Jimquisition: The Weird is Not Enough

Magical Crab

May 4, 2011
I'm sorry, it's like there is a discussion in there somewhere, a topic worth exploring, but he only touches on the surface of the issue. He does not present any other views than the shallow onlooker's perspective, nor does he spend a lot of time exploring the depths of the actual issue, and his jokes are just too juvenile to be funny, and it just feels like he is catering to the... dare I say it? The derpy crowd.

He's just too lost in his internet-personality for now. I just hope he'll pop out of it eventually.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
A better episode that the previous ones. No "ums" or pauses that I could see, and no crude MS paint drawings (thank god).

I think you are best when discussing topics that not everyone has talked about before because if you go on to talk about, say, DRM and piracy it would be boring because you'd be saying the exact same thing that everyone else has been saying except offering no real in-depth analysis. However, with a more abstract topic, like today's, it's easier to make comments on without parroting others and with less need to go really in-depth.

So, yeah, I'd stick with these more obscure topics. I don't think your strength is in the heavy hitting topics, it would just come off as preaching to the choir and getting on bandwagons.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Annnnd 3rd strike means you're out. Sadly, after wading through all the forced mastrubatory jokes and the narcissism (faked or not, I honestly can't tell), he does make a few good points. But the whole production is so juvenile and forced, it takes away from the message. I get that you need to set yourself apart from Extra Credits and even Zero Punctuation. But you've picked one of the worst ways to set yourself apart: acting like a douche. Yahtzee already cornered the sweary, hate-filled narcissist market. Find your own thing.
I wonder if you knew that he was doing this video segment over at destructoid for a while now...

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Man what happend to you jim? you were so much better in this over at destructoid more natural and real...it seems like your conforming to what escapist wants you to be...
(and yet again I hate the fact you cant delete a post I thought someone had replied and thought it was okay to post again but i ended up double posting...)

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
WilliamRLBaker said:
Avaholic03 said:
Annnnd 3rd strike means you're out. Sadly, after wading through all the forced mastrubatory jokes and the narcissism (faked or not, I honestly can't tell), he does make a few good points. But the whole production is so juvenile and forced, it takes away from the message. I get that you need to set yourself apart from Extra Credits and even Zero Punctuation. But you've picked one of the worst ways to set yourself apart: acting like a douche. Yahtzee already cornered the sweary, hate-filled narcissist market. Find your own thing.
I wonder if you knew that he was doing this video segment over at destructoid for a while now...
Nope, I didn't know that. And it's probably better that way, otherwise I would have been sick of it long before he made it to the Escapist. How long was he doing it there before the Escapist picked it up? If anything, that makes me more disappointed because that means he's had more time to polish the presentation, and it's still crap.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
loved it.
looks like you've found your tone and style, and feel more comfortable with the camera. bring on more of this.

Fumofu

Nov 11, 2010
I watched this. Then I read Extra Consideration and I enjoyed Jim much better on the latter. He is much more likable and his insight really shows when he's not acting his character for this series.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Well damn Killer 7 and Deadly Premonition are two of my favorite weird games.....and he makes good points about player agency with the weird.

I think Jim's just a bit rusty or noobish at this, but he's improving. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops this, it's getting better with each episode.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
This is not too much of a surprise, but he makes sense.

The reason why Earthworm Jim and Earthbound are two of my favorite video games are for their quirkiness: They respect their quirkiness, but take their time to make a game. Now for a game that doesn't quite work as well as it should, I point to Earthworm Jim 64, in which the game is so wacky, you can't make heads or tails on how to play it, and the camera is so awful, playing it today actually makes me nauseous.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I think if you are going to be weird it should be to no other end than to provide a unique aspect of gameplay. For example, if I decide that everyone in my world is made of cookies, the first thing I'm going to put in is a milk gun that dissolves away the cookie people slowly, and makes them crumbles as I damage them. That justifies my weird idea.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Getting somewhat better, though the humor does feel a bit forced at times.

YouEatLard

Jun 20, 2010
danyy2009 said:
If he only was funny, it could be alot better.
Very true. I used to think all of the British were probably funny. The British are usually great at being funny.... even when they're not trying to be. Anyone that has been on Vent or Teamspeak when a Brit ripped into anyone else knows what I'm talking about.

This man is British and opinionated.... and somehow.... far from funny. Other added bonuses, weak points and weaker speaking skills.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Eh, a bit better than his previous videos and he does make good points. However the humor as well as his self centeredness does come across as forced most of the time.

It is getting better though, I'll give it another week.