Jimquisition: I'm Going To Murder Your Children

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Amir Kondori said:
I thought that this Hepler thing happened a long time ago. Did this happen recently?
She recently left her position at Bioware - officially to spend time with her family and work on her book - but she also recently got a death threat to her children.

Edit: Other things in the video also recently happened -

Phil Fish officially "left" the industry, and cancelled Fez 2

A dev for COD got harassed on XBL, twitter, and through phone calls for changing the stats on a sniper rifle.

And not mentioned in the video -

Notch cancelled his current project as a sort of reverse harassment is happening. People were watching and stealing code from his streams, and constantly asking him for his game to come out. Constantly. So he cancelled the game and his blog and streams.

TotalBiscuit and his wife are currently in a spat with the SC2 Pro community over something - I don't know - but fans on both sides are having it out.

wisefatmatt

Oct 30, 2008
I fail to see the point of your video Jim. I'd say a large majority of gamers already know that it's not okay to threaten families. Did you think this video was going to change their minds? Did you think that by telling these people that it's not okay and they should stop would do anything? They are extremists in every sense of the word and you're not going to convert them to your way of thinking. All you've done is preach to the choir and that has never accomplished anything.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
bringer of illumination said:
The entire fucking premise of the video is false, when was the last time a game writer was harassed into leaving their job before this one? Can anyone tell me? And if not, then why are we pretending that it is somehow a giant pressing issue? Why is Jim screaming about how the gaming culture suppresses "creativity" when it has never fucking happened before? And no Jim, the other examples given in these videos are not about "creativity".
Phil Fish.

Notch, as of today.

Other industries have PR agents, managers, and the rest in front of their twitter accounts.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
uanime5 said:
Colin Murray said:
uanime5 said:
Also if people don't willing resign after ruining a game without poor writing and continue to ruin other games then the only way left to "save" these games is to force this person to quit. Perhaps if people took more responsibility for producing poor quality products this wouldn't happen.
And that's what entitlement sounds like. "I the customer demand that you lose your job because I chose to buy something and don't feel like blaming myself for not researching my purchases better".
How exactly do you research a product that hasn't been released and all the professional reviewers have claimed is the best game of all time?

Also you've ignored that I said only writers who make games with bad stories should resign and instead decided to replace it with a strawman.
Actually that's more or less exactly what you said. That people who make products you don't like should stop working. The quality of a story is subjective, ergo you are projecting your own values onto the quality of a story, and people are under no obligation to resign if they mess up a story, every person messed up at least once in their career. You yeah, you basically did say that people should lose their jobs if they make a product you don't like.

Also, to address the other point you made in the other post that replied to me, Jim was more pointing out how people flip out every last time a developer steps out of line simply because they stepped out of line, not because they had actual grievances with how the new idea was executed.

Delerien

Apr 3, 2013
jmarquiso said:
Phil Fish.

Notch, as of today.

Other industries have PR agents, managers, and the rest in front of their twitter accounts.
Notch? Did i miss something?
"I stopped developing 0x10c because everyone started caring about it before it was even done," he said.

"It was much easier to have grand plans when nobody knew who I was," he wrote.
"The gaming world doesn't need more under delivering visionaries."
At worst you could say he cracked under the pressure. But I don't see how this in any way would count as harassment.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
I gotta say I'm not exactly sure how using your whole video to take these death threat wankers to task is actually helping. Frankly I feel all it does is give the rectum-faced little shit stains the attention they crave. While I'm just as annoyed that these kind of fools have anything to do with one of my cherished hobbies, I'm also stunningly annoyed that its always these socially retarded juveniles that get the most attention from the gaming press.

I agree they are pretty pathetic assholes and the issue needs to be addressed, but does that mean we should completely ignore the much larger percentage of gamers who don't act like a bunch of lobotomized five-year-olds with impulse control issues and tourettes? I say fucking no we shouldn't!

By focusing only on these negative detractors of the gaming community without also focusing on what the community does right, I feel you actually help reinforce the misapprehension that all gamers are guilty of this type of antisocial behavior. And with no positive reinforcement you also pretty much guarantee a self fulfilling prophecy because there will be some non-troublemakers who will get tired of being shat on and decide "Ok fine, if I'm going to be treated like an asshole for no reason, I might as well just act like an asshole." Or possibly worse, make the normal, sane members of the gaming society not want to be associated with it anymore.

Anyway, anyone can spew hate and vitriol without offering a solution to a problem. Its much easier to lambast with the vocal fist of anger than it is to be the voice of sanity and reason. I'm asking you Jim to not be one of those guys. To quote the guy in my avatar, instead of just focusing your rage on the small group of assholes and ignoring the much larger portion of the rest of the crowd who haven't done anything wrong, "Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I agree that this whole threatening to kill people bit is bad, but seriously? Where was Jim when any male developer was threatened? Why is it women - and only women - get defended so much? I've watched all his episodes, and yes on the occasion he does a little aside about how men are people too, buts its mostly him saying "How dare you!" to some dude on the internet. I just wish he'd do an entire episode about a male developer being threatened every now and then.

