Jimquisition: Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
m19 said:
Evonisia said:
If Jim keeps making these predictions I'm pretty sure every big publisher is going to explode into burning money come year's end.

I find it weird that the only financial point on Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity in this video came in the form of "the previous game sold more on the PS4". Tomb Raider 2013 took seven million sales to become profitable, the Xbox One doesn't even have seven million households with one inside yet. Then again, it's obviously a timed exclusive so oh well.
Not exactly. At 6 million it is "exceeding profit expectations" and is (according to SE) on route to becoming the best sold entry in the franchise. And it became profitable somewhere towards the end of that year.
Well then, forgive me for misreading. It's been a while since I checked the "has finally become profitable" article on whatever website it was.

Ten Foot Bunny said:
It won't just be the publishers. If Jim is as spot-on as he was last week, then we can expect to see the following announcement from Microsoft within the hour:

"Playstation 4 will be exclusive to Xbox One this December"

Can you imagine? o_O
Well, you can run a PS4 through an Xbox One (or at least something similar to that) with reduced smoothness so it would be a good fit. And I say that as an Xbox One owner.

Ariseishirou said:
Evonisia said:
If Jim keeps making these predictions I'm pretty sure every big publisher is going to explode into burning money come year's end.

I find it weird that the only financial point on Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity in this video came in the form of "the previous game sold more on the PS4". Tomb Raider 2013 took seven million sales to become profitable, the Xbox One doesn't even have seven million households with one inside yet. Then again, it's obviously a timed exclusive so oh well.
Well that offers an idea as to how we the consumers could get them to cut this shit out. Timed exclusive? Everyone who has the other console(s) boycotts it. Force them to nut up and make an actual exclusive if they want to pull this shit. See how much they like it when the new Tomb Raider has less than a million sales because they chose to put it exclusively on a console where that was inevitable.

Anybody with me?
Heh, that would still allow me to feel free to buy it. Everyone else, know yourselves out. Whether I buy it or not it cannot possibly be profitable off the Xbox One alone. Still I hate that one console (regardless of which one it is) is the guinea pig group for the game so the other consoles/PC get the GOTY edition later on.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Can you predict all these companies going down in flames. Although in truth I don't blame the companies any more, I blame the consumers who continually buy their stuff despite all the shitty things they do.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Chuppi said:
That kind of dickery is not really new, isn´t it ?
More than 10 Years ago, Microsoft wrapped their greasy fingers around Halo, that was originaly scheduled for a realease on PC and made it an exclusive title for their first X-Box.
It's not new, but until Microsoft got involved in the industry it was rare. Every other console manufacturer had first and second party development teams that were talented and made some great exclusives that were exclusive because they paid to have them made in the first place. Even now, Nintendo and Sony still develop their own stuff.

Microsoft came in with next to nothing in the way of first party developers, tried to buy their way there a bit by starting some teams, and buying Rare, but nothing has ever really come of any of their efforts because they are a bureaucratic mess of a company that wouldn't know how to develop a good game if someone came in and offered to do it for them if they just fund it. So now they're still buying exclusives. But they aren't even really doing that here because we all know that almost nothing from a major publisher these days is actually exclusive for more than a few months to a year.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Bolo The Great said:
Remember when we all used to joke about paid Demos? Like it was this ridiclous thing that exemplified the money grubbing and content lite excess of some sections of the industry. Like it was some kind of ludicrous example of how mad the games industry COULD go but never would because it was so transparently morally and creatively bankrupt.

"Yeah those guys just want to sell us paid demos one day lol"

Well we're not fucking laughing anymore are we. If i told you 10 years ago people would be paying, just straight being charged, for demos you would presume there would be gamers rioting in the streets.
Next up is paying for patches. You know, because it took work for the devs to make them, so they should be compensated.

Sound insane? Capcom's halfway there. EA or Ubisoft will be the first to actually do it though.

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Didn't Square Enix say that Tomb Raider was a failure because it didn't sell an obscene amount of copies?

So now they want to make it exclusive to the xbone and hope it sells an obscene amount of copies?

