Jimquisition: Who "Won" The Next-Gen Launch?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, I sort of expect this to be more or less the ending to the story arc on South Park. I imagine only one kid gets in. Butters. And he buys a Wii U. Just because that would be the type of ending Matt and Trey would do.

Honestly, I get what you're saying Jim. Personally, I didn't buy a PS4 for it's launch lineup. I bought it for what will come out later. For games like Infamous: Second Son and Destiny. For Uncharted 4 and the strong indie support. And any other games they end up with in the future, third party and otherwise.

The only games I've ever been interested in from Nintendo is Zelda. And I don't buy a console for one game. That's my rule.

TizzytheTormentor said:
I recently got a Wii-U (with the Zelda gamepad) and the Wind Waker HD bundle and I do agree that I set it up while being very excited, I was playing both Super Mario Bros U and Wind Waker HD with a silly grin on my face and I was having fun simply browsing the eShop.

I am excited for my PS4 on Friday (EU release dates) But I am not sure the game I am getting (Killzone) will particularly excite me except for its prettiness.
Well, I can tell you that Killzone looks pretty, but has it's issues. Some AI failures, annoying moments, and such. You should check out Angry Joe's review on Youtube. He was pretty fair to it.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Meh; I'll just wait a bit while PC hardware gets more powerful and drop about $400 so on a PC more powerful than any of the current consoles. About halfway through the last-gen I bought a LAPTOP that is more powerful than the PS3 or Xbox 360 and it is doing quite nicely with an nVidia GeForce GT 330M being able to run EVERYTHING released on PC in the last gen as well as EVERY previous console generation via emulation AND the complete library of DOS games. However this generation may prove too much for it and I will have an excuse to upgrade (I am not a graphics whore and prefer a good aesthetic but Bioshock Infinite has to be run on low settings - it still looks damn AMAZING but as the next gen overtakes my current laptop I will be left unable to run new games except for the artificially-inflated-requirements CoD:Ghosts which is still running on the CoD4 engine!)

treeroy

May 17, 2013
The PS4 and Xbox One are cheap PCs, but the Wii U is different, it actually feels unique compared to the other two. I disagree that the Wii U is innovative - to me it seems like a hi-res Wii - but it's definitely a bit different. The only thing Sony and Microsoft's consoles have going for them is the exclusives.

That said, I would pick the PS4 if given a choice between the three, because I want Gran Turismo 7 and The Last Guardian. That's not saying much for the console though.

I also really disagree with the notion that the Wii U's games are innovative. I have never laid hands on a Zelda title, but Mario is just the same shit every time, it's just as bad as Call of Duty.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I somehow knew you were going to pick the Wii U. It might have been how much you've fawned over it in the past; yeah, probably that.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Big_Isaac said:
Does anyone else think handhelds are being unfairly excluded from this console war shenanigans?
'cause I'm pretty sure the 3DS has the best library out of the current gen systems right now.
Where you say "unfairly excluded" I say "mercifully spared."
BWAHAHAHA! God bless you Jim. Funny ep as always.

Although, I might add that the whole "sameness" argument falls a but short when considering anything Mario (personally have OD'ed on Mario games, though I acknowledge them as competent).

Anyhoo, I don't understand this idea that we have to "declare a winner" at all, much less so soon after launch. I think we can all agree that there will be little of worth to play on the systems until next year anyway.

If anything, I simply WANT PS4 to win, simply to send M$ a message about anti-consumer policies, not b/c I have some vested interest in Sony. Moreover, if we are speaking companies, Sony is no less culpable. It isn't only about the fans. If it was all about the fans, Sony would have sold Spiderman back to Marvel long ago.

Corporations need to make money, after all. I don't mind, so long as they don't devolve into the quagmire that results in flaming forums. Anecdotal evidence suggests, however, that they tend to prefer such vitriol-inducing tendencies.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I was going to disagree with Jim, but after looking at the Wii U I realized something...

It has games. Not tech demos, real games! I'm coming Wind Waker!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Wii U seems interesting to me in that PS4/Xboxone don't have any great games yet but when I sort WiiU reviews at www.gamespot.com high to low, the only two games that really interest me are Deus Ex, Batman and Mass Effect 3. Got 'em already. All of them.

