Jimquisition: Monster Boobs And Plastic Children

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
It's funny, I see people get defensive about these things and say stuff like "It's bad to generalize that all Japanese media is like that." But it's hard not to when it seems to pop up in almost all anime and such.

Take One Piece for example. It's the most popular anime/manga in Japan right now (for good reasons, it really is quite good) but even One Piece gives its female characters ridiculous breast sizes.

I mean look at the character Nami for example:

...This is all for educational purposes of course...
The thing that draws my attention in those pics is the waist, it's just too thin... like creepy thin like... oh, that's what it reminds me of;

Aeon Flux

The chest would probably not look as exaggerated if her mid section was a bit thicker.

dangoball said:
Pff, you all have obviously NOT seen enough hentai to know what Japanese mean by HUGE tits. Those gals in DoA5? Nah, 'bout average hentai teens to be gangbanged by tentacled aliens.

THIS is what they mean by BIG:
http://www.sailormoonhentaiworld.com/images/hentai--aino-minako--bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon--blonde-hair--blue-eyes--bow--breast-squeeze--breasts--castella--choker--earrings--hair-bow--huge-breasts--jewelry--long-hair--open-mouth--sailor-venus--smile--solo.jpg
Notice that each breast is "only" as big as the girl head.

And this is what they mean by HUGE.
http://xxxbunker.com/hentai_blonde_with_massive_tits_gets_screwed.jpg
And here each breast is about as big as the girls torso.

I feel kinda ashamed now and I don't even like huge tits. I prefer petite girls!
Come on, you don't have to go that far, just look at the Skyrim mods

I swear that's not the largest ones there, but I'm pretty sure those are the largest ones contained in a top.

I, like you, don't care for the super exaggerated breast size but I'm not bothered by the fact they exist in this or any medium.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
You know I like a lot of what Jim has to say.

Except when it comes to this whole schtick of being socially progressive. Its not. its just more faux enlightenment. So yeah stop with the acting as if it makes you sick. Either it doesnt and you are saying it for no other reason than to appear socially progressive, or it does, in which case you might want to reevaluate a few things.

Im tired of watching anything that can even remotely be considered to pander to masculine tastes being wrung and drained by the political correct wringer all in the hopes of accomplishing something that cannot nor ever will happen. Its nothing but wasted effort akin to an over protective mother taking one childs possession away from both children because they were fighting over it.

Look, I havent played a dead or alive game since the original dead or alive. Its not that I find it offensive, I just fell out of interest of fighting games (mostly due to living alone and no friends for a few years) But I am glad to see them make what they make, giggle physics and all because video games are supposed to be a form of escapism. To allow you to do things you cannot do in the real world, and you know what, Ogling polyginal boobs that can even defy non euclidean geometry is exactly that type of thing. So dont condemn someone with the courage to make something of the like in this emasculated world we now live in, and dont act as if it makes you sick, when you can confess to using it at least once. For trying to sit in judgement over something being juvenile, we as a world have a lot of growing up to do if we think this is the right way to be.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Show me a man being overtly offended by exaggerated tits, and I'll show you a man that's simply ashamed of himself and trying to act cool.

We should all respect the madness/brilliance behind Team Ninja, but we're all too busy being embarrassed by our own libido. Prudish modern culture has demonized our very sexuality, and I'll have no part of it, thank you.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I don't know, but did anyone notice this song from FF-9 was playing in the beginning when John de Foe wanted to kill all the pandas?
I'm 97.6253% sure it was.

Actually seeing the comments on youtube as I listened to the song he plays this all the time doesn't he?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
GTwander said:
Show me a man being overtly offended by exaggerated tits, and I'll show you a man that's simply ashamed of himself and trying to act cool.
Or he isn't a breast man.

Or he isn't into women.

Or he thinks they're being displayed in an inappropriate time and/or place.

Or he thinks the only reason such breasts exist is for the purpose of sexual exploitation, which he can't find sexy.

In short, please quit trying to claim that all men are on your side.

GTwander said:
Prudish modern culture has demonized our very sexuality, and I'll have no part of it, thank you.
This is a respectable position, and I wish you'd stuck with it rather than telling me that my disagreeing with you is proof of me agreeing with you.

Tiger Sora said:
I don't know, but did anyone notice this song from Final Fantasy IX was playing in the beginning when Willem Dafoe wanted to kill all the pandas?
Final Fantasy IX is listed in the video's closing credits, anyway.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
JimB said:
GTwander said:
Or he isn't a breast man.

