Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
lotr rocks 0 said:
what this guy said. I expect my computer to last at least 4 years before I switch out the graphics card for a newer one or buy a twin to my current and run sli.

hooksashands said:
Fact: Current-generation graphics cards (256 bit) for PCs still cost a shit-ton just by themselves. Sorry, but I'm not spending $250-$600 on one component. Custom PCs are great, yea. The cost to build them, not so much.
Thats why you wait until the new model comes out, then buy the old one that stores are trying to get rid of on huge sales.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
That's why I say that the only console worth buying is a Nintendo console. They are trying to get away from the PC, not to embrace it. I'm mainly a PC game, but I own every Nintendo console.
Almost all console games I want to play are multi platform games. I can't play them on my PC.

But I couldn't do that with Nintendo games I really want to play. I couldn't play Monster Hunter Tri, or Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Red Steal 2... all great games that I would have missed if I didn't have a Wii. But there is only one game I missed that I really want to play. Little Big Planet. But buying a PS just for that would be stupid.

P.S. I know some of the games I listed aren't Nintendo games, but they are Wii exclusives.

EDIT:
And I never had a problem with games not running on my PC.
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Ne1butme said:
I recently just got a PS3. I've been a PC gamer for years, but my wife wanted a HD console to go with our new TV. Fair enough, went with a PS3 because it had the exclusive games that i wanted to play.

Holy crap, is it a mess. The games are fine, but Sony's store is terrible. Perhaps i'm just used to steam, but when i download a game (or even just a demo), wait 10+ minutes for the demo to install, then find out i have to download and install another patch for the DEMO, all i can think is "What the Fuck??". (how's that for a run-on?)

Just yesterday, i downloaded the demo for wipeout HD. It's a digital demo from Sony's own store. Downloaded the gigabyte file, and it took 10 minutes to install. Then i try to run it. Nope, PSN says that i need version 1.01, so i have to download 6 additional patches and install them.

Fix the copy on the main server!!!
In certain cases, the demos for PSN games are simply chopped down versions of the full game. In essence, you download the full game but it only lets you play a small part. I like that version since, if I want to unlock the full one, its just a few simple button presses. But the drawback is, as you said, you need an update before you can even try the demo.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
JET1971 said:
medv4380 said:
JET1971 said:
TwiZtah said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Bigsmith said:
thanatos388 said:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.
snip
And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200.
snip.
Sorry i didnt want to scroll up but I am backing you here...

less than 30 seconds at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108938

less than 2 minutes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883203766

Someones argument holds water like a bucket made out of window screen.
You honestly think that the AMD Radeon HD 6320 and 6530D are valid gaming graphics cards? Maybe if you use photoshop for gaming.
They can run Skyrim though. Plus i never said they were great. Also i am still under the $1200 mark... should i post a top of the line graphics card? Or a few cheap ones that wont blink at skyrim?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121475
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

Still his 2 weeks nothing under $1200 is bullshit and a complete exageration.
Just ones that meet the minimum system requirements. One of those doesn't even have a 2ghz processor. I don't even think you'll get it to run on an E-450(1.65GHz). That processor is intended for cubicle work. Having it do much of anything outside of Office will kill it. Both of them also for some stupid reason have miss matched RAM so you're not even getting duel channel benefits. How about go to the Gaming PC section of New Egg and look them up their. You'll find some a for about 500$ but 2 years ago I'd probably tack on another 500 and to get a PC that would play Skyrim from 2 years ago would bell well into the 1200+ range.

But that basically highlights the problem. What you can get for cheep to play game that were made just recently will have to be replaced in a year or two with another 500$ machine. PC gaming is expensive if you go on the cheep unless you are yourself a tech capable of upgrading piece by piece. Even then you're going to end up buying 50 to 100 bucks worth in RAM and 100 to 200 for a graphics card every 2 - 3 years.

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
JET1971 said:
As for cars and houses, those come with warranties that protect you when that sort of thing happen and, yes, consoles can crap out leaving you out in the cold. But the price tag of a console is 250 bucks right now. They usually top out when they are new at 500 bucks. At least when I was PC gaming, if you wanted to play the latest games, you were gonna need to drop at least 700. I dropped that and put an average of 250 every year just to keep it up to date to play the new games, I was only going for the bare minimum. My console could have crapped out every year I and cost me as much just to keep the PC up to date in the same time frame minus the big splurge at the beginning.

