Jimquisition: The Poison of Pre-Order Culture

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I only pre order games that I know will be difficult to find down the road. Right now my pre order selection consists of:

Persona Q premium edition
Senran Kagura Shinovi VS
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Hearts R
Phoenix Wright VS Professor Layton
Theatrhythm Curtain Call (don't really count to some people but I had trouble finding the first one)
Akibas Trip
Danganronpa 2

Yeah, not really games you can go into a Gamestop and buy without calling 6 stores and finding out if it's there when they come out.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The last game I pre-ordered was Borderlands 2 because I thought i'd save money... then I saw the GOTY edition for about £30 when it launched... yeah...

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
... not to mention that you are paying upfront for a product/service you have not received and will not receive for a long while. Besides making your mom cringe for doing that, the AAA company is getting money for free which can bolster its financials and encourage this behaviour. Interest alone is significant, just by having millions of dollars sitting pretty in the bank.

Nice salad toss, Jimbo

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I've never really understood the whole pre-order thing. Perhaps it comes with growing up in a village in the 1980's. Even if there was something I really wanted, I'd still have to wait weeks for my parents to decide it was time for trip to our local city to get it, (assuming that I already had cash saved for it). And my friends were all in the same position, so there was no "shame" if you didn't have the latest thing immediately. Come to think of it, games weren't hyped for years in advance, so the first I'd know of a game was typically when it was reviewed in a monthly magazine, by which time it had already probably been out for quite a while anyway.

These days, it seems like you're not a real fan of something even if you merely buy it on the first day of release.

Anyway, I'm feeling old now.

With regards to Isolation, Sony had done a lot to make people genuinely excited about this game even after the Colonial Marines debacle. Instead of saying "Hey we know we screwed up with the last game, but this one is better and when the reviews (and word of mouth) is out, everyone will see it", they are pushing pre-order bonuses harder than ever.

Incidently, I asked this on another thread and didn't get an answer. Is the audio for this game completely new and recorded by basically the whole of the cast? Has this been confirmed or are they just going to plunder the original audio from the movie?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I?ve stopped pre ordering after Rome 2 was released unfinished, nowadays all that pre order bonuses do is convince me to wait for steam sales and game of the year editions.

Luminos564

May 15, 2013
Last time I pre-ordered was for Blazblue Chronophantasma Limited Edition. Did it out of respect for the developer (Arc System Works) and very happily shelled out nearly $100 for it even though I personally did not really care for most of the bonuses (only the artbook). Turns out the game's localization was poor at best, the music files are not formatted properly (or something like that) so they don't work as intended and just to put the cherry on top, it turns out they cut the Library (a glossary of terms explaining fighting game terms and the Blazblue lore) from the NA version for a very dubious reason.

I am DONE with pre-orders. I'll gladly buy the games at launch if need be like with the upcoming Persona 4 Arena Ultimax or the to be released 2015 localized version of Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late. But I am never going to pre-order for expensive LEs again. I and by extension, my wallet, have had enough. It just is not worth it.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Totally. I've hated (and never actually understood) pre-ordering. I have to this very day, never pre-ordered a game.
I never saw the point and the risk always seemed too high.

Nowaydays companies sometimes make the game ever so slightly cheaper on pre-order or add in some bullshit content which they cut from the original game.

Pre-orders and 95% of DLC can fudge itself.
These are things in the game industry that make me like gaming less and less.

Another thing that hits me are the gaming consumers. They so readily do things which are only for the Publishers good and then on top of things go off and defend them...

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
I´m totally not a fan, of these pre-order extras, but saying, that the original cast should have been included, in Isolation is like buying an Aliens-DVD and then being disapointed, that it doesn´t include the first movie.

zerabp

Aug 30, 2011
There is one good reason to preorder games that you know you are going to purchase Jim at least from Amazon and that reason is same day delivery. Other than that I fully agree with you. Preorder bonuses, especially store exclusive ones are almost as annoying as a poorly made game.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
Bindal said:
And I can't even remotely agree with Jim here:
Alien Isolation is about Amanda Ripley. Selling a DLC with the original Nostromo Crew (which are all but one, at the time Isolation takes place, are kinda, sorta... you know... dead?) telling a story we already know, then that's fine by me. It's a bonus in every way.
And why is it that way? Oh, thats right: because the developers and publishers chose to make it that way. And while I do agree that the original cast of Alien is a bonus, that doesn't mean it has to be sold separately. Bonus content can be part of the main package. And such things were part of the main game package before DLC and Pre-Order culture sank their fangs into the industry. This is like selling us cheat codes and alternate costumes separately, only to a much worse degree.

This isn't something created after the fact like Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea. Its available as a pre-order bonus. And it'll very likely be on-disc. There is no reason for this to be separate from the main game except to milk extra money from customers and/or Gamestop.

