Jimquisition: Neutered

Teshi

May 8, 2010
Father Time said:
I can give another example too. Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare. Long story short, a man wants to marry a woman for her money. The woman is incredibly hostile and insults people a lot (hence shrew). He tames her by out-performing her in a 'be a terrible spouse' competition while pretending he's mistreating her in the name of love. And he's the hero of the story.

You can guess how that's been changed to make it more inclusive. And you can't tell me with a straight face that that wouldn't have stifled creativity if Shakespeare had made it today and had been pressured to make those changes.
This is an example that proves the opposing point, if anything. Despite the content of Taming of the Shrew, and despite the era in which it was created, Shakespeare's body of work is not generally viewed as exclusionary toward women. Why? Because he wrote a variety of stories, with a wide variety of female characters, both as protagonists and antagonists, in addition to supporting characters. He wrote some of the juiciest female roles in theater past or present. Even the titular "Shrew" is an interesting character, actually, despite the problematic elements of the play. The diversity and variety of his plots and characters means that even if one finds certain elements grating, there are other elements to enjoy.

Which is what most people who are calling for greater diversity in gaming want.

MEsoJD

Aug 13, 2013
I don't agree that games must cater to all taste or people (Dark Souls). I prefer the artist create whatever they so desire and let people vote with their wallets. I like Jim, but he really comes off as preachy sometimes. Nothing is inherently wrong with Dragons Crowns art direction or games viewed as sexualizing certain characters or genders.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
kailus13 said:
I think more games need to panda.

I don't think Saints Row is the best example to use. A game where you can create your own character shouldn't be compared to a game where the characters are already created for you.

Also, people might be worrying that characters like the sorceress wouldn't be allowed if detractors got their way, which would be stifling creativity somewhat.

More character diversity would be nice though.
I agree, we need more pandas. It would be nice to play as one outside of WoW and Tekken.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
This is a touchy subject. I don't think it is unreasonable to say that there are some individuals, such as the vocal "feminists", that simply have a diametrically opposing view of what is acceptable/fun to them and therefore what is necessary to be "inclusive" by alluring them to the hobby, compared to other core elements of the gaming community. Saying "find more creativity" in reference to dealing with their requests (or demands) isn't the answer - the question is, as an artform, should all games be encouraged or even forced to acquiesce?

It is even more worrisome about how "creativity" was referenced in this episode. Its a little like being an evolutionary biologist professor teaching a science class, and having varying forms of flat earth and creationists joining the class and demanding that you bend your curriculum to appeal to their beliefs to be "inclusive" ; which mind you, means that you are going to have to generally reject aspects of your current curriculum which are opposed to them, lest they stamp their feet and say that you're not being sensitive to everyone in the class. Now, saying "Hey, its BORING to just assert that this is evolution and science as we understand it and thereby offend them. Instead, be CREATIVE and find the mental gymnastics necessary to rectify those two opposing schools of thought and make everyone happy!" I don't believe is how one should deal with this issue, especially as any theories that came up sufficient to entice the creationists would by nature have "watered down, or neutered" the core science curricula (while probably not even being truly sufficient for the creationists hardcores) and make the rest of your students wonder why you're even wasting your and their time, ruining your lesson content, all to cater to people who's arguments have absolutely no merit or bearing in terms of scientific content - you're running a science class, not a religion class. This, is in many ways the circumstance we have regarding some of those vocal elements of the "Gaming must change to be politically correct" caste.

