Jimquisition: Why PC Gaming Gets Away With It

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Holythirteen said:
Ah, now there's a good Jim, at least I have a handy reference for when this argument pops up again.

Man these consoles are becoming tricky things now. Console gamers are running out of excuses to not go PC.
You mean beisdes prohibitive cost?

Or the fact that some of us have an extensive console library already?

Or the unspoken guarantee that a game put in a console will work, every time?

Now granted with the next gen looking to make consoles into shitty PC's, instead of like Jim said and a staying slightly behind the curve, this argument may have some merit, but until that time where I no longer have to carry around a sticky note with my system specs written down when I go shopping, I'm staying console.

If consoles stay slightly behind the technology curve, then games are cheaper, developers don't have to sink millions into eye-fucking graphics, and consumers reap the rewards of convient, fun games. Nowadays, there's so much wasted money being thrown around, that publishers are terrified of the games not selling seven digits in a week.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
LaochEire said:
I don't really post on The Escapist, but can I just say that Steam is an absolute rip off when it comes to new games. In fact over in Ireland Gamestop can undercut Steam with a physical retail copy of a PC game by ?20 euro. I never understood the myth about Steam being this bastion of excellence and the main reason to own a PC.

Sure, it has those great sales and they are great, but if I want a game upon release I would have to wait up to a year before it becomes anyway affordable on Steam.

Honestly, with Steam. I really just don't get it. Someone enlighten me, please.
Their conversion rates are notoriously pretty shite, though they are set by the publishers from what I understand.

It's mostly the sales. On launch, they'll match retail prices if the game has a physical disk, but they frequently have sales even for new games that can go up to half off what you would get in a store.

I think Amazon offers slightly better deals every so often, but that's about it.

OT: I always chuckle a little whenever people say Steam has a monopoly over PC gaming. Sure, it's the big titan, and even when you buy off of Amazon or in retail there's a chance you'll have to add the game to a Steam account to play it, but you really don't have to actually buy off of Steam to play on PC, and as mentioned in the video GOG offers DRM-free titles with practically no restrictions.

Though I have to say, I think it's a little disingenuous to complain about the lack of backwards compatibility when the PS2 was the first console to ever actually really do backwards compatibility in the first place. I mean, sure, Sony and Microsoft were both relative newcomers to the gaming industry and all, but Sega and Nintendo never did backwards compatibility (unless you count the Gameboy Color, I suppose) and before that it was just the Atari 7800--at least so far as official backwards compatibility built in to the base product is concerned. There have been a lot more consoles than there have been ones that were backwards compatible.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
Arcade Hero X said:
LaochEire said:
I don't really post on The Escapist, but can I just say that Steam is an absolute rip off when it comes to new games. In fact over in Ireland Gamestop can undercut Steam with a physical retail copy of a PC game by ?20 euro. I never understood the myth about Steam being this bastion of excellence and the main reason to own a PC.

Sure, it has those great sales and they are great, but if I want a game upon release I would have to wait up to a year before it becomes anyway affordable on Steam.

Here man I live in Ireland too and your a bit wide of the mark really. I have seen copies of terraria go for ?25 quid in GS while it's standard price on steam is ?9.99 also GS matches the price for most new releases.......except COD which is ?10 cheaper than steam for some reason. GS Ireland really can't give a fuck about PC games and as an ex employee I can attest to that I mean there is literally a 1x1 foot spinning shelf thing in my local GS for PC games and most other stores the PC games are hidden away from view while the Steam vouchers are right in your face as you walk in.
I understand so just an update on a few titles. Don't forget I'm talking about pre-order or brand new releases.

Company of Heroes 2
Steam 49.99
GS 39.97

Rome Total War 2
Steam 54.99
GS 44.97

Skyrim Legendary Edition
Steam 39.99
GS 29.97

Bioshock Infinite
Steam 49.99
GS 34.97

Total savings from shopping at GS over Steam ?45.08. That's a massive difference.

I swear as soon as I go and try to get more examples the bloody site goes down.

Edit to say I will update the post with more when GS website decides to co-operate.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
This video should be titled: "The differences between a proprietary system and a non-proprietary system"
Consoles are proprietary; you play only what the console maker allows, by their limitations. The honey of course, is that the console provides a streamlined experience with little muss and fuss.

