Jimquisition: How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Everyone always knocks Nintendo for the whole IP thing but you know what? Other than the new Mortal Kombat no one else got my interest like Nintendo did this past E3.

Gaming Industry, can't you see all Jim wants is to be relieved of his burden! Thank God for him.

red255

Apr 22, 2014
predicting Nintendo is not hard to do Jim. They've been doing the same things for the same people since the SNES. which is why they are still doing E3 like that.

Yes as stated, EA, Activision, and apparently Ubisoft have lost the ability to hype their games.

Bethesda once said with Fallout 3 that it would have hundreds of different endings. or something. when there were like 2 or 3 similiar endings except with the technically that the image of your childhood picture with your dad had a few hundred variants technically.

Didn't hurt that game, lies don't make a bad game good Jim, but if you are going to SELL a bad game, it doesn't hurt to lie. it only hurts the next game.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
red255 said:
predicting Nintendo is not hard to do Jim. They've been doing the same things for the same people since the SNES. which is why they are still doing E3 like that.

Yes as stated, EA, Activision, and apparently Ubisoft have lost the ability to hype their games.

Bethesda once said with Fallout 3 that it would have hundreds of different endings. or something. when there were like 2 or 3 similiar endings except with the technically that the image of your childhood picture with your dad had a few hundred variants technically.

Didn't hurt that game, lies don't make a bad game good Jim, but if you are going to SELL a bad game, it doesn't hurt to lie. it only hurts the next game.
Yeah, but Bioware tried that nonsense again with DA3....

http://www.geek.com/games/biowares-dragon-age-inquisition-will-have-40-different-endings-1596502/

...and people saw right through it.

http://gamingbolt.com/bioware-dragon-age-inquisition-doesnt-really-have-40-endings

The lies aren't working anymore.

Kevin7557

May 31, 2008
I can understand awesome prerendered trailers. Even if they are increasingly boring as they try to emulate video game footage instead of wowing concepts, art directions, or just as a snappy advertisement. They're a good eye catchers and there are good ways to do them. Tropico 5 (buggy and broken as it is) had a good example with one of it's trailers. You clearly knew this was a hilarious advertisement, not representative of the final product. (sorry pretty sure I'm not allowed to link here or I would)

But at a certain point, I do expect to see actual gameplay footage. Tropico 5 I'll use as an example again, did this well. They had a very long gameplay demo video that showed you exactly what you were getting. Fallout did this well, as well. CG announcement, and eventual gameplay footage closer to launch.

What I don't like is how Electronic Arts especially, but others are guilty of this as well, are taking what is perhaps in game engine rendered footage, but never the less not gameplay footage and calling it gameplay footage. All this tells me as a consumer is: DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!! or IT'S A TRAP!.

And when these companies false advertise and they get me, it's Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I don't preorder their products anymore, and they're lucky if I buy them at all, since their competition is more than happy to supply awesome experiences without the deciete and bullshit.

That aside: I don't see what Jim sees. Watch Dogs doesn't look bad, but GTAV on the last generation looked more impressive.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
We can only hope to see Link go toe-to-toe with Lu Bu and a Gundam.
With Ryu Hyabusa and Keiji Maeda in tow.

Hmmm...Gundam+Ocarina....There's a Dragonzord joke in there somewhere.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Aside from Nintendo, there was one shining moment among the other press conferences: Little Big Planet 3. Now I know a lot of people hated it because they were pretty bad, but that is what I enjoyed about it. It wasn't a guy standing up there holding a controller pretending the play through the game, it was 4 people not entirely sure of what they were doing trying to figure out the best way through the game. They died a bunch of times, and did their best to stay on script whereas all of the other "gameplay" demos show us perfect scenarios under ideal situations. Them just using Swoop to speed through the demo when they realized they were going long was something actual people would do. That was the only moment that was not Nintendo or some website's footage that made me think something was gameplay.