Inclusiveness is great, but we can only go so far. Saint's Row IV and Mass Effect are very inclusive in terms of gender and sexual alignment, as are Skyrim and many other "create or customize your own hero" games. This is a good thing. Giving people options is always a benefit. However, when someone says that GTA 5 should have a female protagonist, or that X game is lacking Y characters who are Z color/gender etc... this becomes a problem. Sometimes, someone wants to tell a story or provide an experience, and it is not some insult aimed at a person or group of people that the main character doesn't share your race or gender, or includes certain tropes etc... Watching the insinuations of these groups, such as those god-awful Anita Sarkeesian videos, it becomes obvious that making this particular group of people happy will require a huge change to the point that gaming would indeed be neutered.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
grumpymooselion said:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I still would not want to get rid of or change Dragon's Crown. Dragon's Crown did nothing wrong. It's a style, one style, amongst many. It should exist. This style should exist and be used. No it shouldn't go away. It shouldn't judged for doing it either. Just like I said last time.

Why?

Because neither should any other stylistic choice. I want them all. I get in different moods. The more practically clothes styles, the in the middle styles, the games that let me pick any style the various variations in between all the extremes and the things beyond. I want them all. Every single one. I don't want a single one to go away. I don't think a single one is wrong for doing what they do.

As for gender, I love male and female characters as they are. I love male and female characters as they could be otherwise as well. I want all the variations. Variety. I want it all. I don't want just one thing. I want the market to be flooded with variety, and I do not, ever, want someone pointing at one of the styles of male or female heroes and how they are clothed, regardless of how it is, and screaming, "You should not be doing that." I want it all. Dragon's Crown is one style, and it deserves to exist as readily as anything else, and all those other possibilities deserve to exist and be stylized.
Nobody is saying these games should go away. We'd just like them to be one of a choice, not the only choice available.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
First: As I said before, people don't want sexy characters to go away. They just want different kinds of sexy characters, not just the same old same old.
If you genuinely think that all people want that, then I believe you are mistaken. There are many people such as myself who would like more variety of characters. But the people who look at characters such as Bayonetta/The Sorceress and so on and don't complain that that they are sexual, but that they are sexist are not the kind of people who merely want more variety. They are saying there is something wrong with the characters themselves, not the trend they are a part of.

Sexism is bad.
Saying something is sexist is saying that it is bad.
I sincerely doubt that anybody who thinks games are sexist think "It's okay if some games are, as long as it is not all of them".

Second: BioWare didn't make the ending the complainers wanted. They changed their ending, on their terms.

People wanted Shep. to be able to live. They didn't get that(I still say that one end where we see Shep. breathing is just bull to be ignored).
People wanted a way to beat the Reapers with out the Star child's help. Those that took that path(shot him) got a continued Reaper cycle.

I once had a short talk with Grey about that in the comments of his comic. And he explained exactly what they needed to do, and what they did eventually, and then some.

They just had to explain the ending more to the audience. ME2 starts with Shep. dying in the most extreme way they could think of. Shep should not have survived. But soon after, we get him/her right back. Why wasn't there THAT much hate for this? Because they took their time to explain it, and that it wasn't easy or simple. That is what they do with the changes to the end of ME3.
The major parts of it stay the same(with a few exceptions like the relays not being destroyed completely), and adding extra scenes in that gave us more information about what was going on.

Even after all that it's still a bit unclear completely what the end means, but most people found it to be enough.

I am with Jim 100% on his side of the ME3 end altering. In the end everyone could complain all they want, but Bioware had the final call. They heard what people were saying, and chose to change the end a bit because they wanted to. They looked at their work, and decided that they could deal with changing their artistic vision.
IF they really had faith in the ending, and had no doubts that it was the was it was meant to be. They would have stuck with it.

They didn't give in because "the fans forced them". They did it because the fans convinced them that they had a point. And in the end I think they found a good middle way to improve the work without changing it into something completely different.
I am almost entirely in agreement with this. You are correct in saying that they did not change the games to pander to complaints, and I was wrong when I said that. They did not "change" the ending so much as expand upon it, as you said.

However the point I was really getting at as that they changed their product in response to complainers. Not by retconning the ending, but by releasing the Extended Cut they still did not stick with their "artistic vision", they decided to alter it to please some people.

