Jimquisition: How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Ninmecu said:

They look to be N64/PsONE Era graphics...
You honestly think that this would run on consoles with less that 50 MHz of CPU speed and equally low power graphics and stay at 60 FPS despite all of the particle effects going on?

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
synobal said:
Sadly Jim the guys with the advertising and PR degrees will not agree with you. As long as you pour money into advertising you'll be fine regardless of how much you lied.
As a guy who's currently actually earning a degree in Advertising and PR I gotta say that's not what we're taught. Maybe when I actually enter the industry that'll change but for the most part I'm being taught that goodwill isn't something advertising can buy and it is THE most valuable thing a company can have.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I really can't wait for Hyrule warriors.
Also, I like how Bayonette 2 video had her dressed as Link, that looks cool :p

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
CaitSeith said:
Seth Carter said:
But I'm curious as to what the take on the supposedly "in engine" obviously scripted and edited (cause ya know, that slow-mo complete camera shift is blatantly obviously not an ingame thing and I don't know how anyones expected to believe it is) Zelda Wii-U thing is.
Well noticed. Nintendo doesn't have a clean record when it comes to E3 Zelda games. Wind Waker was bashed when it came out for the Gamecube because it looked nothing like the Zelda they showed up in the E3 a couple of years before.
They were honest from the get-go about the Zelda U trailer, though. They said it was in-engine, and made it clear it wasn't in-game.

It was the Escapist who fucked up and misquoted them as saying it was "in-game" because, you know, this site kinda sucks ass when it comes to getting the information correct the first time.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I do wonder if Jim's magnificent ego won't eventually upset the planet's route around the sun, or if he won't just turn into a glory-sucking black hole, Large Hadron Collider Apocalypse style.

Jokes aside, I have to agree, as always. What's so hard about being honest? What's so hard in having some confidence in your product, such as it is? I know budgets are being inflated and I know studios tend to desperately cling to pre-order money to finance their next bloated pseudo-epic - but there has got to be a way for them to break that culture, right?

I mean, not so long ago, games used to have close to no publicity at all, outside of the super rad Saturday morning SNES cartridge ads that dominated my childhood's commercial breaks. You had to pick around channels in the hopes of finding a gaming-related show, and that was literally all you were going to get!

Now, it feels as though a game can't survive on the market if it doesn't generate hype two fricking years before its release. It's just sad.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Brian Tams said:
They were honest from the get-go about the Zelda U trailer, though. They said it was in-engine, and made it clear it wasn't in-game.
This is something other companies get crap for, though.

truckspond said:
They look to be N64/PsONE Era graphics...
You honestly think that this would run on consoles with less that 50 MHz of CPU speed and equally low power graphics and stay at 60 FPS despite all of the particle effects going on?[/quote]

People are super quick to throw around the "two gens ago" card. Though that would be three gens, but people usually go back two.

I wouldn't concern myself with that sort of thing. People will go hyperbolic to the point of absurdity.

AJ_Lethal said:
Bullshitting your audience with scripted CGI bullfilms shows your lack of confidence of your product as-is.
Or pattern recognition.

Darkmantle said:
Why would they do that? Are you saying that people who dislike lying corporations are social justice warriors? I'm confused by your weird insertion of SJWs into this topic.
Because "Social Justice Warrior" basically means "anyone who has a position I disagree with" in the way it's thrown around.

Mikeyfell said:
The fact that it's almost impossible to go to a retail store and buy a game on Day 1 with out having preordered just leads to more preorders and it is reinforces that self perpetuating circle of lies and misinformation.
I haven't run into this problem before. Well, not since like, the PS2 days. I think the last time I actually had to pre-order a game was Burnout 3, which is a decade old. Game stores seem to overstock at launch in most cases.

Unless you're talking limited editions and the like, but that would strike me as the point.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Usually (but not always) companies get crap for it not because they're using in-engine footage in place of in-game footage, but because they're being dishonest about it. They'll try and sell the idea that what we're watching is actual gameplay, when its really just in-engine footage cut to look like gameplay. Or they'll dodge the question about whether its gameplay.

Nintendo did not do this. They were honest up front, and that's why they "got away with it." Any company that follows suit will usually not draw the ire of gamers.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Nintendo proving time and time again that they should really go full on software. Their games are great, the console is the only thing stopping me from playing it. Maybe the Piss poor and the Xboner will get some nicer things when they've been out for a year or two.

If it weren't for the internet, E3 would pass me by entirely and I would completely ignore it.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
Kenneth Leider said:
Jim suffers for their sins. Oh why won't they stop their sinful ways!
Because according to the book of Jim, he still has to be killed via crucifixion to a giant purple dildo so he can descend to the depths of corporate hell and defeat everyone in there, then resurrect after 4 days because of fucking lag so he can ascend to a higher plane of existence and become The Jim.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

E3 was full of lies and conjecture, and that was stupid. At least one company was doing it right.
Also, Bug Princess.

