Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
I like how this episode made a point, some of the other episodes were over-saturated in sarcasm to the underlying message was completely drowned-out. The series is definitely finding its voice.

Espsychologist

Sep 30, 2010
You're right. I've been selfish. I should take my JimQuil with a spoonful of sugar and like it!

XD

(Made in good fun as I know you were being facetious as well)

:)

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Good show. Really enjoyed your take on the Duke, but I've always thought it was more self aware than you give it credit for. Maybe like we're seeing the world through the Duke's eyes, where he is the big macho man awesomest guy ever. Maybe if we saw it from a different perspective it'd be completely different, but since we're playing as Duke everything is colored by his perspective.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Well he finally explained to some of the slower member of the escapist that he is a persona, cant belive the number of people who thought it was genuine.

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
Your ideas for sonic sound great... but i don't think Duke is as similar to the hedgehog as you say. I assumed that Duke's games were satire. Everyone IN the games love him, he's stereotypically handsome and macho, and he kicks alien butt. But he objectifies women, he's got a huge ego and he's rude. But it's all in satire. We love him too because we're in on the joke. He's like the Companion Cube from Portal!

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:
Jim fails at funny again.
I agree whole heartedly. I believe there was even a poll that asked the escapist if they wanted to keep this feature, and the highest vote was "NO".

And here we are, so poll = petition, and no one takes internet petitions seriously.
You know, if you watch his show, you're saying to the Escapist that you want to see more... it's the same thing if you watch shitty movie, play shitty video games or go to a bad restaurant...

A petition means nothing if there's no intention behind it :)
So, just ignore it and it'll go away? I don't know why I didn't think of that, it works every time, right? Try ignoring me, see if I go away. The point here being that if youwant change, you have to take an active part, so I will continue to speak out against it.

Feb 7, 2009
I didn't have a problem with the Jimquisition set of humor. I knew he was not being serious in his over-the-top sort of way and that it was meant in an ironic way. For me, the show just wasn't entertaining. Nothing against Jim. I just don't have the same reaction when I watch his show as when I watch, say, Loading Ready Run.

I did, however, feel that the description of his video last week (though it was meant to be ironic) was just going a little too far. Oh well, at least he had the sense to not do it on Memorial Day. (Yes, I know it's only and American holiday.)

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I think it's kinda sad the way he's portrayed in DNF.I actually agree with Jim in that aspect because DN is much akin to Johnie Bravo.Except nobody takes Johnie seriously whereas Duke is taken seriously in his own world.That made Johnie so likable because he was some super satire,Duke is supposed to be the same.Getting sucked off by 2 schoolgirls is wrong in a lot of countries as well.

Unless the game is there to fulfill everyone's self desires of being a douchebag who's not only awesome but gets everything he wants.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
while i agree with him i am not entirely sure dante was meant to be this over-the-top-ridiculous in DMC4. I always had the feeling they started out trying to play him straight but at some point realized nobody would like him that way and so they stopped dancing on the edge and just jumped.

Also who takes Duke serious? he was never meant to be serious, and Randy Pitchford imho does a brilliant job at selling that.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
pokepuke said:
So basically any character that tries to be cool has to recognize that he is doing himself a disservice and ultimately appearing uncool?

Big old fat Jim doesn't seem to quite get it that Duke is also funny because the character is played straight, or even understand the inspiration of the character. You're supposed to be reliving the life of the ultimate 80s action star. Why would a bit of self-detriment add to it? It's supposed to be over the top and his world is supposed to be going along with it; he did save it after all.
­
­
And why is Jim's suit so over-sized? Did he recently lose a hundred pounds or something?
Character don't go out of their way to do cool stuff.They just do stuff and you find em cool.

The ultimate 80s action hero was Jack Slater from Last Action Hero.He was awesome,he was cool.He still got knocked around and got his nose rubbed by the department chief who yelled a lot.He wasn't the ultimate badass in his world who got whatever he wanted.There was also a point where he crossed over in the real world and noticed just how fragile he was despite the persona he had in the movies.

Hey still gunna play Duke Nukem but there's points that need mentioning and could've made awesome comedy.But hey I haven't seen it yet.Everything can't be perfect.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
The point you made about Duke Nukem is precisely the problem I have with your show, Jim: You're not giving us enough material to make you seem like a doofus when you pretend to act cool. It seems more like you're playing a straight character. You changed that some in this episode, and it worked; I found this to be a pretty funny episode compared to your earlier ones.

Obviously no one thinks you ACTUALLY think you're as cool as you pretend to be, but when you combine intelligent opinions with a character who thinks he's awesome, it comes off as more of an annoying jerk than a bumbling fool. So yes, your persona seems to conflict with the content of your show.

I hope you can find a good balance. This episode was definitely a step in the right direction.