I watched anyway, so on some subconscious level he must be doing something right.

However, when he brought up Medieval, I immediately began searching around my house and sent my brother a "fuck you" text when I remember he has the games with him. That bastard.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Best opening line of the week.

I rather liked this episode, in an inconsequential-but-it-passes-5-minutes-agreeably sort of way. Maybe I'm warming to Jim, or maybe it's just that this week certain other illustrious commentators have climbed onto their high horses to loftily denounce fans as the root of all games industry evils, and in doing so played up to the worst stereotype of the Escapist as a den of pseudo-intellectual elitists.

And intellectual is one thing I'll never accuse Jim of being.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
messy said:
One can't help but think that arrogance is real. I'm sure that such a persona is going to be exaggerated online for "comedic" effect however I can't help but think he's really like this. And it just makes the whole thing a bit irritating to watch, kudos on the two games mentions though.
Well yeah, within every joke is a kernel of truth. Everyone has that egotistical side to them, relax.

I'm glad to see some different glasses, ones that let your acting start showing a bit more. I'm a convert, I didn't really like this show but I gave it a chance and it's gotten far better than the pilot.

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
I actually remember spotting you Jim on youtube some time back and the last two episodes hadn't impressed me. This one was better :), but that's not why I comment... I wish to say fair play to you - You have earnt my respect in this vid and the description down the bottom of the vid. Well done sir. You have won me over. A fellow Jim's stamp of approval.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Vast improvement.

There were no penises in this episode. That is a great start. You used, primarily, footage and photos for illustration purposes. Also good.

You lost me at the very end with the turbo unforgiven image. I am sorry to say that we escapists are pretty spoiled, and expect more than MS paint by an untrained hand.

Good work. You seem to be listening to the audience, and are making wonderful improvements.

EDIT:

Concerning how Sony can make it up to its customers?

The free subscription is flawed but wise.

Flawed: No one will see the hit to the bottom line Sony is taking as some benevolent act. If anything, it should insult gamers who have been feeding Sony month after month of subscription money.

Wise: most gamers don't turn down "Free." They will have a month of free gaming. A.) Sony produces enough noise and flashy lights by the end of that month to distract/impress the gamers to continue playing. B.) Sony stays good and quiet, and hopes this blows over.

Veritasiness

Feb 19, 2010
I didn't hate this, but I didn't particularly like it either. Don't get me wrong, I know Jim's deal is the whole "I love to be hated, come at me bro," thing. I don't think he's (unexpectedly) sexist, I don't think his views on the PS3 issue are necessarily wrong, but if I want snarky game commentary I go to Yhatzee, if I want explanation and in-depth examination I go to Extra Credits, and if I want actual humor I go to LRR and Unskippable.

Jimquisition isn't a bad show. It just is trying to be everything the Escapist already is, which makes it very meh. If Jim wants to make this into something people will watch because they love or hate it, not merely dislike it or are okay with it (and, therefore, into something fun/profitable), it needs to find a niche these other shows don't already fill just fine on their own.

So overall - good job with the ranting, good job with the video, I think the MS Paint is ironic, not dumb... but Yhatzee was doing MS Paint penises way before you, and his are black on yellow backgrounds.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Assassin Xaero said:
The Medievil 3 thing would be nice, because I was just about to go buy the old one on PSN when it was brought down. But that is just my opinion. They don't really owe us anything, and if anyone does, it is the prick hackers that took it down.
While I don't argue whoever took it down deserves a caning, it's not like Sony doesn't owe you something for keeping it's mouth shut about the intrusion for nine days. Otherwise, you're way too forgiving.

As for the video, best one yet. Then again I've only watched this one and the first. Loved how you egged on your critics, background beats a plain white wall, camera and lighting were more professional, tone was more wry than rage and there was no music constantly drowning out your speech. You may continue to suck less every week, with my blessing.

As for firmware updates, and yet you'd think they'd update their web browser. It can't even surf all the places on the playstation blog. Lame.

tratorix

May 4, 2008
Well, third time i've tried to make it through one of these videos and third time i've lost interest like two minutes in. Think i'll stop trying.

Fallensoul83

Jun 30, 2009
I'd settle for legend of dragoon on PSN.
I would absolutely love a sequel,but will probably never happen.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
So far I've yet to watch an episode of Jimquisition all the way to the end. Who is this annoying egomaniac and why should I care? To answer that question I Googled him and found his reviews on Destructoid. I read a couple of them, and oh my god this guy has no talent at all. WTF is he doing here?

