Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
Oh Jimmy, I almost forgot to mention how you were also "inspired" by that rant by Steve from "Couplings" a few years back. Thought no-one would notice did we? VERY naughty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGK2fplV_w

It's around 4:25. I wouldn't call it ripping off though, maybe more of a gesture to the american audience who had to endure the travesty that was the american remake. To remake the jokes so the yanks can share the laughter is a noble endeavor truly.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
millertime059 said:
MatsVS said:
A different, perhaps more radical, solution:

How 'bout we objectify no one, and only place men or women in revealing clothing when it is tangential to exploring their character and/or fits their cultural/geographical background. You know, as in good storytelling that is inclusive and realistic at the same time.
ninjas man, get you every time ;)

Thanks for being one of the few people to actually notice the point though. you are 100% correct.
So, uh, both of you failed your parody identification test.

That said, I don't like this show. This episode was a vast improvement of the last one (I actually got through the whole thing this time!), but it was still quite poor quality. Of course, it's extremely controversial, and therefore gets a lot of comments (and views), so I suspect it'll stick around for a while.

zorrandur

Mar 8, 2010
Rotting Corpse said:
I find it amazing how this guy can talk for minutes on end without saying anything. Escapist, please stop paying this guy, this you guys above him. He's not funny, he doesn't make intelligent points, and he doesn't even say anything. He brings up the points without discussing them. That's twice now I haven't even been able to sit through his whole video.
pretty much this. i'd MUCH rather have a new season of "a good knights quest" or for Doraelous to come back rather than see this guy every week.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Has anyone explained homosexuality to Jim Sterling yet? He doesn't seem to realize it exists.

Also as a heterosexual male, i'm pretty sure i'm not hard-wired to objectify women. Sometimes I want to immerse myself in a game without having to suspend my disbelief that anyone could ever fight effectively in high heels.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Kind of a bit stunned to visit the Escapist at work and find a big pair of boobs on the front page - nice, Escapist.

As for the show, I think it should just be a podcast. This guy just doesnt look comfortable in front of the camera and those glasses are bloody stupid looking; thats not an attack on him as Ive yet to see anyone truly suit those style of glasses. Also if it were to be a podcast the sound quality could perhaps be improved and I'd be more inclined to listen to the whole thing while doing other stuff as opposed to having to take time out and watch his antics for a few minutes.

I like the concept of the show but its just not suited for video.

Mar451

Nov 25, 2009
Jim...he has a chance of being a person with really good points and ideas, but his delivery and handling of these issues is so ungodly poorly done. I really don't think hes intending to come off this way, he needs to take some tips from others on how to deliver material.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
HankMan said:
Jim looks too much like some televangelist in the show banner.
I suppose objectification for both genders isn't such a bad idea.
Oh
My
God

A comment from you that ISN'T a pun? :p

Anywhoo, I think all the nudity in games is just desensitising people, which is kind of a bad thing. In a while girls in games will have only small circles of fabric covering their nipples, and then fully naked breasts. Then the bikini bottom will get skimpier and the boobs will become even bigger, until ridiculous proportions.
The worst thing: it actually affects you outside of gaming as well.. whereas girls' boobs were first something elusive, it's now something that has to be paraded around..

I get that you'd only want attractive people in your game, and that's okay, really, but witcher-style sexualisation is just awful. I always feel like I'm one of a select few who actually want women with normal sized boobs in full plate armour.. It's not hard to make that look attractive

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
This is attracting all the hate back on the forums? The way people were talking I was expecting cumshots and rape jokes. This video is perfectly fine.

It would certainly be a shame if this series got cancelled because people thought Jim was a dick rather than because they made a judgement on how entertaining the videos are, because he really seems a decent sort of chap.

VictorKane115

Apr 25, 2011
Irritating personality, to many unfunny cut away "jokes", and no originality. I'm rather new here I'll admit, but this guy seems horribly out of place when compared to the other content here.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
cobra_ky said:
Has anyone explained homosexuality to Jim Sterling yet? He doesn't seem to realize it exists.
I was going to say. "Um... women for men? Men for women? Pretty certain half those Devil May Cry fanarts are from gay fellas." As a bisexual (and I'm not flaunting that), this weird idea Jim has that "men are for women, women are for men," with seemingly no middleground whatsoever, is... baffling. I can't believe in doing research for this kind of video, he didn't once think, "hold on... pretty certain there are women that like tits, too."

Then again, he probably did think that, and thought it was TOO SEXIST!! ...god. I like the guy, he raises points well and I think he has his heart in the right place, but he's struggling with getting either to the core of the issues at hand, or articulating properly his otherwise valid arguments.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
8bitlove2a03 said:
Nobody makes men sexy in gaming
Bullshit. Duke Nukem Forever was parroted throughout the entire thing and he's one of the most objectified men in gaming, if not the most.

cfehunter

Oct 5, 2010
Hilarious. But oh no what have you done o_0.
I'm all for equality aslong as there's a toggle. please let there be a toggle.....

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah I think I said in an earlier post that the presentation was much better this week.

While this is true, having rewatched it now, I think it blinded me to the fact that the content is pretty uninspired at best. Also his assumption that only men like women and women like men shows a lack of thought, but probably not deliberate homophobia.

I'll give him one more chance next week.