Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Funny enough, when I was a kid, in my hometown everyone treated Duke as an idol - the amount of graffiti concerning him was huge, some signs are still left.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I really like this episode. He made his point in a clear and concise way and his humor was actually quite funny this time. I admit, I was squeamish about this series at first, but now I like it.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
It would be cool to have a game with a Duke like character at your side, only he's completely incompetent while you did all the work. Like a big trouble in little china videogame where your wang and Jack Burton is your npc partner

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I guess the irony of Duke runs too deep for these tykes. Good point on Sonic, though.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
I think it's a bit too early to tell what Duke Nukem will be from just the trailers. That said, this episode was well made and clearly argued, so good work with that.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
That was badical. This series is getting better, but it needs higher production values. Please, Escapist, send the good man a better camera.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
dunnace said:
Did you play Bulletstorm? It was almost anticipating the return of Duke and parodied the fuck out of the "too cool to be cool" character. Many dismiss Greyson as simply a "generic bad-ass space marine" but frankly in the games he's the only person who thinks he is cool. Everyone else thinks he's the dick he definitely is, and rather than being the god of his world he often causes catastrophic fuck ups based on his rash and indefensible behaviour. Bulletstorm, despite being a comedy at heart, is also quite a strong piece of character satire.
As much as the gameplay of Bulletstorm was most definitely not made for me (it bored me, I watched my roommate play through), the story and characterization was actually really well done at times. And yes, Greyson was definitely a send up of all those "shoot first ask questions later" types. Showing how much of an asshole these archetypes would really probably be (yeah crashing my ship into their ship sounds like a pretty good idea).

Best comedic moment of the game was being stuck in a room with a bomb, but wait! We've found a way out. Going through some vents, going through some vents, you know I really think we'll make it out of this oh we're back in the room with the bomb. Fuck, how did that happen. Great moment. Great comedic timing, which is hard to do in a game in the middle of gameplay.

In the end though, the Duke works for me too. I like how it doesn't take time to wink to the camera. We're getting a glimpse into the kinda world where a guy like Duke would be a national hero. And it's a completely absurd world. This character isn't taken seriously in the games, but the games aren't obvious about that fact.

I good analogy would be the Evil Dead movies. Ash started out too cool for school, and only by the time we got to Army of Darkness was the series very obviously poking fun at his character. And I enjoy both approaches.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Today was the first time I lol'd at Jimquisition.

Also, it's good to see someone saying something negative about Duke Nukem. I didn't get why people liked Duke in the 90's, let alone now.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Looking for character depth and undertones in Duke Nukem.lol. Couldn't miss the point harder if he tried. What's next? Trying to improve a chess game with a backstory on the feud between the Kings? Pimping Tetris with emotional tension between the differently shaped blocks? Some things are worth for what they are doing in a straight and simple fashion, complicating and convoluting them just detracts from it.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
Keava said:
Whiile i could agree on the Sonic point, i don't really see Duke as Jim describes him. I mean, ever since Duke Nukem franchise started it was a very obvious satire and DN3D probably was the pinncale of it. It was absurd, over the top, it was the bad-assery on the level of action movies featuring the 'manly-man' like Stallone or Van Damme creations.

Sure, you might say, times moved forward and the perception surely has changed, but a quick look at recent action flicks says "Hell no!". We still get the same type of movies in cinemas, the same type of ubermench that gets the chick, blows stuff up and saves the world, and that's why Duke fits in it. I don't see seriousness in the franchise at all, and satire does not need a giant, flashing clue in terms "OH LOOK IM FAILING TO BE FUNNY" to be satire.
i completely agree with this post Duke is never meant to be a serious game and ur not meant to actually like him as a person which is shown by his obvious douche baggery. there is no seriousness in this seriess. and thats where the comedy derives.

theres always a thing about jokes within christmas crackers. they're not meant to be funny, as that splits people who find them funny adn those that don't. but because their intentionally unfunny everybody is agaisnt the joke and comes together. thats where i think duke nukem comes in where all in it together in dukes unfunniness.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Oh, wow Jim, don't worry. No one is taking you seriously.

How to make an episode of Jimquisition:
1. Pick a random topic
2. Invent a side to that topic contrary to your opinion
3. Make fun of your audience for not liking your show
4. Now make fun of that contrary opinion even though it barely exists
5. Attempt to be ironic in a self-referential way... AGAIN
6. Rinse, Repeat for next week.

Apr 28, 2008
People actually take Jim's whole podium shouting narcissistic persona seriously?

Really?

Thats just fucking scary.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
A more thoughtful, understated outing that didn't make me want to smash a 2x4 into his face repeatedly. However, I think Jim has the Alanis Morissette definition of irony stuck in his head, as there's nothing ironic about a fat blogger with a whiny British accent dressing up in a trench coat and sunglasses. It's mostly just a sort of sad affectation.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
So basically any character that tries to be cool has to recognize that he is doing himself a disservice and ultimately appearing uncool?

Big old fat Jim doesn't seem to quite get it that Duke is also funny because the character is played straight, or even understand the inspiration of the character. You're supposed to be reliving the life of the ultimate 80s action star. Why would a bit of self-detriment add to it? It's supposed to be over the top and his world is supposed to be going along with it; he did save it after all.
­
­
And why is Jim's suit so over-sized? Did he recently lose a hundred pounds or something?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I thought that episode was better presented, at least he's dropped the crap paint art. Getting there Jim.

I don't agree with him about Duke Nukem, I pretty much think of him as a joke, but then again anyone with ovaries would. I completely agree with him about Sonic however that would make the character work much better.