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
DragonSama said:
I'm just posting to say I didn't watch this. this show is terrible. I refuse to watch it.

that is all
So I'm not the only one. Video content on The Escapist has taken a nose dive in recent years. I mourn the loss of series like ENN, Doomsday Arcade and Let There Be Brawl. They were actually original and popular too! Although you aren't allowed to say anything negative about content on the forums lest you incur the wrath of the moderators, so it's much more fun to say how much better the old series were compared to this one without pointing out how bilious it is.

Hopefully we can all hold hands and not watch the videos so someone feels silly when they are paying someone for unwanted content. Give Graham and Paul more money instead, then Paul can buy a fourth PS3.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Sentox6 said:
There's genuine, endemic social sexism, and then there's Jim Sterling. These two things are about as equivalent as a real motorway pileup and a toddler banging Mattel cars together.
Except Jim Sterling is quite clearly the former. Everything he has said and done, across all his sites and via Twitter, supports the idea that he really DOES still have the "women should be shackled to the oven" mentality.

As opposed to, say, Yahtzee, who is consistently and impeccably polite to all denizens of the earth.
Again, you completely miss the point. Yahtzee's delivery is blatantly intended as humour and/or parody.

Yes, Yahtzee has had a go at people on his videos, but let's look at some of the more prominent examples:

"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits ... incidentally, why not buy a zero punctuation T-shirt?"
You see how that one worked? The setup was clearly parody because of the immediate and blatant double standard. First he ribs on fans as being worthless and that creators should totally ignore them, then he immediately asks for HIS fans to buy merchandise. If you don't see why that's funny, you probably just don't understand how British people work.

Next, the Brawl incident. Yeah, here Yahtzee attacked his fanbase directly. Wait, no he didn't, he attacked people who had the audacity to claim he'd PLAYED THE GAME WRONG!

As Yahtzee has made clear many times, his videos are his opinion. I'm pretty sure that at least once we have had a statement along the lines of "I really don't like JRPGs but if you do like them then good for you." from him before now. The Brawl incident, however, was one where the Fanboys descended. As someone who has never owned any of the Smash Bros games, but played all but the original, I can honestly say that it IS a mindless button masher. Slamming the controller into the wall is only slightly less effectively than randomly pressing buttons until a magical super-combo happens.

Already, Fanboys will be drawing in, hell bent on declaring how wrong I am, but they can swivel on it. The reality is that every time I have played Brawl, it always goes down the same way; you have the one saddo who has played the game obsessively on his own and has probably memorised the game-breaking moves with his favourite character, and everyone else who button-mashes. That is how the game is played. It's not big, it's not clever, it is in no way original, and it sure as hell stops being fun after about ten minutes.

To return to the original point... yeah, what Jim Sterling does is not funny. There's nothing about it that screams 'this isn't actually my opinion'. The fact is that if you tout biggoted bullshit whilst DRESSED AS A FASCIST, people are going to take you seriously. If you want to make it clear what you're saying is pardoy, then you either need to learn about comedic execution, or dress as a fucking clown and have a laugh track playing every ten seconds.

Unskippable is a couple of guys VOing game cutscenes. Production standards don't even enter into the equation.
Their intro is still vastly superior to Jimquisition's.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Wargamer said:
Except Jim Sterling is quite clearly the former.
Really? I've seen nothing but material so overblown with hyperbole that I don't see how any reasonable person can determine a genuine perspective with seriously questioning their interpretation one way or the other.

If you don't see why that's funny, you probably just don't understand how British people work.
If you somehow extrapolated from my statement that I don't find Yahtzee to be humourous, I don't think you understand how English works. I said nothing regarding my perception of Sterling or Yahtzee's humour in any capacity. For the record, I find both of them amusing.

Additionally, as someone who had a British grandfather, I'm not entirely unfamiliar with their perception of humour.

To return to the original point... yeah, what Jim Sterling does is not funny.
Some of it makes me laugh. That's my definition of funny, and I don't particularly feel the need to deconstruct or validate that.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Eikoandmog said:
messy said:
One can't help but think that arrogance is real. I'm sure that such a persona is going to be exaggerated online for "comedic" effect however I can't help but think he's really like this. And it just makes the whole thing a bit irritating to watch, kudos on the two games mentions though.
Well yeah, within every joke is a kernel of truth. Everyone has that egotistical side to them, relax.

I'm glad to see some different glasses, ones that let your acting start showing a bit more. I'm a convert, I didn't really like this show but I gave it a chance and it's gotten far better than the pilot.
I am calm. I'm just saying that I don't particularly like him, but I figured it would be preferable to supplement a reason.