Jimquisition: The Weird is Not Enough

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
I have to admit these do seem to be improving.

And...someone else who's played The Path?! Yay

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Not bad...atleast not as bad as the first two episodes.
The first two left me going "get rid of Jim!" but the last two were pretty okay so I don't mind if he stays now.

wall5970

Mar 11, 2010
Wow. This is the first one I've seen where I felt like he made a point. Was it a point worth five minutes? No. Once again, he just said the same 30 second point over and over and over again: "Weird games ideally let you join in the weirdness."

What was that?

"Weird games ideally let you join in the weirdness."

And one more time for the slow people.

Oh... wait... we're going one more time?

Also, he's not funny. I almost laughed one time this episode, which is a huge improvement, but his jokes seem less like natural byproducts of wit and more of him writing the main script for his episode, then going back over it and forcing jokes into it.

If I were speaking, this probably would have taken around 40 seconds, and I've made two points. See how that works?

Let me help out (see, an offering of a possible real solution, rather than just "women are treated like sex objects --> most people think it would be better for the industry if women weren't treated like meat with holes --> let's say the opposite of that to make a 5 minute long joke that I repeat ad nauseum!"). I'll structure a basic outline for what I'd like to see "The Jimquisition" do next week:
1. State the overall argument ("Weird games shouldn't be weird for the sake of weird")
2. Explore possibilities why the status quo takes place ("People confuse superficial gimmicks with true sparks of genius and originality")
3. Discuss games that succeeded and failed in this endeavor ("Succeeded: 'Katamari Demacy' since you were the absolute weirdest thing in that universe doing ALL the action that mattered, the early 'Silent Hill' series because although you weren't the 'weirdest' thing in our meaning, you were a certainly weird visitor to this horrific universe, which made you feel important and meaningful in that universe. Failed: the games that were mentioned in the Jimquisition")
4. Discuss some nuance and conclude ("Although you are changing the universe in that weird stretchy worm game, you still feel like you're a natural staple in the universe, therefore making you feel like the most mundane part of the universe. This type of feeling is prevalent in the naked Verne Troyer game as well, in which you're the tool that lets everyone else have weird fun, rather than actually having the weird fun. This separates that from the successes I mentioned because in the games that were successful in the realm of the weird, you felt like you were the most active and important in the universe. Without you, the world seemed like it would run on whatever that version of the status quo was for them, but with you, it's truly delved into a weird, irrevocably changed, version of whatever universe you're affecting.")

And that, my friend, is how you discuss games.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
That came off as bizarre. And seeing as the topic is weirdness. I don't see a problem.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I got to the video page, saw yet more example of Jim's "I'm so fucking great everyone else can eat shit!" attitude, and found myself very tempted to put a block on your whole fucking site.

teh_steve

Nov 19, 2009
Ok, that's actually a half decent show for once.
See Jim, you can do a half good job, you obviously know your stuff. Stop trying to be a less likeable bastard off-spring of Yahtzee and Movie Bob, and give us some intelligent yet entertaining shows.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
teh_steve said:
Ok, that's actually a half decent show for once.
See Jim, you can do a half good job, you obviously know your stuff. Stop trying to be a less likeable bastard off-spring of Yahtzee and Movie Bob, and give us some intelligent yet entertaining shows.
Producing something intelligent requires intelligence yourself; something Jim clearly lacks.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I want to like this show, I really do. But I just can't get into it. I watched it and tried to laugh at the jokes but all I could do was bring myself to a smirk.

I did like that he finally brought up a topic that not many people (at least not that I've seen) have covered before so that's at least a step in the right direction

LIke someone earlier said, I'm sure he's got his fanbase but I'm just not part of it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
He puts across some very good points, but I dunno... if I want good points then I think that Extra Credit does it a lot better, and the humour aspect is, well... I guess he's trying to be humorously arrogant, but he comes across more as just plain arrogant and not that funny.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
The series seems to have started going down the right path, it started with more serious stuff and ranting and now it seems to have settled down a bit, the calm voice overs with game images helped a lot and also the show is more witty. I laughed a couple of times, so well done Jim, you've earned a regular viewer here.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This series is actually getting better with each episode. I'm annoyed that the Treno theme is getting harder to hear, but if that is my only complaint about the last couple of episodes then Jimquisition is doing something very right.
Jimbo said:
"Why can't I ride toucans?! Toucans are my favourite animal!! WHEN DOES JIM GET HIS SHARE???
Funniest thing I've seen in weeks!

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Demanding that games have actual GAMEPLAY in them?! You sick, SICK man!

While we're on this topic, Graveyard Graveyard Revolution [http://distractionware.com/games/flash/kotm/ggr/] is a better "Art Game" than its inspiration, The Graveyard [http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/]. I prefer my games at least have some kind of gameplay in them, otherwise they're just interactive digital trinkets, which is not a bad thin in itself though. It's just that I prefer to keep my digital gewgaws and my games in separate cupboards.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Hah. <- about sounds up my impression. There's potential here. Maybe with experience will come a decent gig and a new series for me to follow. If I think you deserve it. ;)

L33tMarvin

Feb 18, 2009
this whole week my mind has been on killer 7 and you talk about it...GET OUT OF MY HEAD DAMN IT but anyway killer7 was a great way for suda 51 to be known out of japan,I personally would like a cross over of no more heroes with killer 7 or a "Killer 7:part 2"

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Jimquisition makes me sad. He always has great points and I generally find myself totally agreeing with him. The problem is the way he delivers the humour. A review like this would probably read brilliantly, but in a video Jim comes across forced - he doesn't have the right kind of personality to make the script work so what would otherwise be funny jokes fall flat because they're delivered in an incredibly leaden way. It's a real shame, I really wanted to like Jimquisition. I guess some people have the gift of humorous public speaking, and some just don't.

vic.tz

Jun 16, 2007
I've watched all of the episodes, and I don't like this show. I really don't like this show. His similes are inept. His jokes aren't funny. His language is juvenile (as many have said). His topics aren't entirely relevant. His narcissism is unjustified. His criticisms are unqualified (at least he admits this much). I don't like the audio quality (changes between onscreen/voiceover), but that doesn't matter so much because I don't like his voice.

Jim is nothing more than a poor man's Yahtzee. Like, buying your clothes at walmart poor. Like, you don't even think twice about letting HER pick up the check poor. Like, you can't afford the $20 to let your kid go on the field trip, so he has to spend the day alone in the principal's office in his walmart clothes, and then the next day he has to explain to all the other kids why he couldn't go poor.

And now I've spent my frist pots complaining about some fat guy on the internet.