Jimquisition: The Xbox One: A Lying Failure Machine

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
KazeAizen said:
While I didn't think it would fail in quite this way I suspected it basically would be a two console race between the Wii U and PS4 with the Xbone limping behind in third place.
Just wait until Smash Bros hits the WiiU and No Man's Sky hits the PS4. It will be chaos.
I think you mean it will be a slaughter. It appears to me the only title Xbox has going for it is Sunset Overdrive and that doesn't seem to be enough to entice gamers to buy it.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Goliath100 said:
Evonisia said:
Besides that, this episode is basically a repeat of the recent apology episode and any post 180 turn Xbox One episode. Filler, I guess that's down to the summer being full of nothing worth thinking about.
Maybe it's time for a junk drawer episode? Or a episode where he corrects his former mistakes. Or a episode where he apologized for the shitty reviews og his, especially this one.
A Jimquistion Junk Drawer episode would be nice to see. If only because tossing off one sentence to topics already covered would probably be fast paced and enjoyable.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Any reason to give Microsoft shit, eh? Same with EA, Ubisoft, etc. People can't get enough of not just criticizing these big companies but rather making a big deal out of everything, and if they decide to reverse course and do something smart? By all means lets shame them for that as well. If anyone wonders why they don't seem to care about "you" as a customer, maybe its because "you" have a tendency to badmouth them no matter what they do. If it were me I'd care very little about the opinions of folks who never had one good thing to say about me, yet go out of their way to talk shit.
The reason people shame them in the first place is because they didn't seem to care about us right from the start by lying to and trying to screw the customers at every fucking turn, so, as with just about every problem in the game industry, this was a problem they caused. Also being silent or supposedly more dignified wouldn't get their attention, since the best they would've done then is pull out the old "hur dur it's just a vocal minority line." No, it was vocal criticism (and supposedly sagging preorder/sales figures) that got Microsoft to turn off its awful drm, and come out with a less shit version of its console... one that it still sells for $400 (maybe more depending on where you live) in spite of the fact that for all intents and purposes there's even less to separate it from the xbox 360 in terms of functionality, but still the way I see it we at least have nothing to lose everything to gain from shaming them.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Picture the scene; I'm delivering a parcel to a friend whos moved to a new house that I've never been to before. I've got a rough idea of how to get there, advice from friends and a vague map. While the journey in theory is a few streets away, I make a mess of it - I end up going down cul-de-sacs, I get stuck in one way streets but eventually I make it to the house and drop off the parcel.

Was the journey a fuck-up? Hah, definetly. Was it a failure? Well, no - the package was delivered.

I understand the sentiment behind what you're saying but I cant help feel its a bit silly to hold a grudge in such a way, almost cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
There are three phases:

1. Thinking about doing something.
2. Saying you're going to do something.
3. Actually doing something.

Are people seriously trying to give Sony shit about what they were alledgedly THINKING about doing? Good grief.

Microsoft graduated their bad ideas from the thinking phase to both the saying AND doing phase, which is why they deserve to be taken to task repeatedly.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Silentpony said:
(Don't even bother talking about the Wii U. Its a joke not a system)
It's the only current gen console I own and have any desire to own. Why is it a joke?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I'm honestly a little insulted by this episode. Mr. Sterling, I understand that you were just making a joke, but trying to pass off the gifts you've been mailed as some kind of "shut up, I'm right" card is nothing better than the worst kind of appeal to populism, and I expect better of you than to pass off that sort of tripe. You do not win because you have fans who send you stuff. You win because he rules of debate clearly state the person who has the pinkest tie wins, not because the tie was a gift. For shame, Mr. Sterling, for shame.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
THATS MY PURSE said:
Oh dear. Looks like with the abolition of TVTVTV and ADVERTISING and the announcement that Microsoft's going to put all their money into games like their consumers wanted them to do. The "Journalism" community is aghast because all that filthy lucre is now going to disappear. What a goddamn pitty. Better make a hastily made video about how it's a totally loser console for losers because they decided to do what consumers wanted and not the media and advertisers. Your superiors at Defy Media are probably chewing their arms off.
I'm confused. Which of Jim's services were being advertised by Xbox? Why was he critical before?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I don't want to debate you, Jim, because you're constantly right about everything. Debating it would just be superfluous.

