Jimquisition: The Weird is Not Enough

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I want an orangufang. :(

This series is really picking up some pace for me, love it. :)

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
I still don't like this show. Even if he does have some valid points and even though it's better than the first, I still cannot get myself to enjoy it. This 'I AM THE GAMER MESSIAH' thing he has going on just gets under my skin real fast.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
While I agree with the fundamental sentiment of interaction being essential, Sterling has a history of advocating this notion of "fun" as absolutely vital to the form, an angle which I cannot agree with.
I feel that always applying the label "game" is limiting in this sense, considering the inherent connotations of the term. (i.e frivolity, amusement, entertainment)
Saints Row 2 is definitely a game, and a brilliant one at that.
I'm not sure I would describe The Void as a game, however.

That does not imply an assessment of value, mind you. I think both are perfectly legitimate approaches. I simply believe a distinction is called for, considering the radical difference in their respective sensibilities.

To continue on that point, the inclusion of The Path felt thoroughly incongruous.
What exactly is "weird" about it?
Granted, it's an allegorical account of Little Red Riding Hood, but we've seen that done many a time before. The fact that it operates on a symbolic rather than literal level doesn't render it incomprehensible, nor does it detract from the experience.
It is involving because it invites the participant to consider the manner in which he or she is complicit in the events unfolding.
Far Cry 2, a much more populist title, is quite similar in that respect as it asks the participant to commit the most heinous crimes, all under the guise of traditional progression through gameplay.

There seems to be a lot of moaning about pretensions and artistic snobbery abound, but honestly, does any medium evolve unless there's some level of pretension involved?
What I admire about a developer such as Tale of Tales is their seemingly endless desire to disregard the unspoken rules of the interactive medium as we know it today.
Be it successfully or not.
The Endless Forest, available free of charge, is probably the most original multiplayer experience I've had as of yet in its utter dismissal of established norms in online interaction.

I'll readily agree that this policy of theirs occasionally renders their work a bit too willfully obscure, however. The intentionally incomprehensible control scheme of "Fatale" is a perfect example of this self-indulgence. But frankly, I'd much rather spend my time being exposed to an interesting, new and unfamiliar approach; albeit genuinely confusing, than simply submit to yet another run-of-the-mill, predictable exercise in box-office lucre à la Epic Games.

P.S
I find it delightfully ironic that Sterling criticises something for being self-satisfied to the point of disregarding the enjoyment of its audience.

I still dislike his approach, and I still find him a very problematic commentator.
D.S

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Two good shows in a row? Gold star, Jim! Going from garbage to great in a mere four episodes is commendable.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
MatsVS said:
Think crap like 'Juno' and 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World'. Weirdness is a means towards an end, not an end unto itself.
Are you sure we watched the same Scott Pilgrim vs. the World here? As well, you know, I thought that film was actually really, really good. I thought maybe you were voicing an opinion there, but I should have of course known you were actually stating a fact. How silly of me.

As an aside, I notice that you've just named two films starring Michael Cera as being "crap". Coincidence?

As for the Jim video, didn't watch it, so don't really have anything to contribute.

@MatsVS - I won't be coming back to this thread, so no need to bother trying to start a debate, as it won't happen. I have no intention of starting a war over differing opinions.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Haters going to freaking hate. I like this show and hope it keeps going. It's sure as hell better than Lisa's top 5, which I didn't even see a point to.

Estrada77

Sep 13, 2010
Getting a bit better....but the mastabatory jokes and lipstick at the end just made it go back two steps. Least he had something relevant to say. When its just him talking to us though, man are those parts dull...hopefully the director can mix it up some more.

Still meh, and the humor is missing the boat entirely.

Ingwer-Orang

Aug 26, 2009
Compared to the first episode this one is a huge improvement.
Not really funny but the topic was interesting.

JPRanger

Dec 30, 2009
This show annoyed me at first but I think its steadily getting better, keep this direction up please lol I think part of the issue thats boring people here is that there isnt really any specific aspect of the humor here thats 'his'.. and what I mean by that is in Zero Punctuation theres a very clear style to the video itself and the humor as well .. its purely yahtzee, the same concept can be seen with comedians that have a phrase or style of joke telling that they use a lot .. something that makes them unique and stand out from the next guy.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
The guy raises some smart points about where developers fail like Extra Credits, but fails to follow through on the causes of the problems, and what can be done to fix it.

He's also employing an overly dramatic style in the 'to camera' sections, but unlike Yahtzee none of these jokes ascribe to a particularly coherent sense of humour and his delivery is obviously expectant of laughs while Yahtzee incorporates them into his work as an integral part rather than a throw away piece.

And also, I really hate the condescension on the part of both Jim and the Escapist with me being "unworthy" and "blessed" and the like.

I ultimately don't see who this video's meant to appeal to. If you want humour, go to the LRR guys or Yahtzee, if you want an intellectual discussion of the thematic and technical concepts of games, go to Extra Credits. And while you're around, go to Moviebob, cause he's just great.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Great episode, so much better than the first one (even though I hate David Cage).

Now let's get a pilot of Monkey Ghost.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
I liked this one quite a bit more than the others, I got a good chuckle out of it. Especially with the Dracula-Monkey pun. XD

I look forward to more of your work! I never really thought about why I always felt a disconnect with "weird" games, considering I'm always attracted to the more abstract/zany games when they initially come out.

I think you pretty much nailed it. It's just not as much fun without being able to participate.