And the Xbone wanted to do away with that. Oh sure, it claimed to offer that sort of experience, but with all the added DRM, herding and Market Fencing schemes, there was no way it could actually back that claim up.

And I just know some idiot is going to stumble into this thread raving about "B-b-b-b-BUT the Xbone offered us GAME SHARING! It was TEH FUTURE and you monsters KILLED IT with your misunderstanding! 90% game discounts! That's what you tossed away! Shame on you!"

While repeatedly failing to realize the numerous major assumptions one would have to make to realize that idealized scenario, and ignoring all drawbacks that come with that sort of system.

It's that sort of person that necessitated this video, Jim.

Apr 28, 2008
GAunderrated said:
Irridium said:
canadamus_prime said:
Man, do I miss the days when I could just pick up and play on my consoles without all the bullshit.
Yeah, that's why I've moved back to playing on the PC. At least I can get the benefits of PC gaming along with the bullshit, where now with consoles it's the bullshit of PC gaming without any of the benefits.

How I play PS2 games: Put disk in tray, play.

How I play PS3/360 games: Update console, put disk in tray, update game, play.

How I play PC games: Install/download it, update it, faff about to get it to work (not always needed, though), play.
Small nit pick on the PC side, when you install/download it does the update for you. You don't download a game than it updates, it does the update while downloading/installing.
Only on Steam. I primarily buy physical copies or from GoG because lol downloading modern games on my 80kb/s internet connection lol.

Though in GoG's case I don't need to update, which is nice.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
People still order on day 1 and pre-order?!?!

I stopped doing that when Diablo 3, Mass Errect 3 and a few others failed to live up to expectations while simultaneously costing the earth and requiring stupid restrictions...oh just remembered Battlefield 3, stupid web browser launcher tied to origins. So yeah if you want to buy 1st day steam is probably not the best, though a lot of the time you can pre-load so it's ready bang on the day without doing anything.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I'm still mad that retail PC games just come with Steam codes now. I remember being able to install... hell. Even Fallout 3 on multiple people's computers at once, and now everything is bolted to a single account instead.
The solution to that is to have one account and share the password with your friends. If you hesitate to do so, (presumably because you're worried of what your friends will do to the reputation of that account), then it proves that Steam adds enough value to justify its DRM.

Since Steam allows you to install the game any number of times on any number of computers (with a few notable exeptions that, in my experience, seem to always be a developer choice; Borderlands' DLC is one of these, I think) it works even BETTER than the days when Fallout 3 was around and games could only EVER be installed on 3-4 PCs.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
LaochEire said:

That's one shortcoming of Steam that only affects people overseas. Valve is bad at currency conversions. TB used to bring it up a lot more when he was living in England (and still does when talking about sales). All too often they will either have prices that don't line up very well by what currency you're using, or they don't bother to convert at all and you get silly things like 30 dollars = 30 pounds = 30 euros.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
the antithesis said:
Not to mention that you can put together a gaming PC for the price of a console these days.

So consoles don't even have the lower price point to make them attractive.
Thank you for linking me this! I've favorited one of this guy's videos for the future. >:3

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Machine Man 1992 said:
Holythirteen said:
Ah, now there's a good Jim, at least I have a handy reference for when this argument pops up again.

Man these consoles are becoming tricky things now. Console gamers are running out of excuses to not go PC.
You mean beisdes prohibitive cost?

Or the fact that some of us have an extensive console library already?

Or the unspoken guarantee that a game put in a console will work, every time?

Now granted with the next gen looking to make consoles into shitty PC's, instead of like Jim said and a staying slightly behind the curve, this argument may have some merit, but until that time where I no longer have to carry around a sticky note with my system specs written down when I go shopping, I'm staying console.

If consoles stay slightly behind the technology curve, then games are cheaper, developers don't have to sink millions into eye-fucking graphics, and consumers reap the rewards of convient, fun games. Nowadays, there's so much wasted money being thrown around, that publishers are terrified of the games not selling seven digits in a week.
Most of your arguments can be trumped by experience. Once you get good with a PC, you can make the thing dance to your whims. Also, if you spend any kind of decent money on a system, rest assured, it'll at least play everything, not on high, but it'll play everything. You can build a PC like that for about 500 bucks and save yourself some money by using an HDMI cable to use the tv you've already got as a monitor.