But there I go, running my sexist mouth off again...

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Kinda fucked up that their are literally people in the world who think dislike of a thing they wanted to like is reason enough to threaten someone. How does someone even think like that. You can't blame one single person for an entire game. DA2 wasn't bad because of its writing anyway, hell the writing was fantastic, it was bad for several other reasons; none of which were caused by a single stand alone person. Even if they were it's a freaking video game. If it's bad it's bad, you accept that and move on. Geezus.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I'm going to make another post because on another topic, somebody is really pissing me off with his lame excusees for his inaction.

If you are angry about gamers being generalized from the vocal minority, don't just sit back and say "I'm not one of them." This does nothing to stop the vocal minority. The only ones who can stop the vocal minority are the silent majority.

If you are pissed that Jim decided to cast a wide net, then how about you stop voicing your displeasure to him and start getting on the cases of those who make us look like homicidal maniacs? We all (well, most of us) have the one guy on our friends list that likes to spew hate filled tripe online. Wade into the troll filled pools that poison the Steam community. Get your hands dirty. Don't just say "Its not me, man." Fucking DO SOMETHING TO HELP.

Nov 24, 2010
Magog1 said:
....i've never threatened any game maker.
Do you want a cookie for human decency?
Hope not. but teke it, cookies are yummy.

(http://fiftytwoacts.wordpress.com)
If you are none of that group that send her threats-good, than this is not about you.Go easy, relax, whatever. If you are none of that people who becone aggressive and throw derogatory words onto other people, threaten them or say they should be killed:then thank you for meeting the ground standard of human decency. This rant is not directed at you, so why do you make it about your hurt feelings because of accusations? I mean, its pretty clear that jim was addressing the kind of people who did an would do this stuff.. Do you get angry if you see posters which say to you "dont drink and drive, you will kill somebody" because you never would do that and you feel unfair?

again:if you are no total fuckwad, nice, this is not for you. Or maybe it is.

Because even if you are not one that starts using slurs at people or threatens them because they have another opinion..what do you do, if something like that happens in your vicinity? Do you ignore it? Do you joke with those people if you play online and someone in that group uses these kinds of threat&trastalk against other people? Are you silent, embarrased? (what i mean ist:do you enable such behaviour by complicit silence?)

such behaviour comes not out of nowhere. I mean, usually this kind of behaviour wont happen so often in real life. Since the internet and anonymity, such situations have increased. Are you somebody who helped that? do you defend people who act like that because "its only words, dont be such a wuss" or "thats the internet for you. get over it"*(who said that you have to embrace shittiness? just because something stinks doenst mean that you cant clean it) Are you someone, who listens to people who talk about their experiences with harassment and threats and respect that or are you someone who tries to police them and say that just because you got one or two threats on you-tube and got called a fa*, other people should get over with or leave the internet?(d.h are you an active part of silencing because this toxic culture got so normal, that the idea to change for the better is so absurd? Is it so normal, that a vocal minority can drive some people out of public spaces?

Imagine, you go out for a cup of icecream. Your pals and you get some and sit at a plaza, but there are 2 or 3 people who stand around someone and use fould language, calling that person mean names and following this person everywhere. into the shops, in the bus, even sometimes they stand before that persons home, calling that person names, using derogatory language, using threats and NOT BACKING UP. Most of the time you see that one person, you will see the 2,3 other persons as well, harassing, taunting etc.

and now your pals:that's reality. if they cant deal with public spaces (part of the internet is) they should go and stay at home..

nobody would do that, that's ridiculous. But when this happens at the internet and people quitting one big part of their life because of that vocal minority that knows about their family, that pops up everywhere they are(blocking doenst works because you can get 30 accounts in a few minutes and a proxy isn't that hard to get..) there are people who use their time just to annoy one person, harass that person, threaten that person. and often people seem to be okay with that. because you often read these comments "*shrugg*thats the internet. go out if you cant cope...
But (well, almost)nobody would say:never go to the post or drive bus if you cant cope with the harassment, its just part of our culture..

because that would be defending it. that would be saying-it cant be helped and doing on the own things (until maybe you get targeted by such an person)

point is.-just because this culture is shit doenst meant that is has to stay that way. every time someone cant control their hate, its a little part that piles up to the big dung of hate. and then it becomes normal. or it is. We need tools and ways to solve that problem, at least in pages where its not about freedom over everything, but about good serious discussions.(like here)

i mean if someone hosts a homepage or forum and states clear that there is freedom to say whatever you want as long as it dont collides with the law that this is okay. As long as people know that this will never be a safe space, thats fine. And as long as there are safe spaces where people can communicate without having fear of this kind of stuff. This goes at the cost of free speach, yes. but as long as people know what the rules are (and arent obliged to join the site) thats okay.

but i think sites with a big open community need moderation. Twitter, facebook, maybe youtube. To help against those people.(i mena, there are rules, they just dont get enforced because the money and fun of some are more important than the participationa nd the feeling of safety of others. But this can be only as long as people are okay with this sort of thing without doing it themself. If enough people say-we dont want that, we want to be able to publish a note without having 200&x peopel tell me that i am fat ugly or slutty, gay, a pussy or whatever, then things might change.

