Jimquisition: Previewed, Preordered, Prescrewed

G3

Feb 18, 2013
This just begs for some kind of website that lists the games by developer. Then, what was accomplished technologically, and what was the reception, and how many hours the average joe will get from the game.

Some games you spend 60 and play for 3, so 20 bucks an hour.

Or like all of us with GTA3, we spent 50 and played it for so many hours it worked out to like a penny an hour.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
INeedAName said:
I'm glad my local gaming store don't charge for pre-orders, so there's really no drawback to pre-ordering a game you're excited for. I don't live in America, though, and I don't know how usual that is...
As much as I dislike GameStop, I have to give them props here. You put $5 down for a pre-order. You can get it back anytime and have a week after release to go in and pay the rest and pick your game up. So you can wait for reviews of the game. And if when the reviews come out, it's garbage, you go back and collect your $5, no worse for the wear.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
INeedAName said:
there's really no drawback to pre-ordering a game you're excited for.
People were excited for Aliens: Colonial Marines. The drawback is that they are taking your money for a shitty product. And you only find out that it's shitty after they've taken your money.

I canceled my pre-order for Bioshock: Infinite yesterday. So now I have no games on my pre-order list. Even though I'm almost 100% sure it's gonna be a good game. And that's OK. Not pre-ordering is not a big deal, people. Bonuses these companies come up with don't mean a god damn thing if the game itself is not worth the money.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Never ever preordered games before.

I always waited for a bunch of reviews to come out so that I could see what the game was actually like.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I think the last game I pre-ordered was Dragon Age 2, if not that it was Fable 3 and either one of those would have been an excellent reason for me to have never pre-ordered again. I was actually really close to pre-ordering Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 on the Wii U but I never noticed that Amazon wouldn't let me pre-order that game...I didn't know it was digital only until launch day and I'm still pissed that I can't buy my own copy of it on the U.

Guy Jackson said:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers, Jim
What Guy said. I know there are people here on the forums and visitors to the site who haven't pre-ordered for a long time if at all this generation but you just know that for every level-headed person who looks before they spend, there are at least a dozen more people who think to themselves, "Oh shit, I better go to Gamestop and pre-order Madden 14 just in case I can't get my copy of day one!"

What I really hate about pre-order bonuses though is the amount of stuff developers give away that isn't physical. A good pre-order incentive would be something like an art-book, a soundtrack CD and, maybe some game-specific extras (the New Vegas Special Edition for example). Hell the last really spectacular pre-order bonus I saw that was specifically a pre-order bonus and not a limited edition bonus was way the Hell back for Dynasty Warriors 4, where Gamestop would give you a hardbound art book big enough to crush small dogs and potentially children. Also, wasn't it common at one point to get T-Shirts with a pre-order? I want more T-shirts dammit.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This is why I only pre-order Nintendo games. Besides their track record, they don't hold game content for ransom.

Skyward Sword gave you a gold controller and free soundtrack. Kid Icarus Uprising gave you a code to download the original Kid Icarus for free. Fire Emblem Awakening gave you an artbook. New Super Mario Bros 2 gave you a coin.

Fun stuff, but I still get a full, complete game whether I bought it pre-ordered, new or used. The only big trend I've seen is timed DLC deals, like offering a retro course pack for free for some time in NSMB2 or offering a new map pack for free in Fire Emblem until March. And it's free stuff, so I ain't complaining.

I've never needed to input a code for a game. I go put in codes at Club Nintendo because they give me free stuff if I put in the extra time and effort, not because there's a chunk of the game missing.

They earned my pre-orders.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I pre-order all the time, but rarely actually pre-pay. Bioware taught me that lesson well.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
Preorders normally do not sell games to me anyway... I ordered Xcom:E.U. as a preorder but because I had seen enough to be certain that I wanted it... OK I'll admit the difficulty spike eventually killed it for me... but I have no reason to regret ordering pre-order.

The problem is when games like these as shown in Jim's piece. It is a minority that breaks the trust of the majority... I will be thinking twice about pre-ordering especially as the majority of games will not "run out" due to other online options.

The market will not change unless there is a substantial change in consumer patterns, and this is the problem as although people are smart, some are not savvy to the way they are being abused and the media are not likely to bring up this unless it really affects a substantial proportion of the country's population.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
I have this policy to never buy games in their first year.
There are multiple reasons to do so:
- The price is lowered
- I know REALLY how the game is, reviews and videos are availlable
- Patches are released
- Bundles (all DLC/pre-order stuff included) are released

Best example is FONV, i bought the GOTY edition. I saved money and nerves.
I absolutly don't understand how someone can pro-order a game or even buy it right after release.
You get the worst edition for the highest amount of money.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Totally in agreement. I stopped doing preorders back during the PS2 era after being burned way too many times, the only time I do it anymore is when I absolutely know in advance I will enjoy what I'm getting, or would have bought it no matter what reviews went through. So basically just Bioshock Infinite and Fire Emblem: Awakening. And even then, Fire Emblem got short stocked so I had to buy an eShop copy or wait longer for mine to come in.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
Mass Effect 3 is what got me out of preordering games, this just confirms it for more people.

I honestly hope people take this to heart and don't preorder games based on previews or brand recogn....

So much for that idea.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/bioshock-infinite-na/
$10-$17 off for preordering. I think Jim and TB both neglected to say anything that really would always be against pre ordering a game for an actually tangible and significant benefit (It's so fucking rare a preorder bonus is significant they can't be blamed). For context: aliens pre-order came with fucking multiplayer skins. And it's from gearbox, who to my knowledge were heavily involved in duke nukem forever.