The big point here is I don't have the money to pop 250 into a computer every year before playing the games. That's about my budget FOR the games now that I've got bills. As for saying it was a user fault more then the PC, yes, that's technically true. Even then, I didn't have the time to be building and rebuilding a PC so I left it to a friend who didn't charge and he ultimately made the mistake that screwed the whole thing but you don't need to worry about things going wrong when you upgrade a console because you don't have to upgrade it.

If you've got the money to buy the top of the line equipment and have a professional install every time you upgrade, sure a PC's better but who really has that kind of money?

Poisoned Al said:
Can't be bothered to sift through 6 pages of bile on my break. Sorry

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
PCs are better in every meaningful way. I can play any console-ish game on my PC, but you will never be able to play complex games like WoW, Arma, Unreal Tournament or any respectable RTS on a console.

Not to mention I can hook up my PC with a TV and a gamepad whenever I feel like if I want the console experience.

And what about the price? If you cannot into google, it's your own fault. Even if you do spend more on a PC, you will save more in the long run because of ridiculously low prices on games.

Let's not even start talking about mods, emulation and backwards compatibility.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
medv4380 said:
JET1971 said:
TwiZtah said:
Bigsmith said:
thanatos388 said:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.
snip
And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200.
snip.
Sorry i didnt want to scroll up but I am backing you here...

less than 30 seconds at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108938

less than 2 minutes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883203766

Someones argument holds water like a bucket made out of window screen.
You honestly think that the AMD Radeon HD 6320 and 6530D are valid gaming graphics cards? Maybe if you use photoshop for gaming.
if you're playing at 720 or 1080 it will run circles around the Xbox 360, and since most games are a port of console titles(which are made to run on six year old hardware) this should give you everything you will need for the next two or three years(at which time new consoles come out).

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
I don't argue anymore. I love my console, simple. If I could game on a PC then I would but I just can't be bothered. Xbox 360 has my favourite exclusives and I love RPGs which i prefer on consoles. Probably the main reason is the fact that no one I know plays PC, all my friends are on 360. I knew one person who converted to PC. He stopped talking to everyone and I never saw him since. PCs are better though, just can't be bothered or end up leaving my friends.
I'm a die-hard pc user, but this post makes sense.

Stick with your friends + games you like.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It's a good video but the thing is...I think it's a couple of years late. I noticed this back in 2008/2009 when I went from the Xbox 360 to the PS3. I remember being able to pop in Xbox360 games and go from there but setting up my PS3, I remember having a lot of down time waiting for all of the system updates and, for my games to install. I couldn't skip anything either and each game took between 10 to 25 minutes to properly install on the hard drive. It was like that for every single PS3 game I got too which really annoyed the Hell out of me and ultimately drove me away from the system. I don't encounter this so much with the Xbox 360 but the lack of free online multiplayer is very noticeable and, annoying and, stupid but I haven't really wanted to play a game online in a long while anyway. The problem comes from the fact that a lot of Xbox 360 games which do trumpet their multiplayer from the tops of every rooftop have very limited (if any) split-screen multiplayer options. Also the lack of bot matches this generation is something not even worth mentioning at this point...stupid current generation of games, driving me back to games from last gen.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Know all those viruses/adware you can get that really fuck up your console?
There's no "better" way to play games. And it's fucking stupid that people seem to feel there's a way people should be playing.

For me, I just enjoy the community on PS3 more. Xbox is full of teens that just yell and scream about noobs and racial slurs, and the PC community is full of elitist snobs that hate people who are new to playing games or assholes just looking for exploits to help them win. Played Hero Attack on SC2 alot before I got D3, and the level of contempt for those who just started was ridiculous. There was no aid, no help offered, no hints. Just GTFO, noob. And it's been that way for a long time. PS3 network? No one cares. There's some good-natured ribbing. Sometimes you get someone angry. But most of the time, people are really just there to play the game.

Although I do miss trolling people on XBL whenever I was playing coop with my buddy.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200. Which, including warranty, taxes and everything else probably costs at least $1400. And that's on LOWER settings.
gphjr14 said:
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.
Terminate421 said:
So now you bought a game you cannot use unless you spend more money to UPGRADE the PC.
ಠ_ಠ not this myth again. Seriously folks. This shit gets OLD. I can run Skyrim on custom high (some settings tweaked/modded) on a PC from early 2009 that cost me £600. Not being able to find something for under $1500 (£1000) is just pain baffling.