Hope PS4 has a great library this time next year.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
ars731 said:
You know Jim, you shouldn't lick strange consoles, you dont know where they been or how much lead they have in the paint
I think he knows exactly were they've been. And that makes it even worse. UGK!

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
mjc0961 said:
You PC master race people sure are weird. Missing out on so many great franchises and games just because of whatever the inane reason of the day is.
The reason I miss out on most of the franchises is simply that the day only has 24 hours of which I spend, on average, 8 working and 8 sleeping.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Colt47 said:
I was going to disagree with Jim, but after looking at the Wii U I realized something...

Kinda defeated by your own comment there. While Wind Waker HD is an absolutely fantastic game, it is still a tech demo. But you know what I'm glad that is what the did for a tech demo, we have reached the point in consoles that their power increase means nothing in terms of gameplay. Wind Waker HD is a Wii U tech demo showing off/nintendo experimentation of the Wii U's visual capabilities but unlike most other tech demos it's a remake of a beloved and proven game.

Jun 20, 2013
I'm going to have to agree. It's the only console out of the three that I actually feel like like buying for the holidays, I probably wont, because money is a thing, but if I were to rush out and get a new console, Wii U would definitely be it. While Nintendo does it's fair share of bullcrap, I agree with them on a few key points, such as used games. Being stuck in the past isn't always such a bad thing.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Ken_J said:
Colt47 said:

Kinda defeated by your own comment there. While Wind Waker HD is an absolutely fantastic game, it is still a tech demo. But you know what I'm glad that is what the did for a tech demo, we have reached the point in consoles that their power increase means nothing in terms of gameplay. Wind Waker HD is a Wii U tech demo showing off/nintendo experimentation of the Wii U's visual capabilities but unlike most other tech demos it's a remake of a beloved and proven game.
Still more of a game than Kill Zone Shadowfall ^^;

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Korihor said:
I for the most part am a pc gamer.
Pcs are superior in graphics, price, and space saving.
However, there is one area pcs have not matched and that is innovation.
I own a Wii U for both the exclusive games and the sheer fun of the hardware.
That tablet controller is fun to play with.
I also like to play occasionally the motion controls.

I also like the fact that Nintendo does not care what other publishers are doing.
Instead Nintendo does what is best for them.
I've got the same sort of mindset here. As a PC gamer, I find that Sony and Microsoft mostly seem to compete against PC gaming. Having a gaming PC lessens the need for a Playstation, and makes an Xbox almost completely redundant. Nintendo on the other hand, makes a much better complement. They make a different brand of games than whats found on the PC for when you want to veg out on the couch and engage in some nostalgia (I played Nintendo and Sega games growing up). Even though I don't play it that often I've never regretted buying a Wii first, which ended up being my only console from last gen.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
I (as well?) still think the capabilities of consoles are mostly defined by their games and by that in a way, yes, the Wii U still has kind of a lead right now.
But honeslty, i just looked up the entire list of games currently released and announced for the Wii U and it has exactly 1 (in words "one", singular) original title... which is Zombie U. The rest is sequels above same old series titles above spinnoffs above remakes for the console of games already released on others - and, no shit, i just saw a documentary released this year in which Miamoto himself said "Nintendo would always try to do something 'new'". Congratulations for this awesome "win of the console wars", with yet another feature barely used in half their games and even less used well (the Wii U GamePad, but at least they kinda get how to use the WiiMote right now) and for finaly providing up to date services. And what would that tell us about the current state of consoles?!
I could stress everytime that Nintendo "made me a gamer" and that it will always have at least a nostalgic value for me, but right now my device of choice is a PC, period.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
StormShaun said:
It both sucks and yet not suck since that day is my birthday. Yet EbGames (Gamestop to the US) are willing to place my order back and I am going back there and kick someones teeth in if they want to ruin my birthday.
Wouldn't E.B Games also be E.B Games to the US, seeing as it is an American company?
You might be right, I always thought that they changed their name to Gamestop in the US and it remained unchanged to Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

But once more I have no idea, but the Australian one did return a tweet of mine which was cool.
Hopefully I can get the first batch of PS4s coming out over here. ^_^