Also, something interesting is that having a new console generation with more powerful graphics hardware will actually lower the cost of making games. See, it's actually very very difficult to get the kind of performance out of outdated hardware that we tend to get. It's amazing how good Farcry 3 looks on the Xbox 360, given the specs of the 360. In order to do that takes a mountain of work and still have the engine deliver top tier graphical performance.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Consoles still have draconian DRM. Or has everybody forgotten MS and Sony bricking modded systems? No sign that has gone or is going anywhere on consoles. On the PC the worst they can do without a court is cancel your account. Which if you've pirated things shouldnt be a big issue to you....

Tuppence870

Apr 8, 2013
Most of what Jim is saying is absolutely true, but Steam still has the power to pull a game from the market whenever it pleases.

For example, when Activision lost the rights to the James Bond 007 franchise, it pulled every Bond game from Steam, without warning and without refunds. I'm glad I chose to buy 007: Legends for my PS3, because I can obviously still play it, and it even still has servers running for online multiplayer.

Which brings me to the other thing that consoles have that PC never will. Split-Screen multiplayer was the feature that originally got me into gaming, with great titles like TimeSplitters 2 that were clearly optimised for it on the PS2.

Admittedly the increased workload that came with the PS3 generation of consoles began to see a reduction in this feature, but when it was there it was easily the highlight of the game. I can only imagine what how PS4 and Xbox One will further neglect this vital side of console gaming...

But remember that in order to have any kind of multiplayer on a PC, you need a second PC (and if Steam is involved, a second copy of the game), while on a console you only need a second controller - a much cheaper and more convenient investment.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
PC and console have both had problems and advantages but recently consoles have been trying to be more like computers and so far have only taken the bad of PC gaming and almost none of the good. I don't want i shit computer under my TV I want a gaming console that lets me just throw in a game and play no hassle, no passcodes or DRM with owned, burrowed and rented games. Consoles stop trying to be a PC I already have one not to mention my TV can do some of that stuff too.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
LaochEire said:

I agree, I don't understand the pricing either and it's often a significant amount of time before the price becomes reasonable. Although I never buy new games from there and almost always buy from sales.

If PC was your only gaming platform, then I couldn't see buying from Steam being the best choice if you like playing games upon release.

Although a lot of that is a problem outside of the US. Steam often tends to convert directly from dollars into euro's and pounds, whereas retail games don't.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I like PC gaming because:

- It's all digital, I don't need boxes over boxes of games (exception of Collector's Edition).

- MODS are awesome!

- Mouse & Keyboard precision and keybindings makes it best for my tastes when it comes to gaming.

- Backwards compatibility is the key here. The fact that I can play games like System Shock 2 on Windows 7 without any problems is amazing in my eyes. I really hope more old games will get a "compatibility" port on new OS's. It's impossible for me to play Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines on Win7 which saddens me greatly.

These are a few things why I'm sticking to PC gaming and don't even want to hear about getting a console. You can keep your exclusives.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Thank you for that long extended blowjob Jim.

The PC master race is pleased with your continued service in our war against the peasant rebellion.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
SNCommand said:
To be honest I think buying a physical copy for PC and having to go through Steam is bullshit, PC was for a time so high on the "PC gaming master race" that it totally missed that personal ownership was being pulled away from under their feet
Or rather, they signed an EULA that claimed to take away personal ownership from them, and then they all started singing "Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum", and proceeding to own the games that they have bought anyways.

Just as it was said in the video, by it's very nature of the platform's openness, a PC gamer will always have a lot more opportunity to continuing to own their games through fan-made cracks and patches, and emulators.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Andy of Comix Inc said:
The fact that you can just literally copy the files of old PC games over with absolutely no hassle at all really does make DRM a necessity
That reminds me, actually; with The Witcher 2 you wouldn't even need to know how to do that. The game comes with a serial code that you can use to get a free DD copy of the game from GOG. Since the disc version is also DRM-free, it can be resold... so it's entirely possible to download your free GOG copy and then sell your disc.

Would that qualify as piracy? It's certainly a dick move.