Jimquisition: Taking Videogames Seriously

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The only thing I can say is, why do you take these very people seriously? even enough to make an entire video about them.

Another week of wasted opportunity in my opinion. But good enough for a laugh.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Littaly said:
Seriously! Some of those paint pictures are really f'ing disturbing. I mean, it's not that the Fox News anchors have butts for heads, it's that you took the time to specifically draw on of them pulling his cheeks apart o_O
I noticed that too, I would hate to live inside Jim's mind, it would be like crossing Aliens and TeleTubbies with some South Park type sick humour.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Souplex said:
*Gasp*
[HEADING=1]Jim has eyes?![/HEADING]
It is ok, deep breaths. Those are not eyes. If you watch it backwards you can see that it is a green screen projecting eyes onto his glasses.

I always thought there was some committee that decided what society was to accept and what was to be made fun of. Otherwise I agreed.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I was going to take this video seriously, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Just kidding. But it is true, I think everyone has an unconscious need to justify the things they enjoy to everyone else. It's the reason you hear jocks talk about why their football team is so awesome, or why your friend who loves physics gets super excited when you ask him a question about space.

Frostbite3789 said:
I don't even know how many times I've been asked when I'll grow out of video games. A question that disgusts me.
Couldn't agree more man. It's infuriating to hear "You know, one day you're going to be older, and you won't have time for video games". Well fuck, if that's the case, I hope I die young. I never want to be at a point in my life when I need to work work and work some more. Who's business is it what I do in my free time? I guess my future wife.....but if she's not cool with me playing video games, she's probably not my wife.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Wookie 1 said:
I dont really agree, he is rather ignoring the question. The people who dont take it seriously are key decision makers and opinion formers. Many more people have heard of famous Film Critics than Jim here or Yahtzee or anybody else from our medium. Until that changes we are just considered a rogue toy industry gone mad. That needs to change, it doesnt matter if we take us seriously really, it matters if the important within society does.
Well said.
From an Australian point of view with all the recent news about game classification I think the authorities should be looking at games in the same was as they do movies and tv shows. They should realise that they are not just toys for kids, but entertainment for a much larger percentage of adults.

Edit: Alien and Aliens were much better than Alien3 and Alien resurrection but I like all 4

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I swear I saw that Gorilla Alien in a toy store here in Sweden, back in the day. (Or maybe it was in an ad. I just know I remember the Gorilla Alien and Flying Alien Queen toys from my childhood.)

And Alien 3 is a great movie. Alien Resurrection, while enjoyable, has too many shitty details and moments bothering me... most of all its lack of originality.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
I realize Jim is comenting on a specific issue but the premise of what he's saying has broader connotations. Sure the consideration politicians, priest and various elderly folks or Starbucks patrons, give to video games is inconsiquential. But their are some people who because of their job should take games seriously. How about the game and hardware makers? Or the journalist? It doesn't only hurt my pride when many aspects of game coverage are an eyesore.

Mar 28, 2011
Zac Smith said:
I liked Alien 3 and Resurrection, there no where near as bad as people make them out to be
Yeah, Alien 3 was a bunch of bald british dudes attempting to out act each other. Loved every minute. Resurrection just didn't have enough money behind it, basically. You can tell where the corners were cut. But Joss Whedon wrote it, so, i'm happy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
I less want them to be taken seriously and more want people to stop considering them as a thing for children. A toy.

They're as adult as books, movies and TV, sometimes moreso, and yet plenty of people still consider them a toy.

I don't even know how many times I've been asked when I'll grow out of video games. A question that disgusts me.
The thing about that is, since it's always been an interactive medium (unlike the books, movies, TV shows) there will always be people who can't help but view video games as toys and children's playthings. It didn't help when Sony referred to the DS as a babysitting tool while trying to promote the PSP. Once generations V and W die off completely there will likely be significantly fewer people who see games and gaming as something just for kids.

Personally, I can enjoy all types of games. The thing is, I prefer Pokemon to Heavy Rain. Not that I'm against plot and, story based games it's just that I prefer engaging titles over plot heavy titles. It's why I consider Mystic Quest and the PSX Final Fantasy titles superior to XIII as well.