Watch Video
I think the advertisers and marketers are really an outdated thing now. At least, for what they cost vs how they perform, I think it is. Money can be better spent elsewhere. In my view, part of the problem of over-inflated gaming budget costs stem from the production, packaging and distribution of this kind of bullshit.

And I take this kind of attitude towards advertising and marketing with a little help...

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
As a primarily Sony gamer I totally agree that Ninty's E3 is the way to go. If everyone did it like that I would actually pay attention to E3. I'm still a couple of years away from getting a WiiU to be my PS4's sidekick, but when I do Hyrule Warriors will be my first port of call, it really looks enticing. I'm curious whether the darling Zelda or the scorned Warriors series will carry the day come review time.

Oh, and thumbs up to the new intro.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Mikeyfell said:
The fact that it's almost impossible to go to a retail store and buy a game on Day 1 with out having preordered just leads to more preorders and it is reinforces that self perpetuating circle of lies and misinformation.
I haven't run into this problem before. Well, not since like, the PS2 days. I think the last time I actually had to pre-order a game was Burnout 3, which is a decade old. Game stores seem to overstock at launch in most cases.

Unless you're talking limited editions and the like, but that would strike me as the point.
Really? because that's happened to me with the last 3 high profile games I tried to buy (And I do mean last as in final because it's highly unlikely that I'll ever pay money for a high profile game again)

GTA 5, Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs.
they weren't available on Day 1 unless I preordered them so I didn't buy them. and still haven't.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
templar1138a said:
I'm worried that the attempts at open-worlding the new Zelda will make it not FEEL like a Zelda game. Still, fingers crossed.
Looks like they're trying to bring back some of the Zelda 1 and 3 feeling, with those being largely open-world and all (more so the former). Will be interesting to see if they ditch the "do three dungeons -> open up real game" formula and maybe have a "short/skipable tutorial -> open up real game" instead. I'm sure the world/animations/combat will all deliver that Zelda feeling, but I hope they really change up the way items are used. I don't want to see more "use item to complete dungeon puzzle, use item to defeat boss". Maybe have items from other dungeons open up alternate routes or secrets etc. And they should make finding the actual dungeon a puzzle in itself again! It was fun trying to find where you had to go, rather than having some flashing dot on the map.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Zachary Amaranth said:
The awful truth is that they don't need to learn this lesson as long as we keep giving them money.
The even worse truth is that for every one person that wises up and stopped giving these people money, there's a hundred more casuals and blind fanboys who either don't know or don't give a damn about how they are being royally screwed over just coming into some disposable income who will give the industry money anyway, meaning that refusing to give them money is ultimately meaningless in the end.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Damn, I'm so, so fought... I mean, on one hand, yeah. Nintendo's policy of dealing directly with the customers is nice. I like Nintendo Direct.

But on the other, Nintendo wants to start a personal affiliate program on Youtube to get their piece of minuscule pie (are they that desperate for money?!). They seem to only be able to stay afloat thanks to their first party titles and even that isn't doing them as much good as needed, since their last two consoles in a row are rushed out pieces of convoluted hardware based around a gimmick that no one seems to know what to do with it and it also is a pain to develop for. And the less said about their Online Store's offer, the better.

Bottom line, Nintendo is exclusively doing good things for Nintendo fans. If you're a gamer on the fence, they offer very little for you. Even less if you're a third party/indie developer.

By comparison, Sony is getting much more of my respect because they learn from their mistakes and have understood that they can't survive and win by ignoring gamers -like Microsoft tried to do- and third parties -like Nintendo does-. Now, if only they would lower the prices for the Vita storage cards and stop talking about it like it's just a horseshoe for their Ensemble Dark Horse the PS4...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Seth Carter said:
But I'm curious as to what the take on the supposedly "in engine" obviously scripted and edited (cause ya know, that slow-mo complete camera shift is blatantly obviously not an ingame thing and I don't know how anyones expected to believe it is) Zelda Wii-U thing is.
Well noticed. Nintendo doesn't have a clean record when it comes to E3 Zelda games. Wind Waker was bashed when it came out for the Gamecube because it looked nothing like the Zelda they showed up in the E3 a couple of years before.
Your statement is misleading. There is nothing wrong with Nintendo's record. What you are referring to is a tech demo that they did in 1999. They actually showed Windwaker the following year(still 2 years before the game came out). Yes, some people criticized Nintendo's decision to go with a cel-shaded art style, but it wasn't because Nintendo misrepresented themselves. And time has proven most of the original criticism to be full of shit, as Windwaker is a pretty well loved iteration of the series.