Or he isn't into women.

Or he thinks they're being displayed in an inappropriate time and/or place.

Or he thinks the only reason such breasts exist is for the purpose of sexual exploitation, which he can't find sexy.

In short, please quit trying to claim that all men are on your side.
The only excuse is if they aren't into women.
Straight men like tatas, regardless, and usually don't "think of the children" right-off.

If all (straight) men were on my side I wouldn't be here calling those in denial a pack of liars.
You can stop trying to look cool in front of the women-folk now.

corvuscorrax

Sep 20, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Being such a crowded sea bound country, you can't blame the Japanese for wanting girls with huge... "tracts of land"
But THIS is a bit much.

<youtube=cNtlMjRqfQs>
What... the fuck... did I just witness?!

Almost every frame I was thinking 'OK, it's peaked now. This couldn't possibly get any more preposterous.'

and then a pair of tits managed to jiggle their way out of getting hit with a .50cal, I just... I don't even...
I guess that's how you know they're real.

When in doubt just shoot at her and if her tits don't malform to avoid the bullet than there ya go! If they're fake.... run like hell.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Battle Catman said:
I just wish these developers would realize there are other fetishes than just huge tits and young-looking women.

Do you have any idea how excited I was when Juri was announced for SSFIV? And Ibuki and Makoto? and Elena and Christie in SFxT, as well as Asuka's alt costume?

Do you see the common thread there?
I know exactly what you mean, I'm with on that one buddy. =D

Which gets me thinking, all this focus on breast technology. Can we get one, just ONE game that has good bare hands/feet texture. Feet and hands look great with gloves or shoes on, but once someone goes barefoot or grabs something with their bare hands, you look and a gotta ask, what is that THING supposed to be? Seriously, can attention be spent on this? It's disconcerting.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Being such a crowded sea bound country, you can't blame the Japanese for wanting girls with huge... "tracts of land"
But THIS is a bit much.

<youtube=cNtlMjRqfQs>
The original comic was drawn by a guy that draws hentai... I don't go to pre-schools to find strippers, and I wouldn't go to Sh&#333;ji Sat&#333; if I didn't want crazy amounts of tits everywhere. But mostly I do so I enjoy his work.

But DOA, their faces scare me more than their boobs.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Pretty sure the boob physics and character looks are relics of old technology. The boob physics are a simple inertia simulation, roughly a 3D version of putting a marble in a bowl and watching it spin around until it settles in place. I've seen that used as a low-CPU solution for all kinds of things, be it boobs (pretty common last gen actually), cloth, weapon attachments or whatever else they wanted to be "dynamic" with (there's a Tecmo sumo game on WiiWare, they use the exact same physics for the bellies of the sumos, interestingly the breasts on the female sumos are NOT handled by the algorithm). Except other people bothered to update their algorithms if not replace them with motion capture. The character designs are similar, the Dreamcast and PS2 didn't exactly have high texture resolutions, especially the PS2 was notorious among developers for requiring very clean and low detail textures to look good. Plus the whole 90s CG stuff, the early Resident Evil characters looked the same. Team Ninja just didn't get the memo that modern consoles can do more than that or maybe they developed a liking for that weird style.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i think this is the first time i disagree with Jim. here's why:

1. they're supposed to be unrealistic to a certain degree. Japanese style, anime style to be exact, they exaggerate the features because that's what fantasy and cartoons often do. that's kind of the point. they aren't supposed to look like very realistic women, they're supposed to be goddesses in a sense. beyond human and perfect.

2. let Team Ninja do whatever they want. it's not just pandering to their fans, because all artists are fans of their own work. it's what they want to do and they're gonna do it no matter what anybody says. and that's cool.

3. it may seem silly to some people but at the same time, everything is silly to somebody. if you don't like the style of DoA games than that's okay, but you don't need to insult the people who do like it, or make offensive generalizations like "only 13 year old boys would play this". that's not true at all and most DoA fans play it for the gameplay, it's a solid and fun fighting game. i've enjoyed it more than most, especially the 4 player tag-battles. it's sad that no other fighting game has this awesome feature.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
Wow. So THIS is how those boobs look like in motion? I'd think for people who put so much effort into it Team Ninja could really come up with more "sophisticated" boob physics.