That exclusivity purchase must of been a shit ton of money.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
Umm Jim you do realize that 360 is where this whole timed exclusive (also lying about it) started right? 360 had atleast a dozen timed exclusives that MS claimed to be full exclusives in it's early years in older to falsify a sense of value for the 360, that's (as well as lower price point more advertising, Sony being stupid ect.) why it sold more in the early years not because it was a better product *cough* RROD *cough*

But yeah it's getting worse this gen and I'm sick of it, I'm sitting this gen out for the foreseeable future.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Jim is getting pretty broken about now. I seriously think he needs a nerf when the escapist get round to their next patch.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I recall when Msoft did this for Silent Hill 2 and I raged super hard. They did it for Skyrim and I got kinda peeved. Thankfully by now I just don't care anymore. I can see how it sucks for people that actually care about the titles though.

If it doesn't come to PC, I don't buy it. And even if it does (especially if it does when crap like this goes on) I wait for some Steam super sale to pick it up. If it weren't for sales, I'd never buy it.

Thanks be to God Jim only uses his powers for justice otherwise we'd have a real problem on our hands.

Second World

Feb 9, 2012
I don't get how Tomb Raider exclusivity matters. Didn't Square call the first game an absolute failure for having poor sales during initial release and incredible sales over the long-term?

And in the long-term, the sequel won't be an exclusive anymore. Here's hoping the game is buggy garbage on XBONE and sales never top 200k until the exclusivity is lifted.

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
This guy is cute he thinks he is special because he can use simple logic to predict retarded shit the industry will do. I predicted the sun would rise every single day for the past 20 years and shall do for ht enext few thousand. Behold MY godly power!

I also predict there will be hurricanes and tornados this year that destroy thousands of lives one hurricane will have the strength to make it from Florida all the way to Cannada at least the rain and some of its winds will which will happen next year.

Jim shall lose some weight and nobody will have noticed by the end of this year.

The escapist will continue to allow Zero Punctuation to post troll like reviews similar to how Duke Nukem had three different videos only one being legit one of which shall appear by this time next year.

Although having out a new model as of last year the Xbox 360 will slowly die off next year due to lack of support eventually turning the way of Nintendo and having its online functions cut.

Speaking of Nintendo they will dominate this console generation simply by its extensively growing list of exclusives.

Nintendo will also find a new way to piss off gamers by the end of this year with whatever issue they introduced like more copyright nonsense or cutting features from older Nintendo systems. Caint wait for my Nintendo Wii to lost online functions...wait bit late on that.

Also Battlefield Hardline will release next year at a time compeating with another shooter at the time and it will be the superior product unlike with the Call of Duty Ghosts/Battlefield 4 release. This time the game will function as an FPS, still remaining fairly borken in areas requiring a patch week 1.

This time next year I will be quoted at least by myself to brag about how any of these predictions came true. Thank God for Jim Sterling and thank Evolution for me.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
praetor_alpha said:
Deathfish15 said:
Jim, I really didn't mind you doing over and over again the "Thank God for me", but your ego is getting so big that it might overshadow EA's greed. Do you see how *****ed up that is?! Tune it down a bit, ol' boy, tune it down!
I agree.

Jim, your personality comes off no better than the companies you criticize. Yes, you are right, but I'm not going to "Thank God" for someone who is so full of himself.
When Jim is on screen he acts like an insufferable prick as a joke, he is not actually that full of himself.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Chuppi said:
More than 10 Years ago, Microsoft wrapped their greasy fingers around Halo, that was originaly scheduled for a realease on PC and made it an exclusive title for their first X-Box.
And the problem is that it worked, beyond all dreams of avarice (okay, maybe most dreams). And from there it's been a race to the bottom at a steadily-increasing pace.

A lot of companies seem to think that gamers are some bottomless wellspring of money. They're in for a shock when the market finally collapses because they've been digging out the foundation.

Oh, also:

praetor_alpha said:
Deathfish15 said:
Jim, I really didn't mind you doing over and over again the "Thank God for me", but your ego is getting so big that it might overshadow EA's greed. Do you see how *****ed up that is?! Tune it down a bit, ol' boy, tune it down!
I agree.

Jim, your personality comes off no better than the companies you criticize. Yes, you are right, but I'm not going to "Thank God" for someone who is so full of himself.
You've never met Jimothy Sterling, I suppose. What you see here is a persona. Outside of it the guy is entirely personable and fairly humble.

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
I cannot control the visions that come to me. Such is my blessing, and my curse.
How does it feel to also have predicted steams latest update including the ability to open separate tabs?