I could knock you up a system for £300-£400 that would beat the pants of Skyrim on med/high. Infact Scan (UK supplier but still an example) is selling a system that has 100% of bits you would need (including HDDs, Disk Drives etc etc) for £500 that is actually very high end. So if you bought a £100 GPU that's a full high end system for £600. That took me all of 30 seconds.

I'm starting to think PCs are cheaper in the UK because my comp is just over a year old and set me back just over a thousand USD (not counting the HD that failed after a year and needed to be replaced, a decent mouse ect.) but is a piece of garbage that cant manage medium settings on anything nice looking.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I have to agree with this video's premise as well. And this coming from a guy who isn't a PC gamer (I have 1000+ hours of TF2 logged...on my Mac). I will buy/build a gaming rig over buying a console in the coming years because of this. The convenience factor has been obliterated. The cost of the new consoles will likely be in the ballpark of what a moderately good gaming PC will cost.

I see just one advantage for consoles nowadays, really: The used market. And that advantage is negated or severely mitigated by the better prices and extreme sales.

Oh...and motion controls...I guess. If you're into that.

And think of some of the advantages people tend to overlook: Namely, the staggeringly colossal back catalog of games. People think of the PC for intense graphics. I think of it as a library of great games throughout all the years.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Boom. I win. Great PC game with meh graphics.

The Rainmaker

Jun 21, 2009
I disagree with that statement, you can say it's easy to just hook a PC into the TV and play it like that, but that's still not easy or accessible. I have no idea what kind of wiring is required or how to do it (I'm technologically inept, I admit it, and so are a lot of gamers) and I also have no idea what kind of controller works for PC or how it works. It's just way simpler with a console. Besides, a stationary PC would take up half my apartment so even if I wanted a gaming rig, I still can't fit one where I live (I'm writing this on a laptop).

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Great episode, great points, but should be worth pointing out that if you're the kind of person who is overwhelmed by PCs and PC gaming, and just wants to spend $200 on a machine that plugs into a TV and that's the end of it, you have every right and are completely justified in doing it. The "consoles are bad PCs" argument only works on purely objective merits; once you mix in personal, subjective opinion and circumstance, the whole thing falls apart slightly.

trollpwner said:
Well, might as well add something to kick off the inevitable shit-storm.

*ahem*

P.C. gamers, could you please note that consoles are bad now, not because of weak processing or worse controls, but because of how they are being used by publishers. Therefore, they are not inherently evil and wrong, as some elitist minority jerks seem to insist.
They are inherently old though. GO GO GADGET WII U!

qwagor

Mar 18, 2009
I'm a PC gamer not because I have a lot of money, but because I don't. 12 years ago I bought DVD-ROM, and moved my PC to living room cause it was cheaper then buying DVD player (region free was a bonus), and I never looked back since. Whatever new technology was pushed out afterwards, it was always cheaper to upgrade then to buy new gadget. DTS, 5.1 speakers, Blu-ray, and especially AAA games would have been out of my reach if it weren't for good old PC. I didn't have 425GBP for PS3 when it launched (although I did buy one a couple of years ago for my son), but I did have 150GBP for new processor, RAM, and graphics card that would put my PC way out of reach of the Spider-man branded usurper...
Right now we have a decent PC, with wireless keyboard, mouse, XBOX controllers hooked to a 51" TV and 7.1 speakers delivering an all round entertainment experience that would otherwise cost thousands of pounds.

P.S. also this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introducing-the-digital-foundry-pc

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
That's exactly why I sold my Xbox 360, only a year after a friend sold it to me at a bargain, I was beginning to think, a few months later, "Uhhmmm... the graphics suck, the thing is maddeningly noisy (old model without installing to HDD), I'm not even slightly impressed by Xbox Live, it's a fucking pain in the ass to even use Messenger with the controller, the "play your own music in game" service is a bad joke and I just can't do anything that I already had on the PC, why should I keep this piece of shit?... well... there's Halo... and Gears of War... and expensive XBLA games...".

IMHO, a console is just not worth it, it's just a shitty PC and the games are so freaking expensive (seriously, any new game here costs like $71 US dollars, even freaking Mario Galaxy 2), I only had like 16 games on the Xbox (8 in disc, 8 XBLA), against 300+ PC games... and growing.

Yes, a PC is expensive and sometimes it's a pain to get some games to run, old & new, but I just think that it's completely worth it, also I definitely can afford it's much lower prices in games, also, I don't get to pay for shitty services like Xbox Live.

And yes, I love to play PC games (especially Skyrim) with a wireless Xbox 360 controller, connected to an HDTV and me sitting on a couch.