You are correct in saying that it was their decision to do so, if they felt strongly enough they could have stuck to their guns. But when it comes to a company owned by EA, then I sincerely doubt "Sticking to your principles and losing money" is what they would consider "acceptable".

People accuse Microsoft of not having faith in their vision for the Xbox One, but I genuinely think they believed it was a good idea. But faced with the fact that seemingly the entire online gaming community despised it, they chose to backtrack because they would have lost millions if they hadn't.

That is still their fault rather than the consumers I guess, but for those who were happy with the original design, I think it is understandable that they were upset by the decision, and the principle is the same for game design. People who like something don't want the developers to take it away due to complaints, and I think that is a reasonable belief.

As for the complaint about sexism in The Last of Us and Bioshock? I never really heard of such complaints until the article on the escapist about Naughty Dogs response to it. And I don't think you can argue(well) that asking for more types of female characters has lost us more creative things that the current precedent that women characters that aren't sexualized can't sell games.

Heck, look at the games you brought up. Bioshock Infinite couldn't have Elisabeth on the front cover, The Last of Us had to fight to get Ellie on the front, and to get women in to test out the game. There is no need to worry about a terrible precedent being put in the industry because there already is one.
This one I cannot agree with. They could have had Elizabeth on the front cover, but they made the cover to appeal to the COD crowd. Before the Jim mentioned it in his video, nobody based the cover on a gender issue, it was about trying to appeal to the shooter crowd. Nobody working on the game mentioned gender at all.

The Last of Us is one of the few games in recent years to make a female central character. They also released the game amongst a huge debate over gender in video games. They claimed an unnamed publisher objected to her being prominent on the cover (not on there at all) and they claimed they had to specifically request female game testers, not fight for them.

It was a fantastic PR move when you think about it. It has an underdog kind of ring to it. The developer standing up against the evil publisher and fighting for the right to have women in their games. The amount of people who posted in the news stories saying they were going to buy the game just to support them shows what an excellent idea that announcement was.

Look. There is something I want to make clear to both of you.
I like you two. You're cool people, and I enjoy seeing you around the Escapist.
Well then you have lost all credibility, because you are quite clearly insane.

That said, while I can understand what it is you're worried about, and I agree if the change were to come the way you're afraid it will, it would be bad.
However, from my perspective it just seems very less than likely, and hard to even say possible. I just don't see these fears ever coming true.

For the benefit of the doubt though; lets say that we start seeing the jiggle physics "go away"(even in the doom of doom results I don't think it would go away completely).

To paraphrase MoveiBob, who was always and still is on the side that the ME3 ending shouldn't have been changed; "If these things we are trying to keep can be lost, by just having a reasoned discussion about them. What is the real value of what we are trying to protect?"

Would keeping the abundance of Jiggle Physics, be worth not seeing different types of sexy characters more often, if that really was the sacrifice we would have to make?

Again, I don't even think we have to lose the Jiggle to gain the other types. We won't be seeing less of it. We would be seeing more of other things.
Well you are right and wrong with this.

You are right in the point you are making.

You are wrong in suggesting I am in any shape or form worried about it, because I genuinely don't care if they do disappear. I only own two games that have sexually designed characters and neither of them have the sexiness as the main selling point (BloodRayne and Skullgirls). I don't really care for sexualised characters and I certainly don't lose any sleep over the idea that games might not have them. I don't like "fan service" in general, I at best can tolerate it.

I wasn't making my point because I think it would happen.

My issue is with people complaining non-stop about not getting the games that they want. Games are an optional form of entertainment, not a right. People have the right to complain yes, and they have the right to want developers to do different things, but the way many people act it comes across as a demand, not a request. As if game developers owe different demographics games that suit their wishes.

That goes for all debates, not just gender, but we very rarely hear anybody claim about the lack of homosexual, black, hispanic or non-English protagonists, which is why it probably seems that my opinion is limited to the gender discussion. If people behaved the way they do in regards to gender in gaming with other aspects, my attitude would remain the same. And I don't like the stereotypical "grissly, white male protagonist" either. I much prefer playing as female characters.

