Jimquisition: The Weird is Not Enough

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Ok, this episode was fine.

It still didn't really have a purpose... but neither does movie bob in "the big picture" 2/3 of the time.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Awesome once again. It's very interesting to see how he took the initial roasting to heart and I'm very glad to see that the hate didn't last long enough to ax the show. "Garme jurnalizm!" is a good shtick in my opinion, and something I think this site needs more of. So many people here take themselves and their views on gaming too dang seriously.

Soooo true on artsy games, too. I'm remembering One Chance and I'm finding I resent it a lot more now due to its inability to let me truly take control of the situation.

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
very nice. i do enjoy some weird games, but they get that much better when they let you go at it with a sledgehammer over a dull pair of kiddy scissors(metaphorically of course).

keep it up Jim. your getting better over time.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
If you pitched your Monkey Ghost idea to Cartoon Network, on the basis that "It's weird, isn't it?", they're be totally on board. In fact, CN's latest line of thinking is EXACTLY the same like of thinking for these weird games, like their bizarre nature is enough to carry an otherwise decent or how-hum show.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
I'm somewhat glad I clicked on this one. It was an improvement over your last videos. It actually had a fair bit of depth concerning the topic of weirdness.

I'd probably drop the offensive jokes. They don't really fit smoothly with the rest of the video and the juxtaposition (jimstaposition?) doesn't really add anything to my understanding of the topic or the enjoyment of the video. It's just a distraction.

Now most importantly: Where's Chad?

AyreonMaiden said:
Soooo true on artsy games, too. I'm remembering One Chance and I'm finding I resent it a lot more now due to its inability to let me truly take control of the situation.
Sort of a different situation, considering it was a flash game on newgrounds, wouldn't you say? I can't really imagine a basement flash developer putting in the years of work required to "really" let you take control of that situation - and it would probably undercut the game's message if it were even possible.

I like to think of those as more "short story sketches" than immersive blockbuster games.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
HandsomeZer0 said:
Orangafang made me spit coke all over the computer screen :p
I'm really digging this now.
That and the part about toucans got to me too. I actually enjoyed this episode. I liked too how he was kinda clever about his message this time. He was purposefully talking a lot of bullshit and nonsense, but I felt this time his bullshit nonsense had meaning behind it rather than just bullshit for its own sake. HOORAY JIM, YOU DID IT!

Also laughed at least two times so I'm not mad at this series anymore.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
I think this series has great potential. It's best when he avoids the disturbing imagery (the family bit was just not necessary) and the forced, fake illusions of grandeur.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
WilliamRLBaker said:
Avaholic03 said:
Annnnd 3rd strike means you're out. Sadly, after wading through all the forced mastrubatory jokes and the narcissism (faked or not, I honestly can't tell), he does make a few good points. But the whole production is so juvenile and forced, it takes away from the message. I get that you need to set yourself apart from Extra Credits and even Zero Punctuation. But you've picked one of the worst ways to set yourself apart: acting like a douche. Yahtzee already cornered the sweary, hate-filled narcissist market. Find your own thing.
I wonder if you knew that he was doing this video segment over at destructoid for a while now...
Nope, I didn't know that. And it's probably better that way, otherwise I would have been sick of it long before he made it to the Escapist. How long was he doing it there before the Escapist picked it up? If anything, that makes me more disappointed because that means he's had more time to polish the presentation, and it's still crap.
*laughs hard* god I love that another person that actually believes most of escapist content is cultivated with good presentation...

Sprong

Nov 17, 2009
This one was a huge improvement on the last three, in my opinion. The added bits of self-deprecation made me hate him way less.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Still no.

You've got two concepts up in this ***** right here, and you're tackling them like they're either indivisible or indistinguishable.

You had some funny jokes though.

But overall, it was still a pretty dismal bit of commentary with pretty ham-handed insights that you haven't worked through completely.

Sprong said:
This one was a huge improvement on the last three, in my opinion. The added bits of self-deprecation made me hate him way less.
Also this.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Made me laugh, and a good point about some artsy fartsy games -- although I disagree with 'The Path' as an example of these.
Glad to see this series has apparently found its proper method here!

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Valid points, I think quite a few weird games turn out to be more fleshed out than just their weird visuals. Recently for me, Zeno Clash ($15 on Steam).

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/22200/0000007655.800x600.jpg?t=1241208144

Zeno Clash has the wildest character design and along with prehistoric art direction, it's uniquely weird. The world is very different from fantasy fare, with concepts like Corwin of the Free being like mental patients who are without inhibitions. Then there's a weird story where you're one of the children of Father-Mother but decide to run away from your family, and then you start getting beat up by your "Sisters" and "Brothers", while on the way finding out the mystery to Father-Mother. The ending has one of the most shocking plot twists that's straight out of a Grimm fairy tale.

All this presentation aside, the first-person melee is the most satisfying and deepest since Condemned. It's a brawler all the way, and appropriately arcadey with being blocked off in arenas for fights and having vs screens. There are shooting segments too, with the very hand-made weapons reminding me of Stranger's Wrath. You have fish dual pistols (like Videodrome), crossbows, and the coolest looking rifle. Surprisingly, they're fun to use in such a brawler-heavy game and add strategy to group combat encounters.

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/22200/0000007660.800x600.jpg?t=1241208144
http://casualtygamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/zenoclash_mucalosaurus.jpg

Just one of those games you MUST play for the unique experience.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
He's trying to emulate Colbert, and it's not working. I really think that he should try to find his own style, or stop trying so hard to be funny. Up to him, really.

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
Galliam said:
HandsomeZer0 said:
Orangafang made me spit coke all over the computer screen :p
I'm really digging this now.
That and the part about toucans got to me too. I actually enjoyed this episode. I liked too how he was kinda clever about his message this time. He was purposefully talking a lot of bullshit and nonsense, but I felt this time his bullshit nonsense had meaning behind it rather than just bullshit for its own sake. HOORAY JIM, YOU DID IT!

Also laughed at least two times so I'm not mad at this series anymore.
I've never really been that mad at it, i thought it was okay at the start. It just needed some more diverse topics and a little more flash for people to grow to it. But still orangafangs and toucans are definitely in my vocabulary now :p

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
This show is definitely getting better. The last one was an improvement and this one was really solid.