It's a risk versus reward scenario: In aliens the potential reward was fucking tiny and the risk was this scenario playing out right now.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Mr. Omega said:
This is why I only pre-order Nintendo games. Besides their track record, they don't hold game content for ransom.

Skyward Sword gave you a gold controller and free soundtrack. Kid Icarus Uprising gave you a code to download the original Kid Icarus for free. Fire Emblem Awakening gave you an artbook. New Super Mario Bros 2 gave you a coin.

Fun stuff, but I still get a full, complete game whether I bought it pre-ordered, new or used. The only big trend I've seen is timed DLC deals, like offering a retro course pack for free for some time in NSMB2 or offering a new map pack for free in Fire Emblem until March. And it's free stuff, so I ain't complaining.

I've never needed to input a code for a game. I go put in codes at Club Nintendo because they give me free stuff if I put in the extra time and effort, not because there's a chunk of the game missing.

They earned my pre-orders.
Another bonus about Nintendo and other Japanese games is that they usually release early in Japan (Though Nintendo has been weird about this lately), so you are able to preview footage of the game, unlike Western were pre-ordering is always a gamble.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Very good episode, that's why we like you Jim! And also because you are our lord and savior, of course.

Oh and that opening sequence where baseball bat and CM:A met, can someone turn it into a gif? Pretty please? :D

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Legion said:
I completely agree with this one, but the sad thing is that there will be so many who don't. Who for some bizarre reason think you can't "really be a fan" unless you take everything they say/promise as Gospel. Or if you do point out that they are doing anything wrong you will be told that you are "Just trying to be cynical/edgy."

I am not sure why gaming seems to be exempt from so many basic consumer rights and advertising laws to be honest. Or why people seem to think that it's okay to be like that.
"Cynical/edgy?" Well at least they're not calling me "entitled" anymore whatever that ended up meaning.

Considering how much business they do in pre-orders now, publishers should no longer be allowed to put gag orders on reviewers. It's perfectly reasonable to allow the consumer to make an informed decision.

I always thought pre-ordering was a little silly but LA Noir was what really turned me off to it. That game's auctioning off of gameplay content to different retailers reeked of such desperation, it turned that game from a must buy to a probably rent.

It's a shame that publishers have taken advantage of gamers so much this generation that what was once a fan driven industry is becoming an us vs them industry.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I learned the hard way to no longer pre-order games... thanks to Brink... yeah. I also pre-ordered Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition, wich I don't regret buying one bit, but Brink... God, that game made me want to punch a bag full of puppies.

This past weekend I bought Divinity 2 from GOG at $10 and you know what?, that game is waaaay funnier than most AAA games that has come out in the last few years.

How come a $10 game has much more value and even has more content than a $60 game with season passes and bloated pre-order willy nillies?. Just for the record, The Witcher 2 was also at a $10 discount this past weekend, I bought it at $15 and I still thought it was a steal, while many AAA RPGs just blatantly like to rip off their customers.

Have you seen Destiny's pre-order stuff along with Bungies' interview about the game?, holy shit, these guys have a pretty high horse to sit their asses on.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Another thing that grinds my gears is that the codes to unlock the things that are supposed to be IN the games you preorderd have EXPIRATION DATES!!! It's GODDAMN SOFTWARE!!! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE AVAILABLE WHENEVER I WANT!!! Why do they only have a limited window to get the goodies I want THAT WAS PROMISED TO ME WHEN I GAVE GAMESTOP $5???!!!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Legion said:
I completely agree with this one, but the sad thing is that there will be so many who don't. Who for some bizarre reason think you can't "really be a fan" unless you take everything they say/promise as Gospel. Or if you do point out that they are doing anything wrong you will be told that you are "Just trying to be cynical/edgy."

I am not sure why gaming seems to be exempt from so many basic consumer rights and advertising laws to be honest. Or why people seem to think that it's okay to be like that.
"Cynical/edgy?" Well at least they're not calling me "entitled" anymore whatever that ended up meaning.
Maybe that's old school, but back when I started on here, they were the current negative buzz words. I think that was partially due to MaxTheReaper being a self proclaimed sociopath though...

Now it's all about the entitlement and whining, which was actually more relevant to what I said I guess. People think you are acting entitled if you expect a game to be released without any major bugs in them. Or if you expect characters that would have once been unlocked by beating the game on the disc rather than a DLC you have to pay for.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Hey Jim,

Welcome to the club of the bittersweet, snarky and disillusioned.

It took me about $500 worth of crap games before I gave up on preordering.

I never liked DLC and preorder exclusives, as I believe they're creating an artificial consumerist elite. On the other hand, I do like special editions and figurines of stuff I really, really like. I think it's good to have choices and be allowed to throw money at things that might make one happy.

I don't think it's good to live on promises and well communicated hot air lies.

To be honest, just judging from the stance of my not always very humble self and, say, a dozen of the folks that share my gaming pastime, the DLC and preordering cultist schemes cost the industry an easy average $50,000 in the last three years from the very diversified bunch of us alone, and none of us have taken to piracy. We've just found other things to throw money at. Things that don't lie to us, things that make us happy. Like guns, dogs, cattle, motorbikes, cars and ass-old consoles. Bigger cars to haul those 160lbs CRT screens around that allow us to enjoy the old computers and consoles without having to resort to picture processing and emulation.

Right now, I pretty much despise Randy Pitchford. I think I know how the game is played, but going for smoke and mirrors and hiring bottom-feeding studios to create a "Gearbox" game is pretty low - if I misunderstood it and that statement is not valid, please let me rephrase it thusly: hiring some studio to create a "Gearbox" game is risky and stupid, methinks. Selling the resulting crap is quite offensive, no matter what goodies, figurines or DLC codes you pack in. It's all for nothing, as the actual game really, really is terribly bad.