Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
Well, you make a good point. And I'm surprised and slightly disappointed at how small the shitstorm is. C'mon people, get your rage on!

Sep 13, 2010
I must disagree with this, when I put the witcher 2 in my xbox it worked without any issue, when I tried the pc version on my pc, it crashed.

I will switch to pc gaming when they invent a gaming rig that costs less then $300 and is 100% compatible with everything released for it.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Bigsmith said:
thanatos388 said:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.
I WAS WAITING FOR THIS.

I have a very basic system, it's almost 6 years old. Was refurbished when it was bought for me (So we're probably looking onto about 8 now), I've spent about £30 on second hand hardware (Yes it does exist) and about £40 on some new Ram.

The computer was £200 to start with. Oh and last time I checked I was playing Mass effect 3 (It's just an example of a recent game) on medium graphical settings.

So what, it's cost me about £270 and I'm still a head of current gen consoles.

So I dare someone to run up to me and say that you need to spend thousands of pounds/ dollars to get a decent gaming computer.

Oh also, I completely agree with everything said in this video. :3
And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200. Which, including warranty, taxes and everything else probably costs at least $1400. And that's on LOWER settings. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I don't think it's likely that anyone is dishing out enough $1500 computers at a $200 value for everyone who wants one to be able to buy one.

There's a couple big areas other than cost where I prefer consoles. First of all, having a controller with analog sticks, it makes a huge difference for me, especially in games where movement is very important. Dark Souls is a game that I would have so much issue playing with a mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately as many people have said this point is kind of moot, as you can buy controllers for computers.

However, one that still does hold up is local multiplayer, which is sadly an area of gaming that isn't getting nearly as much attention anymore. Online gaming is alright, but often when I have friends over, or am at a friends house I want to play a game with them face to face. Super Smash Bros, Gears of War, Halo, all games that I much prefer to play with people in the same room. You could argue that you can do that with computers, but that's counting on everyone not only owning a computer and the game, but also having lugged their set up over to your place. Which having tried to do several times in the past, usually ends up being a massive hassle that doesn't work out (I have several rather unreliable friends). And what happens when it doesn't work out? We plug in the one Wii and play Super Smash Bros
Either you are exaggerating or you are just stupid with computers. My old computer with an Athlon X2 250 and 5770 can run Skyrim on mid-high with good FPS. And that computer is now worth about 200$.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I think Jim shouldve touched bases with a few other PC gaming myths in the video as well. such as "have to upgrade constantly" or "takes 3 hours to install"(read those in whiny teen voice).

First one you dont need to constantly upgrade to play games, you just need to be a smart consumer when you buy the PC and get one that is the best you can afford at the time. usualy it will go 3-4 years before games are now low to lowest settings in the early 2000's, by the time core2quads came out you are looking at 5 or 6 years if you bought decent hardware. Any upgrades like buying a video card that is 2 generations later for about $50 just extends the lifetime before the rig becomes too old and slow for the latest and greatest. By the time the latest games wont run on the PC the majority of new software wont run well on it or at all and it needs to be retired anyway.

Researching into what hardware to get is not as hard as what allot of people claim, thats just being lazy and not taking the time to use google or find a PC enthusiast message board and simply ask whats the best you can get for X amount of money. For reasearching hardware on your own, look at prebuilt PC's in your price range and make note of what hardware is in it. RAM, CPU, and GPU are the most important. once you know what parts they have type the model numbers in google with the word "review" or "comparisons" and start reading the parts you understand like didnt stack up to the competition, or not as good as for same price, good review or bad. Researching any electronics is always a good thing unless you are a brand fanboy.

If it takes someone 3 hours to install anything on a routine basis that it is a norm and not an exception then sadly I am going to say hit the power button on your PC, box it up, and give it to someone else who is not a complete fucktarded idiot. Yes there will always be that one program that is incompatible with your hardware, sorry but it will happen so get over it, as long as you have a PC there is that possibility even if you never even play a game on it including solitaire or minesweeper, but if it happens to you so much you feel the need to whine and cry about it? you are a fucktarded idiot who is the problem and not PC's or gaming on PC's.

Install problems can also be atributed to not picking the best hardware you could when you bought the rig, this is why you need to be a smart consumer rather than a sheep following the Dell and Apple comercials, the electronics store ads for what rigs they are selling, and brand recognition. PC's should be considered a major purchase on par with cars and trucks when it comes to researching the pros and cons. A shitty el-cheapo PC will give you grief when installing and using software.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
There is ONE benefit to gaming on consoles.

ONE and ONE alone.

Consoles are cheaper.

Oh, the games aren't no sure, but consoles now are very cheap, it isn't hard to find a 360 that costs less than $100, while you will be hard press to find any computer that will play modern games at all for anything less than $400.

Besides that... yeah, nothing wrong with being a PC gamer. :)

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Nice argument but I have been totally satisfied with my console. Like a lot of things it all comes down to taste. I have been a part time PC gamer for half of my life and I have always been happier with the latter.

objecterror

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks Jim, this was a great video that I agree on in many different aspects. Specifically those on the online community, Unreal tournament 2004 had a fan favorite server that I played beyond the demo into the full version of the game almost seamlessly. It wasn't the graphics of unreal that kept me on the game 8 or 9 hours at a time, it was the challenge of getting one or more kills over the other guy who bested me 4 times over the past few matches.