Otherwise... Genital mutilation = big hentai breasts? Come on Jim. Western sensibilities aren't the only acceptable way just by default.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
matthew_lane said:
[

So here is the quesiton: Does it matter that boobs don't work like that?

An here's the answer: Nope.

So why is it still an issue, oh' benevolent Matthew, guy who is smarter then Jim?
Did I say it mattered?
That was a whole load of talking as if I actually thought it was an issue.
All I think about DOA is `look at the silly boobies`. Literally nothing more.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
GTwander said:
The only excuse is if they aren't into women. Straight men like ta-tas regardless...
Being male and heterosexual means being attracted to women. Women are not breasts. It is possible to be attracted to women without caring about their breasts, let alone requiring those breasts to be massive and jiggling like she has surgically implanted piston-driven engines inside them.

GTwander said:
...and usually don't "think of the children" right off.
I can't think of a way to say this that doesn't at least come close to violating the terms of use, so I'm just going to do my best on this one and say that I personally harbor serious questions about the emotional and sexual maturity of anyone whose reactions to breasts will always be the same regardless of the context those breasts appear in.

GTwander said:
If all (straight) men were on my side I wouldn't be here calling those in denial a pack of liars.
If you say they're lying about whose side they're on, then you're saying they're on yours.

GTwander said:
You can stop trying to look cool in front of the women-folk now.
My self-esteem is not quite so low that I require random internet women to sing my praises and laud me as one of their champions, and that is not my motivation for saying these things. I am saying these things because you are telling me that I am a straight man and therefore am indistinguishable from you in my tastes and preferences; and you are calling me a liar for believing that I have my own tastes different from your own. It's insulting and offensive, and you're doing it for no other reason than to try to make your position seem to have more validity than it does by claiming it has invisible but universal support.

I don't hate breasts, but I don't like them either. As a young man, I didn't like them much because I dislike my own nipples being played with, so I don't like to play with a woman's; as an older man, this was reinforced by a job in which breasts aren't much more than folds of fat hanging over a woman's ribs and forming a warm, moist place for her to get fungal infections. This is not deviant; this does not negate my heterosexuality; and this is not denial.

Don't tell me how I feel or what I am attracted to. You have neither the right nor the ability.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
matthew_lane said:
Once again, all I did was state my opinion.
MY opinion on DOA is `ha ha silly boobies`.
I am allowed that opinion, so deal.
I suggest quoting someone who wants to debate you.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Tenmar said:
I don't even have to listen to your entire episode to realize that Jim is just jumping on the bandwagon where every video game should be based on super realism and if it isn't realistic it shouldn't be made anymore. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't really care about the developers if they actually want to developer the games they want them to be developed. I should also mention that Jim is taking the most shallow point of view here completely negating that the games they have developed as a company have always been from average to good games but instead just focuses on the breasts because it's the hot topic of the month and allows him to be in an ivory tower and throw stones.

Yeah sure you can call the justification bullshit but have you ever thought about the marketing and research departments that are hired by Tecmo to do research on actual audiences to make sure that their game is actually well designed while sporting attractive characters that people are interested in playing?

I should also mention that the DOA girls are always going to be compared to monsters because despite the fact that from game to game the actual breast size due to all the criticisms of the franchise from people who DO NOT BUY THE GAME have actually been successful at reducing the breast size of all the DOA women.

If anything the tragedy here is that Jim and all those people who don't want characters like the DOA franchise or characters like this to exist no longer want developers to design games the way they want to but to just have everything be mundane and realistic as possible where if someone sees something that is out of proportion that as an individual whether they will buy the game or not they suddenly feel entitled to demand changes despite not having any sort of ownership or in a management position of Tecmo.

The core of the issue is that are we going to really respect game developers and actually let them design games the way they want them and let them succeed or fail as a business be it if they actually demonstrate due diligence to research and market their games appropriately. Or, are we going to let individuals who have no stake in the success of failure of a company and the potential hundreds or thousands of people working day in day out to develop a product we want to our own personal specifications. I'm sorry but if we are really going to respect games as a form of media realize that not everything has to be gender neutral, or 100% customization because that takes away from any sort of specific narrative or story that the game wants to tell the player. Let developers develop the games they want them to be developed.

EDIT: I should also mention that in the terms of eye candy department or when it comes to female characters standing out for the video game generations have actually gotten a lot smaller because of the religious right of video games.
It's funny watching people explode and write long defensive rants when someone points out how creepy their hobby is.