It's why I stopped visiting the Bioware forums. Every other thread was demanding changes in one way or another or accusing them of being various nasty things just because they decided to do something in their game that some fans didn't like.

Game developers spend thousands of hours and millions of dollars making games. Nobody has the right to tell them what they "should" be making or that they are "wrong" for making something if they don't like it. Games are a luxury item, not a requirement, so the idea that they "should" cater to all tastes is just childishly naive.

Sorry to be so long. I hope you both have good days, and better weeks.
=w= b
Pffft, don't apologise. I much prefer being responded to by people who actually think their posts through no matter how long they are, over those who make a quick snarky remark and move on.

That said, I won't be continuing this discussion any further. Nothing against you, I enjoyed reading your response, but I have generally speaking been trying to avoid gender related topics (I don't even know what Part 3 of Tropes vs Women is about), and coming into this one has simply reminded me why. I find them quite tiresome overall and I was pretty idiotic joining this one in the first place.

Also, Thank God for Jim.
Amen

Mahemium

Apr 18, 2013
I saw the mention of GTAV lacking a female protagonist, as though it's an issue. No one criticizes The Godfather, Reservoir Dogs, Heat, Scarface or any classic crime film for lacking a female crim, because that's very simply how the criminal sphere is. Why the double standard? I don't see why films can be well received for brutal honesty, whilst video games are considered backwards for lacking gender equality.

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
When I read the blurb at the bottom of your video while it was loading....
I thought you were talking about the shenanigans wherein a game (like an RPG) has its "appeal broadened" and it becomes more... at this current time, more "frat-boy-shootery" because that's the "ideal" market atm.
But that kind of bullshitery was only brought up at the end. (cause you've already talked about how bad that is)

All in all, there really should be more equality in games... and the guys who are complaining about having their games "neutered"... are probably the same guys who raised hell on the Bioware forums when Anders "raped" them in DA2.
Which was one of the only good things about DA2 in my opinion. (the inclusivity of having the LIs be player-sexual: Isabella is always bi, but Merrill and Anders are either gay or straight depending on your PC's gender. At least they appear to be given no dialogue to the contrary.)

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Mahemium said:
I saw the mention of GTAV lacking a female protagonist, as though it's an issue. No one criticizes The Godfather, Reservoir Dogs, Heat, Scarface or any classic crime film for lacking a female crim, because that's very simply how the criminal sphere is. Why the double standard? I don't see why films can be well received for brutal honesty, whilst video games are considered backwards for lacking gender equality.
All of those have interesting female characters, with the exception of Reservoir Dogs. Now I'm not among the critics calling for an additional female protagonist there, but there's something to be said for other crime thrillers like Out of Sight and Jackie Brown.

I'm also - oddly - not very interested in GTA V.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
animeh1star1a said:
I disagree. Being focused can created fantastic experiences, while being versatile can very well do the same. Not every game should have a character creator, just as not all books should be first-person-prospective-choose-your-own-adventure books. For example, would the walking dead have been a better game if you could have changed Clementine or Lee's gender, age, height, and skin color? Character Creators definitely have their place, but so too does static, unchanging, predesignated characters.
Very true, and you picked a perfect example there. The characters of the Walking Dead game are so close to perfect that I would say they border on the sacred.
But I still can't help but wonder, how much would be "lost" if you could change Lee's gender, skin colour, voice etc.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
More like "It's likely not a coincidence we're using a term commonly associated with the removal of testicles to aggravate a group of people who would rather not be associated with it".

I wouldn't argue that creativity is being limited because some people have a problem with some games. Support inclusive games. I don't care. But if a game is going to not be inclusive then too bad, it isn't being made for you. I don't like Dragon's Crown's pandering. But it's allowed to do it, and I don't think it's sexist either.