As for Microsoft's spin-doctoring, yeah, never forget and don't forgive 'em. Still not buying a One 'til I see something worth buying, and right now that's limited to Sunset Overdrive and whatever the next Mass Effect game is going to be.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
theApoc said:
So Jim is complaining about a situation that he and the others who are like him created? You are complaining because they backed off of creating a media device and subsequently neutered it to stop the whining of people like yourself? It had clear potential that was eliminated the moment the company started making decisions based on game reviewers and silly rant videos.
No he's made it abundantly clear that he's upset because BEFORE they backed off they lied their asses off trying to pretend like they knew what people needed or wanted (obviously they didn't) and that they "couldn't" change it. And then when they changed it (see the lie there) they then, AFTER backing off, lied about always caring about giving choice to the consumer and then acted as though they were heroes to everyone. That's what this episode was about. No one forced Microsoft to go down the route of DRM/Kinect fetish. And when people called them out on it by saying "no we don't want this" they could have had the respect to admit they were wrong, but they didn't. Jim isn't upset because they backpedaled, he's upset because they're habitual liars. Being called on bullshit doesn't give Microsoft the "okay" to pretend like it was really concerned about the customer at all. It wasn't looking out for us, it was looking out for execs and shareholders. Had they apologized, admitted their fault and then fixed things, it could have gone smoother and maybe just MAYBE people would have a reason to trust Microsoft again. But they chose not to. They showed their true colors because they thought they had people by the balls (true dictator fashion) and now that they realized that they didn't, they tried to cover it up and act like they were really just caring about us. Bullshit.
Kinect may not be ready for prime time. But it is better than it was, and it will continue to get better still. And 5 years from now, people will wonder how there was every a device that wasn't spacial aware and capable of true voice command. It was never going to be anything more than a gimmick when it comes to games, and gaming should never have been the focus of the device.

The only thing the failed to do was emphasize the strengths of the kinect as its own thing. Instead they keep trying to tie it to gaming. When many of the features that could actually make it useful are pushed off as secondary.
Your right, it should have been its own device completely separate from gaming. Although you don't have to worry about speech recognition software in the future. If you have Windows PC you can go straight to Control Panel and click 'Speech Recognition' and with the use of a microphone that's far cheaper than Kinect you can have that exact experience.

MS has a terrible marketing department, for all of their devices and all of their software. Not because of what they are producing, but rather because they are marketing these things as if they are following rather than innovating.

The PS4 is no more relevant than the XBOX one, and that has nothing to do with fanboys or hardware. There was no real need for current gen, and they would have been a lot better off waiting until they were able to mass produce true next gen experiences. Until developers can utilize these devices 100%, both machines are a complete waste of money.
Actually even with all their excellent marketing, PS4 hasn't convinced me that its the future. Because sometimes, no amount of marketing can make something that isn't special, be special. PS4 played the Microsoft card and charged for online play acting as though they're using anything other than peer-to-peer or that they couldn't have made the money from devs just like steam does with their servers, instead of charging the end user for what clearly can be done for no extra charge. All that wonderful advertising about the new graphics didn't convince me that it was anymore necessary. Some of us know innovation when we see it. We don't need or are completely uninfluenced by advertisements. We look for evidence, proof beyond the wordplay.

Unfortunately neither device is as relevant as they want it to be. And there isn't a way to utilize these devices more than they already are. They don't use bogus/hidden tech that's exclusive to them anymore. They use x86/x64 based architecture (same as Computer) and have already been noted by several media outlets, devs and guys like Rich of ReviewTechUSA that these systems are tapped out. Devs are hitting more walls, faster than they have in any generation prior. They can barely get 1080p on games. Now that being said, I couldn't give a flip really. I'm not a "Graphics first, Gameplay last" kind of guy, but that being said it's still the case that these machines don't have any hidden features or horsepower to fall back on. Developers have already stated that much. The reason devs figured out secrets to "unlocking" the power of PS3 was because they had to learn to code with the insanely ridiculous CPU core they had on PS3. Once they figured that out (usually only done on exclusives) they could increase the power and offload resources more towards the CPU since it was the most powerful thing in the console. That just isn't going to happen on architecture that developers have been accustomed to for years (x86/x64), which is exactly what these consoles are using. And to the cloud, there have already been numerous articles as to why the cloud isn't going to redeem their lack of power in the systems.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
theApoc said:
Every bonus you just stated for the always-on part is something that could be done if a person just leaves it connected to the internet, but not having to require it. Some people don't want to have to connect to the internet to play games on a console. Over half of the 360 user base did not have XBL accounts, and so most likely were not connected to the internet at all times. Therefore, with that policy alone, Microsoft alienated half of their consumer base. The advantages, in today's world, do not out weigh the disadvantages.