In Halo or Gears, I don't know or care who killed me last match, I have no connection with them, the players in online multiplayer are as good as the NPCs I hastily roar through on my way to get the cliff notes of the quest for more exp.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
JokerboyJordan said:
I play console so I don't get stuck with shitty PC ports, because everybody supports consoles.
There.
This is what pisses me off. Devs and publishers have a huge hard on for the console industry and make their games for consoles, and then port them to pc crapily (new word). I currently love dice now. They stopped catering to the console crowd with bad company and released a truly pc game bf3. Many console players were upset about how bf3 played, and to that I say this: suck it up, we've been dealing with your shitty analog stick controls for years.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I think the problem has more to do with considering only triple-A titles rather than gaming in general. Once you go outside the triple-A title segment, things seem to quiet down more and become more stable. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's just how it seems to me.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
TwiZtah said:
Bigsmith said:
thanatos388 said:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.
snip
And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200.
snip.
Sorry i didnt want to scroll up but I am backing you here...

less than 30 seconds at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108938

less than 2 minutes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883203766

Someones argument holds water like a bucket made out of window screen.

rebelscum

Jun 8, 2009
I use both.

Speaking as someone who currently can't afford to spend anything on new tech, I'm perfectly happy with both my laptop and my 360. My laptop kinda sucks, in that it can't play anything post-Bioshock without slowing to a crawl, but there's still plenty of support from Steam and GoG that I can use it to play old stuff that passed me by years ago. Nowadays, given the choice between buying, say, Second Sight on my old PS2 or PC, I get the PC version. I'm perfectly happy with PC gaming, and have only once brought something that wound up not being compatible with my laptop.

On the other hand, I use my console for recent releases my laptop can't handle and I don't have a problem with that either. I will also add that in my experience consoles are much, MUCH more friendly in terms of getting someone into gaming. For all the talk of "console-tards" that goes on in gaming forums, it fails to register with some people that others interested in getting into gaming are just crap with technology, and it's unfair to generalise them as too dumb for games. My much younger brother has just got into Mario Kart, and a flatmate who had zero experience with games played through Alan Wake on 360 and enjoys Rock Band sessions. For them, the ability to just be able to turn on a console, press one button and be immediately in the game was invaluable in getting them on board, and I found that they found analogue sticks easier to get a handle on than mouse + keyboard. Other people's experience may differ, but in terms of introducing people to the hobby, consoles do have the edge.

But I love them both, is that really such a controversial opinion nowadays?

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
There are a lot of benefits a hardcore gamer with a limitless supply of money can enjoy with a PC. For a while, when I didn't have any bills to pay, I loved PC gaming and was on the bandwagon that it was far and away the best gaming choice. It was when I began to get weary that I needed to upgrade my rig every year if I wanted to keep playing those games, along with the general hassle and outrageous cost that came with. I found I was spending more on upgrading the computer then I was on games to play on it.

I stopped staying up to date on PC gaming after my motherboard crapped out and left me at square 1 with nothing to show for it. I basically needed a whole new computer after dumping thousands into the one I had. If that's not a drawback you don't have to worry about with consoles, I don't know what is.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Anyone know what game the final scenes of this episode came from? The ones with the army/navy dudes, the space ship etc. It looks pretty cool.

Thanks

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
sevenrings said:
There are a lot of benefits a hardcore gamer with a limitless supply of money can enjoy with a PC. For a while, when I didn't have any bills to pay, I loved PC gaming and was on the bandwagon that it was far and away the best gaming choice. It was when I began to get weary that I needed to upgrade my rig every year if I wanted to keep playing those games blah blah blah lies lies lies
BUZZZZZZZZZ! You fail! Read the rest of this thread then GTFO!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
My PS3 is just a portable gaming machine. Sometimes its easier just to grab that and hook it upto a friends TV for a night of gaming than hauling my PC and finding a TV that'll support it (my monitor is a TV, too big to take to a friends). However I agree that in general its getting rediculasly favourable towards the PC

lol, captua = just dance

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.
Mods are more than graphical updates.

The best mods either add to a game in amazing ways (and yes, this can be graphically) or utilize the game's engine or assets to tell their own story.

I can name dozens of amazing mods that really add to a game or are small games on themselves. It's the biggest reason I'm a PC gamer: that wonderful, creative, passionate group of modders who keep making new and interesting things.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
JET1971 said:
TwiZtah said:
Bigsmith said:
thanatos388 said:
snip
And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200.
snip.
Sorry i didnt want to scroll up but I am backing you here...

less than 30 seconds at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108938

less than 2 minutes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883203766

Someones argument holds water like a bucket made out of window screen.
You honestly think that the AMD Radeon HD 6320 and 6530D are valid gaming graphics cards? Maybe if you use photoshop for gaming.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Have to agree with jim on this. It's got to the point that I havent switched on the 360 for months coz I'm flashed with shitty adverts before I can start a game. Just on the main blade the biggest panel is for rolling ads, the panel for he game is a small little thing dumped on the left hand side, it's even out numbered by ads.