As for Alien 3 and Resurrection...I haven't seen either all the way through. I should fix that, especially since they're both apparently better than AvP.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
I believe MovieBob touched on why this argument for games being taken seriously exists, and that's we nerds like to stay in a victim complex. We want to believe that outside forces are conspiring to throw us into a locker, that we're standing up for what's right in the world by taking up sword and shield to legitimize things we like. Completely ignoring the fact that the mere act of taking up resistance is making us come off as more knee-jerk than your average political figure, and our hysterics are often just as overblown and out of place in civilized society.

Security in your sense of self means you can ignore what other people think about the things you like. The problem is, some of us still enjoy, even define our very personalities with insecurity in ourselves.

Accept the fact that not everyone has to like what you like, get a job, and move the hell on with your life.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
I think the issue with the Spike VGAs are not about seriousness or outside validation. Rather it's about people looking for more sophistication and maturity from the games industry and an event that supposedly represents it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
well mabye this "taken seriously" thing is less about what other people think and more about us wanting games that arnt targeted toward 14 year old boys

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sylveria said:
It's really naive to say "video games are here to stay" now. They aren't. Not yet. It wasn't that long ago that the industry collapsed in on itself, largely for doing things it is repeating now just on a much grander scale.

We also still have a lot of old, white, ignorant, yet powerful men and women who still view video games as murder simulators and would love to see them disappear or censored into oblivion. We have governments across the world run by those same old, white, ignorant, yet powerful people deciding the fate of video games. Many people make comparisons to movies, but let us not forget the "video nasties" which were a rather large collection of movies that were banned for arbitrary reasons, by old, white, ignorant, yet powerful people.

So yes, there is still a need to be concerned and try to push the legitimacy of gaming as an art form and a hobby for well adjusted adults and children alike. Unfortunately, they aren't "safe" yet and probably wont be for at least another 20-30years when most the Joe Liebermans of the world and people who think like him while holding a government position are dead.
I dont know...It seems weird to think it might all disapear because its such a big thing, big enough thease days to rival the popularity of movies

back in the days of atari wasnt gaming more of a niche thing that it is now?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Kenner Aliens? KILL THE ABOMINATIONS!

First proper video I've seen off you, gives me a nice impression of what these videos are like.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Lemme ask, if you got the validation by others at large for video games, would you really WANT this validation? The only thing I really want is an industry that doesn't suck all the money to the top, and movies have already largely failed there, so hey.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I take them totally seriously. Most of the time. The other times, I'm in a gimp suit with a giant mascot head on beating passersby with boxing gloves that make them explode. Or I'm Fus Ro Dahing them off of a cliff, of watching Rico Rodriguez impossibly sail through a mountain, after bouncing a tank as if it were a superball. It's the same way I can take The Godfather seriously, as a golden example among movies, then watch something like Evil Dead, and remember that not everything needs to be golden. While seeing the virtuoso efforts presented in Shadow of the Colossus, I can easily remember that, while here stands a game where you slowly fade into darkness as you try to save the one you love, another game has a pivotal fight with a forlorn heap of junk made whole by some unknown magical device mixing with some shorted electrical circuits. And I love both of those games. I take both of them seriously. It's more fun that way.

BigManKane

Mar 9, 2011
When ever someone tells me "Oh videogames are not art; they are to violent and don't have a good plot to it.". While this is some what true I always think that if that's your case than why are movies like Transformers, Apollo 18, The New Star Wars Trilogy, Twilight Saga, Fast and the Furious Series, Drive; how can they be consider art but, video games can't be.

Games like: Bastions, Deus Ex, Minecraft, Terraria, the Portal Series, the Half-Life Series, the Monkey Island Series, the Serious Sam Series, the Max Payne Series, LIMBO, the Fallot Series, The Elder Scroll Series, Amnesia, the Hitman Series, the Trine Series, Magicka, even the Postal Series.

Hopefully in the future people like Roger Ebert or the anchors on Fox News will have history change them in too the same crazy people who wanted to get rid of television, films, plays, paintings,and books because they didn't consider them to be an art form.