As for the Kinect, there is also no reason to have been required, as seen by the fact that the XBone is doing better now without it. While it might add more ways to interact with the game, it should have remained an option. As with the "less fiddling about for non-gamers," I have to ask, how? Are they so brain dead to not know how to use a controller? If they're wanting to use TV, Netflix, Hulu, anything like that, shouldn't they know how to use a remote? A controller is simply a remote meant to be held for longer periods of time. So that shouldn't be the case.

There are so few advantages to the tier 1 XBone that, for so many people, do not out weigh the disadvantages. That is what's so anti-consumer about it.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Fasckira said:
Picture the scene; I'm delivering a parcel to a friend whos moved to a new house that I've never been to before. I've got a rough idea of how to get there, advice from friends and a vague map. While the journey in theory is a few streets away, I make a mess of it - I end up going down cul-de-sacs, I get stuck in one way streets but eventually I make it to the house and drop off the parcel.

Was the journey a fuck-up? Hah, definetly. Was it a failure? Well, no - the package was delivered.

I understand the sentiment behind what you're saying but I cant help feel its a bit silly to hold a grudge in such a way, almost cutting off your own nose to spite your face.
Your analogy only works if a bunch of people lining the streets are shouting directions at you, but you ignore them anyway.

You may have gotten it right eventually, true, but you can't pretend that you 'figured it out' for yourself.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Any reason to give Microsoft shit, eh? Same with EA, Ubisoft, etc. People can't get enough of not just criticizing these big companies but rather making a big deal out of everything, and if they decide to reverse course and do something smart? By all means lets shame them for that as well. If anyone wonders why they don't seem to care about "you" as a customer, maybe its because "you" have a tendency to badmouth them no matter what they do. If it were me I'd care very little about the opinions of folks who never had one good thing to say about me, yet go out of their way to talk shit.
Jim bad mouthed them because they're habitual liars. He states clearly what the problem with them is in the episode. He said that it's good that they changed, but don't trust them because of why they changed. Don't forget what they stood for and probably still stand for. They didn't change because they realized they were wrong. They lied and changed only because they couldn't get away with doing what they wanted to do originally, irrespective of how it would effect the user. You're right about one thing. They don't or won't listen to their customer, but not because they shouldn't, but because they think they know better.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
ex275w said:
The thing is, the Xbox One and PS4 audience is the one most willing to join gaming sites, read the news, etc. The Wii U and 3DS is more of a niche and Nintendo games do tend to attract younger audiences who won't join gaming sites and read the news. As for PC gaming... I guess they already have their news site or niche community.
And Vita gamers share their information on a telnet BBS installed on some hacked NSA server while drinking chai latte.

No. That's not "the thing." That's complete and utter nonsense. I hope you don't treat actual social groups with such broad generalizations as you do plastic video game toy owners.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
The Great JT said:
Still not buying a One 'til I see something worth buying, and right now that's limited to Sunset Overdrive and whatever the next Mass Effect game is going to be.
Considering Mass Effect:The Next One will also release on PC (and Sunset Overdrive is rumored to as well) there is really no reason to buy an Xbone. Even if SO doesn't come to PC, it's not worth buying the Xbone.

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
I simply cannot compete with Jim. Not after this. Maybe not ever and he's only now shown me why I was always a pleb.

Thank you for having mercy!

Seriously though, that Mysterio print/painting is ballin'.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
cyvaris said:
The Great JT said:
Still not buying a One 'til I see something worth buying, and right now that's limited to Sunset Overdrive and whatever the next Mass Effect game is going to be.
Considering Mass Effect:The Next One will also release on PC (and Sunset Overdrive is rumored to as well) there is really no reason to buy an Xbone. Even if SO doesn't come to PC, it's not worth buying the Xbone.
My computer isn't very good...I am shamed.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
Even though this was pretty much a repeat of last year's XBO episode, I must say the XBO is the first time I saw someone shitting the goodwill they built with their previous console in purpose. And Sony capitalized on that, leaving MS biting the dust. And I considered PS consoles as made of "unfullfilled promises" (hi, Mr. Kutaragi)

Heck, even the Wii U has more chances of picking up the slack than the XBO.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
So now its literally just a PS4 that plays Titan Fall, and not Bloodborne? Whelp, I like my souls games, so suck it MS.