Your point about language though is silly. Yes it may be creative or challenging to invent turns of phrase. Largely the opposition to turns of phrase that are often labelled 'casual mysogyny' or 'casual racism' is not that the user is being uncreative, it's that they're bad things to say and shouldn't be said. To which I say fuck that, I say what I want, and stick to those turns of phrase because I don't mean anything discriminatory and the critics need to realise that before they start pointing the finger. Just because a group of people makes a fuss about something I see as an invalid concern doesn't mean I should alter my language for them. Furthermore, you can't parody stereotypes with new phrases. Defeats the point.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Skyrim with mods is probably the best example of what people REALLY want. One of the most popular things aside from the main official patches are the character creators and skeleton replacers and make your game look prettier with better npcs. You can't look at characters, armor or npcs without coming across a few terms like ADEC, CBBE, TBBP. They stand for, Acdale's Eye candy, Caliente's Big Bottom Edition, Tender Body and Busts Physics. Are people alienated that these exist or the fact they were made by people and supported by many others mean deep down people really embrace this stuff?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Thanatos2k said:
I wouldn't have cared if JC (JessiCa?) Denton was a woman, and I'd hope women don't care that he was a man.
Okay, so, you're a girl, a little girl. You are, as all children (and most adults) are, trying to figure out what the world is and where you fit into it. You're constantly on the lookout for people to help you figure things out, because the world is confusing. Identity is confusing. You don't know it at the time because you're a kid and you've only barely even learned to think, but you're trying to find someone who can help you be the person you will one day be.

The only thing you know is that you are girl. You know it because everyone tells you all the time. Your clothes tell you that, the way your mother styles your hair tells you that. Your toys tell you that. Okay, fine, you're girl! That's okay. That's a good place to start figuring things out. So what is girl? Girl is not boy, you know that already--even a child who hasn't learned how to think picked up on that real early--but that's not a useful answer to you because you don't need to know what you're not; you need to know what you are.

So you look at the world, observing it like the larval form of a scientist, observing it and categorizing the results and trying to turn the data into useful information. You look at TV and you find that girl is pretty, girl is never fat and only rarely ever messy in her appearance, so you file away that appearance is important to be girl. You go to McDonald's and you find out girl likes ponies and princesses, so you file that away too. You go to movies and you find out that there is usually only one girl in the world, and she only ever talks to men and always ends up being their girlfriend, so you file that away too.

You go to video games and you find there's really no one like you in video games. The girls there are weird, they're off, and eventually you realize it's because they never do anything. They just have things done to them, usually by men, and they only exist when a man is doing things to them. Then they go away and stop existing until the man thinks about them again. You still aren't totally sure what girl is, but you know for a fact that's not right: You exist all the time, and you do things instead of having things done to you. For a long time, you decide that video games are full of crap and their teachings should be ignored because they don't know anything. One day, though, one inevitable day you're not really even thinking about it when a question occurs to you, the first question a child ever asks about anything:

Why?

Why are video games telling you that girl is a thing that never acts on its own and that only exists in relationship to a man? Is it because video games think that's what girl is, or (and you don't want to think this, you're kind of horrified and hurt to think this, but it's too late and you can't stop the thought from occurring to you) is it because that's what video games want girl to be? And if that's it, why? Are they afraid of girl? Do they hate girl? Do they fear and hate you?

--

Let's drop the roleplaying (though you could fit almost anything in the place of the word "girl" into my example as long as it's not "straight, white man;" try "gay," "transgender," or "black"). The point I'm getting at is that you, Thanatos2k, are in a position where you don't have to care that JC Denton is male, because you have so many males to choose from. Women don't have that many choices. JC Denton may only be one character in one game...but so is every character in every game, and when you look at how all those one characters and one games add up, certain conclusions are inescapable. The video games industry doesn't want women to be part of it, which is really weird (their money is worth exactly as much as a man's money) but tolerable. What's more, it doesn't like women. That last one is the one that stings.