But as long as people can act like you " I don't harass people therefore I am not a part of the problem and now i am going to ignore that and mind my own business" as this long will this minority be heard and the people who suffer by them will flee or even worse.(and its sad that people have to leave a big part of their life because of the behaviour of some people.)
No, we need enough people who 1. don't act like that (or only act like that ins paces where it is okay to act like that-unless it invades the privacy of people. doxxing&stuff is shit no matter where) and 2. don't ignore such an abuse or enable it through downplaying/policing/silencing the victim but to stand up and say:fuck that, thats wrong. that isn't funny. if you don't stop annoying my team you get muted and flagged.(and in an good world guys from PSnetwork,xbox&co would react.
(sadly they don't because THERE ARE TOO MANY COMPLAINTS. this girl form notinthekitchenanymore.com had to make a big fuss until some guy wh threatened her rape got banned after days. some users who sent her pms with disgusting, sexist, harassing BS are playing and posting happily ever after. there is no consequences for this kind of behaviour..i mean why, most people seem not to care or its is SO everywhere that ist normality and there for okay..)

that there are safe spaces in the internet where people of all kind can be open about their life and experience without the fear of stalking, doxxing and continuous cyber-bullying.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
I agree that this whole threatening to kill people bit is bad, but seriously? Where was Jim when any male developer was threatened? Why is it women - and only women - get defended so much? I've watched all his episodes, and yes on the occasion he does a little aside about how men are people too, buts its mostly him saying "How dare you!" to some dude on the internet. I just wish he'd do an entire episode about a male developer being threatened every now and then.

But there I go, running my sexist mouth off again...
He actually went out of his way and made an extra episode purely to discus the crap that was getting flung at Phil Fish.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7831-Go-Fish

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
uanime5 said:
How exactly do you research a product that hasn't been released and all the professional reviewers have claimed is the best game of all time?

Also you've ignored that I said only writers who make games with bad stories should resign and instead decided to replace it with a strawman.
Well, you could wait and see, for one.

The idea that someone should lose their job because you don't like their writing is just silly. No straw man here.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
What I find disturbing is that an anonymous person in Canada can read a ranting Facebook entry from a kid in America and somehow get this kid thrown into jail, but high profile developers and people with big companies at their back can't manage to get any of these idiots jailed for their threats..

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
uanime5 said:
erttheking said:
uanime5 said:
Colin Murray said:
uanime5 said:
Also if people don't willing resign after ruining a game without poor writing and continue to ruin other games then the only way left to "save" these games is to force this person to quit. Perhaps if people took more responsibility for producing poor quality products this wouldn't happen.
And that's what entitlement sounds like. "I the customer demand that you lose your job because I chose to buy something and don't feel like blaming myself for not researching my purchases better".

Actually that's more or less exactly what you said. That people who make products you don't like should stop working. The quality of a story is subjective, ergo you are projecting your own values onto the quality of a story, and people are under no obligation to resign if they mess up a story, every person messed up at least on in your career. You yeah, you basically did say that people should lose their jobs if they make a product you don't like.
Games such as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were criticised by the majority of players for having a poorly written story (especially the ending of Mass Effect 3). So pretending that only I disliked bad games is completely inaccurate.

If the writing in a game garners too much hatred from their players the writers should resign or be fired before they are forced out by angry fans. The fact that this hatred is subjective is irrelevant.

Also, to address the other point you made in the other post that replied to me, Jim was more pointing out how people flip out every last time a developer steps out of line simply because they stepped out of line, not because they had actual grievances with how the new idea was executed.
That only happens when developers try to change something in an established franchise. No one cares what happens in new games (unless it negatively effects women, then all the white knight start screaming insanely).
Yes, just about everyone hated Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. No one else demanded that people resign from their jobs though. And even then there were plenty of people who liked them. How come people who don't like things should have the power to choose who should keep their jobs and who shouldn't?

I disagree, I disagree 110%, that's like saying that Johnny Depp should stop acting because he was involved in the Lone Ranger movie, that's like saying George R.R. Martin should stop writing because the recent Song of Ice and Fire books weren't as good as the earlier ones, that's like saying that Gearbox shouldn't have bothered releasing Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep because Aliens Colonial Marines had come out before it and that they should just shut down, that's like saying that any person who ever makes a single mistake should be forbidden from ever writing anything again and should end their career right now. People shouldn't be punished for not being perfect. When people make mistakes, they shouldn't throw down their pen and paper, they should look at their mistake and LEARN from it and use it to write better stories in the future.

Also I don't see how religiously sticking to the status quo is a good thing. I seem to remember people throwing fits about possible gay romance options in ME3 with the only basis for the anger being "It wasn't in the games before". Not to mention she didn't actually implement any of the changes she was talking about, and didn't even specify the Dragon Age games, but the mere thought of thinking about it was more than enough to send people into a blood frenzy.