But if you're going to accept and defend this, then you might as well defend Nintendo if they decide tomorrow to lock Captain Falcon behind a pre-order/DLC paywall in Smash Bros U.

Szadek

Jul 14, 2014
I only pre-order CE,because that usually the only way to get them.
I don't even care about the DLC's,most of the time I give them away anyway.
For me,there is no reason to pre-order the normal version,they are not running out anytime soon.

Luminos564

May 15, 2013
MonkeyPunch said:
Totally. I've hated (and never actually understood) pre-ordering. I have to this very day, never pre-ordered a game.
I never saw the point and the risk always seemed too high.
It didn't used to be like this. In the PS2 era, Limited Edition pre-orders were done very well. I still have the Persona 4 artbook I got from it, long after the disc broke and my PS2 damaged beyond repair. I'm thinking Jim alluded to the reason in this video and before: digital market took over. Now you can add more content to your game very easily whereas before you'd have had to shell out more money for a whole new edition. Unfortunately, a good number of companies see this as a means of "producing less for the same profit". Or rather "more profit" considering how much they try to nickle and dime everyone.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
SnakeoilSage said:
I was hyped for Alien: Isolation. Now I just feel the sad. I thought the developers cared more about the franchise and its fans than they did, but no, they just dressed up their greed in a little cosplay show. Come suck my xenomorph lollipop, it's right here in my pants. Mmm, suck it good. You want it, don't you? Yeees.
The developers do care it's the publisher's who are c**t's,

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
I'd really like Alien Isolation to be THE definitive alien game, and was if'ing and ahh'ing over whether or not to preorder it but the classic cast 'bonus' put me right off, I love the franchise and the game looks like it's going to be great (operative word: looks like) and I've been looking for a good horror game, but this looks like essentially an expansion pack's worth of content and frankly if I'm dropping £50+ on a disc I want all the content to be on the disc, not have a giant portion hacked off to get me to reaffirm my commitment to buying the game or having to pay another £10 later to access that content.

Sega by removing this level of content you might have guaranteed yourself thousands of pre-orders, but you've also cost yourself a sale as well, I will now be waiting and buying either second hand, in a sale or a complete edition if there is one.

moving on to the subject of high street games retailers and preorders, anyone who works there, I know it's probably mandated that you have to ask but please, take it from me if someone tells you no they don't want to preorder a game don't ask again and add in all the fancy "preorder bonuses" stuff, if the customer doesn't want to buy the game the extra content isn't going to get them to change their mind, I had to say no three times last week because the cashier wanted to know if I wanted to preorder 'destiny', once should be enough.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
6:49

"Jews games are killing the industry!"

Well I can honestly say I wasn't expecting to hear that.

(And yes I know he didn't actually say that it just sounded like it)

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
I'm calling BS on that 'impersonation', Jim! That was an obvious dub-over of actual dialog.

You're better than that Sterling! :)

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
Bayushi_Kouya said:
So, uh, what do we do about it?

I've tried setting my heels and standing on principle before, and I've noticed two primary reactions:
#1. The people who make these decisions interpret me not playing their game as a lack of interest and murder the game/genre in its crib
#2. The tide of people who don't care how much they're exploited makes my stance irrelevant.

I realize that this idiomatically similar to negotiating with terrorists, but I'm not convinced that this industry wouldn't be murdered fucking dead if we resist the shenanigans. If we video game fans get a reputation with investors as being balky and unpredictable, that means fewer investors and even less risks than the already paltry amount currently being taken.

Steam looks pretty fucking bleak to me, speaking as someone who just joined the glorious PC gaming master race. While I would accept a world where the only games made were indie games, I'd much rather have some AAA still on the menu.

How should defeat preorders without defeating the existence of AAA gaming?
Well, I guess a question to answer your question would be:

Do you really want to see AAA gaming exist in its current form or continue to play games that have their development and overall gameplay/gameflow sabotaged by day one DLC, Preorder Content, and Microtransactions?

I know you kind of answered that, but i don't know, think really hard, lol.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
The only time I pre-order anything is when I know for a fact that I'm going to get the game day 1 and there is a worthwhile incentive for doing so. Character skins don't count. I'll admit I pre-ordered Destiny but that's because I was able to get into the Alpha and I liked what I played of it. If I play the Beta and find it bland or unappealing, I'll cancel.I do agree that Pre-order stuff is getting ridiculous. It went from being a convenience to a hindrance.

FINE - "Pre-order *title* to upgrade to the limited edition for free, which includes a map, artbook, and soundtrack download"

NOT FINE - "Pre-order *title* today to get 30 minutes of extra content and a free map for Multiplayer. Preorder the super mega pre-order gamestop edition for access to the first DLC and a free hat for your avatar!"

I'm actually a little scared that the movie industry will do the same thing now that you can pre-order a movie while it's still in theaters.