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
synobal said:
Sadly Jim the guys with the advertising and PR degrees will not agree with you. As long as you pour money into advertising you'll be fine regardless of how much you lied.
The problem with that is is leads to The Boy who Cried Wolf issue. They lie and over hype their game, the games come out good or mediocre then people call them crap because they didn't get what the expected then the people get cynical and any marketing stops working on them. The problem is marketers have no clue what they are doing, Joe Blow off the street would be a better marketer than anyone with a masters degree in marketing. What they learn in marketing courses is all out of date and was bullshit when it was though up and then reinforce their the bullshit with focus groups designed to tell them what they want to hear.

If anyone reading this is going for a marketing degree, here is a tip: When you get your degree delete everything you learned about marketing from your brain, it's all bullshit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Valderis said:
You would think the industry would have learned by now, after so many years. But who are we kidding, this is the videogame industry, they will never learn a goddamn thing. Thank god for Jim!
The awful truth is that they don't need to learn this lesson as long as we keep giving them money.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Digging the new intro Jim!

Also liars and marketers pretty much go hand in hand for most things these days...

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
This sort of circles back to what that idiot Phil Fish said about Let's Play videos.

it's called advertizing, that you don't even have to pay for.

The fact that some game devs and publishers think that people seeing their games being played will hurt their bottom line is so telling about how much faith they have in their products.

Banning preorders all together would be the cure for all that. not that that'll ever happen.

The fact that it's almost impossible to go to a retail store and buy a game on Day 1 with out having preordered just leads to more preorders and it is reinforces that self perpetuating circle of lies and misinformation.

Kind of like how #1 at the box office is not a comment on the movies quality it's a comment on the quality of the movie's marketing. then that gets used in the marketing to convince more people to go see the movie.

crazyburnerboy8

Jan 4, 2009
jim have you lost weight ?? you look thin!, thank god for game related stress, lord knows thats the only exercise i get !

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
A good aesthetic can make any game look good no matter how little raw graphics horsepower you actually have.

For instance: Take a look at the image below

Notice how despite the obviously low resolution textures the game still looks rather decent (IMHO) - That is the aesthetic of the game at work.

And again with this one

You have jagged lines all over the place due to a lack of raw graphical horsepower but the aesthetic makes it still look good.

Now if you want a challange then without cheating guess which console generation the game that those two screenshots come from is from

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
truckspond said:
A good aesthetic can make any game look good no matter how little raw graphics horsepower you actually have.

For instance: Take a look at the image below

Notice how despite the obviously low resolution textures the game still looks rather decent (IMHO) - That is the aesthetic of the game at work.

And again with this one

You have jagged lines all over the place due to a lack of raw graphical horsepower but the aesthetic makes it still look good.

Now if you want a challange then without cheating guess which console generation the game that those two screenshots come from is from
They look to be N64/PsONE Era graphics.

OT: I already decided to get a WiiU next month(assuming I don't find a place to move to.) but this last E3 made it cemented. Lots of cool looking experiences in the coming months. Looking forward to it.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
TheKasp said:
I was bored by the E3 this year. Nintendo was the one company that showed interesting stuff, the rest was boring ass crap seen hundreds of times before.

Well, how long will it take for the usual suspects to come and defend the poor, afraid companies against the bad 'SJW' and their unfair attacks and treatment...

Why would they do that? Are you saying that people who dislike lying corporations are social justice warriors? I'm confused by your weird insertion of SJWs into this topic.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Seth Carter said:
But I'm curious as to what the take on the supposedly "in engine" obviously scripted and edited (cause ya know, that slow-mo complete camera shift is blatantly obviously not an ingame thing and I don't know how anyones expected to believe it is) Zelda Wii-U thing is.
Well noticed. Nintendo doesn't have a clean record when it comes to E3 Zelda games. Wind Waker was bashed when it came out for the Gamecube because it looked nothing like the Zelda they showed up in the E3 a couple of years before.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
TheKasp said:
Well, how long will it take for the usual suspects to come and defend the poor, afraid companies against the bad 'SJW' and their unfair attacks and treatment...
Are you trying to create the Nth Escapist's Here-We-Go-Again Shitstorm, by any chance?

OT: Jim hits it again, as usual. Bullshitting your audience with scripted CGI bullfilms shows your lack of confidence of your product as-is.

captcha: play it again, sam

are you challenging me, captcha? and my name ain't Sam.